All Topics / Help Needed! / Cross-securitisation and Equity

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of cabramattcabramatt
    Participant
    @cabramatt

Hi guys!

I am new to this forum and to the concept of property investing. I am confused about the concept of cross-securitisation and equity. I've read that cross-securitisation is not recommended yet I dont understand how you can take equity out of your house and not use cross-securisation?

For eg: I have a property worth $400K as my PPOR. I want to tap into the equity (say $100K) in order to buy my first IP. If I take out the $100K equity in my PPOR doesnt that mean I have cross-securitised the loan because if I cannot meet the repayments on the loan then the bank will sell my PPOR to get their money back?

Please explain the concept/difference between cross-securisation and equity as I am a confused being trying to make my way in the world.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give. I hope the question makes sense!

C

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi C

Firstly welcome to the forum and i hope you enjoy your time with us.

Yes you have hit upon one of my biggest bug bears and a practice carried out by lenders and brokers alike through either laziness or lack of knowledge or care. Lenders do it as it provides them with a lot more security than they need but heh more the merrier.

I wrote an article on on the 10 reasons why investor and home owners alike should not cross collatrealise their loans so email me if you would like a copy. Whilst some of the points might be out of date other needed to be added. 

Ok so how to you get around it.

In your situation this is how i would structure the new loan based on the figures you have provided:

1. Take out an equity loan for $100K secured against your PPOR. This loan will be an interest only loan and used to fund the deposit and acquistion costs for the new investment property.

2. With a separate lender take out a standalone loan for the balance of the purchase price of the new investment property. Assume in your case the purchase price was say $400,000 and you have $20,000 in acqusition costs etc. The investment loan would be for $320,000 or say 80%.

As the investment property increases in value draw upto 80% of the increased valuation and use the funds to pay down the equity loan on your PPOR.

These funds can then either be used for the next IP or the loan cancelled.

In an ideal world you would borrow 100% + costs of the IP purchase price secured against the security of the IP solely however in the current finance climate this is not possible so what you need your mortgage broker to do is come up with a solution then gets you as close as can be.

Whilst normally anything over 80% incurs the payment of a LMI premium remember this is not a bad thing and it is an opportunity cost of doing business. If the payment of the premium reduces the exposure or loan secured against your PPOR or if it means you can buy 2 properties instead of one then it is certainly worth considering.

I now i go on about alot on the forum but careful loan structuring is paramount in setting a good investment portfolio and having the ability to grow when you want and not when the Bank tells you can.

Feel free to ask away with any question you might have.

Cheers

Yours in Finance  

As the value o

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of christianbchristianb
    Participant
    @christianb

Great advice Richard. From bitter experience I can concur it's worth the effort to get it right.

Profile photo of cabramattcabramatt
    Participant
    @cabramatt

Thanks for your reply Richard and for the articles. Very inspiring too!!

I'll certainly be considering these factors and will probably have lots more questions to ask once I start the investment journey.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Cabramatt

Good to hear it was helpful.

Feel free to ask away.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Cross securitisation is simply using 2 securities for the one loan. So if there is a default the lender can take possession of either property. It also ties you up and restricts your borrowing ability as outlined by Richard.

There is no reason to cross.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Participant
    @cabramatt

Thanks but I'm about I ask some more dumb questions and confirmation on my ignorance:

So just to confirm point 1 that you made Richard, with the 100K equity only loan securitised against the PPOR, the bank can only take possession of my PPOR if something goes wrong and not my new IP?

What I'm still confused about is if I take the $100K equity because the equity is from my PPOR, isnt that using cross-securitisation? So, whenever you take out equity aren't you in effect cross-securitising because the equity comes from your previous house?  Or does equity have nothing to do with cross-securitising?

Or do you mean that with the initial $100K equity only loan, I have securitised it against my PPOR, BUT once I pay that equity loan down then the securitisation has been released and the banks can no longer repossess my PPOR if something goes wrong?

Or is it cross-securitisation when I borrow the complete $420K with one lender (where$100K is from my equity on the PPOR) to buy the new IP? So if I default then the bank can repossess both my PPOR and IP?

I hope my questions make sense… 

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Cross securitisation is simply using 2 securities for the one loan.

If you take a LOC out on an existing property you have only used 1 security for this loan so it won't be crossed, but there would be 2 loans on the one property security.

However, if you have 2 properties with some equity in them and then you decide to get a big LOC and use these 2 properties as securities then you will have crossed the securities.

When a lender takes a mortgage over a property they have certain rights such as the right to take possession if you do not keep the repayments up. So, having 2 properties securing one loan can mean the lender can take one or both properties to enforce their rights to sell and recover their money.

They may also be able to get at other property, but only if there is a shortfall and they obtain a judgment against you. They then would need further court orders. So they can get at other property, but it is much more lenghty and complicated and they will just sell the security property first.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Participant
    @cabramatt

Thanks Terryw! Becoming clearer…

As you can see I am a novice and property jargon is all new to me but thanks for your time in answering the questions.

May I ask what is a LOC (Line of Credit?) and how does it work? I've read about it in some articles on property but dont really know how it works? Is it just another fancy term for a loan?

Participant
    @qlds007

A line of credit a secured loan flexible loan facility similar to an overdraft which allows you to come and go as you like.

An effective structure for drawing deposits down and using them for your individual IP acqusitions.

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.