All Topics / Overseas Deals / Investing in Canada as a non-resident

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of kbrooks19kbrooks19
    @kbrooks19

Currently I am working abroad (from Canada) and would like to invest in my first property. I have looked into investing in Canada but contemplate whether it is worth investing as a non-resident if I have to pay the CRA a hefty % on capital gains. Any advice is much appreciated.

Profile photo of Corey McEwen realtorCorey McEwen realtor
    Participant
    @corey-mcewen-realtor

Hi kbrooks,

I'm a realtor in Edmonton, AB. Canada.  Regarding investing in Canada, I would ask you what your goals wold be, and where abouts are you looking to invest, and what is your exit strategy?  There is lots of opportunities, but in the end its what fits your goals is what determines if it is right for you.

If you want to email me, please do so at [email protected]

Profile photo of EngeloRumoraEngeloRumora
    Participant
    @engelorumora

I always thought the market in Canada was expensive and similar to Australia.

Thanks

EngeloRumora | Ohio Cashflow
    http://ohiocashflow.com/
    Email Me | Phone Me

F@#$ THE REST WORK WITH OHIO CASHFLOW TO INVEST

Profile photo of BoughtWithEquityBoughtWithEquity
    Participant
    @boughtwithequity

I'm sure Canada is like any other market – if you are in the know, you can make money.  I haven't been there in years but I would think anything decent would be way too expensive to make any sense.  I'd be looking to your neighbor to the south…..USA to make decent returns.  There are several us who are very active in the states so there are several models for you to take a look.  What kind of returns are you looking for?  Do you want to be active or passive?  Are you planning to return to Canda at some point…when?  Happy investing!

Profile photo of mattstamattsta
    Participant
    @mattsta

I'd also look into investing in the US, since you're in North America already. There are alot more resources (especially for Australians) for investing in the USA.However, I'd also compare the potential returns and the convenience for you between US and Canadian investing.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.