All Topics / Legal & Accounting / property ownership structure

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of pcnpcn
    Participant
    @pcn

I am looking to purchase my IP but not sure what ownership I should have it under (my name, trust, company etct…)

what are the pros and cons for each option?

Thanks,

pcn

Profile photo of learner101learner101
    @learner101

Hi guys – I have a similar question. I have a PPOR, Have just offered and am sourcing finance  on a second property. Initially it will be investment but plan to move into it in a few years when current PPOR will turn into a rental.Should this second property be under a trust or private name?

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi guys

Not enough information to provide a sensible reply.

Everyone's situation is different – and there's heaps to consider when determining whether ownership should be under a structure other the your own person name. There's also different entity types to consider.

So many people want to purchase within complex structures but have no idea why they are doing so – it's just something that they've read in a book. 

A chat with a decent accountant is in order – someone that's going to provide impartial advice on your individual circumstances. 

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw
    learner101 wrote:
    Hi guys – I have a similar question. I have a PPOR, Have just offered and am sourcing finance  on a second property. Initially it will be investment but plan to move into it in a few years when current PPOR will turn into a rental.Should this second property be under a trust or private name?

Trust owned properties do not get the CGT free status for a main residence. You may also not get the land tax exemption depending on the state.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of RPIRPI
    Participant
    @rpi

I am a fan of trust structures in the right circumstances, NSW land tax on non-fixed trusts is a bit of a pita though.

I utilise trust structures extensively in my own developing, investing and business areas.

Also recommend various structures to clients.

I also come across people who are having huge benefits from structures when I am involved in civil litigation and also when helping clients through bankruptcy and liquidations.

When representing clients who have been wronged in the commercial litigation I do, there are 3 key stages in working out the likelihood of success and the structures of the people we are suing is a key to one of them.

1.  Who is liable for damages

2. Are the damages substantial enough to cover the costs and stress of litigation and has client done enough to mitigate losses.

3. If we were to get a judgment, who is going to pay and have they got the capacity to pay.

So in an imaginary case that we have multiple parties at fault on the other side.

1. People who did stuff in their own name and who have houses registered in their name (Highly likely to have to pay)

2. Company with no assets and limited paid up capital (Will not pay and go into liquidation).

3. Professionals (Professional indemnity Insurance will cover but also likely to fight harder)

4. Trust with corporate trustee (trustee is personally liable for debts but indemnified out of the assets of the trust if it has enough, would have been better if it was a personal trustee.  Overall dubious as to ability to pay, but you never know your luck)

Guess who is going to be stuck holding the baby so to speak.

As well as the flexibility for taxation and income sharing purposes, I always think of proper structuring as asset protection insurance.  You might never need it, but you'll be bloody glad you have it if you do.

regards

RPI | Certus Legal Group / PRO Town Planners
    http://www.certuslegal.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Property Lawyer & Town Planner

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.