All Topics / Help Needed! / Need advice on finance with a 90% LVR.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of dymockcdymockc
    @dymockc

Hi All,

I am in the market of purchasing my first property to owner occupy it for up to five years and then lease it out using the property as security to purchase another property.

My concern is that I am looking at apartments in the inner city suburbs of Northcote, Brunswick, Caulfield and Kew where a 1 bedroom off the plan unit is approximately $360,000 but all are just shy of 50sqm – we are talking marginally. Within my budget are units that range between 46 and 49sqm's.

I currently have a deposit of 10% ready to put down on a property but before I go ahead and put the deposit down on a property that I like, I want to be sure that I can get finance. I'm in a fortunate position where I don't have any loan repayments, nor have any defaults on my credit rating – and pay all my recurring bills on time.

Based on my deposit that I have been able to save for ($35,000) and the amount of the loan ($330,000) my LVR is 90.41%.

My question is, how will this LVR fit with the lenders in the market today? I am aware that I will need LMI as the LVR is above the 80% threshold.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Regards

Chris

Profile photo of dymockcdymockc
    @dymockc

I should add that the dimensions listed in my original post are for "living areas" so excludes balconies/courtyards.

@dymockc

I should add that the dimensions listed in my original post are for "living areas" so excludes balconies/courtyards.

@dymockc

Tom,

Thanks for your reply.

You mentioned a strong application, what is defined as a "strong" application, if I may ask?

Also, it's worth noting, I wouldn't be paying a stamp duty as the property would be purchased OTP.

Cheers

Chris

@dymockc

I would also think, that if the property would to decrease closer to settlement, that my LVR would be higher as I would in theory be borrowing less?

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

A strong application can mean good borrowing capacity, a good asset position relative to age, minimal consumer debt and a low number of credit enquiries on your file.

Do some searches on Off the Plan or OTP – there's a lot of cons (as well as some pros) to consider.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw
    dymockc wrote:
    I would also think, that if the property would to decrease closer to settlement, that my LVR would be higher as I would in theory be borrowing less?

But you would still be paying the same amount even if the property decreased. The loan will decease in size with the LVR based on the value, but the purchase price the same. So if the value decreased then you may have to chip in a bit of cash.

Consider a drop of 10% – could you come up with the cash to settle if this happened?

Plan for the worst (and 10% may not be the worst) and then hope it doesn't happen.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of ygue6072ygue6072
    Participant
    @ygue6072

From my understand about Of the Plan purchases… when you sign the contract you agree to that price (e.g. $360k) if in 12-18months time when it is time to settle the property value decreases (e.g. to $300k) you are still locked into the original price of $360k. This is why obtaining finance might be difficult as the bank wouldn't be willing to lend you that amount based on the new lower value. This would mean you would need to come up with the difference…

Profile photo of bm17bm17
    Participant
    @bm17

One other thing that is worth considering is that the details of the property in the contract, may end up being different to what is built. This exact situation happened to a colleague of mine, who signed a contract for a 55sqm property, but when construction was completed (about 8 months after the advertised completion date) the property he purchased was only 49sqm. This meant the bank wanted to reduce the LVR by 20% meaning he would have to come up with additional 20% of the purchase price to settle.

He is currently trying to contest the contract through his lawyers, but the whole process has been a nightmare.

As Jamie mentions, there should be a lot of information on off the plan purchases that should be considered.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw
    ygue6072 wrote:
    From my understand about Of the Plan purchases… when you sign the contract you agree to that price (e.g. $360k) if in 12-18months time when it is time to settle the property value decreases (e.g. to $300k) you are still locked into the original price of $360k. This is why obtaining finance might be difficult as the bank wouldn't be willing to lend you that amount based on the new lower value. This would mean you would need to come up with the difference…

Yes, price is locked in. And recently many off the plans have been coming in with valuations low. This may be due to a few reasons such as:

1. Developers selling off remaining stock at a discount just to get rid of them.

2. Developers and/or agents inflating prices initially to gain high commissions

3. Market drop

What could happen is something similar to this:

buy for $500,000 with a 1 year settlement.

come to settle at the value is now $450,000

Bank is willing to lend you $450,000 x 90% = $405,000

The purchaser must still pay $500,000 so will need to find $95,000 cash.

The purchaser only budgetting for 10% of $500,000 = $50,000 so they are short by $45,000.

If the purchaser cannot settle they they will lose their $50,000 deposit and could be sued for the any loss the vendor may have suffered.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of PLCPLC
    Participant
    @plc

Hi Chris,

With OTP purchases as they are normally completed a long period after signing the contract, you need to keep in mind that:

1. Finance cannot be fully approved until closer to the settlement date;

2. The property may decrease in value and you may need to stump up more funds at settlement.

In terms of your security, it comes down to what the LMI insurer will accept as security for your LVR. A few lenders have a minimum of 50sqm excluding balconies, etc. while some will allow a minimum of 40sqm of living space if the property is in a "desirable and high demand capital city metropolitan location."

The suburbs you are looking at are more higher end than not, but it really is at the discretion of the LMI insurer. A strong application would help.

Also keep in mind that you would need to come up with funds for stamp duty, etc even if it is minimal though FHOG can be offset against this.

Cheers

Tom

PLC | Phoenix Loan Consulting
    Email Me | Phone Me

Melbourne based Mortgage Broker | Making Finance Simple

Profile photo of PLCPLC
    Participant
    @plc

Anything that helps de-risk the application for a lender and LMI insurer makes it more attractive for them to borrow you money. Jamie has mentioned a few items below that assist a strong application, another item can be a stable employment history (the longer in your current employment, the better).

Oh, and you will still be paying stamp duty even on an OTP purchase, it will however be calculated on the land value only at date of contract as building hadn't commenced.

Cheers

Tom

PLC | Phoenix Loan Consulting
    Email Me | Phone Me

Melbourne based Mortgage Broker | Making Finance Simple

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.