All Topics / Help Needed! / Turning PPOR to IP..negative or positive geared?

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Profile photo of hornbillhornbill
    @hornbill

Hi guys,

Since our baby arrived 9 months ago, we feel the need to move to a bigger place from our current 2 bedroom PPOR apartment. My property is within the zone 1 train line in Melbourne inner south east (approx. 15 km’s to CBD), so it’s good for rental. We need to move to at least a 3 bedroom property somewhere…

Selling is probably not a good idea now as market is pretty flat..

Some figures:

Potential rental : Approx $420/week
    Agent fees etc (mthly) : $91 (based on last appraisal by an agent) ** I excluded the $420 letting fee as I think this is a one-time fee.
    Their ongoing fee is 4%
    Body Corporate fee : $420/quarter ($1680/year)
    Council rates : $576.70/year
    Current mortgage interest : Approx $940/mth
    Estimated property value : Approx $450K
    Loan balance : Approx. $180K

I’m new to property investment, especially on the negative/positive gearing topic.

So,

1) Based on the above figures, is my property a negative or positive geared property, if I were to lease it out?

2) If positive geared, what are the recommended strategy to reduce my tax liability (if any)?

3) Given the strategic location, is it wise to keep the property as an IP or should I just consider selling it off, save the money in the bank or invest in some overseas property etc?

4) Is what I’m trying to do here normal out there? Turn PPOR to IP, then rent elsewhere, use rental income to offset rented property rental etc?

Sorry guys this post is a bit long. I just need a second opinion on what I’m trying to do.

Cheers.

Profile photo of mattstamattsta
    Participant
    @mattsta

I had a quick look at your numbers, and I suppose you made a mistake when you wrote Body Corporate fee : $420/wk? Perhaps you meant 420 per quarter?

For positive cash flow property investing, you need to make sure that your weekly rental income is higher that weekly expenses. It's really as simple as that

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m
    hornbill wrote:
    1) Based on the above figures, is my property a negative or positive geared property, if I were to lease it out?

You just need to add up the costs per week. If the rent is higher than the costs – it's positive.

hornbill wrote:
    2) If positive geared, what are the recommended strategy to reduce my tax liability (if any)?

There's nothing wrong with making money on an investment :) Have you got a depreciation schedule? That will help.

hornbill wrote:
    3) Given the strategic location, is it wise to keep the property as an IP or should I just consider selling it off, save the money in the bank or invest in some overseas property etc?

I'm not going to touch that one. You need to do your own due diligence and look at the opportunity cost of investing the money somewhere else.

hornbill wrote:
    4) Is what I'm trying to do here normal out there? Turn PPOR to IP, then rent elsewhere, use rental income to offset rented property rental etc? Sorry guys this post is a bit long. I just need a second opinion on what I'm trying to do. Cheers.

I have a lot of clients who turn their PPOR into an IP – but it's usually to buy a new PPOR. I assumed you paid a fair bit of your loan to bring it down to $180k? That's the issue I see here – you're only able to claim deductions on a $180k loan.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Based on your figures the property is likely to be returning positive income before taking into account depreciation and other non cash expenses. These are depreciation of building, depreciation of fittings, borrowing costs, travel etc.

I would suggest you get a depreciation schedule done.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of hornbillhornbill
    @hornbill
    mattsta wrote:
    I had a quick look at your numbers, and I suppose you made a mistake when you wrote Body Corporate fee : $420/wk? Perhaps you meant 420 per quarter?

For positive cash flow property investing, you need to make sure that your weekly rental income is higher that weekly expenses. It's really as simple as that

You’re right…it should be $420/quarter for the body corp fee. Thanks.

@hornbill

Thanks guys. I will look into the depreciation schedule. May I know who can help me with that? Tax accountant?

Initially I was thinking of converting the property title from joint ownership (me and my wife) into just my name, as she is a stay home mom and not generating income. I had the impression that I might be able to turn the property into negative gearing category – which obviously something I need to put on paper first and taking all considerations such as depreciation schedule etc.

Jamie,
    Yes, I did paid a fair bit to reduce the loan to under $200K when we bought it. Actually I only took a loan of $190K. My idea was to avoid borrowing too much back then, and to reduce the interest rates. Perhaps what I should have done is instead to take a bigger loan and use an offset account – silly me!

I take it that I can’t ‘increase’ my loan amount to move the property into a negative gear category? Perhaps a silly question..:-)

So, if after I worked out the numbers and the property is a positive gear one, does that mean it’s pointless for me to change the property title to just my name?

I guess I might have to put up with the investment income tax…:-(

Participant
    @terryw

See a quantity surveyor for a depreciation schedule.

Changing names on title is not a simple thing. I would result in stamp duty in nsw, but if your property is in VIC you may be in luck. You will need to see a solicitor to do the conveyancing, you will have to buy out your spouse and borrow to do so the loan on this should be deductible interest. This will free up cash and increase your deductible debt. You can take the opportunity to redo your loans to be more effective too.

Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek
    hornbill wrote:
    … Selling is probably not a good idea now as market is pretty flat.. 

Buying and selling in the same market is not such a bad thing.

Sure you'll probably end up selling for less than you wanted but if you do your research and due diligence the person selling the property you move into will probably be doing the same thing.

When the whole market moves in either direction your dollars will still buy you a similar property.

To give you an example of what I mean we paid $49K for a 3 bedroom house in the Perth suburb of Warwick (nothing special about the suburb – just your typical suburb) in 1986 and sold it for $143K in 1998. People have commented on tripling (approx) of profit we made – but if we turned around and used the money to buy another house without additional borrowings we would have ended up with a similar house.

Sure the situation can be accelerated through some form of renovation etc but without this you are buying and selling same same.

Is your intent to add additional borrowings to your existing loan to help the step up in property type, move slightly further out of Melbourne or ???????????????? – the answers to these questions will also determine what the right course of action for you is.

@hornbill

Hi Derek, i guess you’re right. An agent once told me that if I upgrade to bigger property, I actually ‘capitalise more’ than I lose. He was saying 10% drop in bigger properties worth more dollars compared to the smaller ones.

I guess he made sense, although at the time I was thinking in my head he probably tries to encourage me to sell my apartment..;-)

I’m only looking to move to bigger property for now. Due to financial commitment, I can’t afford to buy another PPoR and keep current unit as IP, hence my idea of renting.

If possible, I want to hang-on to the apartment as IP for as long as it’s rentable & profitable – to support my rental at the new place. But having said that, I’m open to other ideas still.

Things would probably becomes clearer once I work out the numbers…

Profile photo of gronk007gronk007
    @gronk007

my two cents worth would be to hang on to the IP for as long as possible…

Profile photo of Bradley BeerBradley Beer
    Participant
    @bradley-beer

Hornbill,

If you are looking to rent the property out. A Tax Depreciation Schedule can certainly add some financial benefit to your Tax Return at the End of the Financial Year.

Regarding your query about whom can help, the ATO considers Quantity Surveyor's as having the skills and knowledge to estimate and assign values to the building and it's fittings and fixtures for depreciation purposes.

Depending on the age of the property and length of ownership, if you rent the property out there may be several thousands of dollars worth of taxable deductions within the property that you are entitled to each year.

Bradley Beer
    http://www.bmtqs.com.au

@hornbill

Thanks guys…and happy Easter.

Here’s my plan:

1. Get a quantity surveyor to prepare a depreciation schedule.

2. Meet with rental agent to assess rental potential (and work out all outgoings – management fees etc).

3. Once I have all the numbers, meet-up with a tax agent to determine whether the property is in a positive / negative gear territory.
    a. If property is a positive gear, then:-

a (i). Either convert property to my wife’s name (100% ownership) to reduce tax on profit made as she is unemployed. Note: Not sure if bank will allow this though???

a (ii) Or, allocate say 90% ownership to my wife and I take remaining 10% to reduce tax impact, just so I still have some ownership in the property. Who can help me with this?

a(iii). Once I decide on either a (i) or a(ii), I then convert the loan to interest-only. Note: Not sure if there is any benefit doing this though, as we do not intend to buy another property (as we can’t afford it). Instead, we intend to rent another place and start paying rentals. Or, should I just leave it as principal + interest and simply reduce tax implication by doing either a(i) or a(ii)?

b. If property is in the negative gear region, then:-

b (i). I will convert property from joint tenants to single ownership (100% under my name) for tax purpose.

b(ii). I then convert the loan to interest-only. Perhaps same concern I have as in a(iii).

Do most people usually buy another IP once their current IP reaches the positive gear territory, for tax purpose? As I mentioned above, we don’t plan on doing now simply because of affordability.

We simply need a bigger place to stay in a suburb we want to live in. The only affordable way to achieve that now is renting..maybe down the track if we really like the new suburb we live in, we just sell the IP and buy a house there – but that’s another big consideration and decision.

Not sure if my plan above make sense or not. Look forward to get some expert advice from you experts out there…

Cheers.

@hornbill
    Bradley Beer wrote:

Hornbill,

If you are looking to rent the property out. A Tax Depreciation Schedule can certainly add some financial benefit to your Tax Return at the End of the Financial Year.

Regarding your query about whom can help, the ATO considers Quantity Surveyor's as having the skills and knowledge to estimate and assign values to the building and it's fittings and fixtures for depreciation purposes.

Depending on the age of the property and length of ownership, if you rent the property out there may be several thousands of dollars worth of taxable deductions within the property that you are entitled to each year.

Bradley Beer

Thanks Brad. The property is relatively new, about 2 years and 4 months old since we first moved in. I’m not sure how the whole depreciation schedule works though. Will it also take into consideration any building defects (major or minor) within the individual unit as well as common property areas??

Profile photo of FreckleFreckle
    Blocked
    @freckle

Back of knapkin calc.

Currently the property would gross around $140/wk … $7200/yr. Doesn’t appear to be any chance of capital gain and possibly a loss in value over coming years.

If you sold you would net around $200k. Invested at current fixed rates of 6% that would put $12k/yr in your pocket.

A $450k property that returns around 4.8%pa and no CG is a loss making situation. You need to be getting around 8%pa CG every year just for your dollars to hold their value after entry/hold/exit/taxes/inflation.

Net rental return of $140/wk on net invested monies of $270k is only 2.7%

Seems pretty simple to me. It’s a dog of an investment option. My gut feeling is that in 5 years you would have less dollers than you have now and they would have less spending power through inflation.

The Freckle

@hornbill

Thanks Freckle. You’re probably right. Doesn’t appear to be any chance of CG anytime soon. Main reason why i want to hang on to the property for now is because we have some building defects and legal issue going in with the builder at the moment. If i sell now, we may not get a fair market value for it, due to the building issues.

Assuming market stays flat until we settle the legal issue and if we win (which seem like a high chance at the moment), at least i have the option to put it on the market and get get as close to market value as possible, once the issues resolved. I know these are assumptions and things can go either way…

Other option is sell now, take the money and invest elsewhere. I can park some 65K @ around 8% p.a return tax free overseas – and it’s legal. Balance 135K cash maybe invest in some asian booming property market, which is looking more promising right now. We then move to rent somewhere and use the overseas investment income/CG to cushion the inflationary effect and our rent rises..

Just my hyphotetical, high level options on the table right now…what do you guys think?

Participant
    @terryw

Invest is myanmar real estate! Watch it take off.

Email Me

Profile photo of Bradley BeerBradley Beer
    Participant
    @bradley-beer

Hi Hornbill,

From what you have told me about your property, there will definitely be some great deductions available for depreciation. So as long as your property is producing income and you have some income to offset, these deductions will increase your cash-flow each financial year.

If you want further insight please do not hesitate to ask the question.

Bradley Beer,

Profile photo of xdrewxdrew
    Participant
    @xdrew

hornbill,

There are lots of parts to say about your current invest.

First .. you do realise you have 6 years to be away from your PPOR and still claim it as a PPOR and receive all the capital gains from that? At the end of that 6 years you can either return to the property or sell it. Thats gotta be worth a cracker to you .. you can have someone paying half your PPOR bill for you and you reduce your exposure to the debt by half or more ! FULL CGT exemption .. but no depreciation allowances or interest deductions. Sucks on one account  .. but profit on the other.

Transferring between person to company .. or family member to family member is not a great way to save on tax unless you started with that as the main reason for the deal. Unless you are dealing with larger folios or multiple properties .. bundling into separate names attracts transfer duties and is an expensive way to solve an issue that should have been straightened out in the first place. In other words .. if you are going to run a large company structure or a small one to minimise on tax .. start that way from the outset. Re-arranging assets once title has been exchanged can be a ludicrously expensive procudure to minimise any tax you receive. And on that .. there is always the chance the tax department will change the rules on you. Think trusts .. as they used to be.

Presented with a deal where you have a bad egg (because you are dealing with building defects and legal issues) to take to the market, you'll reduce your chance of effecting the best sale price. Wait until all builders defects and warranty issues are off the table to assure potential purchasers of a solid deal. I make money purchasing bad eggs, and waiting for that .. so I know what I'm on about. The difference between a bad egg and a solid deal can be up to 20% of final sale price .. so its worth that security.

By the way .. you can still run better deals in the current market. Mashing together a couple of properties and splitting a block into strata title .. i revalued it and borrowed against a couple of the properties without need to sell. Gearing with OPM on the rest of the deal .. i am getting 22.7% Gross on the deal .. coupling to 18.3% net after expenses. Its all about gearing and how you work the deals .. NOT how the deal exists on the market.

As far as working in overseas or interstate markets .. it requires you to be on top of the legal requirements .. obligations and permissions 100% of the time. Read a couple of posts in the overseas section to recognise what sort of requirements you need to be fully aware of the dangers posed by investing overseas. Become your area expert .. or .. roll the dice.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

John

Hate to say no lender will lend your wife a cracker if she is unemployed especially since the intro of NCPP.

If you decide to sell the property to your wife there is nothing to stop her being on the Title and both of you being co-borrowers or alternatively you buying a percentage of the property from and going from Joint Tenants to Tenants in Common.

Need to work the numbers to see whether it is a viable option.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

@hornbill
    Qlds007 wrote:
    John

Hate to say no lender will lend your wife a cracker if she is unemployed especially since the intro of NCPP.

If you decide to sell the property to your wife there is nothing to stop her being on the Title and both of you being co-borrowers or alternatively you buying a percentage of the property from and going from Joint Tenants to Tenants in Common.

Need to work the numbers to see whether it is a viable option.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard,

What’s NCPP? What’s the main difference between joint tenants and tenants in common? Just met a rental agent today.

Will get some numbers off him, before looking at depreciation schedule, title change etc.

Btw, the agent suggested I do a depreciation schedule every year. Is this normal? That’s like $600 / year expense is it?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.