All Topics / Help Needed! / Newbie advice needed

Viewing 7 posts - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Profile photo of N@thanN@than
    Participant
    @n-than

Hi Cha,

As above, try not to think about where the money is… think about what it is being used for. In the above example you are using the money to buy a new house to live in. Unfortunately if you get a loan to buy a PPOR this interest is not tax deductible as it is for personal not investment use. It is a bit more complicated than that but don't want to over confuse you.

Cheers,

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Tax deductibility is determined by purpose.

You're redrawing $200k for a PPOR purchase – this isn't a deductible expense.

This is why your loan should have been set up as IO with an offset from the start.

cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of chanakyachanakya
    Participant
    @chanakya

Hi Qlds007,

If my spouse not working. Can she get a loan? Can I be guarantor for her loan? 

Participant
    @chanakya

Thanks Guys,

Great, though do not understand every bit of it atleast would be able to ask right questions now. Jamie and Nathan is there something on the web that explains my situation in simple language? can you please guide me to that, if possible. 

Profile photo of PLCPLC
    Participant
    @plc

Cha,

Try to think of it in something else other than buying property.

Example: You borrow funds on either an investment property or PPOR (say $20K) to buy for yourself a stereo, TV, Playstation 3, toys and games, and the rest you gamble away. Now do you think you are able to claim the interest associated with this portion of the loan (the $20K) for tax purposes? Common sense says no.

Now substitute the TV, Playstation, etc with a property that you will live in (i.e personal/private purpose). Same scenario, interest cannot be claimed.

Cheers

Tom

PLC | Phoenix Loan Consulting
    Email Me | Phone Me

Melbourne based Mortgage Broker | Making Finance Simple

Profile photo of Gazza21Gazza21
    Participant
    @gazza21

OK here goes..

You originally took out a loan to buy a property. I assume it was P&I (paying off both the principle and interest)

The problem is over the years you paid off a lot of the loan. Super duper if you are to stay in the property forever, not so great if you intend to rent it out.  

Then you re-borrowed a lot of that money. NEW borrowings.

Now instead of using that to buy an investment property with which juicy tax benefits are available, you intend to use that money to buy a home to live in, or use it for lifestyle expenses. NO tax benefits for this type of loan – it is BAD DEBT! The type that makes the banks rich and the average Joe poor.

Because you didn't borrow the money back to invest with, you have to pay the interest yourself instead of letting a tenant do it for you.

Originally, you should of had an interest only loan with an offset account and paid the extra monies into that. Using a credit card for all day to day spending but making sure you pay it off in full every month (never incur interest on it) helps leave more of your money in the offset account for longer as well. This way you never actually pay off the loan, just put as much  savings/overpayments in there as you can to  'offset' the loan balance – which saves you lots on interest costs meaning you can save/build up funds faster.

When you later on pull all that money back out to buy a PPOR or for lifestyle expenses the loan amount goes back to where it originally started and is fully tax deductible when you rent the property out, negatively geared or not. NO NEW borrowings just the same old loan from day numero uno.

This is because, again – instead of paying off the loan, you just temporarily lowered it to lower the interest repayments.

If you rent it out now then as far as the ATO is concerned you will be highly positively geared because there is only a $50k tax deductible loan on the property, the rest of the loan is your own for personal use and therefore paid off at your own expense – no tax benefits for this type of loan.

Can you stay in the unit, and buy another investment property instead? You're not far from paying off the loan entirely at which point you'd be in the enviable position of having no ppor debt (bad non tax deductible debt) and only investment property debt – good because you can offset the costs of the interest.

Make sense!?

I hope that's right anyway or i'm way off too!!

Participant
    @chanakya
Viewing 7 posts - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.