All Topics / Help Needed! / I am new to this.. Help with structuring and general advice. Please!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of richard1983richard1983
    @richard1983

I am very new to this site. In fact this is my very first post. I love this site. I am hoping for some friendly advice….

I am recently married. Our PPOR is an apartment that I own in my own name in the Inner West (Inner West Property). We rent out an investment property in my wife’s name in the Parramatta area (Parramatta Property).

The Inner West Property is worth approximately $530k – we currently owe about $395k (we have about $40k redraw available). The Parramatta Property is worth about $650k – we currently owe $395k under the investment loan and about $60k on a personal loan (to help us with the wedding). There is approximately $20k redraw available on the Parramatta Property spread across the investment and personal loan.

Now the wedding is done and dusted we are looking to really start our property investment portfolio. In this regard we have requested our bank to give us an additional loan over each property up to 80% LVR. We currently have a total of $60k available in redraw and once the loan gets approved for the increase we should have another $70k – $90k available. This will give us a total of $130k – $150k to use towards an investment property or investment properties.

I am considered to be a high income earner and my income will only likely increase over time. My wife is a teacher. So I can see the benefits of income streaming. I also like the idea of asset protection.

Now my questions are:

1. Is the approach we are adopting in increasing our borrowing under the Inner West Property and Parramatta Property sensible? Is another approach ideal? If so what?

2. If we wanted to purchase a number of positively geared properties with a value $120k – $300k what approach to legal and tax structuring would be ideal? What trust structure would be ideal for the positive geared approach? If we went down this path I want to be conscious of not limiting our borrowing capacity in the future, that is, happy to guarantee loans but do not want them in my own name.

3. If we wanted to purchase 1 negatively geared property (which would later become our marital home in a few years – gets tough living in an apartment and we want kids in about 3 years) what approach to legal and tax structuring would be ideal? What structure is ideal for the negative geared approach? I guess given it would become our PPOR that it would be best to purchase in our own names.

4. I have read that it is strongly recommended you should never own more than 1 property per trust? Is this right and why?

5. Does anyone have any recommendations about a good accountant that I could meet to get in touch with to assist with general advice, structuring the best approach to ownership etc. Preferably someone that is reasonably priced. I would really like someone to hold my hand at the start. Once I have completed one set up I should be fine but would like this accountant to manage my investments moving forward + plus my personal tax (and my wife’s).

Thanks everyone!

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

1. I wouldn't use the redraw monies as that will create a mixed loan which will lead to loss in tax deductions in the future.

2. not enough info to answer

3. own names probably best – also consider just your name or just her name.

4. not necessary, but stronger asset protection in case the trustee is sued, eg by a tenant. If unit trust is used there are 4 reasons to buy one property per trust. – asset protection, land tax, cgt and smsf, stamp duty too. lending too – 6 reasons now.

5. I am sydney based tax, finance and legal advisor and can refer you to tax agents to get tax done.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of richard1983richard1983
    @richard1983

Thanks Terry just sent you a PM.

Profile photo of callmelescallmeles
    Participant
    @callmeles

G'day Richard 1983

Welcome aboard this is Les 1954.

Get reading and educate yourself.

Can't get any cheaper than at the local library.

Anything by Ton Melville and Ed Chan, Noel Whittaker & stick with this site.

Once you've increased your knowledge you'll be able to rate the professional advisors 

yourself as to whether they have the credentials/experience that you need regarding your strategy.

This all takes time.

Take baby steps first before you learn to walk then run.

Question everything until you understand…..there are no dumb questions when you have your hard earned at risk.

TerryW would be my first port of call.

You and your partner can take it from there.

Regards

Profile photo of janeashleyjaneashley
    @janeashley

Hi,

I am looking at buying my first property which is going to be a future investment. As I am new to this I was looking for advice when tackling a few choices: As my first investment money is tight and I am looking at buying a unit. These are some decisions I need to make

Good suburb/location close to train line/beach/shops however outdated externally and internally.

Verses

Average suburb/close to shopping centers/approx 20kms inland from beach and modern interior and exterior.

I have been told that when purchasing a unit be sure to take into account the other units as their value will either increase or decrease yours. (Much like buying the worst house on the best street) Also the reputation of a suburb is extremely important to ensure the property's value will increase steadily. Is this all true?

Furthermore buying a newer unit comes with a higher confidence that there will be less or nil maintenance, however, the rental return will decrease as the area isn't as sort after.

So what is more important? Buying a newer unit in a average suburb opposed to an out dated one in a good suburb?

All input would be appreciated

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Jane away from the property itself ( as i am sure others closer to you will comment ) make sure your Broker / Banker structures your loan correctly as you want to ensure that the loan is set up correctly from day 1.

Just because the property starts out as being a PPOR you know you will rent at the end of the day so ideally want a Interest only loan with a nice high lvr and the flexibility of an offset account assuming you do not buy another PPOR.

Course in say this make sure you don't end up paying for a feature that you aren't going to get value from.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.