All Topics / Overseas Deals / Japan – Bottomed Out?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Profile photo of Ziv Nakajima-MagenZiv Nakajima-Magen
    Participant
    @zmagen

Some interesting recent links, both property and general business related, which cause many to believe Japan’s economy, in the doldrums since the early nineties, may be ready to pick up the Asian economy giant gloves once more (just imagine, 10-15% cashflow AND CG :p what a wet, albeit speculative, dream) –

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2013-04-18/mcdonald-s-japan-to-boost-burger-price-first-time-since-2008 (McDonalds boost burger prices for the first time in 5 years)

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/regions/asia-pacific/japan/130430/property-demand-japan-tokyo-increases (corporate profitability puts heat on commercial property demand & office vacancies)

http://blogs.wsj.com/japanrealtime/2013/05/13/weak-yen-helps-push-high-end-real-estate-sales/ (high-end properties rise on back of weakened yen)

http://business.financialpost.com/2013/05/08/canada-pension-plan-teams-up-with-ge-capital-in-japan/ (Canada pension plan/GE capital putting $405 mil into Japan RE)

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-02-14/nippon-prologis-set-to-rise-in-tokyo-debut-after-1-billion-ipo.html (Prologis industrial REIT takes off in a big way)

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/11/business/global/pro-inflation-policies-show-signs-of-helping-japan-economy.html (“Abenomics” initial signs re-assuring)

Fukuoka, where we’ve been purchasing extensively since 2011, has already exhibited slight price rises – whether this will translate into actual gains is yet to be seen. In any case, exciting times ahead for the land of the rising sun (cue Freckle/Kyle Bass/Nostradamus…)

Ziv Nakajima-Magen | Nippon Tradings International (NTI)
    http://www.nippontradings.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Ziv Nakajima-Magen - Partner & Executive Manager, Asia-Pacific @ NTI - Japan Real-Estate Investment Property

Profile photo of FreckleFreckle
    Blocked
    @freckle

ROFL….

Japan’s Vacant And Abandoned Houses: Visions of Detroit 

The Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications surveys vacant houses every five years, splitting them into two categories: houses that could be rented, sold, or used as secondary houses; and abandoned houses. Over the fifteen years from 1993 to 2008, according to the most recent survey, total vacant houses ballooned by 72% to 7.57 million. They made up 13.1% of all houses nationwide, the highest proportion ever. Vacant but still usable houses increased by 63% to 4.88 million. And abandoned houses jumped by 91% to 2.68 million.

It’s not just in small towns suffering from depopulation, as the young migrate to urban centers. Over the decade through 2008, the number of abandoned houses in Tokyo jumped 60% to 190,000; and in Osaka 70% to 180,000! That was in 2008, before the financial crisis slammed into the housing market. Since then, the abandoned-house phenomenon has gotten worse.

JGBs Suffer Worst 4 Days In 10 Years As Nikkei Tops 15,000 First Time Since Jan 2008

This is what is going on in JGBs… JGBs were able to rally since smart money was hedging significantly (and not selling) but once the initial clusterf*&k exploded after the BoJ meeting (and protection costs soared), it seems clear that JGBs just became far too expensive to hold given their risk and so protection was unwound and positions were reduced… which is why we are now seeing JGB yields jumping…

Russia's Plan For The BRICS To Dismantle The Dollar System

The goals are clear. In the section titled “Strategic goals,” the first point on the BRICS’ agenda is the reform of the world financial system in order to make it “fairer, more stable, and more efficient.” In the later chapters, it is spelled clearly that this “reform” is actually a dismantling of the dollar system.

The problem with delusional optimists is they're usually the last to see it coming.

Of course this will all end well……

Blocked
    @freckle

— The legality of rights among family members is complicated and multiple heirs are involved.

— The heirs live far away and do not have a good understanding of how to maintain vacant houses.

— The heirs cannot afford to maintain the house.

When I read that I almost choked on my chips. You actually believe that rubbish. Property has so little value that it's a liability (or Japanese are so rich) that can be left to rot??

JGB's Yes everything's under control. CB's are masters of the universe and their ability to control markets and economies is well within their capability. Agh what was that you said? After 20 years of trying to fix the Japanese economy we are convinced if only we do WAY MOAR that will absolutely fix it for sure. That makes so much sense now you've clarified that for me.

Yes, it's a fire – a purposeful, controlled one.

Ziv you have to get past "everything's a conspiracy theory" when it doesn't jive with your naive view of the world. 

Profile photo of Ziv Nakajima-MagenZiv Nakajima-Magen
    Participant
    @zmagen
    Freckle wrote:
    — The legality of rights among family members is complicated and multiple heirs are involved.

— The heirs live far away and do not have a good understanding of how to maintain vacant houses.

— The heirs cannot afford to maintain the house.

not believing the above shows very little understanding of the Japanese people who traditionally own these "houses", or the state of the properties in question themselves. Yes, I believe the above whole-heartedly. The property obsession most of the western and asian world is in the midst of is quite lost on most Japanese folk, particularly the older generations who lived through the last bust of the early nineties. Read some about the Japanese financial mentality, particularly as far as property investment is concerned, then let's have this conversation again.

Quote:
    …That makes so much sense now you've clarified that for me…

no, you're right, it's all the evil Russians and braillizans' fault. How could I have been so blind. Come on, man, you used to do better than that.

Email Me | Phone Me

Ziv Nakajima-Magen - Partner & Executive Manager, Asia-Pacific @ NTI - Japan Real-Estate Investment Property

Blocked
    @freckle
    zmagen wrote:

Freckle wrote:
    …That makes so much sense now you've clarified that for me…

no, you're right, it's all the evil Russians and braillizans' fault. How could I have been so blind. Come on, man, you used to do better than that.

Now you're mismatching my quotes. My quote (above) was in reference to JGB's but you've aligned it to Russia's attempt to usurp the US dollar reserve status. If your defense is to misquote me then I can't be bothered.

Participant
    @zmagen

My mistake, your BRIC conspiracy saga came directly after the JGB graph – I naturally assumed it was a continuation of the same line of thought. I stand corrected – please, enlighten me, how is Russia's document relevant to this discussion and the news items originally posted?

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @zmagen

Not sure what you wanted to say with those abandoned houses there – here's the summary of the article your zerohedge friend, who's intent, like you, on spreading his agenda of "short Japan, all hell is breaking loose!!!" conveniently forgot to incorporate into his so-called article/post – as he copied and pasted only the relevant parts, then added his own "spin" on them (a spin that exists only in his mind. the facts, however, are copied and pasted from the Japan Times – but the newspaper also continues to offer an explanation, which your friend didn't like that much -) Why have the figures increased even in urban areas?Hidetaka Yoneyama, a senior fellow of Fujitsu Research Institute and an expert on issues related to unoccupied houses, said many of the houses in question are about 50 years old and were built during the period of rapid economic growth from the mid-1950s to the early 1970s. With the rising trend toward homes shared by only nuclear family members, the owners' children ceased living together and the house became vacant after the parents died. Even if children inherit the houses and land, the homes are usually eventually abandoned for such reasons as: — The legality of rights among family members is complicated and multiple heirs are involved. — The heirs live far away and do not have a good understanding of how to maintain vacant houses. — The heirs cannot afford to maintain the house. In some cases, if vacant houses are demolished, new homes cannot be built on the same land.The Building Standards Law stipulates that a plot of land with a building on it must in principle open onto a road at least four meters wide. A strip of land at least two meters wide must also connect to the road to allow for emergency vehicle access. But some plots with unoccupied houses do not meet these conditions. Also, if owners demolish abandoned houses and leave the land vacant, they will no longer be eligible for a reduction or exemption from the fixed asset tax for residential land. If a plot of land measures less than 200 square meters, the taxable value of the land alone would jump sixfold from the tax base before demolition of a vacant house on the land. As for the JGB market – we've chewed this issue to death, but here we go again – No, Freckle, rising government bond yields are NOT always an imminent sign of an economy spiralling towards oblivion – sometimes they reflect expectations for growth and inflation, for instance (here's a lengthier explanation – http://monetaryaffairs.blogspot.com.au/2013/04/jgbs-imitate-usts-post-quantitative.html), much in the same way that a grandiose public debt on paper isn't always what it seems in reality, particularly in countries where the households save close to 10% of GDP per year. In short, to go back to your favourite bushfire metaphor which pictures me as the blind optimist – you're screaming "fire, fire" and jumping up and down a lot at the first sign of smoke, regardless of its source (why? beats me…either you like a good panic for personal reasons, or it some other purpose) while the person (Abe, in this case) who's making the stew looks at you with a raised eyebrow thinking ("well, how the hell did he expect me to cook without it?"). Yes, it's a fire – a purposeful, controlled one. Sure, fires can go out of control if left unchecked, and cause some significant damage – but most of them don't, and can make for a great utility since about caveman day. As for the last link, please, can we not go into that here? :))) I mean, conspiracy theories are great and all, I love a good yarn myself, but to bring it up in this discussion (eg "Japan will fall because Russia, Brazil, India and China are on a global dollar-deletion mission") is a bit too much even for a sci-fi buff like myself… Any chance to get some reference to the original news items, or are you just here to blow the fire some more with your back to the board again? If you are, I'll have to ask you to leave the classroom, we're here to discuss things – rationally – not have a muddy-screaming-panic-day-feast, as much as you love those. Focus, please.

Email Me | Phone Me

Blocked
    @freckle

Japan holds the largest pool of USD foreign currency reserves. That enables it to exert some control over it own currency relative to others.

Russia making public its intention to see the USD reserve status dismantled was a clear indication of their frustration with US control and influence in international markets. It's not new but a public announcement signals to all the other countries suffering under US financial dominance that their tolerance level has been exceeded.

Chavez tried to organise the Sth Americans into a monetary bloc, Gaddafi did the same with Africa, Saddam Hussien tried to beat UN sanctions and and trade oil outside the petro dollar,  China has quietly been moving to direct currency transactions that circumvent the expensive and bureaucratic cost of USD based transactions and so it goes. 40% of international transactions that were completed in USD's are now done outside the USD. That's a growing trend.

When (not if) the USD looses its reserve status then Japan will have to rejig its foreign currency holdings. That's likely to affect its ability to control its own currency to a certain extent. Given the parlous state of the Japanese economy the degree of control they could exert in a crises may or may not be a good thing.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw
    Freckle wrote:
    ROFL….

Japan’s Vacant And Abandoned Houses: Visions of Detroit 

The Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications surveys vacant houses every five years, splitting them into two categories: houses that could be rented, sold, or used as secondary houses; and abandoned houses. Over the fifteen years from 1993 to 2008, according to the most recent survey, total vacant houses ballooned by 72% to 7.57 million. They made up 13.1% of all houses nationwide, the highest proportion ever. Vacant but still usable houses increased by 63% to 4.88 million. And abandoned houses jumped by 91% to 2.68 million.

It’s not just in small towns suffering from depopulation, as the young migrate to urban centers. Over the decade through 2008, the number of abandoned houses in Tokyo jumped 60% to 190,000; and in Osaka 70% to 180,000! That was in 2008, before the financial crisis slammed into the housing market. Since then, the abandoned-house phenomenon has gotten worse.

JGBs Suffer Worst 4 Days In 10 Years As Nikkei Tops 15,000 First Time Since Jan 2008

This is what is going on in JGBs… JGBs were able to rally since smart money was hedging significantly (and not selling) but once the initial clusterf*&k exploded after the BoJ meeting (and protection costs soared), it seems clear that JGBs just became far too expensive to hold given their risk and so protection was unwound and positions were reduced… which is why we are now seeing JGB yields jumping…

Russia's Plan For The BRICS To Dismantle The Dollar System

The goals are clear. In the section titled “Strategic goals,” the first point on the BRICS’ agenda is the reform of the world financial system in order to make it “fairer, more stable, and more efficient.” In the later chapters, it is spelled clearly that this “reform” is actually a dismantling of the dollar system.

The problem with delusional optimists is they're usually the last to see it coming.

Of course this will all end well……

Interesting about the vacant houses. My mother in law owns a terrace in Osaka and its been vacant for 7 years. 10min from Osaka station. MIL’s sister also owns a terrace next door vacant for 10 years +. I ask them why not renovated and lease out and they say it would cost to much for the little return. Not worth it.

However, in general I think things are beginning to pick up in Japan. The main problem was a lack of confidence I think. But now people are starting to see some economic hope again. This may lead to move spending and this would stimulate the economy…

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Blocked
    @freckle
    Terryw wrote:
    Interesting about the vacant houses. My mother in law owns a terrace in Osaka and its been vacant for 7 years. 10min from Osaka station. MIL's sister also owns a terrace next door vacant for 10 years +. I ask them why not renovated and lease out and they say it would cost to much for the little return. Not worth it.

Interesting. My Apologies to Ziv.

That however concerns me even more. One of the primary assets (wealth classes) of a nation is its property. What you're saying is that property is virtually worthless apart from its utility value. Given that property has been deflating for decades and the true savings rate is negative I tend to see a nation with its back to wall financially. 

Quote:
    However, in general I think things are beginning to pick up in Japan. The main problem was a lack of confidence I think. But now people are starting to see some economic hope again. This may lead to move spending and this would stimulate the economy…

I watched a doco the other night on Madagascar's poor. There was a single mother with 5 kids living on an outer city street corner. She'd been there for a few years and it was her bit of security. Beside it was a skip bin which was her sole source of income. Scavenging from the bin produced enough 'stuff' to sell at the semi clandestine night markets. She got 0.01 for 8 plastic bottles and 0.01 for 5 cans. She had an odd assortment of just about everything which she sold for whatever pennies she could get. Interestingly she was very upbeat and optimistic about her future prospects for herself and children.

Profile photo of JT7JT7
    @jt7
    zmagen wrote:
    My mistake, your BRIC conspiracy saga came directly after the JGB graph – I naturally assumed it was a continuation of the same line of thought. I stand corrected – please, enlighten me, how is Russia's document relevant to this discussion and the news items originally posted?

The Freckle brings up some very relevant points…..

I certainly wouldn't dismiss it as a 'conspiracy saga'.

Central banks are simply printing their way out of this mess causing fiat currencies to devalue and the market to be flooded with easy money. As a result Wall Street is racing to new highs but for how long….? How long can the facade last I wonder?

Those BRIC nations are stocking up on physical gold bullion at a absolute bargain at the moment….. 

China economy will overtake the US in a matter of a few short years…… Conspiracy…? I'm not so sure…..

Participant
    @zmagen
    Freckle wrote:

When (not if) the USD looses its reserve status then Japan will have to rejig its foreign currency holdings. That's likely to affect its ability to control its own currency to a certain extent. Given the parlous state of the Japanese economy the degree of control they could exert in a crises may or may not be a good thing.

I quite agree, but that's a hell of a long haul from the "abandon all hope ye who enter here" approach that you've been preaching above and in similar discussions. All it is really is one hint of one possible scenario that may or may not be bad news for Japan to some degree or another (and for many other countries in a similar situation). Similar things can be said regarding assets in a plethora of other environments down the track. I'm glad you've come down to earth a bit. If you wanted to say that holding assets in only one country and/or only in one currency is a risky business, I couldn't agree with you more.

JT7 wrote:
    Those BRIC nations are stocking up on physical gold bullion at a absolute bargain at the moment….. China economy will overtake the US in a matter of a few short years…… Conspiracy…? I'm not so sure…..

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough – the conspiracy theory reference was to the fact that freckle advocates that the sorry state of the USD and the intentions of russia to devalue it will indisputably and definitely lead to the fall of Japan's economic system – ridiculous, for the reason mentioned above. To claim that any group of nations' opinions and efforts to combat currency supremacy by another's are the main and sure reason for the future demise of another nation is not just impossible to predict, but also ridiculous in the sense that it puts the fate of one or more nations in the hands of another or several others. The world is a bit more complex than that.

Freckle wrote:
    What you're saying is that property is virtually worthless apart from its utility value…

No, what he's saying (confirming what I was saying) is that Japanese people have lost faith in their own property market in most part, of twenty years of declining values. The reason for this, except for the obvious, is also deeply rooted in the Japanese psyche and mentality, in much the same way that the vast majority of people who hear that Japan is currently a lot easier to live in, cost of living wise, than Australia for instance, think I'm pulling their leg – because they've still got the mantras of twenty years ago firmly stuck in their minds ("Tokyo is the most expensive city in the world" etc – this hasn't been the case for over a decade, but most of the world hasn't noticed). I'll bet you a hundred bucks right now that Terry's relatives haven't checked on the price or renovations to their units for the last ten years or so, or if they have, they may have checked with the wrong contractors – if they would have, they'd have been pleasantly surprised (incidentally, terry, we'd be more than happy to show them how the money they've lost over the last 7-10 years would have most likely already paid for their renovations – if not more). Foreign big money, however, isn't subject to these lingering mantras of the past – and while Goldman Sachs, much like the Lehman brothers, cannot predict the future, they sure as hell can calculate returns, costs and purchase expenses in the present – which is why they, like many other, bigger players, have been purchasing in Japan like crazy since late 2011. Freckle, I've yet to see you address even one of the news items mentioned above – would you care to, or is MSM, as you like to abbreviate the worlds media channels, and just about everybody they're reporting is active in this space, just so full of gunk and inferior to your superior analysis capabilities that you just can't be bothered?

Email Me | Phone Me

Blocked
    @freckle
    zmagen wrote:
    Freckle, I've yet to see you address even one of the news items mentioned above – would you care to, or is MSM, as you like to abbreviate the worlds media channels, and just about everybody they're reporting is active in this space, just so full of gunk and inferior to your superior analysis capabilities that you just can't be bothered?

You realise I don't do this for just anybody.

Maca's

“Our pricing policy is demand-based and not cost-based, so it’s not because of increasing material price,” he said.

Yeah right. 

Property demand in Japan heats up

Written by CRE investment firm!!! An article based on wishful thinking and hopium.

Weak Yen Helps Push High-End Real Estate Sales

So demand is being driven by a price crash in foreign currency terms. Quote; “For outside investors, these properties have essentially become 30% cheaper,” said Mr. Mochizuki, referring to the 27% drop of the yen versus the dollar since November last year.

Locally it's seeing a 10% increase but in comparative currency terms it's crashed. The stupidity I see here is the foreign investors must think the yen depreciation has bottomed. When in fact there are predictions that the yen will continue on to US1.45 at least and if things get away from the BOJ we could see US1.90

Canada Pension Plan teams up with GE Capital on Japan real estate

Same as above. More muppets playing with OPM but collecting huge fees regardless of how this works out.

Nippon Prologis Jumps in Debut After $1 Billion IPO: Tokyo Mover

A REIT play based on an assumption BOJ QE will stimulate the economy. Didn't work for the US, hasn't worked for Europe. But of course it will work in Japan. Not.

A reality check.

ToT continues to deteriorate even with massive QE and currency manipulation. Export volumes are up but so are import volumes. Next 2 graphs.

Japan posted a trade deficit of 364 billion yen in March, falling into the red for the eighth consecutive month

Production is still contracting even with a weakening yen.

GDP still remains below trend and is only marginally positive.

Inventories continue to contract. Where is all this demand for logistics warehouses going to come from??

Deflation still remains entrenched and has actually worsened.

Capacity utilisation is improving albeit still struggling to surpass 2002 levels. Pre GFC!!!

Global demand continues to contract. 

BoT remains negative along with ToT. 

A current account surplus is just managing to keep Japan's head above water.

Blocked
    @freckle

Ziv you might think I'm a bit over the top with the Japan bashing thing but I have a simple philosophy; if you see a fire yell fire. 

Participant
    @zmagen
    Freckle wrote:
    “Our pricing policy is demand-based and not cost-based, so it’s not because of increasing material price,” he said.

Yeah right. 

So you’re basically saying the increase IS due to increasing material price…considering McDonald’s Japan pride themselves on using local produce, it almost sounds as if the two decade long trend of deflation is being arrested/reversed…nah, couldn’t be.

Freckle wrote:
    Property demand in Japan heats up

Written by CRE investment firm!!! An article based on wishful thinking and hopium.

Right…how about the wallstreet journal, CNBC & business week then (to name only a few)? Wishful thinkers, the lot of them, I take it –

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324789504578380473664467496.html (WSJ)
    http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000165927 (CNBC)
    http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-11-29/japans-property-market-comes-back-to-life (BW)
    http://qz.com/66531/after-more-than-two-decades-of-stagnation-japans-property-market-may-be-coming-back-to-life/ (Quarz)
    http://www.worldpropertychannel.com/asia-pacific-commercial-news/-japan-office-market-2013-abenomics-japanese-real-estate-trusts-6764.php (WPC)

I can go on and on and on, (as could you, I’m sure) but you get the point – this is no more “wishful thinking” than your own “wishful thinking” of pending doom and gloom – reality is neither euphoric nor suicidal – it’s just reality, and it can point in oh so many directions, which is what I was saying in the original post – that these MAY be signs of capital growth returning over the next few years, and certainly are better news than we’ve been seeing come out of Japan for the last two decades or so. While this may not be the case (only time will tell, certainly not you, me or Paul Krugman or Kyle Bass), it certainly also isn’t the case of sure-fired destruction you’re trying to portray here. So no, you’re not over the top in your Japan bashing – you’re just over the top in bashing anything which doesn’t subscribe to your own investment preferences. Basically, your attitude has been, is and most likely will remain “it’s my way or the highway”, without really giving too much regard to what it actually is you’re bashing in this particular case. And before you accuse me of blaming the messenger, I’ll remind you that the messenger doesn’t really exercise any real discrimination between the subjects of his various messages either (US yesterday, Europe tomorrow, and the flavour of the moment happens to be Japan for you).

Freckle wrote:
    …foreign investors must think the yen depreciation has bottomed. When in fact there are predictions that the yen will continue on to US1.45 at least and if things get away from the BOJ we could see US1.90…

Not sure which foreign investors you’re referring to – maybe you’ve run across a great many acquaintances who hold this view. Personally, my view (and, as far as I can tell, that of the vast majority of our clients), is nothing of the sort. As mentioned countless times before, we invest in various countries in currencies, and not with funds we would need in a hurry either (as I suspect most savvy RE investors do). We did this when the yen was at 85, we’re still doing it when it’s at 100, and will most likely continue doing so if it hits 145 (to which “there are predictions” as you mysteriously allude…not even “most predictions” ;)) – if and when it drops (something that we certainly don’t claim to hold the crystal-balling exclusivity to, and nor do you, we normally leave the funds in Japan, to utilize further purchases, improvements, etc (because the further it drops, the better the deals become normally). If and when it rises, we may choose to bring our incomes back home. In any case, this is – I repeat as I’ve done dozens of times in these discussions with you – A LONG TERM PLAY. Your panic mongering may strike a chord with investors who were planning to withdraw their income every month or six – certainly not a strategy I’ve ever advised anyone to pursue in international REI, in Japan or anywhere else in the world, and certainly not a strategy I hold to be very wise, regardless of where in the world one invests, as it shows immense lack of planning and risk analysis.

Freckle wrote:
    Canada Pension Plan teams up with GE Capital on Japan real estate

Same as above. More muppets playing with OPM but collecting huge fees regardless of how this works out.

Freckle wrote:
    Nippon Prologis Jumps in Debut After $1 Billion IPO: Tokyo Mover

A REIT play based on an assumption BOJ QE will stimulate the economy.

Ok, now I’m starting to get the picture. It doesn’t really matter how many players are active anywhere or how big/small they are, nor what their previous record is – when they align with your views, such as flocks of panicky investors shorting a currency after every unsavoury CB announcement , they’re “in the know” and are “fairly switched on cookies”. When they act based on an idea you’re not in agreement with, they immediately become “muppets, speculators, gamblers and sheep”. It all makes sense now. Pardon me if I don’t bombard you with the vast cadre of funds, trust and institutional investors that have been going stir-crazy in Japan since late 2011 – you can run some web searches if you want, or drill down through our news items from that Prologis link – you’ll find the well runs pretty deep, and has been for a while – it’s only that the message took some time to filter down to the masses. Goldman Sachs and TPG, I think, were the first major fund to kick off this trend, but were certanily not the last.

Much similar to your favourite graphs play, actually. When you can’t avoid showing that they’re in the green, it’s because they’re “barely just keeping their heads above water” and through no credit to their actions or policies (couldn’t be just dealing with tough global economic climates to the best of their ability, in similar fashion to any other market, because that doesn’t sit well with your gospel). When they’re in the red, however, regardless of how long it’s been after various measures have been announced, let alone trialled or implemented, it’s imeediate proof that afore-mentioned measures are failing.

Anything I’ve missed in your world-view?

Email Me | Phone Me

Blocked
    @freckle

JGB's in a vertical descent again today. Waiting for BOJ intervention (trading halt) to arrest the plummet. 

If you think this is normal or safe your on drugs.

Blocked
    @freckle

McDonalds – lets see. My guess is that a substantial portion of its food products are either imported or have imported content regardless of corporate marketing hype. Brand fees and franchise fees will almost certainly be paid in US dollars. It's energy costs are definitely a function of energy import costs. My guess is that costs have jumped substantially in the past 6 months given McD left prices alone for five years then out of the blue goes with a 20% price hike when any halfwit with his eyes and ears open understands the consuming public is under more pressure than ever before. 

The idea that this price increase was simply because they believed the market could take it is absolute BS. Sales have dropped 3.7% in Apr alone.

US$3B per week is now flowing out of JGB's to overseas as bond purchases by investors looking to escape yen deflation and chase yield. It's a trickle at the moment but some analysts suggest this could turn into a flood if the yen continues it's decent. Any capital flight will simply accelerate yen depreciation. JGB's are loosing value. At some point investors will say we've had enough and look to get out of them. 

You can be as one eyed and parochial as you like but willful ignorance wasn't something I thought you were capable of. You may be getting 10 – 15% on property but in the last 6 months any foreign investor is sitting on 30% losses with the high probability of more to come. Why any foreign investor wants to chase Japanese assets down the rabbit hole is beyond me. Foreign capital is chasing the Nikkei but only as long as its bubble fantastic climb to the moon outpaces the near vertical plunge of the yen. When the Yen beats the Nikkei expect to see the Nikkei take a hit.

Blocked
    @freckle

• Yokohama-based Nissan has gradually shifted more production away from Japan over the last decade
    • Nissan has also aggressively increased the use of components made elsewhere in Asia to lower yen-based costs…Nissan now sources more than 40% of its auto parts from overseas, up from 10% to 20% several years ago. Nissan's best-selling domestic car, the compact Note car, imports about 45% to 50% of the parts used to build the vehicle at its factory in southern Japan.
    • Nissan says a bigger shift is on the horizon: it plans to move production of its two popular sport-utility vehicles to the U.S.
    • Japan’s largest paper companies have also cited the yen’s fall as part of their decision to raise prices by 10% to 15%
    • the biggest sesame oil retailer by sales in Japan, has also raised prices on sesame oil 10% from May.
    • The price of the oilseed crop has risen over 40% since October, according to trade statistics.
    • The government also estimated that consumers will have to fork over about one yen more for a bowl of udon noodles after it raised the price of wheat it sells to millers by 9.7% in April. That’s the biggest price hike since April 2011.
    • …small companies say they are also holding out as long as they can before raising prices.
    • Yutaka Ishikawa, who runs a small public bath in western Tokyo with his family, said he’s also not thinking of increasing the 450 yen (about $4.50) he charges adults, despite having to use more firewood and dim lights to offset the burden of higher fuel oil costs. What I’d like the government to know is that because the economy isn’t that good yet, yen weakening is just costing money.”
    • Yet much of corporate Japan is seeing only muted benefits from the current bout of weakening.
    • Semiconductor equipment maker Tokyo Electron Ltd said currency depreciation affects its results in complex ways. “It’s hard to judge, but considering the operations abroad, and local currency, we are moving in a slightly bad direction,”
    • Toyota says 70.4% of the 2.08 million vehicles sold in North America in 2012 were also made there, versus just 54.9% of 2.21 million vehicles in 2008. The auto giant just last month announced plans to shift more production to the U.S.
    • A weakening yen boosts such import costs more than it helps exports, economists say. The 26.5% appreciation of the dollar versus the yen that has taken place under Abenomics would have increased the value of last year’s exports by around ¥10 trillion, but also raised import costs by a bigger ¥14.5 trillion
    • The average price of liquefied natural gas, a mainstay for power utilities, jumped 26% from November to February, while the price for coal used in power plants was up 13%, according to government data. Those higher costs are piling onto a power industry already awash in red ink.
    • Five other major utilities have announced plans to raise rates for corporate customers by 12%-18%.
    • The petrochemical industry, a big user of oil products as the raw material for plastics, hopes it can come out on top through increased demand from the automotive and electronics sectors, two of their biggest customers.
    • For small businesses that don't have the pricing power of big companies, passing on the higher costs may not be possible. Consumers faced with higher energy bills could also wind up with less money to spend elsewhere, blunting efforts to use new demand to create inflation.
    • In southern Japan, a recent survey by an association of small businesses on the island of Kyushu showed that 56% of respondents said they expect a negative impact on their businesses from higher electricity prices.
    • A public-bath owner in Tokyo said the costs of heating water have nearly doubled from a few years ago. "Some places are unable to earn their daily utility costs," he said.

Yes its all going swimmingly.

Participant
    @zmagen

That's cool, oh-mighty-Freck-of-graphs and upcoming disasters, I think I finally get where our constant disagreement (or really, your basic dis-satisfaction with real-estate investing in any way shape or form) really comes from.You're looking at things from your preferred investment philosophy viewpoint, which says the world is a disaster, one could be losing money every month, and the ideal investment vehicle runs tidy 3-5 month profits, then allowing the investor to escape unscathed by market conditions, hopefully having increased his capital 100-200% in the interim. I'm sure you had your ups and downs with this strategy, that you've laid out for us in the past, just like any of us have had with their RE portfolios over the years too. From that perspective, you're absolutely right. People have "lost" (10-15% reduced by 30% still equals 7-10% net pre-tax, and should it drop further, it'll still be higher than their eternally safe long term cash deposits in today's environments, so no real harm done) – and even that loss is only real and substantial when they eventuate it (eg, bring their incomes back home because they depend on their REI yields to pay for their daily lives – not exactly the attitude most globally hedged REI are all about). Every month that passes without an immediate resolution of all issues in the local economy could be paving the way for further losses. A 5-20 year slump such as the US, Europe or Japan have seen and probably will see again is horrible for someone who was planning to go first-class around the world this summer on his Japanese, US or European income, or feed the kids off it and it alone. But the fact is, most of us are in it for the long-haul. Foreign investors in the USA who may have purchased pre-GFC may have lost some in the short-term (although, from what we're reading here, the ones that did were the ones that hooked up with shoddy operators. Those that invested more wisely, even if their overall value has dropped, and perhaps even their monthly returns, to an extent, are probably still sitting on their money and meanwhile living on other incomes from other countries and sources, as most of us here on this forum do) – Japanese investors like the ones I'm buying from today may have lost a great deal (and indeed, there are occasional foreclosures, although nothing like what we see in other countries) if these properties were their only sources of income. But for most of us, these are all the realities of investing overseas. It's a managed risk, easily countered with hedging and diversity. Your screams of "fire, fire!", to the long-term global real-estate investor who utilizes global economy, are windows of opportunity and expansion. All is well with our world. And besides all that, there's the fact that we actually enjoy what we're doing, too – makes things easier. Governments and central banks are not wizards. They're mostly stupid and corrupt. But you and me don't have all the answers either. For me, personally, it's all about supporting the business environments, countries and morals/practices I subscribe to. The more people like you and me become financially proficient and able to inject funds into where they're needed most, the better, even if it's not the ideal financial vehicle in someone else's eyes. Take a chill pill ;)

Email Me | Phone Me

Blocked
    @freckle

The image below shows a 30 yr tend of a strengthening JPY against the USD. While that trend remained intact it supported to some extent the Japanese standard of living and foreign investors could in the main pick up currency gains even if deflation eroded the value of assets. I could go with what your saying up to recent times. Now that Abe is determined to create inflation and devalue the currency the risk now is the BOJ looses control of the currency and JGB market. A managed depreciation over time would at least allow business and the consumer to adjust but the speed of this experiment in economic policy is unprecedented as is the level of QE. This is a go hard or go home moment. Japan has been loosing at the roulette table for 20 years. It owes the house 1 quadrillion yen. Abe's solution is to double down. Your future rides on the betting skills of a once failed politician with no credibility in one of the biggest economic experiments of all time.

Japan has decades of economic policy failure. If this attempt goes where I think it'll go (and the odds of that are extremely high) then they'll be selling yen by the bog roll. Your Japanese assets won't be worth diddly and the standard of living in Japan (already in decline) will effectively plummet for the bottom 70%. 

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.