All Topics / Overseas Deals / Florida VS Atlanta

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Profile photo of CasaHunterCasaHunter
    Participant
    @casahunter

Hi!
    I would like to know if you rather invest in Atlanta or in Florida and why?

Profile photo of worldinvestorworldinvestor
    Participant
    @worldinvestor

Hi CH
    I can not comment with regards to Florida.

However, I purchased in Atlanta primarily for cashflow among other things, where I was achieving 20% gross return on properties, unfortunately this has now changed.

I like the warm climate, hopefully less maintenance.

Atlanta has more than one industry. 

You may be interested in the attached stats on population trends for Atlanta.

http://www.accesspaulding.com/demographics/Georgia_Population_Projection_2010_2030.pdf

WI

Profile photo of streamlineinvestingstreamlineinvesting
    Participant
    @streamlineinvesting

We have a property in Florida, unfortunately I cannot compare it to Atlanta, but I am happy with Florida and the market there.

That being said, there is oppurtunity in both markets, so it is more important you select the right property in either area.

Profile photo of TZTZ
    @tz

South Florida is in hot demand from international buyers due to the proximity to the emerging markets of Latin America. Inventory is shrinking by the day and prices are rising fast…so competition is pretty fierce here atm which can be a pain but it may be worthwhile in the long run

Profile photo of CheevesFinancialCheevesFinancial
    Participant
    @cheevesfinancial

As of the last few months, there has been a rat race of international and domestic investors in SW Florida to buy "cheap" properties.  "CHEAP" will lead you to rural areas of Cape Coral and Lehigh Acres, the ROI derived from a pro forma.  Recently, I have seen investors WAY overpaying for homes in these areas.  I think the biggest issue with international investors is the mentality that cheaper is better.  I understand the fundamentals of cash flow, but you also have to understand the fundamentals of supply and demand.  It's getting way to close in these sub markets and I just can't justify any longer paying for what is available in the more rural markets anymore. 

As of about 60 days ago, I am exiting that market of the rat race and focusing on Fort Myers.  You will spend more so if you are more keen on buying homes under $75,000, Fort Myers is not for you.  I am looking at $100k to $140k in good areas.  ROI and net yield numbers will be less but naturally that is the case because of the much lower risk in higher end areas.

Smart investors in my opinion should look into more unique product then entering into the rat race.   Fort Myers is the metropolitan epicenter.  It's worth a look.  Far less competition.

CheevesFinancial | Cushman & Wakefield - Commercial Property SW FL
    http://www.CommercialRealEstateVoice.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @worldinvestor

I may be wrong, I thought Fort Myers is where Steve Mcknight has purchased cheap properties $20K+…. Can anyone confirm.

Maybe he got in before the herd, usually does.

Participant
    @cheevesfinancial

WI:
    I know the area Steve is buying in.  Most of them are off of Palm Beach Blvd just east of downtown Ft. Myers.  I know several HUD agents who sell REO's there.  Those prices still exist.  Keep in mind your goal in this area should simply be off cash flow and not potential upside though.  This area is considered the Ft. Myers "warzone".  Even though it is not similar to bad parts in Detroit, it is one of our inferior areas.  My brother just bought a home there and after repairs he was in it for $38,000.  His rent is $650 and fixed expenses are very low.  He is subsidized by Section 8 for $500 of the $650 so at the very least, he is guaranteed $500 a month. 

To me, you need to own several here to make it worthwhile.  These prices in the $20's are still do-able though.  I have talked to many investors who buy here and some love it and some hate it.  I guess it's just a hit or miss and you have to have someone on the ground and really good management to maintain a good investment here.  A property manager can make or break this area for you.  But you just have to know where you are buying into and as long as you are comfortable with that, then you can run your risk numbers.

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of jayhinrichsjayhinrichs
    Participant
    @jayhinrichs

Cheeves

Interesting,,,,what I saw on some of Steve Mcnights buys were Mobile homes and single wides at that for dirt cheap.
    But put those mobile homes in a nice Mobile Park and that is one of the better investments in the US… the ones that run really well and have great upside and such will trade at a 4 to 7 cap rate max… You can find MH parks for much higher but they usually have large vacancies or are all trash tenants that are really hard to collect from.

I have owned a few over the years can’t say I have not,,, there is no financing for them. and they are tougher to maintain because parts are not standard and there is little to no upside and attract the very bottom of the tenant pool which is never my personal desire.

I think we need to remember that the market in Lehigh and coral got all the way up to 220 to 250k then had one of the great crash’s of all time where these house’s got all the way down to 30k like the few I bought a few years ago…Of course you had to buy them direct at auction at that price… Most investors could not get them for that price,,, I sold my two in the 70’s to GB buyers… After pay rehab and 3 layers of marketing guys… One in florida one in Detroit and the guy in GB tacked on 10 or 15k… those GB resellers are really agressive in what they want to make.

I think the theme here and of course I have been preaching it for as long as I have been on this site, is to buy better areas, you see that in what Alex is doing,, now your doing it…

And others will follow as they read about the trials and tribulations of buying the lowest end properties in the US…

Participant
    @cheevesfinancial

Hi Jay-
    I spoke to Alex.  We are actually diverting to similar strategy that we believe will have a more maximum return on the dollar and not really caring about the word "cheap".  Of course I am going to have my ceiling from an investor perspective, but I'm not buying into the $20k range.  My father in law owned a double wide.  Actually not bad looking..  Bought it for $9,000 and rents for $600 a month.  Problem after problem he decided to sell and got $12,000 as a FSBO.  He is retiring now :-)  kidding.

I'm just thinking aheah.  I've got a good track record of doing so.  I'll always update my personal properties on my website if anyone wants to see what I am personally doing and what my investors are doing. 

FYI, I know nothing about trailer parks except the fact as you mentioned there is no financing for it. 

What I do know is where to minimize my risk and maximize my yield.  We are just one big happy family of forum members of creative individuals. :-) 

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of CasaHunterCasaHunter
    Participant
    @casahunter
    worldinvestor wrote:
    Hi CH
    I can not comment with regards to Florida.

However, I purchased in Atlanta primarily for cashflow among other things, where I was achieving 20% gross return on properties, unfortunately this has now changed.

I like the warm climate, hopefully less maintenance.

Atlanta has more than one industry. 

You may be interested in the attached stats on population trends for Atlanta.

http://www.accesspaulding.com/demographics/Georgia_Population_Projection_2010_2030.pdf

WI

Thank you everyone for your posts!

WI,
    How much did that gross return percentage dropped to? Do you think its likely to remain low?
    Cheers,
    CH

Participant
    @worldinvestor

Hi CH
    Varies greatly depending on the deal, some as low as 14% gross.

I am focused on cashflow  for good reason, there is plenty of slippage, ie property management fees, vacancies, insurance, maintenance etc.   

I also like  properties that rent over $1000  – 1300 per month. purchasing properties anywhere from $18-25 sq ft, I have not found anything close to this now and even when I was purchasing at these prices were pretty amazing. But I was also buying homes that were distressed and some investors possibly would not touch, ie termite damage, of course you would never buy anything usless you knew the problem could be fixed.

So now it is a different ball game, some investors  are still buying gems.

I know an investor who has just settled on  a block of 4 townhouses approx.  $78,000 in Altanta, brick construction, excellent county and each property will rent out for $850 per month, it was a bidding war she simply wiped out her competition by offering much higher bid and it has paid off. I guess she recognised an amazing deal and prepared to pay more for it. I wish it was mine. Good luck to her.

Cheers, WI

Profile photo of sparkyozsparkyoz
    @sparkyoz

Hi,

I like Florida – I am investing in Orlando and am very happy with it. Yields usually around 8-15%. Now that you can get mortgages I plan to buy around 10 properties. No issues getting tenants as strong demand.

There are good foreclosures available in Orlando, Tampa, Fort Myers and Jacksonville. A lot of cheaper places in Miami have already gone.

No state tax in Florida and the supply of foreclosures is going down – strong competition out there.

Regards,

Steve

mattnz
    Participant
    @mattnz

Hi Sparky, you are an Australian who can get mortgages in Florida? How are you accessing them and under what terms?

Thanks,
    Matt

Profile photo of LiamTLiamT
    @liamt

The strong rental demand in both Atlanta and Florida is good for getting tenants… What you have to ask yourself is what place is going to give you quality tenants. Crime rate is usually a good indication.

Liam

Profile photo of Alex SCAlex SC
    Participant
    @alex-sc
    LiamT wrote:
    The strong rental demand in both Atlanta and Florida is good for getting tenants… What you have to ask yourself is what place is going to give you quality tenants. Crime rate is usually a good indication. Liam

Atlanta is a major City and Florida is a state . So that alone should separate the two of them completely . I think Atlanta up to a couple of months ago offered one of the cheapest price point for quality rentals in the USA.  Florida has multiple markets that investors are playing in.

Some of our international lenders are buying Million dollar penthouse condo's in Miami. Where I see alot of action in the following markets, Orlando, Tampa , North Port , Lei-high acres .

So to try to compare a city to a state is apples and oranges. It would be more fair to compare Orlando, Florida = versus Atlanta Georgia. At the end of the day both states have some great buys for investors.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.