All Topics / Help Needed! / how to invest? capital gain or high rent return

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Profile photo of kennychlorinekennychlorine
    @kennychlorine

Hi everyone,

I am new, no experience on investment .

I have a house in western suburb vic and I have $600 k cash can spend. 

Low-doc. only can borrow 60%. running own business. need to travel TAS and VIC always

Some of my friend tell me now is the time to buy house.

I am considering to start my first investment. I got 2 plans.

Plan1: buy a hosue in Glenwavery Vic, I may get a better capital gain. 

Plan2: buy 2 house in Sandy bay TAS which next to each other, and I can get a high rent return but low capital gain? (around 8% rent return) and in the future, I can knock down both house together and build more unit or townhouse.

could you give me some opinion. which one should i choose or better buy it later because the house price is dropping since last yr

I am not good and have no experience on investment.

Many thanks

Profile photo of Aaron_CAaron_C
    Participant
    @aaron_c

You can actually get up to 85% with a lo-doc loan, you are not limited to just 80%.

Profile photo of Ody1Ody1
    @ody1

Hi Ya,

Firstly, don't purchase a house because you'd like to live there.  Big mistake as it is the wrong basis for a decision.

Secondly, only ever purchase a house when the numbers tell you to.  There are any number of good applications available that will work the numbers for you ranging from Excel spreadsheets to full applications that work out all of the pros and cons.

Thirdly, with $600K to spend, do not go out and purchase a house.  With that sort of money you have enough capital to purchase 4 houses valued at $500K and have change (that allows for a 20% deposit which will give the banks some comfort and cash to cover purchase costs).  Why purchase 4 and go into debit when you could purchase without debit?  Simple.  For ease of comparison and calculation let's assume a 5% capital gain average.  If you purchase one house valued at $600K you will have one property valued at $600K and your equity will increase by $30K in the first year.  While that is nice, it is just $30K.  However, if you purchase 4 houses valued at $500K, you will have $2 million worth of property increasing your equity by $100K in your first year.  That $100K which will be enough to purchase an additional house house in your send year and every subsequent year thereafter.

So, if you purchase 1 house valued at $600K, at the end of the second year you will have $600K worth of property earning you capital gain.  But if you buy 4 now, at the end of your second year you will have $2.5 million (minimum) earning you capital gain.

Having said that, I'd suggest you purchase houses on 10% deposit, not 20% however, that will mean you will (may) have to pay mortgage insurance.  Why would you do that?  Simply.  Mortgage insurance may cost you up to $10K per house.  So what?  By only making a 10% deposit, you increase your purchase opportunity by 100%.  That means that in the example above, instead of having 4 houses earning you capital gain, you now have 8.  In other words, for an increase in cost of just $80K you increase the value of your your property portfolio by an additional $2 million (it's now $4 million not $2 million) earning you $400K capital gain per annum not $30K.  With an additional $400k per annum in the first year that is enough capital to purchase an additional 3 or 4 houses in the second year meaning your portfolio is now valued somewhere between $12 and $13 million earning you capital gain etc, etc, etc..  You can do the sums for yourself.  You could even retire and live off the capital increase by line of credit.

No wonder books titled "from 0 to 130 Houses in 3.5 years" can be written.

My own example, and I do not have anywhere near 130 houses – yet.  During 2010 I had $73K to 'spend'.  That $73K was a line of credit on my current dwelling, on which I still owe near $200K.   Early December I signed a contract to purchase a property in a coal mining town in Queensland for $468K.  I put down a 10% deposit.  Fortunately for me my bank contact used the mortgage insurance already paid on my dwelling to cover the Qld purchase.  The house cost me all up $485K after expenses.  When I signed the contract it was still being built.  I took possession of it 30 June 2011 and had tenants move in 13 July on a 12 month lease at $950 per week.  That is a little over 10.5% rental return and i've been advised by my managing agent it could go to a minimum $1300 per week (nearly 14.5%) if the current tenant breaks their lease and the property goes back on the market!  So don't be excited by 8.5% rental return.  Do your research first.  By September 2011 I was advised i could put the property on the market for sale at between $560K and $580K. Had I waited for a 20% deposit, I still would be without an investment property, I would be approximately $100K worse off and I wouldn't now be considering having my second investment by the end of this year.  So far I still haven't seen the property.  I live in Perth. (I have seen photos). By the way, quess who won't be selling!

Bite the bullet.  Do it.  Listen to the advice Steve (and others) provides.  It's good advice.

Why purchase where you get either rent or capital?  Go where you can get both!

Cheers.

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

Hi, some great advice above.
    Just to add.
    I would not ber buying in a place that had 8% yield and no growth. 8% will not be cash flow positive and with no growth you will be in a worse position in 5 years time.

Cash flow is nice but you must have CG in order to get ahead (at least keeping with inflation). Of course some people buy where there is MASSIVE cash flow and this is good for them but they usually have other properties with CG to balance their portfolio.

Can you please clarify $600K CASH. Low doc?? Do you mean they'll lend you $600K or you have cash sitting in the bank? And they'll lend you 60% of what you want to purchase? How much will they lend you?
    Also you don't state your income.  That makes a difference to what you buy. Can you afford to pay money out each week? How much?

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

WIthout Capital growth you are not going to make any money in the long run.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of PaulliePaullie
    @paullie

Kenny. Personally i have a low risk profile. I wouldny buy in a mining town and i certainly wouldnt be leveraging at 80% plus. Bottom line is do what makes you feel comfortable. I dont like people spruiking high leverage borrowing and high risk investments just because the numbers add up now. Mining towns can and will eventually be ghost towns. Y

Profile photo of kennychlorinekennychlorine
    @kennychlorine

hi Catalyst ,

i have $600k cash sitting in the bank. and my broken said that I can borrow up to 60% (more easy) to buy a house. 

I can afford to pay money out $10 000 – 15 000 per week.

I was thinking the price of the house was dropping since last yr. if I buy a house to get capital gain now, may be not a good time.

But If I buy house to get rent return, at least I can get 8% every year. and the house in sandy bay grow very slowly. but the rent is high. if 1 house got $600- 800 a week, when i get 5  or more this kind of house in the future, I can get $3000- $4000 every week.

I have no investment experience, what I think is very simple and may not a good investment thinking.

that's why i would like to get more people advise and do some research before I start my investment.

thanks everyone

Participant
    @terryw

With no capital growth you are probably better to keep your money in the bank!

If you invest in a cashflow property returning 8% then have you worked out what you will get after expenses. You must factor in high costs for repairs too.

Of course with leverage things may work out better and there could be some capital growth.

And, if you have that much cash sitting in the bank you need to get some good legal advice as well.

Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

@kennychlorine

glen wavery vic house around 700k -800k , rent only $450 /week

Sandy bay TAS house around 500k – 600k , rent around $650 -800 per week.

this is for glenwavery data get from web site.

YearMedian House PriceHouse Price % Change (YoY)Median Unit Price Unit Price % Change (YoY)
    2003$392,00012.0%$331,0006.4%
    2004$408,0004.1%$321,000-3.0%
    2005$425,0004.2%$350,0009.0%
    2006$455,0007.1%$379,2508.4%
    2007$585,50028.7%$417,00010.0%
    2008$611,0004.4%$421,0001.0%
    2009$680,00011.3%$465,00010.5%
    2010$750,00010.3%$485,0004.3%
    2011$726,500-3.1%$485,0000.0%

and this for sandy bay

YearMedian House PriceHouse Price % Change (YoY)Median Unit Price Unit Price % Change (YoY)
    2003$412,50037.5%$240,37555.1%
    2004$455,00010.3%$247,5003.0%
    2005$490,0007.7%$276,50011.7%
    2006$560,00014.3%$306,00010.7%
    2007$580,0003.6%$345,00012.7%
    2008$590,0001.7%$332,000-3.8%
    2009$592,5000.4%$378,00013.9%
    2010$667,50012.7%$372,000-1.6%
    2011$640,000-4.1%$377,5001.5%

sandy bay grow slowly. but get better rent return .

is that still better buy in vic  or better buy in TAS.

thanks a lot

Participant
    @terryw

Probably VIC if you want to make money.

Email Me

@kennychlorine

i understand. thanks everyone. I will buy in vic

Participant
    @terryw

How can you understand that? it is just my opinion.

You must do some indepth research, thinking and planning. And in the end it will depend on the property too.

Email Me

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

You can afford to pay out $10,000- $15,000 a week?   So you have $520,000- $780,000 a year spare money?  Want a wife??

Profile photo of JT7JT7
    @jt7

Hi Kennychlorine,

What’s the hurry to spend $600K!?!?

The market’s aren’t going anywhere and you sound like you could do with some time to educate yourself.

I’m not convinced from an economic perspective Tasmania is the best place to put $600k.

You’ve received some really valuable advice on this thread. There are many many considerations to contemplate before choosing an area to invest in.

Personally I don’t agree with one view expressed on ‘mining towns’ but that’s investing. I have been investing in regional hubs that are heavily influenced by mining but also diversified and have been enjoying both CF and CG. But, my research gives me the confidence to put money in these towns and I think that maybe confidence might be what you are lacking. Confidence comes with knowledge.

Why not get both CF and CG?

It may not be rocket science but it does take some effort. Don’t rely on others to tell you where to invest, research and put the time in yourself and invest with confidence.

Hope this helps a bit mate.

Jack

Profile photo of xdrewxdrew
    Participant
    @xdrew

There are more than one way to get to a million. Starting with 600k .. a great start.

The answer comes to what else you bring to the party. Cash .. nice .. but leverage requires income. Assets? can bring those?

Bank looks  at the three issues and makes their decisions on those.

ASSET
    INCOME (INC RENT)
    LIABILITIES AND EXPENSES (INC CREDIT CARDS)

If you are an accountant .. you are probably more than familiar with these three item sets. So the broader answer to where to invest should be .. do you have a balanced portfolio of all three to go forward?

Some people find themselves committed to the house as a debt pit. Thats ok .. it'll return eventually .. but in the meantime you may have 10-15 years to wait. Thats part of your life .. like it or not.

The big mistake is assuming that a current high demand area remains a continuous demand area. That having a large outlay and large expense sheet .. actually produces a better return. That investing a large sum on a certain expensive site will lead to better returns.

Value lies in recognising potential in a given area for something its not yet established as. Transformation for profit only works when the expense vs outcome is worth the effort.

The other thing to remember is that a good property investment should never be treated as a passive concern. If its a passive concern .. you are either neglecting the property or not utilising it to its full potential. Both of which restrict your ability to produce a better result in the longer term.

If you have the ability to borrow well using the 600k as a basic deposit .. in these troubled times .. dont borrow to your limit. Leave both a safety margin in your borrowing and a buffer to your possible expenses. Where this amount lies depends on your expertise with property rather than a genuine figure.

Profile photo of MosquiMosqui
    Participant
    @mosqui

I understand the idea of not to invest in mining towns if you have cash, but if you are going to get a mortgage I think it’s a good way to have a good cash flow and save money for the next investment, so then you can also buy some properties for CG. Everyone have a different situation here, and we have to adapt to our own situation.
    Good post.

My View

Mosqui

Profile photo of xdrewxdrew
    Participant
    @xdrew

Bringing what i just said back to your actual concerns.

Since you are on a low doc situation .. your long term issue remains LACK OF ASSESSABLE INCOME. Thats going to be a problem with ongoing lending unless you are coming back with a reasonable rental income in the near future.

So your immediate adjustment will be a requirement for a more solid cashflow.

Property in Tasmania is returning 8%? WONDERFUL ! Since you can currently borrow at anything up to 2% less you have a situation where the property can return a positive result and extra cashflow within a limited period of time.

The other thing to consider will be the lifestyle choice. If you find yourself going to TAS regularly anyway, you can accomodate the transit to TAS as a partial tax deduction as transit expenses for your business venture.

The correct thing to do with a low capital growth high return property is purchase it and immediately start on loan reduction over and above the tax deductible interest amount. Graduating the property to a largely debt free asset and a reasonable income return. It means you can use it for a bricks and mortar asset to lend against (that fits neatly into the ASSET column of my previous example) an ongoing and regular income from your property (that ticks the INCOME column) and a bit of expense to keep the place running ( LIABILITY  but hey .. you get the other two plusses so thats ok). That puts you into a much better position for your second time going around and asking the banks for more money.

Ask the banks and lending institutions which POSTCODE areas they WONT lend against or borrow on. Thats very important. If your area is 8% and they wont lend against it .. your above equation is meaningless as the banks just wont allow you to do it.

Above all – here is the best advice – since you are going in as a new investor, DONT TAKE MY ADVICE AS GOSPEL YET. Explore whats possible. Attend open homes and get an idea of what actually is in demand. Get a broader experience sheet. This isnt to make you an instant expert .. but it will give you market understanding and market knowledge. That will allow you to make better long term decisions. And then you can come back .. read this .. and see how close i was to being right on the issues.

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Just a suggestion…

If you have $600k in cash, there are a lot of suburbs you can buy in without a finance clause.  A means of muscling out the competition.  You could buy a place for cash, and then apply a financier to finance it after the fact, thereby getting most of your cash back.  And repeat.  Might mean you get a low offer accepted in exchange for the absence of a finance clause.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Participant
    @terryw

If buying for cash you need extra special planning, especially from an tax and asset protection angle.

But, good idea. You could get a $100,000 for 80k and later borrow against it at 80% x 100k = 100% finance (in theory).

Email Me

Profile photo of Damien YDamien Y
    @damien-y

Well I am new to the forum but here are my thoughts,

CG is where you make the real money in property investing not positive cash flow properties – rental yield can be important as it can help serviceability as well as being able to manage the loan repayments. But as I said, in the past the majority people who have made hundreds of thousands and millions of dollars has been through capital growth.

Personally, I will never invest in mining towns or places where rental yields are 10%+. I prefer to invest in blue chip properties in established areas where there has been a continued strong demand and is already well services by quality infrastructure and services, accessible transport options and a strong and diverse economy. The yield is likely to be between 4-6% however I do believe it is a safer option and chances of CG are greater.

I believe we may be heading into a period over the next 5-10 years where capital growth will be slower – perhaps only a bit higher than inflation. But I do believe there is potential to make profit in any stage of the cycle and any market around Australia. I believe if you buy a property with development potential down the tract than it is a pretty safe bet that CG will occur over the medium to long term. For example at the moment to give myself the best chance of receiving CG I would look for somewhere within 15km of the Brisbane CBD with future development potential down the track, ie. 2 lot subdivision or LMR zoning for duplex/townhouse, etc.

If you do in fact have 600k in the bank then you can afford to take a few months to educate yourself and outline a strategy. Alternatively it is probably your best option to get in contact with a knowledgeable mortgage broker who understands property investment to help guide you and make sure you set up your finances correctly. You could also engage a buyers agent to work on your behalf to locate a property that suits your criteria – the theory being here that the 10k or so a BA charges will be made back through negotiation on the sale price/ buying a property that you can expect CG to cover this.

I agree your best option would be to buy 3-6 properties with this 600k, but personally I would not go above 80% LVR.

Finally last piece of advise – don’t just do something because someone on here or another forum told you it would be a good idea.

Educate yourself and run your own numbers and due diligence.

Anyways thats my two cents – possible I may be incorrect about some points, this is just my opinion.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.