All Topics / Help Needed! / Contract for Sale – ACT

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Profile photo of gammonbrusgammonbrus
    @gammonbrus

Hi everyone.

I have never sold a property before, and looking to sell a property very shortly.

The law in ACT stipulates that I must create a contract for sale prior to even advertising, so now looking for a way to create this.

The dilemma is that I want to sell for a certain price, if it goes below this price I will not sell.

Therefore I’m not 100% certain I will sell and as a result I want to make a contract for sale as CHEAPLY as possible.

Is there templates which I can use myself, or is it something that must at all times be done by a solicitor.

Thank you again

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi Joe

Feel free to shoot me an email and I can introduce you as a client to a local conveyancer which should entitle you to a discount. I’m not sure how much they charge for selling but for purchasing they’re quite reasonable.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of gammonbrusgammonbrus
    @gammonbrus

Im really looking to see if this can be done with a template, or does it require a solicitor – no option?

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

You could draw up the contract yourself on the back on an envelope. As long as it contains the 3 ps. Property, Price, Parties. You will also need statutory required searches. If you don't include the right searches then although you may have a binding contract you will have one in which the vendor can pull out at any time before settlement.

Also consider, what if you get something wrong in the contract? could cost you thousands to fix.

It will probably cost a few hundred to prepare a proper strong contract. Why take the risk of doing it youself.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

@gammonbrus

Lol the back of an envelope.

@gammonbrus

Update.

Spoke to someone today who works at ACT law society, and she put me in contact with someone. It turns out they sell kits, which it basically a do it yourself arrangement.

Just thought i’d share for anyone else who may be interested.

Profile photo of VictoriaCVictoriaC
    @victoriac

Hi Joe,
    Although there are kits, I wouldnt risk doing it yourself. Using a solicitor ensures its done correctly, so many potential errors you could make that could cost you a bomb. The solicitor that I use will only charge for a sales contract once, ie. if you dont end up selling this time you can use the same contract next time you go on the market  (with a few minor changes made by the same solicitor). The only part you have to pay for twice are the searches if they have expired by then (eg: in Sydney the 149certificate is only valid for 6 mths), but you will have to pay the same price for these if you do the contract yourself anyway. You should ask your local solicitor if they will do this for you.

Cheers,
    Victoria

@gammonbrus

Hi Victoria,

whats the price on your guy for doing a contract for sale draw up?

Profile photo of markh3084markh3084
    Participant
    @markh3084

Hello Joandchels,

I am interested in why you are trying to do this yourself and not use a solicitor? Are you also going to market it yourself or use an agent?  I have recently purchased in ACT and, being from out of state, I was surprised by the detail in the contract and vendors statement (It included the contract, all searches, EER reports, termite reports, building reports etc etc). Basically the amount of detail and transparency made me very comfortable buying interstate (as an IP). If you were to do this out of a kit, you might lose some of the appeal and potential buyers. I'd say use a solicitor, especially with the complexities invlolved in a lease hold property.

regards

Mark

Participant
    @terryw

in NSW you could buy the standard contract for $19 or so.

But then what? Do you know what special conditions needed? What searches to include? Expiry dates of searches. What boxes to tick, how to treat GST, land tax etc.

eg. you may include one document which is over 6 months in age and this could mean the contract is invalid. That could mean the purchaser could sign and exchange and then later decide to pull out using this as an out.

Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of dmacpusserdmacpusser
    Participant
    @dmacpusser

Joe, you also need to consider that in the ACT you are required to provide building and pest inspection reports. Hence why Mark found it so easy to buy from interstate as these are not required in NSW. Once a sale goes through, you entitled to have these report costs added to the cost of the sale and all of this needs to be wrapped up in your contract.

There are also alot of adjustments for Council fees etc that need to be determined. For example if you have paid 12 months rates and now wish to sell 187 days in the rate period, you would be entitled to have the vendor pay you for the remainder of the rates period that you have already paid to council, Also consider water fees etc.

Often the agent handling the sale will provide the CoS, which will be fairly standard from REIACT and then you include special terms and conditions.

The use of a solicitor as part of your team makes sense and should be no more than about $1000 or less. Selling is a lot quicker and eaier than buying so often the fees are lower. There are conveyencors  (spelling lol) that will charge about $400 + disbursements for a simple sale.

If this is an investment property and not a PPOR then the solicitor fees will also be added to the base cost price of your investment reducing the amount of CGT. If it is a PPOR then it is simply a cost of the sale.

You would have a set amount minimum in your head for what you want to sell. Add $1000 to cover the solicitor cost and get it done professionally and remove the stress.

Dean

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Totally agree with the rest – buying/selling property involves large sums of cash. Doing things cheap can end up being costly.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of keikokeiko
    Participant
    @keiko

Doing up a contract is basic. you could stop into a local agent and ask for a copy of a sales contract but most times they will try get you to sell with them.
    Next option would be downloading one of the net for maybe $20
    I get mine from REIQ, I'm not sure if the same company does them where you are.
    To sell your property I would recomend finding a good agent but if there is none around then yea I would sell it yourself, by using an agent they could possibaly get you a better price than what you could achieve by doing it yourself.

Participant
    @terryw
    keiko wrote:
    Doing up a contract is basic. you could stop into a local agent and ask for a copy of a sales contract but most times they will try get you to sell with them.
    To sell your property I would recomend finding a good agent but if there is none around then yea I would sell it yourself, by using an agent they could possibaly get you a better price than what you could achieve by doing it yourself.

Do you really do this?

Email Me

Profile photo of VictoriaCVictoriaC
    @victoriac

Hi Joe,
    My solicitor charges $1500 including the searches, but that’s Sydney CBD prices, ACT may be a bit cheaper. Money well spent to ensure your deal doesn’t fall over.

Profile photo of keikokeiko
    Participant
    @keiko
    Terryw wrote:
    keiko wrote:

Do you really do this?

Yes, it is just a bit of paper work.
    If I'm understanding the posters post correctly, I'm thinking they just want the sales contract, and yes I will complete this and sell a property or lease a property and then drop the signed contract to my solicitor to finalise everything if it is a sale, although it's not that hard to actually do the solicitors part as well but I let the solicitor do it incase there is any problems along the way.
    I don't sell and lease everything, I pick different properties to sell or lease, if I think I can do a better job then I will do it but in some cases I think an agent will do a better job and therefore I let an agent do the job. It all depends on the property, I have a range of different types.

Participant
    @terryw

If you know a lot about property law you could draft your own contracts. But what if you leave something important out and then go to your solicitor after the purchaser has signed – you will be locked into a costly mistake maybe. eg. You come to the settlement period and the purchaser says they don't want to proceed now and is rescinding. You having relied on the money from this sale coming through to settle on the next one and then that falls over too.

Email Me

@gammonbrus

thanks keiko, you understood exactly what I am asking rather than trying to convince me or not trying to do it. I have checked out the contract on reiq, looks great. The one for ACT will be similar, will pick up a kit over the next few days.

Participant
    @terryw

Joe, what about my comments? Seems you don't understand.

Email Me

Profile photo of landt64landt64
    Participant
    @landt64

Hi Joe,
    I’m no expert however you seem to be ignoring the advice from contributors on this site who do have a lot of experience in setting things up correctly to ensure that you don’t get burned. You seem to want to do this on the cheap instead of making sure that you have covered everything that could possibly go wrong.
    If I was you I’d be re-thinking doing this yourself.
    Landt.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.