All Topics / Help Needed! / mining towns

Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Profile photo of Josh AthertonJosh Atherton
    @josh-atherton
    keiko wrote:
    Thanks everyone for your posts.

I have a question regarding Moranbah, I have noticed property prices have gone from around $400,000 in early 2011 to $600,000-$700,000 now
    And rents were advertised for about $1200 per week now there is a lot at around $2,000
    Whats happened??? less than 12 months and it jumped a fair chunk, are these figures correct or have I missed something?

Keiko,

your figures are correct, basically demand has outweighed supply in Moranbah on a greater level than most other areas in 2011

Profile photo of Josh AthertonJosh Atherton
    @josh-atherton
    seantg wrote:
    What about towns such as Blackwater and Emerald?

Anybody keen on them? The rents are rising, don't know about the capital appreciation.

All thoughts welcomed.

Sean.

The capital appreciation has been great in these towns, some of the top in the country over the last 10 years and even last year alone. By studying the growth drivers capital growth is a massive part of what your investing in.

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek
    Profile photo of BradWBradW
    Participant
    @bradw
    kateej03 wrote:
    BradW wrote:
    I have just invested in Derby, Western Australia. Inpex was proposed previously as being based there and as everyone knows this is now being piped to Darwin. Growth in Derby is still going strong based on Govt services that are being relocated and also the new 150 million dollar prison being constructed. My tip is if the state govt is moving resources there then others will follow. Government services are leasing 5yr plus 5yr options at an average of $1000/ week and still there is massive demand for houses/units. Derby still has the chatter about the deep water port at Point Torment that was pushed by the premier and knocked back by Inpex but with the issues at James Price Point near Broome is highlighting Point Torment as one of the favored locations after feasibility studies by the state and federal governments. There is also talk of relocating some defence infrastructure to protect the LNG resources in the Browse Basin. Curtin Detention centre is also a major contributor to the town economy and is still full of people seeking asylum. Ther Immigration Minister claims that Curtin will be the first detention centre to go however a 9 million dollar central kitchen has just been completed. Worth a look and for any investor wishing to take the risk in a mining/remote service town. Keep up the talk as it is great to hear everyone's thoughts. Brad

Hi Brad,

I've been looking in Derby for quite a while now and am definately going to buy something there within the next couple of months. Are you based in Perth? If so how did you find the process with the agents there? Is there anyone you would recommend to go through?

Thanks,

Kate

Hi Kate,

I live in the NW of WA and went directly through a property developer. I found a unit which met my criteria and it was under contract then became available due to the sale falling through so i grabbed it. A second identical unit also became available so i grabbed that as well.

The transactions were hassle free. I used a settlement agent from Broome and the strata company is also linked in with the settlement agent so all processes were very smooth.

Good luck

Brad

Profile photo of RickgRickg
    @rickg

Ryder report: January 2012

Resource, mining towns named top residential investment markets
    NSW.

Most under-rated market – Newcastle, New South Wales
    “While it has a lingering image of smoke stacks and hard times, in reality Newcastle is a prosperous city with a pumping economy and a great lifestyle, which presents as a viable affordable alternative to Sydney. Most Newcastle suburbs recorded price growth in 2011 and some delivered double-digit growth.”

New South Wales star performer of 2011- The Hunter Valley
    “The Hunter Valley has provided the strongest economy and most active real estate market in NSW in 2011. Singleton, Cessnock and Denman all delivered solid growth but the individual star was Branxton, which showed strong capital gains, no doubt helped by the construction of the $1.5million Hunter Expressway.”

Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.