All Topics / Finance / Lo/low doc loans

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Profile photo of skyeglskyegl
    Participant
    @skyegl

I am after such a loan for property purchase in good area of Melbourne. Can u help?

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi there

It's a very vague question which no one will be able to answer without some more info.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of jonmardelljonmardell
    @jonmardell

there are a few general requirements for low doc loans now. Firstly you need to be registered for GST and have an ABN for 2 years. You will also need to verify you income via your last 4 BAS statements. Your LVR will also need to be below 80% and if you want to avoid mortgage insurance 60%. These are just general requirements but will allow you to have a pick of a few lenders.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

can your prove your income? Are you willing to show 12 months BAS statements and trading accounts and do these reflect the income you will declare?

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Jon there is no legal requirement whatsoever to be registered for GST where you turnover is less than $75,000 whether the application is lodoc or fulldoc.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

@jonmardell

Hi Richard, i never said it was a legal requirement. I was just stating the general rules with most of the majors at the moment. Even as you said your declared income is under 75K you dont need to be registered for GST a lot of lenders will still have that as their requirement.

Participant
    @qlds007

Really Jon i cant think of any lender who insists that you have to be GST registered where you are declaring a turnover of less than $75,000.

Done many a lodoc loan where the client is apply for $150K and is only earning $60K or so per annum.

Dont have to be GST registered to receive investment rental income so that is purely from the registered ABN.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Profile photo of Don NicolussiDon Nicolussi
    Participant
    @don

In addition to the options mentioned above have been having success recently using 6 months business banking statements rather than bas returns for low doc clients. The annualised income from the last 6 months will need to reflect what you declare. As stated not a lot of info to work on here. Rate is better than most lenders standard variable at the moment. Some consolidation when refinancing acceptable.

Don Nicolussi | Mortgage Broker - Home Loan Warehouse
    http://homeloanwarehouse.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

"I think of finance as a technology, a way of getting things done." Robert Shiller

@jonmardell
    Qlds007 wrote:
    Really Jon i cant think of any lender who insists that you have to be GST registered where you are declaring a turnover of less than $75,000.

Done many a lodoc loan where the client is apply for $150K and is only earning $60K or so per annum.

Dont have to be GST registered to receive investment rental income so that is purely from the registered ABN.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Hi Richard, CBA, Homeside, Westpac and ANZ just to name a few all require 12 months BAS statements under low doc policy not matter what the declared income is.

Profile photo of jenny111jenny111
    Participant
    @jenny111

Hi All,

This might be a silly question – but do the BAS returns have to show profit? i.e.: if all the quarterly BAS returns for 2 recent years show consistent losses, would the lenders qualify (provided of course the borrower sign the stat dec to say that he can repay).

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

If you can't demonstrate that you can service the debt then the lender isn't going to lend the money.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Participant
    @jenny111

Hi (again).

And what do lenders particularly look for in the BAS returns? – the turnover income or the profit/loss figure for serviceability?

Participant
    @jenny111

Thanks, Jamie. 

Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Jenny

No silly thing is that some lenders work off a percentage of Gross Turnover as shown on your BAS and only require your last 2 statements.

In some cases we can annualise the income based on a 6 months BAS and then apply a turnover calculation.

Bottom line is you should never commit to something where you cannot clearly meet the repayments..

Cheers

Yours in Finance 

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

Lenders will look at your taxable income however this is calculated by dividing your taxable income by the 12 month sales noted in your BAS Statements. This must fall within a certain percentage (generally under 50%). 

Lenders require different information when it comes to lo docs and in fact CBA charges a higher interest rate for their lo doc loans as they are seen as higher risk loans (it may have something to do with the fact that they have a higher percentage of defaults for lo doc loans).

Regards

Shahin

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Participant
    @jenny111

Thanks, Everyone.

The BAS statements don't really reveal whether the borrower is a trustee or a guarantor. Do lenders take into account of the borrower who happens to also be a guarantor or a borrowing trustee of another entity (let say a company or family trust) when they assess Lo Doc?  Would the answer be the same as for standard loan?

I mean generally people only borrow when they believe or are confident that they will be able to pay it back (comfortably). So the question is – why would anyone still opts for Lo Doc when it firstly would require a higher down payment (40%) as opposed to the standard 20% before mortgage insurance kicks in, and secondly Lo Doc also has a higher interest rate, fees and charges? Nowaday, 20% deposit is a considerable amount of money which would require time to accumulate.

I mean why wait longer to obtain the 40% deposit when one can start the first step toward owning a property with only half of that deposit (not to mention the higher interest charges and fees incur with Lo Doc).  Hence, I am thinking not having to reveal about being a trustee/guarantor may be the reason why people still go for Lo Docs.   

On the surface, I see more disadvantages than benefits in Lo Doc. But perhaps I am wrong.

Participant
    @thefinanceshop

Hi Jenny,

Lo doc loans are provided for self employed applicants that do not have sufficient paperwork that would be required for any standard loan. Generally speaking and based on the stats released by lenders, this demographic of applicants are subject to higher defaults than applicants of full doc loans. This is why banks and other institutions do not look favorably on these clients, impose tougher restrictions or charge higher interest/fees or any combination of the 3.

If you have full documentation then you shouldn't be applying for a lo doc. 

Regards

Shahin

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @qlds007

Jenny carrying on from what Shahin has put you have to understand that whether you are a borrower or a guarantor you will still be treated the same in regards to serviceability.

Whilst not all lenders charge a higher rate for lodoc loans (60% and less) bottom line is if you can provide adequate documentation for a full doc loan go this route rather take the easier lodoc route.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Participant
    @jenny111

That makes sense now. Thanks Shahin & Richard.

Participant
    @thefinanceshop

Of course with lo doc you will need to use a higher deposit base which is another potential disadvantage (particularly if you have an aggressive investment strategy). 

Regards

Shahin

Email Me | Phone Me

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.