All Topics / Help Needed! / risks involved in self managing a property?

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Profile photo of Michael_ydMichael_yd
    Participant
    @michael_yd

Hi guys,

My parents’s tenant is going to move out of the property this week, and we’re trying to find tenants to move in. We normally go through an agent with our tenants, but today we had someone that’s interest to rent our property but would like to deal with my parents directly instead of going through our agent.

I’m just thinking what are the risks involved with renting the property out this way? why would people choose not to go through an agent and what if they don’t pay rent?

If we decide to rent to these people privately, is there anything that we can do to protect ourselves?

Cheers guys,

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek
    Profile photo of xdrewxdrew
    Participant
    @xdrew

Go through the proper channels.

It might sound like you are saving a penny but you are costing yourself a pound.

A lot of times the tenant will look ok .. and then you'll find out he's done something bad in the past.

Sub-letting … trashing a place .. the property manager VETS against these sort of disasters.

Getting work done on the property and co-ordinating handymen .. and making sure the rents actually get paid.

I dont have time or WANT to have time to chase tenancies on rent .. or complaints on leaky faucets. Thats what a property manager is there for.

Bypassing the agent is like not taking insurance. You take the extra risk component .. and the liability if something goes awry.

If you do so, I suggest a thorough familiarisation with knowing your rights as a landlord. The REIV (and probably in other states too) used to put out a booklet KNOW YOUR RIGHTS with all the details about what you can and cant do. See if they still produce it.

Profile photo of Michael_ydMichael_yd
    Participant
    @michael_yd

ahh ok, so it’s best just go through an agent instead it sounds.

Thanks so much for the heads up guys

Cheers!

Profile photo of Verity01Verity01
    @verity01

Hi Michael

further to all  of the above responses some Landlord insuance policies will not cover a private landlord which is leaving you really wide open in a worst case scenario.  I am a licensed property manager with two invesment properties that I dont even manage myself…..

Profile photo of sapphire101sapphire101
    Participant
    @sapphire101

Hi Michael,

Some very valid points above so take heed.

If you are considering the DIY approach than can I emphasize the importance of the tenant application checking process. This really has to be stringent and if you don't get through to people that are noted then keep trying or ask for more references.

On the application form ensure you have nothing left out as far as contact details for the prospective tenant, all phone numbers, email, previous 2 addresses, employer details in full etc etc. Also check out the applicant on facebook if you'd like a true insight into their personality. Type in their name and any details until you see their photo come up. You can even google your applicant.

Other extremely important aspects are having the correct forms and processes in place according to "the act".

If you want to read some info on being a landlord and also property managers then try this link
    How To Be  A Zen Landlord

All the best

Ian
    http://www.theblockblog.com
    Free Property Investment Info, Tools & Resources for Investors

Profile photo of BennyteeBennytee
    Participant
    @ten_burner

I find it alarming that a potential tenant would say this, it could be because they have been black listed on a tenancy database,

I agree with the others go the property managment route,

however if you are keen on self management I would at the least get a leasing agreement with a local agency as they can then vet the person then they hand everything over to you (as aposed to a management agreement where they continue to manage) 

Participant
    @michael_yd

Thanks for all the information guys, I’m looking into it right now for future references.

Cheers

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

I've actually gone the opposite direction and self manage (well my wife does – I can't take any of the credit for it).

We don't do this to save a dollar, we just found it frustrating trying to deal with the property managers we had looking after the properties initially.

My wife has been managing the IPs close to home for a few years now and we haven't had too many issues.

I agree that a good PM is worth their weight in gold and I have since met a couple of PMs in the area that I know would do a great job. But we're now at a point where we've got decent tenants in place, communication is open and things are going smoothly (touch wood).

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of DubstepDubstep
    Participant
    @dubstep

Hi Michael,

My wife and I use a property manager for peace of mind, we have great tenants who look after our properties but who knows what will happen in their lives that could change there outlook. ( loss of job, relationship break ups, etc )

I do not know the law well enough or have the stamina to deal with a bad tenant who could be going through a rough time, I would rather someone assist us who knows the rules if things turned ugly, they can then also blacklist a bad tenant so that others can be aware.

The risk is: you are putting your investment in the hands of a stranger ! 

Thanks.

Participant
    @michael_yd

Jamie, what steps did you/your wife went through to VET the tenant that’s in your IP now? I know Ian in the above reply gave very detailed steps for that, but I’d just like to know what others have done to lower the risks when managing yourself.

and thanks to all that gave input in the above replies, it was really helpful

Cheers,

Michael

Participant
    @michael_yd
    sapphire101 wrote:
    Hi Michael,

Some very valid points above so take heed.

If you are considering the DIY approach than can I emphasize the importance of the tenant application checking process. This really has to be stringent and if you don't get through to people that are noted then keep trying or ask for more references.

On the application form ensure you have nothing left out as far as contact details for the prospective tenant, all phone numbers, email, previous 2 addresses, employer details in full etc etc. Also check out the applicant on facebook if you'd like a true insight into their personality. Type in their name and any details until you see their photo come up. You can even google your applicant.

Other extremely important aspects are having the correct forms and processes in place according to "the act".

If you want to read some info on being a landlord and also property managers then try this link
    How To Be  A Zen Landlord

All the best

Ian
    http://www.theblockblog.com
    Free Property Investment Info, Tools & Resources for Investors

regarding the application form, where do I get the form from? sorry, I’ve never done this before and my parents usually goes through a PM.

Cheers,

Michael

Participant
    @jamie-m
    Michael_yd wrote:
    Jamie, what steps did you/your wife went through to VET the tenant that's in your IP now? I know Ian in the above reply gave very detailed steps for that, but I'd just like to know what others have done to lower the risks when managing yourself. and thanks to all that gave input in the above replies, it was really helpful Cheers, Michael

Hi Michael

My wife prepared a fairly comprehensive application form. We have a chat with all of the tenants, then narrow it down to a few.

From there, we look a little further into their recent rental history and ability to afford the repayments – including calls to previous landlords/property managers. At this point, a reference from a registered property manager is extremely helpful (which sounds biased given that I've got some excellent tentants via private rentals at present).

We also have a good understanding of ACT/NSW tenancy legislation and follow every rule closely.

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @michael_yd
    Jamie M wrote:
    Michael_yd wrote:
    Jamie, what steps did you/your wife went through to VET the tenant that's in your IP now? I know Ian in the above reply gave very detailed steps for that, but I'd just like to know what others have done to lower the risks when managing yourself. and thanks to all that gave input in the above replies, it was really helpful Cheers, Michael

Hi Michael

My wife prepared a fairly comprehensive application form. We have a chat with all of the tenants, then narrow it down to a few.

From there, we look a little further into their recent rental history and ability to afford the repayments – including calls to previous landlords/property managers. At this point, a reference from a registered property manager is extremely helpful (which sounds biased given that I've got some excellent tentants via private rentals at present).

We also have a good understanding of ACT/NSW tenancy legislation and follow every rule closely.

Cheers

Jamie

Hi Jamie

are there any websites detailing tenancy legislations?

Cheers,

Michael

Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi Michael

For ACT we use this – http://www.ors.act.gov.au/publication/view/1666/title/the-renting-book-a

A quick google search will come up with heaps of info for NSW.

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Michael,

If you (or your parents) do choose to self-manage make sure you have an intimate knowledge of the relevant legislation in the states in which your parents have property. Legislation does vary from state to state and your parents will need to be on their game.

I ask why are they considering going alone? Is this something they want – or something else?

Key issue for me is self-managed property is not a 'part-time' hobby thing. Your parents will need to be absolutely on the ball with it in a manner much like Jamie and his wife have approached the whole thing. Clearly Jamie's wife is acting as a de-facto property manager and has fully taken the responsibility on board. Can your parents do this?

Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest

Hi Michael.
    The fact that you had to post this question means you don’t have the necessary experience to self manage at the moment.
    If you would like to gain that knowledge first hand, then self managing is the way to go, but be prepared for hell tenants and heavenly ones and everything in between because that’s what you risk until you have enough experience in vetting tenants and later handling tenancy issues as they arise.
    If your intention is to save on agent fees, better to let a professional PM do the job for you otherwise the risk and possible costs from hell tenants are higher than agent fees.

Cheers
    thecrest

thecrest | Tony Neale - Statewide Motel Brokers
    http://www.statewidemotelbrokers.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of soloinvestorsoloinvestor
    Participant
    @soloinvestor

The insurance risk is not worth it. After successfully managing my 4 properties for years I finally got caught. Tenant did $10K worth of damage and insurance paid for $800!!! BECAUSE I did not have a property manager doing the required inspections etc etc!!

Participant
    @jamie-m
    soloinvestor wrote:
    The insurance risk is not worth it. After successfully managing my 4 properties for years I finally got caught. Tenant did $10K worth of damage and insurance paid for $800!!! BECAUSE I did not have a property manager doing the required inspections etc etc!!

You need to ensure your policy covers self managing. But I get the point – there are certainly risks involved.

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of mattstamattsta
    Participant
    @mattsta

if you still decide to self-manager, make sure you use the adequate contracts to protect you. Oh, and don't forget landlord inurance. Also, make sure to get references and do a background check of the tenant

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.