All Topics / Overseas Deals / Exit Strategies and Thoughts about USA Properties..

Viewing 14 posts - 21 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Profile photo of Ziv Nakajima-MagenZiv Nakajima-Magen
    Participant
    @zmagen

Have to say I like the owner-financed option as an exit strategy – I'm just wondering how much you could add to the price when selling it, if say the area hasn't gone up at all since you bought? If you add less than 12-15% to your total benefit, wouldn't you have been better off selling it, like Eng says, at no or almost no profit, just so you could free it up to make more money elsewhere? And why would a potential home-owner want to get his finance from you (the owner) at 12-15% if he can get it at say 10% from the bank? The only people open to it, I'd say, would be those who are refused standard channel funding – and then, do you really want to get into a financial bed with them as their last option?

A very fine line there…I'd be interested to see how you'd structure those deals and how successful they turn out to be – please keep us posted.

Ziv Nakajima-Magen | Nippon Tradings International (NTI)
    http://www.nippontradings.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Ziv Nakajima-Magen - Partner & Executive Manager, Asia-Pacific @ NTI - Japan Real-Estate Investment Property

Profile photo of jayhinrichsjayhinrichs
    Participant
    @jayhinrichs

Owner financing is a huge part of US real estate sales…

Most lease to own and or really low down marginal Owner carry deals are really just glorified renters… Although the theory is they pay the property tax's and maintain the home… Very few will actually be able to finance with a bank and pay a person off again thats a marginal buyer..

I have done a few over the years to folks that needed short term lease option B/C house they lived in another state has not sold yet,, that kind of thing.

Profile photo of usainvestorusainvestor
    @usainvestor
    zmagen wrote:

Have to say I like the owner-financed option as an exit strategy – I'm just wondering how much you could add to the price when selling it, if say the area hasn't gone up at all since you bought? If you add less than 12-15% to your total benefit, wouldn't you have been better off selling it, like Eng says, at no or almost no profit, just so you could free it up to make more money elsewhere? And why would a potential home-owner want to get his finance from you (the owner) at 12-15% if he can get it at say 10% from the bank? The only people open to it, I'd say, would be those who are refused standard channel funding – and then, do you really want to get into a financial bed with them as their last option?

A very fine line there…I'd be interested to see how you'd structure those deals and how successful they turn out to be – please keep us posted.

I had contemplated that vendor finance strategy could be an exit strategy when the market returns to equilibrium.

The problem that I feel would affect the concept is, as you say, the % over standard interest rates and the type of clients that this would attract – the desperate or bad credit rating or both  jump to mind. Then more so the fact that the US Re market has a history of boom and bust so by following a vendor financing approach will you actually get out in time or will you be stuck in the market with vendor finance deals whilst the market crashes again.

Regards

Profile photo of johnpatjohnpat
    @johnpat

Hi
    Not sure if relevant but have come across a property fund called ROC 11 The first fund closed early 2011.
    The Australian manager is Spire Capital and the USA co behind the fund is Bridge Investment group.They have been around 20 yrs and manage over 14,000 USA rental properties.
    The first fund have averaged 26.8% net since 2009.Shares are $US1,000,000 each ($350,000,000 fund) and only available to wholesale (sophisticated )investors.I was thinking if I could get 2 or 3 other people interested we could have an accountant draw up a trust deed and buy a share.
    They buy directley from USA Gov bodies and aim to sell the buildings on to superfunds , property trusts etc.All info is on their site.
    It is a 6yr committment.
    Interested in any comments.
    cheers John

Profile photo of lawsjslawsjs
    Participant
    @lawsjs

I don’t know how others feel (Jay and Alex would be interesting) but I would not let a Wall St fund anywhere between my money and real estate. My sister (Emma) has been really successful in subprime stuff because she can outperform, out manage and out deal the bigger operators – she is on the ground doing it. The only reason she is successful is because she can do it better and faster. Same goes for my managing agents – the little guys are always better. Jay partners which means he has skin in the game and Alex buys where he knows the market really well. A glossy Wall ST brochure does not fit in my picture of the down and dirty management that is required, there is too much slippage involved with people who play numbers but wouldn’t know the first thing about a tenant application.

Nor I would not want to deal with a US company that had 14,000 rentals. My feelings are you will only be successful in the US if you can do it better and more personally than the next guy.

Staying away from direct investment, have a look at Jay’s system (truewholesalehomes). Big by my standards, but tiny by fund standards.

As I am writing this my attitude is hardening. I would not like to buy something from any company that has a sales force that in reality will know nothing about coal face real estate – thats already one (big) wage that needn’t be paid….

Interesting, but those are my thoughts.. Like you I would be interested in others opinions.

Profile photo of Alex SCAlex SC
    Participant
    @alex-sc
    jayhinrichs wrote:
    Owner financing is a huge part of US real estate sales…

Most lease to own and or really low down marginal Owner carry deals are really just glorified renters… Although the theory is they pay the property tax's and maintain the home… Very few will actually be able to finance with a bank and pay a person off again thats a marginal buyer..

I have done a few over the years to folks that needed short term lease option B/C house they lived in another state has not sold yet,, that kind of thing.

Jay I am thinking long term , 10 -12 – 14 years. Lease option is a scam. I am looking to be different and set the people up for a win win situation.

If I was looking at the note side of things.( Which you know since ,I am working with you on the North east side of Charlotte )How will selling these same homes 5 years from now be accomplished. Looking at renting these properties  now and selling in 5 years. True the nicer newer homes if market does come back with repairs to bring to retail conditions ( again big difference) Logical thinking says it should and could work.

So I am looking at two things the words walk in equity or lease option. Which to me are both false advertisement. Equity in today's market does not exist but a nice word to use for marketing.  What is equity , in today"s market what you pay is what it is worth.  The second part who are we going to sell to in 5 years ( note program ). With the same buyers I am looking at owner financing would be the same back end buyers( higher end rentals ) for the homes with notes on them. The cool part about this is we  can agree to disagree.

In the USA as you know the word lease option is a scam or used for marketing purposes.Hoping to find a stronger tenant.
    With our game plan again I use the word game plan very strongly. The only way to hold the values in the areas would be supported by today's sales. So selling for tomorrows price in today's market. True Owner financing is being the bank , lease option is just that. Lease with option to buy.Again two very different subjects. Cash deals only would work for this type of potential buyer.

Now the amount of people that would actually buy  down the road. I don't see this going to be a big number or percentage. The advantage I  do have is personally knowing most of our tenants and their financial pictures. Being I own the management company ,and am hands on with all our homes.  

We were setting a company  goal of 250 purchases this year. Being we pulled out of Atlanta I would be happy with conservative 100 to 125 home purchases this coming  year ( not counting the 67 package working on currently)Now our first  target audience is going to be the ones who have sub-par credit but good income. Again this is one shot deal to actually buy a house again down the road.

Second Target audience will be the renter who has paid on time for 12 – 24 months with no late payments. This is more of an incentive program again down the road.Reward system for being a good tenant. Again these are just hopeful situations the I am working on.

Participant
    @alex-sc
    lawsjs wrote:
    I don't know how others feel (Jay and Alex would be interesting) but I would not let a Wall St fund anywhere between my money and real estate. My sister (Emma) has been really successful in subprime stuff because she can outperform, out manage and out deal the bigger operators – she is on the ground doing it. The only reason she is successful is because she can do it better and faster. Same goes for my managing agents – the little guys are always better.  Same hold true on the national scale I am a small company who operates in SC and NC .  Now in these markets I am one of the bigger companies .Being hands on and on the ground does. Yesterday was eviction turning into (  helping a tenant from a California slum lord) Today I have several homes we purchased need video's and rehab quotes turned in. So yes I still do alot of this my self.

So being hands on always helps besides I love seeing before and after with homes. The point most miss is pride and Real estate  can and should go together. As with any thing in life.

Jay partners which means he has skin in the game and Alex buys where he knows the market really well. Lawsjs I am also partnering with jay but only very selective homes in Charlotte. I want a few different options my self.I am not sold on the 5 year return or equity when you walk in. I am sold on the hands off for passive investors who don't want the hassle of rentals.

A glossy Wall ST brochure does not fit in my picture of the down and dirty management that is required, there is too much slippage involved with people who play numbers but wouldn't know the first thing about a tenant application. Nor I would not want to deal with a US company that had 14,000 rentals.  Wall street, and Government all both keep their hands out.Years ago I switched to cash only deals.Purchase cash and sell cash.  Still working today , as we look for financing. Lawsjs I think if a company has a great system in place they can do well. 14,000 is just way out of control and don't see that happening here in the states . I am already seeing with 132 homes now that we need to split the office for NC rentals and SC rentals teams.

My feelings are you will only be successful in the US if you can do it better and more personally than the next guy. This is where I am bit arrogant. I do feel we are as good, if not better then most teams around. Most  of the people around me are lazy and looking for a free ride.My close real friends are also in late 30s and business owners. So it says alot about the company you keep. So doing it better , having passion, loving what you do.Will separate you from most people

Staying away from direct investment, have a look at Jay's system (truewholesalehomes). Big by my standards, but tiny by fund standards. As I am writing this my attitude is hardening. Great for the investor  who does not want to be involved but passive and earn income.

I would not like to buy something from any company that has a sales force that in reality will know nothing about coal face real estate – thats already one (big) wage that needn't be paid…. (That is true my sales staff consist of me and our internet guy)By being the sales staff I get to travel the world and meet lots of people. Getting ready for my 12 day trip to Australia. Heading to Sydney and Perth possible Adelaide . The dates all depend on the closing of the 67 homes package here in the states.

Interesting, but those are my thoughts.. Like you I would be interested in others opinions.

Always love to put in my two cents.

Participant
    @alex-sc
    johnpat wrote:
    Hi
    Not sure if relevant but have come across a property fund called ROC 11 The first fund closed early 2011.
    The Australian manager is Spire Capital and the USA co behind the fund is Bridge Investment group.They have been around 20 yrs and manage over 14,000 USA rental properties.
    The first fund have averaged 26.8% net since 2009.Shares are $US1,000,000 each ($350,000,000 fund) and only available to wholesale (sophisticated )investors.I was thinking if I could get 2 or 3 other people interested we could have an accountant draw up a trust deed and buy a share.
    They buy directley from USA Gov bodies and aim to sell the buildings on to superfunds , property trusts etc.All info is on their site.
    It is a 6yr committment.
    Interested in any comments.
    cheers John

wall street here we go again …Did they not help create the first mess…

Profile photo of lawsjslawsjs
    Participant
    @lawsjs

So, as I suspected, you and your team Alex (like I would guess anyone else) are successful because you are different and do it better than the next guy.

I would back you any day over a sharp suit….

Participant
    @alex-sc
    zmagen wrote:

Have to say I like the owner-financed option as an exit strategy – I'm just wondering how much you could add to the price when selling it, if say the area hasn't gone up at all since you bought?  We would be selling on hopefully tomorrow prices. If purchased as investment for say $79k , selling for $129k down the road. If you add less than 12-15% to your total benefit, wouldn't you have been better off selling it, like Eng says, at no or almost no profit, just so you could free it up to make more money elsewhere? And why would a potential home-owner want to get his finance from you (the owner) at 12-15% if he can get it at say 10% from the bank?  Most in the USA can not get financing or they would be buying the homes for them selves. That is why we are looking at the option for a back end what if  exit product.

The only people open to it, I'd say, would be those who are refused standard channel funding – and then, do you really want to get into a financial bed with them as their last option? These are what we call renters in the USA and alot of good people in the mix.

A very fine line there…I'd be interested to see how you'd structure those deals and how successful they turn out to be – please keep us posted.This is not tried and tested we are just working with a lawyer now to come up with this program.Since it is cash buyers only that will be able to do this. Really depends on how much feed back we get from our cash buyers.

Participant
    @alex-sc
    usainvestor wrote:
    zmagen wrote:

I had contemplated that vendor finance strategy could be an exit strategy when the market returns to equilibrium.

The problem that I feel would affect the concept is, as you say, the % over standard interest rates and the type of clients that this would attract – the desperate or bad credit rating or both  jump to mind. Then more so the fact that the US Re market has a history of boom and bust so by following a vendor financing approach will you actually get out in time or will you be stuck in the market with vendor finance deals whilst the market crashes again.

Regards

We all could be caught with cash flow rentals in all markets down the road (  To be honest that is why I am in this game for long term cash flow ) . This is just a potential avenue to explore for future sales.

Again all what ifs……..

Profile photo of Ziv Nakajima-MagenZiv Nakajima-Magen
    Participant
    @zmagen
    lawsjs wrote:
    So, as I suspected, you and your team Alex (like I would guess anyone else) are successful because you are different and do it better than the next guy. I would back you any day over a sharp suit….

Yup, that's the feeling I'm getting from him too  Good on ya, Alex – just goes to show honest, knowledgable communication beats all other sales strategies any day of the week.

Ziv Nakajima-Magen | Nippon Tradings International (NTI)
    http://www.nippontradings.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Ziv Nakajima-Magen - Partner & Executive Manager, Asia-Pacific @ NTI - Japan Real-Estate Investment Property

Profile photo of kylermricekylermrice
    Participant
    @kylermrice

Is it really that bad that that cash flow is the only angle right now.  I will make way more money renting these houses out till i retire than i would if i cash flow them for five and then make a decent amount of money off the sale.  When i got into this game all i wanted was a passive income that paid me like a pay check that i used to get from a job.  A passive or residual income in my opinion is like living off a hedge fund, u won't ever really need to work again if u do it right.

Profile photo of kylermricekylermrice
    Participant
    @kylermrice

My feelings are you will only be successful in the US if you can do it better and more personally than the next guy. This is where I am bit arrogant. I do feel we are as good, if not better then most teams around. Most  of the people around me are lazy and looking for a free ride.My close real friends are also in late 30s and business owners. So it says alot about the company you keep. So doing it better , having passion, loving what you do.Will separate you from most people

There is no reason not to feel arrogant if you no you are the best, that's confidence in what you do as a person and yourself.  I feel the same way as you do Alex! They are lazy and have no pride to push the envelope to provide something better.  The competition is quick to hate and question why you would mess up there hey day of selling people crap.  I was at a Republican Convention last Saturday and the key speaker was Steve Forbes.  Part of what i make makes our country such a great place is FREEDOM.  with freedom comes choice.  Steve said these six words are a key "I'll take my money someplace else"  People will find what is the best deal for there money cause we all want that!

So it says alot about the company you keep. So doing it better , having passion, loving what you do.Will separate you from most people

Amen to that!

Viewing 14 posts - 21 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.