All Topics / Help Needed! / Asset Protection/Tax Structure

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Profile photo of TomBarwellTomBarwell
    @tombarwell

Hello!

My name's Tom and i'm 19 years old and about to enter my second year of Mechanical Engineering in Brisbane. I've been trolling these forums for a few weeks now and I love the chat that goes on! It seems like an incredibly productive place for both new and veteran investors.

I've recently become incredibly passionate about investing as a whole and with the help of my dad have been trying to learn as much as possible about investing, economics, property, money management, finance, and the law surrounding all of this (Although i am still very, very inexperienced in all of those facets). I can't wait to learn more, and am aiming to buy my first investment property in the coming year.

Although i have a few questions!

1. I've been told by some very knowledgeable people that the coming year is going to be incredibly tough and an inappropriate time to get any debt in my name. I'm a little more headstrong (perhaps not such a good thing) and am eager to get in and start learning. Can anyone offer their opinion on the matter? I wouldn't be jumping into anything without thoroughly researching it through, and it won't be in the next 6 months i would say.

2. I'm looking to start a very strong foundation for investing by setting up a great asset protection network. However i know very little about how to go about this. Dad's system is very complicated and while i try to learn as much as possible from it, i struggle to apply his scenario to mine. Can anyone recommend a good place to start, whether it be learning, or people to speak to or topics to research?

3. I'm looking to minimize my tax payments, and ideally pay for my Investment properties before tax (after reading Robert Kiyosaki's books). Now i know this is an American writer using their system, but i imagine the AUS system would be quite similiar? Is there any way i can infact purchase investment property with pre-tax dollars when setup correctly? I thought i would have to have an investment business of some sort setup (with appropriate asset protection in place) and then consider it a business expense.

Any and all help is very welcome, and i look forward to getting to know some of you a bit better!

Thanks!

Tom

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Tom,

2. Asset protection from what?

3. No, Australia totally different to US

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Gemma LeaGemma Lea
    @gemma-lea

1) Are they currently investing in property themselves and making money ? I know many "knowledgeable" people and they all have a lot of opinions and don't have much involvement in property themselves. Im currently doing my 5th renovation/development in this year to be finished by the end of the year and aiming for 10 renovations/developments for the next year so i cant say that I am that worried about the year coming.

2) Research – Discretionary Trusts (aka family trusts) and having a company as trustee for greater asset protection. Also helps if you have brothers or sisters over 18 earning a low wage (you can give them income earned in the family trust). Accountants would be good to speak to about this.

3) How large would your income/tax payments be considering you are currently in University ? Considering you just started your 2nd year and possibly have another 2-3 years to go.  

Participant
    @terryw
    Gemma Lea wrote:

2) Research – Discretionary Trusts (aka family trusts) and having a company as trustee for greater asset protection. Also helps if you have brothers or sisters over 18 earning a low wage (you can give them income earned in the family trust). Accountants would be good to speak to about this.

Accountants shouldn't give asset protection advice as this is legal advice. For example, they are not trained in litigation, or family law or succession. Solicitors are trained in this area.

3 simple examples:

1. Insolvency. A company without proper records will be deemed to be trading while insolvent. Directors of a company trading while insolvent will be personally liable for the debts of the company and their personal assets at risk.

Unpaid present entitlements are another big one. These build up over the years if the trust doesn't make a distribution and this will great all sorts of problems, including weaking asset protecition.

2. Discretionary trusts won't help much in a family law situation. No to little asset protection.

3. A property held as Joint Tenants doesn't not form part of the estate, but passes to the sole survivor. This can be attacked.

Trusts don't form part of the deceased's estate, but in NSW trust assets can be deemed part of the estate under the notional estate sections of the succcession act.

Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Gemma LeaGemma Lea
    @gemma-lea

Terry, What would be your list for structures that provide the greatest to the least amount of asset protection?  

Participant
    @terryw

Asset protection against what?

Generally:

For trading entities a Pty Ltd company

for bankruptcy a discretionary trust and SMSF fund

for family law matters celibacy

for death, depends.

Structure is only one part of asset protection. The rest depends on how transactions are conducted and the internal set ups – terms of the trust etc.

Email Me

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek
    Terryw wrote:

Geez Terry – I cannot see many clients lining up and paying fees for that piece of advice.

Participant
    @terryw
    Derek wrote:
    Terryw wrote:

Geez Terry – I cannot see many clients lining up and paying fees for that piece of advice.

I charge $500 for the asset protection chastity belt or $1000 if you want the key as well.

Email Me

Profile photo of scottsscotts
    @scotts
    Terryw wrote:
    Asset protection against what?

hahaha.. classic call there.. I'm sure there are plenty of divorcee’s that wish that had taken that advise

Profile photo of TomBarwellTomBarwell
    @tombarwell

Thanks for the advice so far.

1. Yea, the people I'm currently getting my advice from are quite knowledgeable both with real world experience and are currently investing in all sorts of different things.

2. I was thinking asset protection from being sued mostly to be honest. I wanted to start strong so that if there were any complications further down the track and my property is owned under one/multiple different entities i won't lose the whole lot.

3. My income per year is only around 40k, but part of that is earned under an ABN, the other part as an part time employee. What i was thinking of is write-offs in the order of a work vehicle (I'm a traveling sales rep), repairs/maintenance on the work vehicle and ways i could again structure my future real estate investments to have them set up to pay the least tax.

I am more or less trying to ensure I've started properly and mitigated risk that will either bite me in the rear later and cost me or could potentially see me losing all my money after my hard earned work.

Thanks very much

Participant
    @terryw

in that you have to imagine, if you were to go bankrupt at some point in the future what assets would be at risk

Email Me

@tombarwell

Well if i personally was to go bankrupt, would business assets be liable for the loss and vice versa?

Am i able to segregate myself/each set (real estate/stocks) of investments so that if i lose one section, the others still function perfectly fine?

Ideally, it would be good that if one property got sued for whatever reason, i wouldn't want to lose any other assets i own at the same time.

Sorry if i'm asking a stupid question. I'm genuinely unsure of what entity i should be buying property under to reduce risk to both myself and my assets.

Participant
    @terryw

Depends on what you mean by 'business' and how things are structured.

If you personally go bankrupt all the property you own is at risk. The trustee in bankruptcy stands in your shoes and 'is; you. They sell your property and use this money to pay creditors.

Property = shares, units in unit trusts, land etc. But not property held on trust for others.

So the best form of asset protection is not to own any property. An interest in a discretionary trust is not property – they trustee in bankrupcy can still stand in your shoes and can ask to be conisdered when the trustee is distributing income, but that is all as, depending on the set up, there will be no requirement to distribute to him.

Email Me

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

If I buy two belts w/o keys for my daughters will I get a discount?

@tombarwell

Ok you've lost me.

Perhaps a book would be a better thing to read through at my own pace, so that i'm not wasting anyones time.

Any suggestions in that respect? I'm thinking, Asset Protection for Dummies type deals…

Thankyou

@tombarwell

Ok you've lost me.

Perhaps a book would be a better thing to read through at my own pace, so that i'm not wasting anyones time.

Any suggestions in that respect? I'm thinking, Asset Protection for Dummies type deals…

Thankyou

Participant
    @terryw

I am writing such a book. Got to think of a different title though.

I am not sure if I will publish it as too many trade secrets.

Email Me

Profile photo of ritchiemathesonritchiematheson
    Participant
    @ritchiematheson

Hi Tom,

I congratulate you on entering the property investment world early in life.

It looks like you have the drive to research and understand what you are getting into, which will put you in a great place in the future.

I have made some errors along my journey which I would like to share with you and some things I have learnt;

1) be very careful what you take out of reading books from other countries. Australia has some very different Tax rules to the USA. Although some property investment strategies have been adapted  to Australia (eg vendor finance) not everything can be done the same.

2)Leading on from this TAX and Law is fluid, a book on property investing from 10 years, and how to structure your account may not be applicable today (for example the use of Line Of Credit accounts to maximise negative gearing)

3) PAY A PROFESSIONAL TO SET UP YOUR Structure. it may cost you a few thousand dollars which really hurts I know. but employing a property savvy accountant AND a legal professional AT THE SAME TIME IN THE SAME ROOM will reward you in the long term. (note accountant & legal advice do not choose the 'OR' option like I did)

When a system (note choice of word system) is developed, you can then talk to your finance broker who can set up bank accounts for you. (no more standing around in banks!!!)

something a little off the topic for asset protection but a fantastic bit of info I picked up early. You will start to gather a group of people who will work for you eg accountant, finance broker etc… When you find someone that fits well with you and your team, keep a hold of them, and facilitate them meeting the others in your group – you'll be surprised what can come out of it.

Have a look at the info below from Master Wealth Control.

It is a good starting point; take some notes and develop some questions to ask who ever you go to see

WEBINARS

Asset Protection Webinar

Testamentary Trust Webinar

Putting it All Together Webinar

HOW TO SET-UP A COMPANY

All the Best

Ritchie

Profile photo of RPIRPI
    Participant
    @rpi

Hi Tom

Terry is correct in that asset protection advice should be through a lawyer, not an accountant.

One huge advantage you have, is that it is easiest to set up an appropriate structure early on. The more assets you have in the wrong structure, the more it costs to put them right.

I have just helped a client through the liquidation of one of his businesses and also personal bankruptcy.  He had some terrible advice 20 years ago on structure.  His accountant had him buy residential investment properties in the same company that his business traded in. He lost a lot more than he had to, over $600k net, that after they pay sales costs, CGT etc will eat up most of the capital and the liquidator will get the rest.  Luckily he had some good advice on a business he setup 5 years ago.  It is outside the reach of both the liquidator and his personal trustee.  It is still a very hard thing to go through, but at least he is still able to receive some income now and once out of bankruptcy will be able to receive more.

I think it is like insurance in many ways, so many people skimp on setup costs and there is no going back if it turns bad or you have excessive tax implications because of the lack of flexibility.$5k in extra setup costs when you are buying a property in the hundreds of thousands of dollars and a couple of hundred more a year is not a lot. If it goes bad there is no going back and fixing your structure then.  Imagine if does go bad done the track and you are going through litigation and staring down the barrel of losing everything and you remember that it was your choice not to setup properly.  It is a terrible thing to go through anyway, but if you put the regrets of your own decisions contributing to you losing everything, rather than just one part of your wealth, it is much worse.  

As TerryW was saying, asset protection from what? Different structures for different things.  

As a general rule, I am a huge believer in the following:

A Master Trust- your first trust that owns all your equity.  It lends money to other entities to do other things, secured by a second mortgage, registered charge of some other appropriate security, with a written loan agreement.

Unit Trusts or partnerships of discretionary trusts for joint ventures

Discretionary trusts for property.

Layers of entities for a property development

Layers of entities for businesses

But if you don't setup properly with correctly worded documents and agreements or your inter entity transactions are done poorly or not documented, then you may as well of done nothing to protect yourself.

Good luck with your research. 

Darryl

RPI | Certus Legal Group / PRO Town Planners
    http://www.certuslegal.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Property Lawyer & Town Planner

@tombarwell

Thanks for all that advice guys, sounds like some great tips to get started. I'll see if some business people i know have any connections within the professional community, or recommendations of sorts that can help me out.

On another note, can anyone recommend any recent/current books that might be able to help me? Basically anything to do with real estate i will have no problem reading.

Thanks again!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.