All Topics / Help Needed! / Loan from mortgage broker – is this a good deal?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • Profile photo of minds-eyeminds-eye
    Participant
    @minds-eye

Hi Guys, I am not sure if I am getting the best deal. I am a First home buyer buying an Investment Property + living for 6 months to quality for FHOG. Here are the details:

$490K purchase price

$50K deposit

Features: Interest only w/ 100% offset. $20K Credit Card facility charged @ loan rate (not really neccessary).

Rate: Fixed for 1yr 4.99% then afterwards variable which is currently 5.51%

I appreciate any feedback or advice. Thanks!

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

He/she would be in a better position to advise you of the best product best he/she would have asked numerous question to clarify your needs.

That aside, im not a big fan of this deal because you are pulled in by the credit card at home loan rates but you are forking out a higher interest for the life of the loan and it would cost you more than $1,000 to move. If you do the numbers it actually isn't a very good deal.

Also why are you fixing for one year and also why are you fixing for 4.99% (that is not a particuarly good rate)?

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

High variable rate.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of minds-eyeminds-eye
    Participant
    @minds-eye

Hi Shahin,

Thanks for the feedback. I didnt think it was the best rate out there.

Perhaps it was due to the contract nature of my work (mining company making $130K, I move around a bit but I have been here for around 1.5 years now). Other lenders perhaps didnt want to take the risk on me?

Fixing for 1or2 years was the suggestion of the mortgage broker due to the low rates on offer at the moment. To be honest I dont NEED fixed.

Do you know of any lenders who offer a similar product? I really would like to compare.

Otherwise, if anyone wants to take this offline and can get me finance before 28 August, I'd probably consider switching brokers!

Participant
    @thefinanceshop

You are at a 95% LVR so please don't apply around with different banks unless you are 100% sure of the plan ahead. Also choose a product that will support your strategy longer term. For example, you may want to build 3 dwellings on the property in 3 years time – so you don't want to choose a lender today that does not accommodate that.

Ascertaining finance prior to the 28th August is not an issue but again you don't want to have multiple hits on your credit file.

Also lets see what happens on Tuesday – the buzz is that rates are going to drop. 

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @thefinanceshop

Also your employment is not of concern – you are on a great income which is great becuase one of the many things that lenders "credit score" on is servicing.

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of PLCPLC
    Participant
    @plc

Like Shahin mentioned, your broker would know more about it than us, but my guess is that they have offered the $20K credit card to cover stamp duty costs, etc (the only time you would really need it) so that you can use the deposit on the property and lower your loan LVR and LMI. Whether it's the best way forward is another issue.

Cheers

Tom

PLC | Phoenix Loan Consulting
    Email Me | Phone Me

Melbourne based Mortgage Broker | Making Finance Simple

Profile photo of GrantMckGrantMck
    @grantmck

HI,

There are various products in the market place which can become confusing. As noted in previous posts, the Broker should have completed a Client Assessment to understand your needs and what you are trying to achieve. For a Mortgage Broker to advise you to fix, I believe is stepping over the boundaries of their advise that they can give. Only you can really decide to Fix or keep Variable, always remember if you need to sell the property because your circumstances have changed, with Fixed Rates there will be exit costs which could run in to the tens of thousands, dependent on time and interest rates

Looking at your description of the facility, it looks similar to a Hpmeloans offer. If it is Homeloans and the product that I think it is, there is an Offset (on the Term Loan) and a Line of Credit, as well as a Secured Visa Card at the Line of Credit loan rate. (Across all lenders a Line of Credit is always charged at a higher interest rate than a standard loan), 

The term loan should be at at around 10 basis points less (0.10%) than the Line of Credit. 

The loan product is ideally suited for high income earners with lower deposits, so the lending can actually exceed 100% Loan to Value Ratio when the Secured Visa Card is taken into consideration. (not included in the LVR calculation) The lender will allow you to use the Secured Credit Card for the likes of Payment of Loan Application Fees, Payment of Stamp Duty, Payment of Solicitor Costs, any loan fees or purchase costs.

Something I want for you to note moving forward, beware Lines of Credit that start as a Personal Debt on your Principle Place of Residence (PPR), and in the future turns into Investment Debt when you decide to make the property an Investment Property. At the time of this transition, I strongly recommend that you note the balance of all loans and discuss with your Accountant your cash flow scenario, as you do not want to ever mix Personal and Investment Transactions in a Line of Credit, the ATO do not like it and you may find that you turn Investment Debt into Personal Debt when it is an Investment Property by doing so.

In the above scenario I would look at maximizing the offset with my cash flow, and in the future looking at any savings/cash in the offset to move into further property transactions, and leave the Line of Credit as is.

Please note that I am neutral with the loan product offered, as it does come down to the client and their personal circumstances.

We assist a lot of clients in forming a Strategy, and this should always be considered very early in the process, usually before finalizing a loan structure to make sure that you will achieve what you want to achieve in the future.

I hope this is not confusing, but if so, please do not hesitate to ask any questions.

Regards Grant

Participant
    @minds-eye

Thanks Shahin, Tom and Grant for your responses. It is extremely helpful to have input straight from the professionals. I could not have survived without this forum.

Based on your responses and my careful consideration, I have decided to drop the credit card feature (which co-incidently came with a $20K LOC loan). My reasoning for this is because as a first home buyer, my buying costs are already extremely low. I already have a good level of savings, budget and the ability to cover my expenses without the need for a credit card. And BTW, you guys were right in that the rate for this is 0.1 – 0.2 points higher than the regular rate.

@grant:

Thanks for clarifying the extent of the Fixed period break fees. I cannot see myself selling before 1.5 years, so I think 1 year Fixed should be fine for me.

I also readily agree with you regarding mixing personal and investment debt. I would much rather keep things as simple as possible by using my Offset savings to fund my next property purchase in 1-2 years time. 

The problem with my Mortgage broker is that he doesn't feel the need to include me on much of the process, and his level of communication is very poor. In the end he presented me with what he believed was the best loan (without any evidence or comparisons). Only when I receive the documents to sign, I notice he has signed me up with these features which I do not necessarily need. I think I will get what I desire in the end, however due to these issues I am not very happy with the service and I will not be using him again.

Profile photo of jenny111jenny111
    Participant
    @jenny111

Hi. 

Could someone please let me know which lenders offer a visa with 20K limit to cover for purchase costs, yet the limit is not included in the LVR calculation? And what the criteria would be? Is genuine savings is required and spread over what period? Thanks.

Regards,

Jenny111 

Participant
    @minds-eye

Hi Jenny,

I believe the 20K was included in the LVR calculation in this occasion.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw
    jenny111 wrote:
    Hi. 

Could someone please let me know which lenders offer a visa with 20K limit to cover for purchase costs, yet the limit is not included in the LVR calculation? And what the criteria would be? Is genuine savings is required and spread over what period? Thanks.

Regards,

Jenny111 

Adelaide bank possibly. $20k visa card in addition to the property loan. Can’t be used before settlement.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Participant
    @jenny111

another bank I was told was Bendigo and that the $20K visa usage would not be accessible until about 2 weeks 'after' settlement, which was no use to me, as I would have to borrow elsewhere for the amount for this period in order to pay for the stamp duty costs 'at' settlement.

@grantmck

Hi Jenny111,

Homeloans is the lender that offers this loan package. Following is an example, (Please note that the interest rates may differ at anytime and the following is simply an example)

$400k Purchase

Term Loan with 100% Offset @5.79%pa

$360k (included in LVR: Max 95% ($12k LMI not included in LVR)

Plus

Line of Credit @5.89%

$20k (included in LVR: Max 95%)

Plus

Secured Visa Card SVC @5.89%

$20k not included in LVR. 

= Total Borrowing $412k

The SVC can be used for the following purposes: Payment of Loan Application Fees, Payment of Stamp Duty, Payment of Solicitor Costs and any Loan Fee or Purchase cost.

The SVC CANNOT be used for: Deposit, to consolidate debt or refinance any part of existing debt.

Other points to note about the SVC:

Drawn down at settlement and the card is then sent out and received approximately 2 weeks later,

Minimum limit $500, maximum limit $20,000,

SVC credit limit included in servicing at 3% of limit, but NO LVR calculation,

Up to 55 days Interest Free,

The LOC must remain open for the SVC to operate, as these two accounts are linked.

Regards Grant

Participant
    @thefinanceshop

The danger with this deal is that a) you are paying a premium on the interest and b) both Homeloans and Adelaide bank bagded products have very restrictive policies so its crucial that the OP takes all this into consideration when choosing a lender.

Bottom line – talk to your broker and banker and ensure that they have asked you questions about what you want to do with the property in the future so that that lender's policy fits well with your needs. LMI is not transferrable/portable so at 95% LVR this topic becomes so important.

Email Me | Phone Me

@grantmck

Hi Shahin,

I agree, every persons circumstances are different and a full understanding of clients needs and personal circumstance should be taken by a broker before any product comparisons are presented.

Regards Grant

Participant
    @jenny111

Thanks, Grant.  I don't remember whether it was Homeloans or another broking house, but I was told that the 5% MUST come from genuine savings (i.e.: no exemption).  Does Homeloans require 5% in genuine saving?

Hi Shahin, what did you mean by 'OP' when you said: "The danger with this deal is that a) you are paying a premium on the interest and b) both Homeloans and Adelaide bank bagded products have very restrictive policies so its crucial that the OP takes all this into consideration when choosing a lender".

Regards,

Jenny111

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Higher rate and some restrictive policies – one that comes to mind with Adelaide is cashouts at high LVRs are a nightmare…and I don't think they're even possible above 85%

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

@grantmck

Hi Jenny,

Yes you will need 5% Genuine Savings, all lenders nowadays with Loan to Value Ratios over 80% want to see Genuine Savings.

Regards Grant

Participant
    @thefinanceshop

Hi Jenny – Jaime pretty much summed up well. Lender policy is a big big book so it is circumstantial but since LMI is not portable you need to ensure that the lender chosen at a 95% lend is the right one as it could prove expensive moving lenders and paying LMI again.

Email Me | Phone Me

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.