All Topics / Help Needed! / mining towns

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Profile photo of keikokeiko
    Participant
    @keiko

1. Which are some good mining towns to invest in? QLD

2. which mining towns are just getting under way and have heaps of capital gains potential?

Profile photo of TRADEEBATRADEEBA
    Participant
    @tradeeba

I am going up to Chinchilla in south west QLD next week for a look around next week. Billions in the pipeline, looks good. Prices have increased dramatically over the past couple of years though you can still buy older homes under 300k. Unlike Gladstone, Chinchilla market is still warming up and the ship hasnt sailed yet. Check it out for yourself.

Profile photo of keikokeiko
    Participant
    @keiko
    TRADEEBA wrote:
    I am going up to Chinchilla in south west QLD next week for a look around next week. Billions in the pipeline, looks good. Prices have increased dramatically over the past couple of years though you can still buy older homes under 300k. Unlike Gladstone, Chinchilla market is still warming up and the ship hasnt sailed yet. Check it out for yourself.

Thanks I will take a look.

Keep me posted with your findings?

Cheers

Profile photo of seantgseantg
    @seantg

What about towns such as Blackwater and Emerald?

Anybody keen on them? The rents are rising, don't know about the capital appreciation.

All thoughts welcomed.

Sean.

Profile photo of Josh AthertonJosh Atherton
    @josh-atherton

Hi All,

Have a look at my blog (link below) it might give you an idea of where to invest for the long and short term. Chinchilla has an alarming ration of construction V operation workforce, be sure to do your research on that. Remember, not all mining is the same, Coal mining is completely different than Coal Seam Gas. Just because billions is being invested in a region doesn’t mean it is a good property investment region.

Look at the workforce ratios, length of employee contracts, accommodation requirements/standards etc. Project Environmental Impact Statements will provide a lot of this for you.

Coal mining is a lot more stable employment than Coal Seam Gas

Profile photo of Von KrummVon Krumm
    Participant
    @von-krumm

Mining towns… $$$
    But be carefull, one person says something, does another…

TRADEEBA wrote:
    Unlike Gladstone, Chinchilla market is still warming up and the ship hasnt sailed yet. 

Wrong!
    Aparently Chinchilla's ship has already sailed… 8 rears ago!
    http://www.hotspotting.com.au/index.php?act=viewArticle&productId=27

Also I've heard great things on Gladstone, what depicts the ship sailing?

Bottom line is search for tips, then do your own research.

Portfolio PI wrote:

Is this  because it lasts longer? Wouldn't it depend on the size of the deposit?

Profile photo of Mick CMick C
    Participant
    @shape

Coal Seam Gas is sort of like the 2nd grade stuff of Coal mining….shorter period and life + less profit and demand ( even though it’s in the media quite a bit)

Regards
    Michael

Mick C | Shape Home Loans
    http://www.shapehomeloans.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Same Banks. Better Rates. Served With a Passion.

Profile photo of MidsomerMidsomer
    @midsomer

I know Mudgee, NSW has a major expansion of coal mining underway. Ulan West Underground, Moolarben Open cut + underground, Wilpingjon (I think its spelt) expanding..

Prices seem to be pretty high to reflect this at the moment IMO, but I know for a fact there is an abundance of expansion, over several decades to come.

Profile photo of TRADEEBATRADEEBA
    Participant
    @tradeeba

Of course there are always those who get in before it hits the news, but if you invested by the theory of once it is news its too late you would struggle to find many good investments.  Sometimes investors are not in a financial position to jump on early announcements, and others may be less risk tollerant and like to forgo some profit by sitting back early on to ensure these announcements come to fruition first.
    There are many regional towns that have been written about but continue to grow year on year. What about South Headland, Karratha, Broken Hill, Dubbo, Gladstone, Townsville etc etc. Sure some towns like South Headland are now too expensive for investors looking for value, but look at places like Broken Hill/ Dubbo that have seen their median house prices rise by 8.6% over the past 5 years. I have read about these towns before, but to say its too late with median house prices around $215 & $250 respectively is a bit rich. Good luck finding any town with potential with houses around $80,000 (as Chinchilla did in 2003).
    Just my thoughts :)

Participant
    @keiko

Thanks everyone for your posts.

I have a question regarding Moranbah, I have noticed property prices have gone from around $400,000 in early 2011 to $600,000-$700,000 now
    And rents were advertised for about $1200 per week now there is a lot at around $2,000
    Whats happened??? less than 12 months and it jumped a fair chunk, are these figures correct or have I missed something?

Profile photo of BradWBradW
    Participant
    @bradw

I have just invested in Derby, Western Australia. Inpex was proposed previously as being based there and as everyone knows this is now being piped to Darwin.

Growth in Derby is still going strong based on Govt services that are being relocated and also the new 150 million dollar prison being constructed. My tip is if the state govt is moving resources there then others will follow.

Government services are leasing 5yr plus 5yr options at an average of $1000/ week and still there is massive demand for houses/units.

Derby still has the chatter about the deep water port at Point Torment that was pushed by the premier and knocked back by Inpex but with the issues at James Price Point near Broome is highlighting Point Torment as one of the favored locations after feasibility studies by the state and federal governments.

There is also talk of relocating some defence infrastructure to protect the LNG resources in the Browse Basin.

Curtin Detention centre is also a major contributor to the town economy and is still full of people seeking asylum. Ther Immigration Minister claims that Curtin will be the first detention centre to go however a 9 million dollar central kitchen has just been completed.

Worth a look and for any investor wishing to take the risk in a mining/remote service town.

Keep up the talk as it is great to hear everyone’s thoughts.

Brad

Profile photo of moxi10moxi10
    Participant
    @moxi10
    Von Krumm wrote:
    Mining towns… $$$

TRADEEBA wrote:
    Unlike Gladstone, Chinchilla market is still warming up and the ship hasnt sailed yet. 

Wrong!

Portfolio PI wrote:

Is this  because it lasts longer? Wouldn't it depend on the size of the deposit?

Coal requires a lot more ongoing manpower and machinery to extract than CSG after the initial development. The mines require geologists, engineers, open cut examiners, drillers,  mechanics, tyre fitters, explosives technicians, environmentalists,  managers, machinery operators, watercarts, fuel trucks, dozers, excavators, road graders excetera to be on site daily, and many of these operate 24/7. A large support industry outside the mine is required to service all the needs of the staff and equipment as well. For instance, if an excavator breaks down at 3 am it will probably affect the operation of at least 3-4 haul trucks, a dozer and a grader. Expensive. The mine requires and receives parts for the excavator, brought to site, even at 3 am Sunday!

Participant
    @keiko
    moxi10 wrote:
    Von Krumm wrote:
    Mining towns… $$$

TRADEEBA wrote:

Wrong!

Portfolio PI wrote:

Coal requires a lot more ongoing manpower and machinery to extract than CSG after the initial development. The mines require geologists, engineers, open cut examiners, drillers,  mechanics, tyre fitters, explosives technicians, environmentalists,  managers, machinery operators, watercarts, fuel trucks, dozers, excavators, road graders excetera to be on site daily, and many of these operate 24/7. A large support industry outside the mine is required to service all the needs of the staff and equipment as well. For instance, if an excavator breaks down at 3 am it will probably affect the operation of at least 3-4 haul trucks, a dozer and a grader. Expensive. The mine requires and receives parts for the excavator, brought to site, even at 3 am Sunday!

Gooday Moxi, what do you think of Chinchilla?

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek
    Profile photo of Von KrummVon Krumm
    Participant
    @von-krumm
    Derek wrote:
    RP Dats's latest Blog on mining activity

A must read!

Fantastic article mate cheers for sharing. With that ammount of money being pumped in I'm not sure doom and gloom talk of the property bubble burst applies in these areas.

mattnz
    Participant
    @mattnz

If you had the right job at a major mining company. you could make a killing. Buy when you know things are going to happen and sell before staff layoffs. No insider trading rules in the property market.

Participant
    @keiko
    mattnz wrote:
    If you had the right job at a major mining company. you could make a killing. Buy when you know things are going to happen and sell before staff layoffs. No insider trading rules in the property market.

Exactly what I have been thinking

Profile photo of kateej03kateej03
    Participant
    @kateej03
    BradW wrote:
    I have just invested in Derby, Western Australia. Inpex was proposed previously as being based there and as everyone knows this is now being piped to Darwin. Growth in Derby is still going strong based on Govt services that are being relocated and also the new 150 million dollar prison being constructed. My tip is if the state govt is moving resources there then others will follow. Government services are leasing 5yr plus 5yr options at an average of $1000/ week and still there is massive demand for houses/units. Derby still has the chatter about the deep water port at Point Torment that was pushed by the premier and knocked back by Inpex but with the issues at James Price Point near Broome is highlighting Point Torment as one of the favored locations after feasibility studies by the state and federal governments. There is also talk of relocating some defence infrastructure to protect the LNG resources in the Browse Basin. Curtin Detention centre is also a major contributor to the town economy and is still full of people seeking asylum. Ther Immigration Minister claims that Curtin will be the first detention centre to go however a 9 million dollar central kitchen has just been completed. Worth a look and for any investor wishing to take the risk in a mining/remote service town. Keep up the talk as it is great to hear everyone's thoughts. Brad

Hi Brad,

I've been looking in Derby for quite a while now and am definately going to buy something there within the next couple of months. Are you based in Perth? If so how did you find the process with the agents there? Is there anyone you would recommend to go through?

Thanks,

Kate

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

[/quote]
    Fantastic article mate cheers for sharing. [/quote]

No worries – enjoy the read.

It is apparent many of us have heard of the mining activity happening but how many people really appreciate the values involved.

Profile photo of EngeloRumoraEngeloRumora
    Participant
    @engelorumora

Blackwater is great. Spent 5 days there. Couldnt get accomodation. Workers sleeping in tents. Supposedly there are coal reserves for the next 20 years. Only problem is the town is too dependant on mining. If something were to happen it would become a ghost town.

EngeloRumora | Ohio Cashflow
    http://ohiocashflow.com/
    Email Me | Phone Me

F@#$ THE REST WORK WITH OHIO CASHFLOW TO INVEST

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.