All Topics / Value Adding / Attention Renovators! What would you do with this property? (Picture included)

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Profile photo of alfrescodiningalfrescodining
    Participant
    @alfrescodining

Hi Everyone

I'm considering purchasing this property with the intent of building another dwelling on the site.

To do a dual occupancy and retain the existing house, the Council requires the existing house to make a positive contribution to the streetscape.

What would you recommend in order to get this house looking decent from the outside? Is it possible to cover the fibro with some other good-looking material?

Any suggestions?

Profile photo of littleaussielittleaussie
    Participant
    @littleaussie

Hi,
    We renovate houses and rent them out as our investment strategy and we've had problems with fibro cement. Fibro cement pre 1985 is classed as asbestos and the company who hire us our skips ( large bins) will not allow us to place it in the bins. A lot of tradies won't go near it either. You'll also need to be very careful if it gets damaged as the fibres in it may be harmful. If the fibro cement is in good condition it may be safely painted over but avoid sanding it as this will release the fibres. It is expensive to dispose of. Try to find out when the home was built, if it was prior to 1985 there's a pretty good chance that it's asbestos.  A building inspector should be able to advise you on what you can safely do to make the home more inviting without harm to yourself or family.  Good luck, hope all goes well for you.

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

Clear the trees, put a nice picket fence, paint it a warm colour with contrasting window frames and eaves, clean the roof (maybe respray?), new door. Can't see the driveway but do something with that if ugly. .I think that will make a vast difference and not cost a fortune.

Profile photo of Solomon10Solomon10
    Participant
    @solomon10

Budget dependent, new colorbond roof, paint all external walls hog bristle colour, trim antique white usa, render the small brick section under window, remove bushes and lay mulch. Also add a fascia board to the sides of the porch roof and change the front screen door. I think the punters would love it, roof would be most expensive part of this, the rest relatively cheap.

Profile photo of alfrescodiningalfrescodining
    Participant
    @alfrescodining

Thanks for the excellent responses guys.

One more thing I forgot to ask: I would need to put a carport within the front setback of the building, as this is the only way I would be able to comply with the Council's parking controls.

Where woul you guys put a carport if you had to put one in?

Profile photo of TZTZ
    @tz

Nice timber decking out front….

Profile photo of EngeloRumoraEngeloRumora
    Participant
    @engelorumora

I would tidy up the gutters and eaves if needed. Get a gardener to clean up the bushes. Spray the roof and walls with 2 different colours.

EngeloRumora | Ohio Cashflow
    http://ohiocashflow.com/
    Email Me | Phone Me

F@#$ THE REST WORK WITH OHIO CASHFLOW TO INVEST

Participant
    @alfrescodining

What colour besides white shades is good to paint the outside walls with?

Participant
    @alfrescodining

Would anyone recommend brick cladding?

Participant
    @catalyst
    alfrescodining wrote:
    Would anyone recommend brick cladding?

No! No! No!

We used Hog Bristle on the outside walls for our last fibro place with Hog Bristle Quarter for the windows and trims. White can yellow over time.

We like it. We use Hog Bristle quarter inside on the walls too.

Profile photo of Solomon10Solomon10
    Participant
    @solomon10

I ll second that Catalyst, brick cladding is hideous. Everyone loves Hog bristle, it isn't one of Dulux's top colours for nothing.

Profile photo of sapphire101sapphire101
    Participant
    @sapphire101

Hey Alfresco,

Go the Hog's Bristle – terrible name – great colour. I used this as well although mainly on interiors.
    If you want to know all about renovating read this article
    The Best Reno System Ever Made
    To see the 'Hog" colour in a reno go here : THE HOG and click on Renovation Case Study 2

Hope it helps

Ian
    http://www.theblockblog.com
    Free Property Investment Info, Tools & Resources For Investors With A  Sense of Humour.

Participant
    @alfrescodining

I'm still trying to figure out which one is Hogs Bristle.

Is it the white one on the inside walls or the brownish one on the outside?

Profile photo of sapphire101sapphire101
    Participant
    @sapphire101

Interior but it comes out a little whiter in the photos – I went 2 tone walls to skirting.
    Best maybe to check it out at the paint shop for a little more accuracy and there are different strengths to the basic Hog.

That house could come up really nice. The suggestions above are great from Catalyst and Solomon.

Ian
    Block Head @ http://www.theblockblog.com
    Free Property Investment Info, Tools & Resources For Investors With A  Sense of Humour.

Participant
    @catalyst

The outside of the house in Case 2 is Hog Bristle.

Mine is Hog Bristle on the outside. Hog Bristle quarter for the trims. Colours look lighter when outside.

For inside use Hog Bristle quarter. I use Warm Neutral as a feature wall in the lounge (and sometimes in the master bedroom).
    I find it warm and inviting (so do the tenants). My places usually rent to the first person that sees it. The new kitchen etc doesn't hurt either of course.
    If you go daring colours people may not like it, or it won't go with their furniture. I find whit to clinical. Not inviting at all.

If you go to Youtube and type in LovetoReno you will see the house with my colours as I've described above.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates
    alfrescodining wrote:
    Thanks for the excellent responses guys.

One more thing I forgot to ask: I would need to put a carport within the front setback of the building, as this is the only way I would be able to comply with the Council's parking controls.

Where would you guys put a carport if you had to put one in?

Do they require a parking space or a carport? A carport would probably sit across the site as you would need to turn into it or you could widen the driveway. You might consider a carport with a gable end similar to those by Stratco.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.