All Topics / Commercial Property / property and business investment

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 29 total)
  • Profile photo of 999ivan999ivan
    Participant
    @999ivan

Two friends with multiple restaurants want to open a brewery. They have asked me to be their only investor. I haven't got any experience in this kind of deal, although I have done fairly well in buy to let property investment.

The investment is in two parts. One, a property investment to house the brewery. Two, an equity investment in the brewery itself.

The property investment would involve me paying for the down payment. The brewery investment is for me to buy straight equity in the brewery. My problem is, I now realize, that they are expecting the brewery to pay for the mortgage payments on their 2/3 share of the property investment, but pay me nothing for my 1/3 up front cash.

Also, as I see it, I would be paying their mortgage payments, in part. as I would own part of the brewery, plus I'd be named on the mortgage and be on the hook if they defaulted.

They have a lawyer, an accountant and talk about shareholder loans etc, but are still working on the final framework of the business setup and my deal. The trouble is, they've already purchased the property with multiple clauses to delay the closing if necessary and change names on the mortgage/deeds.

I've told them it doesn't seem fair / equal / legal but haven't heard back.

Anyone got any insight?

thanks Ivan

Profile photo of Rick staRick sta
    Participant
    @rick-sta

Do they happen to have a single daughter?

Sorry cant offer any advice here.

Profile photo of jmsracheljmsrachel
    Participant
    @jmsrachel

Run for the hills! You've dodged a bullet by not hearing back from them!

Ricksta – i have a friend with a single daughter, the father owns a double barrel shot gun though!

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Are those hills getting closer yet?

But seriously, how is the deal to be structured? Have they secured finance? What is their experience with regards to brewing ie none/little or are they going to employ the expertise to run the brewery? What are the costs for the fitout & are you paying your share? The list gets longer….. How about going in as a secured creditor ie offer finance @ x% for the property loan or if the thing stacks up, then purchase the building and structure a lease for them (including % rent possibly) or consider a roulette clause on the property (as a mutual escape clause),

Profile photo of 999ivan999ivan
    Participant
    @999ivan

Thanks for your thoughts. They have a brew master lined up but would also both be drawing a salary. One as general manager and one as VP of sales. The other way I feel I may be being taken advantage of, is in the division of equity shares in the brewery business. They want me to invest 240,000 for 15% while they would invest 20,000 cash each and secure financing of 320,000 for 85% between them.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

If you don’t go over those hills you’ll be digging yourself a big hole – you’re putting in almost half the equity, to get 15%??? They get a wage for working in the business and you get (interest on your loan)? You bear % of the risk and get 0%.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Be very careful how you proceed.

I have a client currently being sued over a deal, similar in some ways, that didn't proceed. They have joined his wife in proceedings as she attended some meetings. The intention of both parties was to set up a company for trading and owning stock, but they are suing my clients in their personal capacity. Wife was joined as she is the one with the assets.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of moxi10moxi10
    Participant
    @moxi10

Run. Hide. Change your phone number.

Participant
    @terryw
    moxi10 wrote:
    Run. Hide. Change your phone number.

Change your star sign, hairstyle and start wearing a dress.

Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of ahsmithersahsmithers
    Participant
    @ahsmithers

This may look good on paper, but many a rich man has lost his wealth investing in a Brewery, you are better off spending your money on a Luxury Yacht – At least you can enjoy that before you go bankrupt!

Participant
    @999ivan

Again thank you. Guess my final question is how is there a way to get a better deal. Or are they beyond hope?

Participant
    @terryw
    999ivan wrote:
    Again thank you. Guess my final question is how is there a way to get a better deal. Or are they beyond hope?

A

better deal as in this one?

1. You could negotiate better terms for yourself.

or

2. Invest into another venture. But you have to understand that it is extremely dangerous to invest in a private company – you essentially have no security.

Email Me

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

HI 99Ivan,

Seems to me that you have approached this whole decision making process the wrong way.

As a bush fire fighter I enter situations with the mind I am not going to do the tasks assigned to me and my crew until I can be convinced it's safe, achievable and is part of a bigger plan. Investment decisions should, in my opinion, be approached the same way.

Reading your comments it would appear as if you have approached this investment from the other end – I'll do this until I am convinced it is a good deal/idea etc.

In other words you seem to have been half way there when conversations started. Easily burnt (no pun intended) approaching investment decisions that way.

Profile photo of FreckleFreckle
    Blocked
    @freckle

This is the way you should structure the deal.

The property. 

I would buy the property outright and lease it to the business. No share splits,complicated ownership setups etc etc. Keep it real simple. If they want to own a 1/3 or whatever they have to divy up. None of this I'll pay my contribution in payments from the business rubbish.

Or alternative you buy into the business and then the business buys the property. The way they're trying to set up is more complicated than my mothers knitting.

The Business.

There's lots of way to contribute to a business other than money. Sweat equity, skill etc are appropriate components that can be valued. 

I have a friend who started the Loaded Hog in NZ many years ago along with 2 others. A friend and another person who was a master brewer. My friend put up 80% of the capital his friend 20% and the brewer put up his expertise. They had a an equitable percentage split which was close to equal 1/3's.

The first year they paid themselves $30k each. By the end of the first year they not only paid themselves but paid their start up costs as well. Friend is semi retired now and a multi millionaire from that one business that multiplied into several outlets around the country. 

In a business startup everyone puts something into the hat. That contribution is valued as a percentage of the business. If it's sweat equity you work at a specified valued rate and that goes into the business. So you might do 50 hrs per week at $80/hr. The contribution has to be valued at or near what it would cost you to hire a person for that position. Expertise is a little different. That's very hard to value but a brewer for example needs not only technical skill that could be hired but creative skill that may be hard to find. They're also a key strategic individual.

Usually partners will simply accept that one individuals skill is indispensable in a start up business so value that intangible component as an equal share and still pay a retainer out of earnings. That retainer might be discounted slightly during the start up phase and hit full payment once you reach certain milestones.

In deals like this everyone and especially key personnel have to make legally binding commitments to the business for minimum periods of time. So if the brewer decide to leave because of a dispute he would have to stay until a replacement was found and a handover completed or other wise be exposed to damages if the business suffered.

If someone wants to sell out you need a agreed to process to complete that. 

The problems I have with this deal is your mates, while experienced in running restaurants, don't seem to have a lot of knowledge or skill in setting up a multi owner business and know nothing about brewing. I also have problems with them in terms of they already have businesses that will take their time and attention. Startups require huge amounts of time and effort to get off the ground and build a customer base large enough to become self sustainable. Usually 3 – 5 years. Micro breweries were new 20 years ago and the market was open to innovative brewers. Not today. The market is more sophisticated and the competition is fairly robust.

My friend made a fortune because he was first cab off the rank, had unbelievable luck and produced a highly desirable product. I would not bet the house on this and I would want some pretty tangible guarantees, guidelines, legal agreements and personal commitments before I even considered signing on to this.

From your brief description above neither of your friends appears to bring much to the party at all. I'm left wondering what the attraction is if any.

Profile photo of jmsracheljmsrachel
    Participant
    @jmsrachel

Well said freckle.

Blocked
    @freckle
    999ivan wrote:
    Thanks for your thoughts. They have a brew master lined up but would also both be drawing a salary. One as general manager and one as VP of sales. The other way I feel I may be being taken advantage of, is in the division of equity shares in the brewery business. They want me to invest 240,000 for 15% while they would invest 20,000 cash each and secure financing of 320,000 for 85% between them.

Anybody came to me with a deal like that I think I'd die laughing. 

1. Neither of your proposed partners brings anything to the table (other than money) that has any equity value so your share holdings are based on dollar denominated share values. Their $1 does not buy any more equity than your $1. Your $240k = 40% simple.

2. Self appointed roles must first all be fundable. They can call themselves whatever they want but salaries have to reflect the limited capital a startup has. No one gets $200k/pa salaries for starters. In start ups like this you might be lucky to get $30k/pa if anything initially. Startup partners usually always get the same money and contribute the same amount of effort.

3. If you are not going to work in the business then what they are asking of you could be construed as seed capital. Now it's a whole new ball of wax. They have to suggest a value and offer you a percentage. You can structure this any which way that suits you. You could demand security or none at all. That implies that a secured arrangement provides for less equity than a higher risk unsecured arrangement. 

Under a seed capital arrangement I would want at least 49% for my $240k and with conditions.

1. The business must use up the owners capital first.

2. Before the first payment (no more than $30k) they must have achieved specified milestones.

3. Subsequent payments must show that the business has tangible equity developing within the business (stock, goodwill etc)

4. Debt to equity ratios must be agreed upon (overdrafts, lines of credit, creditor and debtor levels etc)

5. You must have 2 votes on the board of directors and a 3rd director must be an objective party with no financial interest leaving their 2 votes. 

6. Accounts must be audited every 6 months by an independent accounting firm. 

7. Business reports must be provided monthly.

8. Any significant event of interest must be notified with 24 hrs (accidents, legal complaints, substantial hold ups etc etc)

9. Veto rights on salaries although this could be a board function for senior personnel.

10. Spending over certain amounts must have board approval (plant and equipment). Budgets and expenditure must be pre approved by the board.

11. Deviation from business plan must be board approved.

You get the idea on the kinds of conditions you need to apply in order to protect your investment.

The command and control side can seem quite onerous so that needs to be balanced with arrangements that reward success in a growing business relative to your seed capital contribution. To encourage the stakeholders a substantial part of your exit strategy should involve selling back equity on a reasonable margin to risk reward basis. So you could offer 10% back at cost plus 15% after 12 months say. 

The reason for this approach is that if things struggle you want ample reward (49%) for the up front risk. If they hit their objectives like they claim then much of the risk has been eliminated so you reward that with a return to them of equity at cost plus a modest return. You do with a sliding scale all the way down to zero equity of you like. Up to you.

See my other post further down as well.

If anyone I did business with balked at this kind of offer I'd simply so that's OK I'm out.

Participant
    @999ivan

Great advice. Thanks a lot. Two questions.

!. Regarding what they're bringing to the table. They have a letter of Intent from a fairly large chain of pubs to sell our beer.

Obviously that's just a piece of paper right now. The reason I think the business will be a success is that one of the guys

is a roaring success story over the last 5 years. He's almost single handedly revitalized a neighborhood

here in Vancouver and is always in the news. The same people that have the distribution network have asked him to run a new pub near his restaurants that would specialize in craft beers. Again nothings happened yet, but from his angle he will say he's bringing a lot to the table.

Would this impress you enough into taking maybe a 30% stake?

2. Would you talk to them direct or do everything through your lawyer?

Regards

Ian

Participant
    @999ivan

Great advice. Thanks a lot. Two questions.

!. Regarding what they're bringing to the table. They have a letter of Intent from a fairly large chain of pubs to sell our beer.

Obviously that's just a piece of paper right now. The reason I think the business will be a success is that one of the guys

is a roaring success story over the last 5 years. He's almost single handedly revitalized a neighborhood

here in Vancouver and is always in the news. The same people that have the distribution network have asked him to run a new pub near his restaurants that would specialize in craft beers. Again nothings happened yet, but from his angle he will say he's bringing a lot to the table.

Would this impress you enough into taking maybe a 30% stake?

2. Would you talk to them direct or do everything through your lawyer?

Regards

Ian

Blocked
    @freckle

If the guys as good as they say it begs the question of why do they need you at all. To me it doesn't change the deal to any great extent other than he may be slightly more bankable. 

Letters of intent mean nothing. They're given out fairly lightly because they are not a contract and are not binding.

You might get an order but what if things go wrong with a brew, can't meet deadlines etc. Big clients can disappear if you screw up. All startups are fragile initially until they get their systems and production into some sort of order. This is a completely different business to restaurants. You're basically becoming a manufacturer,  a commodity supplier. 

At the end of the day I would still want 40% because that's a simple mathematical share of $600k. The business has no value until it starts to turn a profit and the size of any profit is yet to be proven. Also  consider the value of the business will have to triple before you get to break even.

I get the distinct feeling your being taken advantage of because these guys think because they have a profile and past success it means you have to discount your equity to accommodate them. They have some value obviously but not the huge discount they're asking you to take. 

Put it this way. A bank wouldn't buy the deal why should you. If they couldn't meet bank lending requirements then you need a premium to account for the additional risk above market not a discount.

Forget the friendship, forget the star status. Take a simple hard headed business approach to the deal like you would if you didn't know them from a bar of soap.

Everything is negotiable. You can get a way better deal than they are offering.

Blocked
    @freckle

PS.

If the guy can bring business to the table he can be accommodated with options, bonuses, profit share increase etc as a kicker. Just don't don't give equity away. That gives a huge chunk of not only future equity value away but also your share of future dividends as well. You also loose voting power which make you virtually powerless.

Over 5 years that could run into millions if this has as much potential as you say.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.