All Topics / Overseas Deals / For those with property in the USA – who has or converseley who hasn’t established a lien against the property

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of usainvestorusainvestor
    @usainvestor

Hi All

I am just working through some asset protection strategies and am finding that a large proportion of those who have invested into the US property market have not established a lien against their properties.

I just wonder whether those who haven't realise that they have property which is effectively unencumbered which could mean that the property could be fraudulently sold without any mortgage hurdles.

Regards

Profile photo of kylermricekylermrice
    Participant
    @kylermrice

I’m confused by what you are getting at? A lien is a bad thing and not having any on your property is what u want. If you went through a title company you are insuranced against fraud and old liens.

Profile photo of usainvestorusainvestor
    @usainvestor

Hi Kyle

A lien is not a bad thing when you hold the paper yourself (through entity or whatever)

What having a lien on your property provides :-

An impediment to a fraudulent sale. Property can't be sold unless you discharge the lien.

Dissuade people from suing the LLC as the assets are committed and with a higher order creditor.

It simply safe guards the equity, for which in all likelihood, you have loan commitments in Aust

By not having a lien on the property

The total equity of the property is at risk to any ambulance chasing attorney.

Sales fraud against property is easier as one less step in the sales process.

Reduces the risk of fraudulent loans being raised against uncommitted equity.

This is particularly relevant to Australians(or any other foreigners) buying in the US and having RE agents signing purchase documents on your behalf. I have bought 9 properties and I have not signed one document in relation to setting up an LLC not the purchase of those properties via the LLC's.

The security provided by a lien was illustrated recently when a friend was selling a property and the original RE agent was managing the process. They suddenly couldn't complete the sale because of the lien that needed to be discharged. without a lien, say that the agent suddenly decides he has had enough and wants to retire to the Bahamas, nice little retirement fund all those properties left under his charge.

Regards

Profile photo of Alex SCAlex SC
    Participant
    @alex-sc

To tired to really think but this is not true

When buying in the USA you want to make sure you have a clear title to buy and no liens. Not sure who told you this unless buying from auctions where you could have liens when purchasing .

Once I wake up and get some more coffee in me I will come back in more detail..

Alex

Profile photo of usainvestorusainvestor
    @usainvestor
    Alex SC wrote:
     To tired to really think but this is not true

When buying in the USA you want to make sure you have a clear title to buy and no liens. Not sure who told you this unless buying from auctions where you could have liens when purchasing .

Hi Alex

I am not talking about a lien when I am buying but ones my LLC owns the property.

In this case I have provided money drawn down from an equity loan in Australia which is secured against Australian based property. Thus effectively a cash purchase in the USA.

So you then want to act as the bank and write a mortgage (Deed to secure Debt) over the US property and as I understand it that mortgage then is used to register a lien over the property.

All this change in language

regards

Profile photo of Alex SCAlex SC
    Participant
    @alex-sc

Hi Alex

I am not talking about a lien when I am buying but ones my LLC owns the property.
    In this case I have provided money drawn down from an equity loan in Australia which is secured against Australian based property. Thus effectively a cash purchase in the USA.So you then want to act as the bank and write a mortgage (Deed to secure Debt) over the US property and as I understand it that mortgage then is used to register a lien over the property.

In South Carolina  Correct it is a note and mortgage which will register the lien.  Now In North Carolina it is a Note and deed of trust  which is really the same thing just different wording.

Alex

All this change in language

regards

[/quote]

Profile photo of jayhinrichsjayhinrichs
    Participant
    @jayhinrichs

May I step in here I know what your getting at.

And Alex that is why the Truewholesale model rocks for the Aussies because they not only have equity they hold the Mortgage over the property and it cannot be sold with out them releasing it all the while getting their monthly income with no cash calls or down side risk.

In my lending days of the 80's in San Francisico we had many crooks that would try to manipulate RE transactions through fraudulant transfers and recorded mortgages.  As well as others who would place a poisen pill on the property. IE they would have a relative hold a mortgage over their property in case they got in some big lawsuit and their property was attached. The property could be liquidated by court order but the mortgage would have to be paid. Now there are statutorial time limits. You cannot just put a mortgage on a property 5 days before a judgement comes down to attach it the judge will throw that out.

Also It really takes a criminal mind to think of deeding your free and clear properties out from under you with phony deeds….
    ANd Yes to who ever is reading this its very possible to do. One would just need to steal a notoary stamp or get a not so swift notoary to notorize a deed that was a forgery…Then any individual in the country can walk right down to the recorders office and record said instrument as long as it was filled out right. You have then done what is called "clouded the title"  Then to make maters worse you now have stolen the ownership and now you take it to a lender and do a cash out refi pull out the money and walk. It can happen and I have personally seen it happen in all place the SF bay area, that is why they require fingerprints in CA in the notoray books when you sign any deed that transfirs title. There was a borrower that did this to the tune of 30 million dollars but thats another story.

Now when you buy a property if you do not get title insurance then your on your own. If you found out this had happened to you you would then need to get a ( yes Lawyer) and file a Liz pendance against the property and a suit would run through the court system and of course if this happend it would be prudent to call the cops as well, as this is fraud and theft and some other bad things.

With the liz pendance filed no closing attoreny will close the deal or title co. So no transfer or loans could be made on the property. And at the end of the day and a lot of expense the theif that did this would end up in jail. and the judge would ( quiet your title) and the judge records a deed clearing all claims.

With title insurance if you had this scenario happen they would step up and handle all the legal ramifications payoff what needed to be paid and then go after the culprit very vigerously. Thats why its important to know not who the attorney is or closing company but WHO is WRITING THE TITLE INSURANCE. you want one of the MAJORS.. First AMERICAN, STEWART, THE FIDELITY FAMILY… Not some po dunk company you never heard from.   Any half a brain RE agent can help you with this.

However thats a good point brought up what happens when I buy these free and clear properties how do I protect them.. And in practice if you buy them free and clear you can by all means put any kind or size of mortgage on them as  you wish. This certainly would keep the theif from hitting yours.

At the end of the day most theifs are way to stupid to know the ins and outs of title work and the like.

Buy your real estate get title insurance when you buy it protects you for forgery and fraud. No need to get to hung up on LLC unless you need it to get a checking account. And unless you have millions of dollars worth of properties there is no reason to be worried. worse case they take your 30k rental house from you. No need to spend thousands a year protecting that small asset. A Umbrella policy if you have 500k or more in property is a good Idea thats what we have is a 5 mil umbrella that cost us maybe 1500 a year. And that covers each of our 400 properties like a blanket.

Good subject  have not talked about us Title fraud in a few years. the case I mentioned in The SF Bay AREA was famous and I was in the middle of it. I dealt with all the title underwriters uncovering this fraud. At the end of the day the lenders all got their money but no interest . The Fruadster got 9 years at the Big Q if ya'll know that prision its San Quinten sites right on the SF Bay just North of the Golden Gate. And the title company went out of bizz. The Title cos lobbied CA laws and got a law passed that any documents that transfer title the Notoray has to get finger prints. So if you buy something in CA or Sell and your notoray wants a finger print you will know why, Because I bust this guy and sent him to jail.

Profile photo of lawsjslawsjs
    Participant
    @lawsjs

Thanks Jay, I really appreciated that background. Especially the (what I thought was ludicrous) need for thumb print Notarising. Very grateful to you for sharing that. Invaluable info.

Profile photo of sapphire101sapphire101
    Participant
    @sapphire101

Take heed of Jay's advice!

My last visit to the USA was spent recovering properties stolen by exactly the same type of criminal as Jay talks of.
    Full title insurance,a lien or lis pendens on valuable property you own can be just the thing to deter all nasty types. When you sell, you get your attorney to 'lift' it from the property so as to get clear title.

One other thing to be wary of is to make sure that you register your LLC in the state you are doing business in. If a Delaware company for example you will need to register in Florida to sell property there ( not buy ) but its a good idea to do so anyway. Basically you need to register to do business in any state so they can tax you.

When I say you register it, I mean you personally and not your trusted agent, manager, attorney. We entrusted our manager to do this for one company. He registered our company OK, but as a separate state company. We therefore could not register to do business in that state under our name.

What then transpired is he sold all our properties as the managing member of our company ( with the same name as his) using our signed operating agreement, to another company that he owned.

We had previously filed an affidavit at the county courthouse outlining a change of managing members and stating that this person no longer has any right of decision or to sign off on behalf of our company. It was ignored and the titles were duly transferred into his company.

Things don't work as they should in America – so be careful.

Over the next 5 months using an arbitrator, our attorney, numerous threats of jailtime and $3000 later, we managed to get corrective deeds filed for each property and back on the market for sale. We also lost our first buyer for one of the properties due to this debacle and subsequently sold it for 30% less.

Ian
    http://theblockblog.com
    Free Property Investment Information, Tools & Resources for Investors with a Sense Of Humour.

Profile photo of jayhinrichsjayhinrichs
    Participant
    @jayhinrichs

Ian,

The scenario you describe was an insider job, And it sounds ( of course I do not know all the details) that your operating agreement was flawed at the inception. 

f the transfers of title from your LLC to his took place with a closing attorney or title co. The SOP's are to review the LLC documents and operating agreement which calls out who can sign and transfer, encumber etc for the LLC. If your manager had those rights then the transfer can legally be done from the eyes of a closing company, and any dispute between you the investor and your manager would be a civil action which is what you did to get your properties back, And its just fortunate that he or she did not subsiquently sell them once transfered or encumbered them.  And I suspect there is probably a little more to the story as to why this manager would do this unless he was just setting you up from the incpetion of the deal.

What we typically do with our LLC's is we establish in the operating agreement who can transfer title and can sign for the LLC. In addition we have a caveot that there needs to be an authorization signed by a certain number of the members allowing any transfer then the Managing member for expediance sake can sign for the LLC.  A corporate resolution if you would.

Also as stated above in the US all someone really needs to do is get ahold of a notary stamp and they can forge documents and record them… A Notary in the States is not like one in other coutries, Like I bought property in British Columbia and went to a Notary to sign some documents and they are just like attornies they want to reivew all your supporting documents before they will stamp the doc's. Notary's in the states just check you ID and if match's the name on the doc your good to go. With the exception of CA which requries the thumb print in the Notary's Book. If there is a fraud the cops go to that thumb print,

This is also one of the reasons its near impossible for a foriegner to get a mortgage loan in the US for non owner occuppied properties establishing true ID's and such.

One last thought Ian if you unwound those deals for 3k legal fee's thats pretty amazing I would think most US attornies would have thought that to be a 10 to 20k case.

I am thinking of putting together a little Insider booklet type document for basic due diligence at a nomial price say 50 bucks or something, that would come from a neutral 3rd party it would give the Aussie a basic list of questions to ask their promotor RE agent closing attorney.

My other thought was to put together a Due Diligence service on markets in the US.  And certain cities. I get private e mails all the time from folks asking about this neighborhood and that one in the big cities. I can usually answer those quickly and at least prevent someone from buying a property in a war zone that the nice promoter would like to sell them.

If anyone reads this I would be interested to know if anyone would see any value in this type of service.

Ian I just reread your post when you say you sign affidavits removing this person as managing member and filed with the court house. This would lead me to beleive that this person transfered the title without benefit of title insurance and just prepared the deeds himself and notorized them and recorded them ( which again anyone can do) The country recorder just records whats presented they do not look for validity of the deeds or documents other than to make sure they are filled out correctly from a function standpoint.  If a title company closed this transaction and wrote title insurance and missed the recorded documents IE they were recorded prior to transfer then you have an issue with the title co or closing attorney.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.