All Topics / Finance / Loan Structure for Unit block IP

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • Profile photo of rickimrickim
    @rickim

Hi all,

I'm looking to break into the property market in qld, but not in the usual way. Instead of just buying a house as my first property, i was planning to purchase a block of units. I've been looking at unit blocks consisting of multiple 1 and 2 bedroom units. My plan is to live in one of the units and rent out the remaining units. My thought process is, that i can get into the property market and get the benefits of a first home buyer, while i also get the benefits of an investment property such as rental income and tax deductions while/if the property is negatively geared. But in reality can i actually make this happen? The concerns that i already have is how can i proportion the investment and private part of my purchase to satisfy the taxman. The majority of the blocks i've been looking at aren't strata titled so i don't see how i could get separate loans for the units i plan to rent but i may be thinking down the wrong track?

I have a few questions that i've thought of that i need clarification on –

• Can i still get the benefits of the FHOG and stamp duty concessions as this will be my first home purchase and a part of it will be my PPOR?
    • How would i have to structure my loan/s to get the maximum tax benefits of the investment portion of my purchase, which would be the remaining units that i will be renting out?
    • Does anyone see any negatives to this plan other than the added complication of having my PPOR and my investment on the same parcel of land?
    • Is there anything else i should be aware of or any other problems with this plan?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

You cannot claim the FHOG – from a finance perspective what is the number of units on the title? 

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Profile photo of rickimrickim
    @rickim

What would make me ineligible for the FHOG?

I've been looking at between 3 and 4 unit blocks.

Participant
    @thefinanceshop

Are you purchasing the units individually or under one title? 

Email Me | Phone Me

@rickim

The majority of blocks i've been looking at aren't strata titled and as such, they all come under the one title which is where i see the complications beginning to start . . .

Participant
    @thefinanceshop

See that's what I thought when I stated that you will not be eligible. Which state is this?

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Rick

Firstly welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy your time with us.

Purchasing upto 4 properties on a single Title isn't an issue for a residential loan.

I own 2 blocks of units in Brisbane (1 being 6 x 2 and the other 14 x 1 + 4 x 2) and both deals at the time were done as residential loans (that story is for another day).

In relation to whether you can claim the FHOG i would have initially agreed with Shahin. In saying this i have just had a client do exactly as you are intending to do and he obtained in writing from the Qld OSR that "Yes" he could still claim the FHOG.

Suggest you make your own enquiries but as say this deal has now settled and he has additional funds. 

Cheers

Yours in Finance 

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

I think the requirement to get the FHOG is that you live in the property within the first 12 months. Don't think there are any restrictions on renting out part of it.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

@rickim

Shaihin – In QLD

Richard – Thanks for the welcome and your reply. Thats good news about the FHOG from what your saying about your clients experience. Are you able to provide a little more insight on how you recommend structuring the loan/s for this type of strategy. What did you client do in his/her case?

Terry – Yes, from all the info i've read on the FHOG i believe i would still meet the criteria under my plan although i was keen for advice from some professionals on here or others that may have already implemented the same strategy as the one i'm planning.

Participant
    @thefinanceshop

Ok your situation is complex – preferably email you situation along with your details and get them to respond. That way you will have an email trail of the conversation. You will need to provide all the information – even the type of entity you are purchasing from (company or individual).

Regards

Shahin

Email Me | Phone Me

@rickim

Thanks for the advice.

Any ideas on how i might go about structuring the loan/s for this type of plan?

Participant
    @thefinanceshop

Different lenders have different policies so you need to ensure that your situation fits in with the lender's requirements. Some lenders do a maximum of 3 units within a title and some do 4. Some have 90% LVR restrictions and so on. What are the details of the loan and security amounts?

Regards

Shahin

Email Me | Phone Me

@rickim

I don’t have a specific property in mind for purchase just yet and therefore I can’t provide any exact details. From what I’ve been looking at though, I will be able to cover anywhere from a 12-15% deposit with the savings I have currently.

Will the fact that I plan to continue renting out the remaining units aid in my quest for finance as I will be earning rental income which will help with repayments. Or will the fact that I may not be able to get a standard type of residential mortgage negate the perceived benefit of the rental income?

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Rick the loan will be secured over all of the units within the block so the amount you can claim as a Tax deduction will be based on the floor area available for rent.

I.e Assume that the area of the entire block is 400 Sq M and you live in 1 of the 4 units which takes up 100 Sq M then you would be able to claim 3/4 of the overall costs.

In relation to the loan it may still be possible to take out a standard residential loan but it would be credit scored so you are going to need 10% deposit minimum. I would probably suggest an interest only loan with 100% offset account.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

@rickim

Richard – thanks for your reply. What do you mean by ‘credit scored’ as opposed to what? Not credit scored? I’m sorry but I don’t understand these terms.

Also, I will be able to come up with a minimum of 10% deposit although I am wondering If you recommend only coming in with the minimum of 10% or putting down more? I could, but i wonder if I’m better off keeping the extra $$ for capital improvements as the blocks I’m looking at are definitely renos.

Sorry, another question, if I can come up with a 10% deposit on the amount I want to borrow to finance the property and the loan amount is within my borrowing capacity will the banks valuation of the property still affect the approval of the loan if say the property costs between 5-15% more than the valuation? I’m still trying to understand how lenders might consider my plan.

Cheers

Participant
    @thefinanceshop

If your LVR is at 90% you need 2 things. 1. make sure the units on the title are limited to 3 and 2. your application must be very strong. Im talking servicing, employment, address history, asset position, the whole box and dice.

Regards

Shahin

Email Me | Phone Me

@rickim

Shahin – is this just in my case because of my plan and only with certain lenders or have the majority of lenders further tightened their lending criteria?

Also, how come the number of units on the title has such an impact on financing?

Participant
    @thefinanceshop

G'day Rick,

This has been the lenders' policies for a long time. Its too much risk for the bank to take on as a residential application. You can still submit the application but it would need to be a commercial application which means higher rates amongst many things.

Regards

Shahin

Email Me | Phone Me

@rickim

Thanks for your replies guys. I’m more than a little confused now though as I have two brokers telling me two different things. Richard is saying it shouldn’t be a problem getting a residential loan on anything up to 4 units on the one title and Shahin are you actually saying that I will more than likely need a commercial loan, is this right? I wouldn’t think I would have any chance getting a commercial application through based on my deposit and also because of the properties I’m looking at.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Some lenders would treat this as resi and some as commercial.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.