All Topics / Opinionated! / Terrible Real Estate agent.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of MikalHowardMikalHoward
    Participant
    @mikalhoward

Hi all,

My parents have just bought their first IP and had a terrible experience with the Real Estate agent. Is giving the forum participants the heads up about her a good idea or a bad idea? Thought I'd ask before posting details. My hope is that nobody has to deal with her either selling or buying a property ever.

Profile photo of Nigel KibelNigel Kibel
    Participant
    @nigel-kibel

Yes like all businesses there are good bad and terrible. I remember when my main focus was buyers advocacy. It always amazed me when I would inspect properties I would tell agents I was looking for properties on behalf of buyers. Hardly anyone would follow me up. So they were hardly doing a good job on behalf of there clients.

However you need to explain what happened. It is important to remember that legally in Australia the agent must represents the interests of the vendor. They are there to take as much money from you as they can. As a buyer do not think of the agent as your friend.

Nigel Kibel | Property Know How
    http://propertyknowhow.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

We have just launched a new website join our membership today

Profile photo of tlm1987tlm1987
    @tlm1987

There is a difference between stating fact and the posting of flaming comments. Keep it professional, even if they didn't, would be my advice.

I had many poor dealings with agents when buying my PPOR. Blatant lies were always a big problem – – – – not to steal your thread, but if anyone is looking in Bathurst I'd recommend 'The Professionals' – Leanne Hurley as an agent. I only met her twice but she was a picture of professionalism, valued communication (via email and phone) and was altogether delightful to deal with.  

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi Mikal

Sorry to hear of your experience.

Have you spoken with the agent or the principle of the agency about the issue?

That might be a good start.

What sort of issues did your parents run into?

Like all professions, there's going to be good and bad ones – and  real estate is no different.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of MikalHowardMikalHoward
    Participant
    @mikalhoward

I've been thinking about going into the details but honestly, it's a long story and it could get very boring and long winded. Basically, the house started on the market in August 2012 for $449-459K. Between then and early January 2013, it went under contract 3 times and relisted each time with a lower asking price. Dad offered $436K, before the first under contract, was then called constantly by the agent asking about finance and deposit amount and felt a bit harassed by the agent yet was never told if his offer was accepted.

Mum got really angry at the conduct of the agent so didn't want anything to do with the house anymore. After the third contract fail, the price was all offers presented.

We had been comparing all other homes against the above mentioned so we thought, the agent is terrible but it's a beautiful home so let's try again. 

Dad offered $418K. Agent was pretty angry that our offer was much less than last time and we certainly got no more love than the first time either. Dad just said bad luck as the price had been reduced each time a contract failed. Infact, the calls were again constant, our accountant was now getting constant calls and our deposit of $2000 was being disputed. Plus she wanted more of an offer too. 

Dad offered $419K with $5000 deposit and said that was final and if it wasn't accepted we'd walk away. It was accepted.

The harassing didn't stop through the whole cooling off period then whilst under subject to finance she kept calling our accountant to which she was told to by them to let the process happen and stop harassing them and us. We love our accountant.

Dad spoke to REI and the Principal to complain. REI was of little help. They did suggest the Principal option too but not much more. The Principal was basically exactly the same as the agent. Useless and not willing to listen. Didn't believe there was a problem.

There is so much more to the story but we now have the keys, 28th Feb 2013 so she is out of our lives for good. The day of handover, the agent didn't even want to see Mum & Dad and didn't facilitate a meeting with the previous owner to discuss automatic systems at the house. She just got the secretary to hand over one single set of keys.

Her name is Ann Calver and is from the Harcourt agency on Magill Road, Magill in Adelaide. Our advice. Avoid at all costs.

She was rude to us and lost the vendor lots of money so not helping anyone other than herself really.

Profile photo of Nigel KibelNigel Kibel
    Participant
    @nigel-kibel

Interesting.  Did you dad put all offers in writing and take a deposit?

It is important to remember that a verbal offer is not an offer. It must be in writing with a deposit and at that point the agent is legally required to present the offer.

The other side and I am not excusing the agents attitude but you d not know what has been happening the vendor may have not been taking any advice from the agent. So without knowing 100% of the story it is hard to make a solid view on what has happened but it dos not sound like she was fully in control.

Nigel Kibel | Property Know How
    http://propertyknowhow.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

We have just launched a new website join our membership today

Participant
    @mikalhoward

Hi Nigel,

Yes. Both offers were in writing with a stated deposit he was willing to put down. The first offer he had to poke and prod to get a sighted and signed letter of offer back so he knew where the vendor stood on it. This was just one of the annoying things that the agent either did or didn't do.

I totally understand that the vendor may not have been involved at all. That's fine but even though we got a good deal in the end with a saving of nearly $20K, the vendor in my opinion was the unfortunate loser because of the agents attitude. He was getting offers obviously at all price offerings given it went under contract three times each at the different price point. I just didn't understand the way she was going about her business. Ultimately it was less commission for her too if it was a percentage based commission.

You mentioned you didn't think she was fully in control. I believe she had too much control honestly.

Profile photo of JeanoJeano
    Participant
    @jeano

It is a real worry where word of mouth goes such a long way in this industry (as an Ex Real Estate Agent) from the NT I can not believe the reports of such agents, the prob is $20 – 30 K it a lot to the purchaser/vendor but to the commission isn't that bad. Sorry Mikal your folks had such a bad time of it.

Did anyone read in YPI about the Port Hedland agents running riot with exorbedient maintence charges etc, unbelievable

A question why did the contract keep falling over??

cheers

Participant
    @mikalhoward

Hi Jeano,

I just figured, a post on here could at lease alert people in Adelaide (those who read posts here obviously) about her. As to why the contracts were failing, she would not tell us. I asked but she really had no intention of talking to us more than she absolutely had to. That was blatantly obvious.

Our feelings were that people just couldn't handle her, but that's only speculation because of our experience.

We have now moved into the property and have met all the neighbors already after a week. They are all great and catch up for drinks a couple of times a year. We have been made to feel quite welcome in the area. They all knew the previous owners and said they were lovely people and could not understand why contracts fell through so many times. It really is a beautiful home. A win to my parents really.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.