All Topics / Overseas Deals / London Investment Property

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Profile photo of London Property InvestmentLondon Property Investment
    @london-property-investment

Hi

Im looking to invest in London investment property and came across http://www.gihlondon.com .  Does anyone have any experiance of investing in London?

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi London

Assuming you are a resident of Australia how did you intend to finance such acquisition.

There is only 1 UK lender left who will finance deals to non residents even if they are UK Passport holders and their terms and conditions are extremely tough to meet.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of London Property InvestmentLondon Property Investment

Hello

Actually I'm an Australian expat in Hong Kong now and there are a lot of financing options here.  Or so it seems talking to Grosvenor International.

I was really looking to find out if anyone had any dealings with this company, or Linden Homes the builders or just London investment in general.  

Profile photo of CattleyaCattleya
    Participant
    @cattleya

Hi London,

Interesting thing you are trying to do there. So you are in HK, wanting to buy in London. So why asking on this forum? Seems odd.
    So how do you know which area you want to buy in. Or are you planning to just trust the developer?

Having said that, I am an Oz currently living in London, wanting to buy in Oz. Have looked around in London, but still think Oz is better investment.
    I don’t mind answering your questions if you want. I am not a lender or mortgage broker or accountant offering services to you. I am an accountant and works for a bank, but if I answer your questions it will be on personal level rather than commercial / professional level.

Never heard of Grosvenor International. They probably use another name here in London? The areas they showed on the website are ok-ish areas meaning low to medium middle class. I’ve looked at some buildings similar to the ones they are showing. And IMO the interior is usually not good quality. From my searches, I concluded that new buildings are not good as they are usually over priced – given low quality interior, poorly finished skirting, low quality kitchen appliances, etc. Art deco conversions can have the same problem but at least the building themselves are more robust.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
    Catts

Cattleya

Here to learn the ropes of property investing & share knowledge, not trying to sell anything at all.

Profile photo of MillietMilliet
    @milliet

Hi,

I am from London now living in Melbourne.  We  bought a property in Harrow in London in 2001  for $117,000 pounds now worth $220,000.  The property is tenanted for $950 a month  and we pay $250 a month on an interest only mortgage.  I wish I could afford to buy more property in the UK as the cash flow i much better than in Australia. I am saving to get a 25% deposit together which is what out UK bank wants before we can buy again.  Hope this helps let me know how you go

Cheers Sarah

Profile photo of Ziv Nakajima-MagenZiv Nakajima-Magen
    Participant
    @zmagen

Cattleya – just curious – why do you think Australia (pretty wide area compared to London ;) is better investment potential?

Ziv Nakajima-Magen | Nippon Tradings International (NTI)
    http://www.nippontradings.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Ziv Nakajima-Magen - Partner & Executive Manager, Asia-Pacific @ NTI - Japan Real-Estate Investment Property

Participant
    @cattleya

Ziv,

Australia is better for peace of mind.

1. Social issues is a factor when deciding which property to buy whether an IP or PPOR. Unfortunately London is quite unnerving at the moment.

London society is very protracted and I can feel escalating resentment from both the poor and middle class side. A lot of social issues, benefit / dole payments being cut, a lot of unemployment, immigration, big gap between poor and middle class, etc.
    Remember the 2011 riot? I wouldn’t be surprised if it happens again.

2. Prices is also a factor. There are obviously cheaper areas in London, but your neighbours will be council tenants and the like. I am trying to be politically correct, but I also want to be honest. With neighbourhood of people the level of single mothers who live on benefit, then your tenants would be similar quality and usually these people don’t really care about your property. There are some decent people, but would you leave it to chance? The areas decent hardworking people live are usually more expensive as well… beyond my reach, really :)

3. The tax rule is such that the gain / losses from IP cannot be offset against your personal tax. You need to accumulate your losses and wait until it becomes positively geared before you can offset it.

4. Most of the new apartment I saw here were disappointing. I mean… the interior is flimsy, cheap and poorly done while the apartment price is high. Similar with Oz, UK govt subsidises purchases for new dwellings. So the prices of new units reflect this subsidy rather than the cost of building the units.

5. Other personal reasons.

Hope this answers your q.

Tx,
    Catts

Cattleya

Here to learn the ropes of property investing & share knowledge, not trying to sell anything at all.

Participant
    @zmagen

Totally with ya there, that's why we invest mostly in Japan, where the social fabric is probably the best you can get, or in non-tenant dependant forms in other countries…how do you get around the lack of cashflow in Aus though? I know Terry and others here mentioned sub-dividing (whole lotta work, but probably well worth it) or mining/industrial towns (which strike me as a bit risky as they may blow over within a few years) – any other ideas on breaking that annoying 3-5% pre-tax ceiling that seems to be the norm here (at least for the more attractive areas)?

Email Me | Phone Me

Ziv Nakajima-Magen - Partner & Executive Manager, Asia-Pacific @ NTI - Japan Real-Estate Investment Property

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Milliet

No sure who told you that UK Banks will lend with 25% deposit but i hate to say with 1 exception all UK lenders have pulled out of the Non Resident market even if you hold a UK Passport.

This particular lender only lends in selected Home Counties areas although has a maximum lvr of 60-65% and a minimum loan of 100 GBP.

I go back every year and up until this year we used to buy property for our UK clients living in Oz securing financing at excellent rates and lvr's.

A total withdrawal of funding for Residents living overseas has not helped improve the market.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Participant
    @cattleya

Lack of cash flow in Oz?? With the interest rates coming down, I am now in positive gearing category.

Agree with subdividing (being a lot of work) and mining towns (risky).

3-5% pre-tax ceiling?? Seems like you know more than me. Would appreciate further info?

Cattleya

Participant
    @zmagen

Not at all actually, just limited personal experience and that of family members and acquaintances – my forte is japan, as mentioned. in aus, my impression was that good locations seem to net app. 3-5% pre-tax. Sold our last family property in caulfield last year, after 5 years of almost zero growth and 3.8% cashflow p/a (so yes, positive – just). didn't see the point anymore. That same money is now spread over 9 properties (so far more diversity and hedging) around Japan, making an average of 13% or so p/a, with far less tenant hassles (not that they're that bad here, but they're much better there). Capital growth may still be zilch, probably less, but I prefer the monthly income over the speculation plays personally.

Again, though, my experience in Aus is very limited, that's why I'm asking. I'm sure there are people out here doing better, so trying to learn more about how they're doing it.

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of MillietMilliet
    @milliet

Hi Richard,

I was assuming as we had a mortgage with Lloyds Tsb we could easily get another one and on the website the buy to let ratio is 25% deposit.  As we are not in a position to buy yet I have not looked into it fully but definitely a question to ask the bank.  It would be really annoying if that was the case as the returns from the UK  seem to be better than here.

Just by coincidence I have been e mailing Jacqui Middleton who I believe works with you? I am going to be in a position to buy my first Australian rental property soon and am looking for guidance.

Cheers Sarah

Participant
    @cattleya

Yea, you are right about the 3-5% pre tax cash flow.
    Reason for that, I think, is because everybody can count and wants profit. So sellers want to get higher prices and they know rent is a factor in determining price. The buyers also think the same. So market consensus seems to settle at 3-5% above which, sellers will increase the price and below which buyers think they are being ripped off and shy away.

Having said that, if you find something with more than 5% either the seller is stupid / desperate or there is something they know you don’t. Vice versa for buyers.

In terms of strategy, there is plenty of them. You just need to understand your own situations and build your own strategy. I understand that cash flow is important but don’t want to do a lot of work. A guy I know owns 4 properties and rents it out by room (total 12 rooms). So she has 1 lady who rents 1 of the 12 rooms. This lady gets a reduced rent, but she has to collect the money from the other 11 tenants and puts it in his account. She is basically the live-in land lady. The pre tax cash flow is closer to 30%!

So basically, the more you rent out the better. I think there is this imaginary rental floor where you can’t rent anywhere in Sydney for less than that. And size, convenience, luxury of your property add more layers on top of the rental floor, but not much. Also, the lower the rent, the more demand to it so price increase compared to the luxury accommodation. Another example of this is, given the same area and quality apartment IPs are usually more profitable than house IPs.

That’s certainly my case – for cash flow.
    Oh, and here in London, real estate agents have started renting rooms rather than the whole flats. So watch this space, Australia (Sydney?) may follow suit soon enough.

Capital appreciation is a different story all together.

Please note, I am not a professional mortgage broker or whatever. So my opinions are personal. But then again, depending on your point of view, my opinion can be worth more simply because I’m free to say whatever I like and do not expect to gain money out of it.

Cheers,
    Catts

Cattleya

Hello

Asking because I hoped people here may have had some experience.  Seems it was a good start.

Im looking in to a few different areas.  There is an awful lot of information about property available online for London!

Yes the areas appear to me to be next to a lot of the well known areas (places like Chelsea etc) which are out of my price range adn which by some accounts have got over subscribed for investment .  I've looked at a lot of the price rises in the areas they sell using the UK land registry http://www.landregistry.gov.uk/ data and they all seem to be performing well.  I know previous performance etc but given London looks to be doing steadily well Im reasonably happy to go with that.

Are you saying new builds in general are of a lower quality or from the developer they are using?  Linden Homes.

I have a trip coming up to London so am maybe going to have a look at some of their previous developments and the ones Grosvenor International have at the moment.

Hello

That certainly sounds like the sort of returns I would like!  

Profile photo of matthewtomlinsonmatthewtomlinson
    @matthewtomlinson

London has been the most profitable real estate market. Making investment in London property will be a long term valuable asset. A year ago I have purchased one property in its prime location South Kensington by the help of Plazaestates. Truly its price tripled-up in one year time and surely it will increase lot more in near future. I believe it’s a best time to invest before the price gets out of reach.

Profile photo of EngeloRumoraEngeloRumora
    Participant
    @engelorumora

If it tripled in the last year maybe the boat has already sailed?

Thanks

EngeloRumora | Ohio Cashflow
    http://ohiocashflow.com/
    Email Me | Phone Me

F@#$ THE REST WORK WITH OHIO CASHFLOW TO INVEST

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.