All Topics / Help Needed! / Discretionary Trusts

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Profile photo of RfreeRfree
    @rfree

Hi all, 

I'm hoping to get some extra information regarding a strategy in Steve's book 0-130 properties. He mentions establishing a company and family trust, and appointing the company as the trustee for the trust. Then buying a property for the trust (under the company/trustee name) using a personal guarantee to secure the loan. He also mentions it is possible to approach another lender once maxed out and repeating the process with another trust.

Our current situation is no debt, combined income of 120K gross, and 50k savings. We currently own no property or other investment assets. My questions are:

Will using a personal guarantee to secure the loan for the company affect our future borrowing capacity?

Can we be beneficiaries of the trust if we are the directors of the company acting as trustee?

Is this a viable strategy in todays market?

What are the traps to avoid with setting up a company and family trust?

Thanks in advance for your help, hoping for replies from people who have used this process only.

Regards,

Rob.

Profile photo of Maree72Maree72
    Participant
    @maree72

We have only had great benefit with the creation of discretionary trusts. At the moment we have 4 trusts operating and they work great for the business and property focuses we have. 

Find a great accountant and let them guide you through the best structure for you. There are obviously stages where this structure is of extreme benefit – they will know the best timing for you. we are beneficiaries of the trusts and directors of the trustee company.

When you are making a profit – the trusts have been the perfect structure for us. 

We had a hard lesson with land tax as being beneficiary of the trusts brought the land tax back on to him as an individual, which I thought was very tricky. 

We have properties and businesses so this structure was right for us, but the key is your accountant and advisers – get the best and you will have great advice.

Best wishes :-)

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Rob

This is a question we get asked regularly and Steve himself has updated his earlier statement made in his book.

Providing a guarantee in your capacity as a Director regretfully will treated as your own liability and will need to be declared in all future lending applications.

There are certainly lenders out there who look more favourably when it comes to applications in Trust and who do not charge higher fees or interest rates however this does not get you around the borrowing issue.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

I have had a few email enquires regarding using trusts and not maxing out.

I agree with Richard, the only way it could work is if you can get different people to act as directors for each trustee company and you just be an un named beneficiary.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of RfreeRfree
    @rfree

Maree, Richard and Terry,

Thanks for your responses. I have found them most helpful, and I'm scratching my head as to why I haven't been asking questions on this forum sooner.

Thanks again,

Rob.

Profile photo of mattstamattsta
    Participant
    @mattsta

When I read Steve's book, I also got excited about that section about using trusts to prevent maxing out. I then asked around in the forums, and was told that Steve's exact method doesn't work anymore. I suggest doing what was suggested above then, but have not tried it out as yet.

Profile photo of bardonbardon
    Participant
    @bardon

I have both a Unit Trust and Discretionary Trust.  I used the UT to buy a house from me and set it up as a massive negative geared investment, it worked well and it allowed me to massively increase the debt on the property.  A DT would have been no good for me as you cannot distribute a loss.  I use my DT for the odd bit of consultancy and bonuses where it works fine in distributing the funds to no income earners.  Over the years I am not 100% convinced that you need trusts in mosts circumstances with all things being equal.

Profile photo of pliddipliddi
    @pliddi

Hi Terry – in your latter scenario, getting new directors for each company trustee would basically have the same advantages (and disadvantages) of getting someone to go guarantor for you on a loan, correct?

Just wanted to clarify if the option you outlined was simply for the theory of it, as opposed to presenting an option with advantages.

Cheers,

Peter

Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Peter

Yes in simplistic terms but not in reality if they are related.

If husband was Director or one Company he would still be consider a married person in regards to a living allowance expense even though his wife was not a Director or party to the loan.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Participant
    @terryw
    pliddi wrote:
    Hi Terry – in your latter scenario, getting new directors for each company trustee would basically have the same advantages (and disadvantages) of getting someone to go guarantor for you on a loan, correct?

Just wanted to clarify if the option you outlined was simply for the theory of it, as opposed to presenting an option with advantages.

Cheers,

Peter

Not sure what you mean. Every director of a company taking a loan would need to give a personal guarantee. You could be director of one and then your spouse director of the next one. You may have a friend who is willing and able to take the reigns – but this would be a huge burden to them and a risk for yourself too as the director of the trustee controls the trust. (but the appointor could remove the trustee giving you some control).

Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

@pliddi

Thanks Richard and Terry,

Was commenting in regards to increasing an individuals loan potential (as popularised in McKnight's book).  

If the scenario is that you have to get new directors each time because the director is assessed in terms of all loans they have been guarantor on, then I was clarifying that there would be no advantage in creating a trust and a company as trustee if your ambition was to increase your loan potential.

I think Richard might have been angling at other benefits (or detractions) with the company.  Apart from a company being capped at a 30% tax rate, I'm afraid I'm not well informed on the advantages of using a company as an investment vehicle.  Is there a particular book or resource you would recommend ?  I assume a company can be used to support living allowance expenses, travel, and accommodation, to certain degrees, of directors/employees if it relates to deriving a profit.

Cheers

Participant
    @terryw

If you will be using a company as trustee then the company is merely a legal owner with no tax consequences. Income flows through the trust and is not normally taxed in the hands of the trustee. The income is distributed to the beneficiaries who pay tax at their own marginal rates. If the trustee doesn't make a declaration to distribute income before 40 June (and there are no takers in default) then the 'trust' is taxed at 46%. ie not the company but the trust with its own tax return.

The trust can pay private expenses (subject to the terms in the deed) but these won't be deductible unless they relate to the production of income.

Trusts don't increase borrowing capacity as stated in that book, but they do help by making things flexible. So your trust owned property and had equity but after a few years you had a default on your credit file and could no longer get finance. All that equity sitting there not being able to be used. What you could do is to replace the director of the trustee company and/or units in the unit trust with another willing person who would then use their borrowing power to apply for a loan.

Email Me

@pliddi

Got it

– the trust is protective and permits other flexibility

– increased borrowing power is not an innate benefit

– guarantors are always people, not matter the entity they are part of, and going guarantor reduces borrowing power the same as regular individual home loan would

The latter company scenario was not necessarily related to trusts.  As Richard mentioned 'living allowance expenses', I was commenting that I'm sure there must be benefits to operating an investment company (including the potentially lower tax rate), and it would be interesting to read further on the subject.

Participant
    @terryw

I think Richard was referring to serviceability calculations by lenders.

Email Me

Participant
    @qlds007

No that's exactly what I was referring to.

What i was suggesting that using a husband as a Director in 1 Company and Wife in the other wont increase your borrowing capacity all things being equal.

Unrelated parties would be different.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.