All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Refinancing IP loan to pay of PPOR loan

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of PFrankyXPFrankyX
    @pfrankyx

From an accounting perspective, if I have an investment property with a LVR of 50% and want to refinance to an LVR of 80% and use those funds to pay off my PPOR, will I be able to claim the new full amount of interest as a deduction or is it only the amount pre refinance that i am able to claim as an expense as the funds are drawn for personal use to pay down a non-deductible debt?

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

No you can't.

The additional borrowings are for a PPOR so they're not deductible.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of igreenigreen
    Participant
    @igreen

Another option

if you have more than one property both with 50%, then

Borrow upto 80% from property B and put it into Property A. Then sell property A and put all the money in your PPOR.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw
    igreen wrote:
    Another option if you have more than one property both with 50%, then Borrow upto 80% from property B and put it into Property A. Then sell property A and put all the money in your PPOR.

That won't help because there would be a loan from property B which would need to be paid back when A is sold.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of PFrankyXPFrankyX
    @pfrankyx
    Terryw wrote:
    That won't help because there would be a loan from property B which would need to be paid back when A is sold.

That’s ok, it does make sense that to be able to claim the interest as a deduction any funds drawn / refinance etc need to be spent on investment and not personal purposes.
    Therefore if I wish to pay off my PPOR, I simply forfeit the ability to claim the additional interest as a deduction.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Yes thats true but i am not sure why you would do it?

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of PFrankyXPFrankyX
    @pfrankyx

The greater plan is to pay off my PPOR as fast as i can and i am working out if it is going to be better off in the long run to either refinance an IP and forfeit the deductions or sell and pay CGT.

Time will tell when the figures are in place.

But my question has been answered that i cannot claim the interest if i refinance an IP to pay off my PPOR.

Thanks all.

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

All you are doing is 'shifting the debt' – no advantage other than an unencumbered home.

On paper you may have paid the home off but the debt remains.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Yes Derek my sentiments exactly but i assumed all PF wanted was an unecumbered home.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek
    Qlds007 wrote:
      an unecumbered home.

Yep that is the only advantage I see. Non-deductible debt will remain albeit 'hidden' in a second loan against refinanced IP.

As an afterthought – if you are going down this pathway lake sure you split your new loans so the 'PPOR' component is clearly distinguished from the IP component. Make things much cleaner for tax purposes.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.