All Topics / Overseas Deals / self managing in the USA

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • Profile photo of debralawsondebralawson
    @debralawson
    Nigel Kibel wrote:
    you do some interesting work
    you should email me

VIA your website?

Profile photo of jayhinrichsjayhinrichs
    Participant
    @jayhinrichs

Still have to deal with the tenant if their section 8 or not…. Section 8 by and large only pays a portion of the rent… You will get folks that have 100% vochers. then there are some that only get 50% and its up to the PM or property owner to collect the other 50%.

95% or more section 8 in the US is single women with dependants…..

this goes to the whole social aspect of which Freckle has been talking about…. a Huge amount of US citizens that are raised by their mothers and grandmothers with no father influence…. In the Hispanic families if they are in the Barrio its usually because daddy got shot dead in a gang land type thing… In the African american its just that the men on the lower end of the social scale are like rolling stones where ever they lay there hat is there home…. Very common for one women to have 4 or 5 kids all different baby dadys.. and that is your section 8 tenant…. by and large.

so the danger in collecting rent comes when you confront these unstable situations and some relative or boyfriend is there which creates conflict….. Now the white trash in the US is no better… Just check out Swat of KC you can see that first hand… they tend to be tweakers and theifs…

so if you go to study prision populations in the southeast they will be 90% black… In CA.. Hispanic Black about 45 45 with white making up the difference and the whites are usually the skin heads…. then throw in some Nasty Asian gangs members and you have a pretty motely crew.

In our prisions in Oregon were Oregon is 92% white 6 % Hispanic and 1% Asian and Indian the rest Black Samoian etc.  Our prisions are dominated by White supremist skin head types and or just low life white trash tweakers… All the same hard to collect rent from any of these dudes.

JLH

Profile photo of TZTZ
    @tz

Yes exactly, that’s why I said the program “can mitigate some of the risks” associated with those tenants – I couldn’t agree more with your take on the scene in the ‘hood’ and beyond..

Profile photo of kylermricekylermrice
    Participant
    @kylermrice

I could write a couple books on all the crazy stories with my experiences.  The best come from a slum lord i know from California that is a real slime bag, i used to do some side work to help him out.  He never fixed anything and only kept tenants for 3 months maybe.  He had a handy man that was a real piece of work, Gary.  He was trying to sell some houses to some investors from  Cali that he had brought to town.  Well they get to one of the houses he is selling and when they get there they open the door and Gary is  having sex with a hooker in the living room.  Lol, i wish i could have seen the look on the investors faces. 

My property manager carry's a desert eagle .50 caliber with him when he collects rent. 

lol, i like that THE RENT COLLECTORS 

Profile photo of Alex SCAlex SC
    Participant
    @alex-sc
    kylermrice wrote:
    I could write a couple books on all the crazy stories with my experiences.  The best come from a slum lord i know from California that is a real slime bag, i used to do some side work to help him out.  He never fixed anything and only kept tenants for 3 months maybe.  He had a handy man that was a real piece of work, Gary.  He was trying to sell some houses to some investors from  Cali that he had brought to town.  Well they get to one of the houses he is selling and when they get there they open the door and Gary is  having sex with a hooker in the living room.  Lol, i wish i could have seen the look on the investors faces. 

My property manager carry's a desert eagle .50 caliber with him when he collects rent. 

lol, i like that THE RENT COLLECTORS 

LOL love it .I bet we could all sit around and tell some real horror stories…

Profile photo of TZTZ
    @tz

Hahahahaha OMG

Profile photo of debralawsondebralawson
    @debralawson

mmm ok I totally see what you guys are saying we had 1 average house in a town called Ballarat here in VIC had 3 eviction, stray cats, , bag of old needles found, holes in walls. But no guns thanks goodness!!
    So maybe yeah a mid range property is the way to go? But less of them but better quality tenants..
    Anyone out there got good stores about this way in to the states? Or are we better off starting our business there?

Deb

Profile photo of mihovimihovi
    @mihovi

Hi Deb,

I lived in the US (on a H1-B visa, which means legally) between 2000-2006; in New York 1/2 year, Virginia and New Jersey for another 1/2 year each and moved in Indianapolis (Indiana) which is Mid-west for another 5 years (My brother still lives there since 1991). Due to the pretty rough immigration laws and the huge processing backlog I couldn't stay legally any more, so I moved in Canada, where I've got the Canadian citizenship. To be honest, my heart and soul are still in the US and, so far, I don't know anybody coming from the States in Canada who doesn't  enormously miss that country. As I've seen 90% of the eastern coast, all the states in the Mid-West, plus northern states, etc. what can I say: it's gorgeous! As I say to all the guys I know in Canada:" If somebody will give me the US Green card I'll jump in the car and drive across the border immediately, without looking back." I love the US maybe more than a real American citizen, because of those things they can't realize, only if you come from outside…
        As I passed through a lot of immigration processes, I'll try to help you giving some info (legal advice you can get from a qualified immigration attorney, though). To qualify for a visa based on E2 criteria (investor visa) you have to spend at least $50.000 on the investment (in some cases visa were issued for $30.000, but is depends on the type of investment), not counting the money for repairs. The $50K have to be spent only on the investment (the investment has to help the US economy !)and also you have to prove that the investment will give you enough financial security for you and eventual for your dependents as long as you'll live on the American territory.
    Individuals I personally know got the visa for $100k and respectively $120K in the Washington state. From what I know USCIS (United States Citizenship and Immigration Services ) processes the visa following different criteria, with regards to the state where you want to move and the type of investment used. The visa is issued for 1 year and can be extended indefinitely. The dependents over 21 years can apply for the right of work and seek employment.
         When investing in RE a major, major component is the state where you intend to move. You have to chose a location where with the money you'll get from rent, you can have a decent living. There are many states following this criteria and we can open another topic just for this.

@debralawson
    mihovi wrote:
    Hi Deb,

I lived in the US (on a H1-B visa, which means legally) between 2000-2006; in New York 1/2 year, Virginia and New Jersey for another 1/2 year each and moved in Indianapolis (Indiana) which is Mid-west for another 5 years (My brother still lives there since 1991). Due to the pretty rough immigration laws and the huge processing backlog I couldn't stay legally any more, so I moved in Canada, where I've got the Canadian citizenship. To be honest, my heart and soul are still in the US and, so far, I don't know anybody coming from the States in Canada who doesn't  enormously miss that country. As I've seen 90% of the eastern coast, all the states in the Mid-West, plus northern states, etc. what can I say: it's gorgeous! As I say to all the guys I know in Canada:" If somebody will give me the US Green card I'll jump in the car and drive across the border immediately, without looking back." I love the US maybe more than a real American citizen, because of those things they can't realize, only if you come from outside…
        As I passed through a lot of immigration processes, I'll try to help you giving some info (legal advice you can get from a qualified immigration attorney, though). To qualify for a visa based on E2 criteria (investor visa) you have to spend at least $50.000 on the investment (in some cases visa were issued for $30.000, but is depends on the type of investment), not counting the money for repairs. The $50K have to be spent only on the investment (the investment has to help the US economy !)and also you have to prove that the investment will give you enough financial security for you and eventual for your dependents as long as you'll live on the American territory.
    Individuals I personally know got the visa for $100k and respectively $120K in the Washington state. From what I know USCIS (United States Citizenship and Immigration Services ) processes the visa following different criteria, with regards to the state where you want to move and the type of investment used. The visa is issued for 1 year and can be extended indefinitely. The dependents over 21 years can apply for the right of work and seek employment.
         When investing in RE a major, major component is the state where you intend to move. You have to chose a location where with the money you'll get from rent, you can have a decent living. There are many states following this criteria and we can open another topic just for this.

wow thank you so much any help would be good, if I was to open a business there perhaps that would be better than running property? Perhaps buy 1 to live in and set up my business ? Could that work you think?

Profile photo of Ziv Nakajima-MagenZiv Nakajima-Magen
    Participant
    @zmagen
    debralawson wrote:
    I love new York city I'll be honest. Why I love new York I think is obvious and it's the only place I have ever really feel at home so to speak.

Couldn't agree with you more. I wouldn't trade the outback for any city in the world except New York & Tokyo (which might be a tad contaminated atm).
    The lower east side used to be my favourite lurch. :)

Best of luck!

Ziv Nakajima-Magen | Nippon Tradings International (NTI)
    http://www.nippontradings.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Ziv Nakajima-Magen - Partner & Executive Manager, Asia-Pacific @ NTI - Japan Real-Estate Investment Property

Participant
    @kylermrice

In the process of trying to work a way for a buddy to live and work in the states from OZ, that's wants to build a cash flowing portfolio.  The trick is having enough passive income from your investments to support yourself while your here. 

Profile photo of mihovimihovi
    @mihovi
    kylermrice wrote:
    The trick is having enough passive income from your investments to support yourself while your here. 

It's so right !

Also, Deb if you want to buy a property and live in it, that will count as an investment, but as a passive income…it's gone…

Participant
    @kylermrice

I'll take LA and Miami over New York.  No desire to touch Japan now  with all that radiation fallout.  I'm sorry, but they always dumb down how bad it is.  My fiances brother had to have tumors removed from his leg when they lived in Germany and they suspect it was from Chernobyl

Profile photo of Nigel KibelNigel Kibel
    Participant
    @nigel-kibel

yes via my website

Nigel Kibel | Property Know How
    http://propertyknowhow.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

We have just launched a new website join our membership today

Profile photo of sundirtwatersundirtwater
    Participant
    @sundirtwater
    triptizehd wrote:
    I suppose for us the appeal is the opportunities, the relatively low cost of living, tons of cultural diversity, and a sense of adventure.. So far I haven't regretted making the move.

Hi Tripti,
    I'm from the Sunshine Coast as well and would love to hear your Miami ad(Vice) as well as you go along – how about starting a new thread? I had a look at your linkedin profile and the 5-star website – definately looks like a tough job managing that little piece of luxury!
    By the way, absolutely gorgeous weather and perfect surf here in Noosa this past long weekend!!!!
    Stef

Profile photo of TZTZ
    @tz
    debralawson wrote:
    mihovi wrote:
    Hi Deb,

wow thank you so much any help would be good, if I was to open a business there perhaps that would be better than running property? Perhaps buy 1 to live in and set up my business ? Could that work you think?

If you can open a business (committing 100k in funds, or maybe less according to Mihovi’s post) that would be best I believe, to satisfy the E2 requirements – and since you are already self employed in Oz it maybe a pretty straight forward exercise to write a convincing business plan that the US embassy in Australia approves of. Plus, a new business venture has the potential to generate more employment for US nationals, which is something that is looked upon favourably by the decision makers. Here’s some more info: http://www.cilsimmigration.com/american-visas-e.html If the “investment” is a new business that your are starting, then the cash flow projections that show your expected salary and/or expected profits would give enough security, and it should ideally show >65k / year. *I’m not a lawyer, any of the above is not professional advice* The attorney in the link above specializes in E2 visas, and will give you the first consult for free, as most immigration attorneys usually do.

@debralawson

Thanks so much again Tripzie I will contact them for sure. Me and hubby looking tonight for info.. Perhaps a business venture is the go.. Ill keep you posted.

@debralawson

Ph last was that who you used? Do you know them and can I trust them from here? I like to get the full story its all so exciting though…

Profile photo of TZTZ
    @tz
    sundirtwater wrote:
    triptizehd wrote:
    I suppose for us the appeal is the opportunities, the relatively low cost of living, tons of cultural diversity, and a sense of adventure.. So far I haven't regretted making the move.

Hi Tripti,
    I'm from the Sunshine Coast as well and would love to hear your Miami ad(Vice) as well as you go along – how about starting a new thread? I had a look at your linkedin profile and the 5-star website – definately looks like a tough job managing that little piece of luxury!
    By the way, absolutely gorgeous weather and perfect surf here in Noosa this past long weekend!!!!
    Stef

Hi Stef, I tend to get bored talking about myself, so not sure if I want to start a thread, but in answer to your comments we always joke that MB is like Noosa on steroids..I just saw my friend’s instagram pics of Little Cove – it does look divine indeed! I am now a full time property investor, but did work at TK’s last year, which was great to hit the ground running in terms of all things real estate, networks and resources. Coming from an entrepreneurial and medical sales background I had the tools to succeed, but this job gave me the local knowledge I was lacking when I first arrived.

Profile photo of TZTZ
    @tz
    debralawson wrote:
    Ph last was that who you used? Do you know them and can I trust them from here? I like to get the full story its all so exciting though…

Yes and yes – you’ll still have to apply through the embassy in Oz though…

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 76 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.