All Topics / Help Needed! / Help Needed Please – Investment Topic.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of Matthew_WMatthew_W
    @matthew_w

Hi all,

Just thought I'd introduce myself first. My name is Matthew, and I just turned 23. Long time lurker, first time poster ; and I'm sure there'll be many more posts to come! Reading the amount of posts on here, I'm amazed and stunned at how much people know. Seems like a great community here!

Anyway, the reason for this post is I have just completed a three year property degree at Uni, and now have the opportunity to study Honours. Problem is, I need a topic for my thesis, hence why I thought I'd post on here.

After reading Steve's book, attending a seminar in Adelaide in 2009, and casually browsing the forums time and again to gain more knowledge of investment, I'm still struggling to find a topic/specific area of interest in Property Investing to write about; and I'm hoping people here could take a couple of minutes of their time to maybe post 1 or 2 areas of Property Investment that could be researched and written about.

A couple of examples I have come up with are:

American Market vs. Australian Market – Investment Success or Failure?
    What drives the capital growth of residential property?
    Residential property investment: rental return or capital growth?

I'm leaning towards anything related to residential property investing. It would be greatly appreciated on my behalf if you do contribute ; if not, oh well lol. I'm realise I'm new around here; but I'll continue to visit and post where I can!

Cheers in advance,

Matthew

Profile photo of SHalesSHales
    @shales

Hello Matthew – how interesting.
    How about something about the ways in which the mining industry has affected residential property in Australia, both directly and indirectly, and the risks posed to those communities affected? Not only property value, but also in a macroeconomic context, the concept of a dual speed economy.
    Or how about the future of residential development in Australia's large urban centres – how does the face of the great Australian Dream change over time and what will it look like, and who will be able to afford it in 50 years?

Profile photo of xdrewxdrew
    Participant
    @xdrew

If i was writing a book or thesis as of now .. that would be really interesting .. i would look at the differing property climates across the globe.

Some of the ways that property is recognised or transacted .. some of the compliance rules .. can be really interesting. Some of the rules and structures can be racist .. inferior and downright offensive. Some of the solutions devised for solving these property solutions can be just as entertaining. Compliance codes .. issues with borrowing .. differing systems of loans … the ways to purchase a property can be very enlightening to someone who has never seen these issues before.

You could also concentrate on what works or doesnt work in the local property scene and why its an issue or not an issue.
    Topics such as negative gearing .. rental controls … damage claims .. owner onus .. tenant responsibilities .. insurance issues .. requirements … common problems …. body corporations (owner corporations) as a power structure .. requirements of competent property management. Land value vs structure value … resource and asset valuations.

There is at least half a dozen little topics in there that you could write a book on .. much less a thesis. If you sprout any other ideas from this .. feel free to follow through.

Profile photo of Matthew_WMatthew_W
    @matthew_w

Sorry for the late reply guys.

SHales – I actually considered about the mining industry (growing popular every day); and also how the environment is more prominent in real estate now (eg: when developing – how this affects the flora and fauna, community, and 5 and 6 star green buildings). Im not really a fan of that; im more interested in how ‘x’ affects the return of ‘y’. Your second paragraph is interesting however, and worth considering. I’m wanting to do something with a bit of finance (risk/return, yields etc.), so that could easily work into affordability.

XDrew – Lol! It’s an 18,000 word limit thesis; but all those ideas in your second paragraph I never would’ve thought of in terms of writing about what works and what doesn’t.

I kinda wanted to write about something that I could learn about, and implement in the future. I’m 99% sure I am going with my option of: Residential Property Investment: Rental Return or Capital Growth?; however, you two have stirred the pot (in a good way ;) ) and got me thinking more. So many possibilities! Cheers again. :D

Profile photo of fWordfWord
    Participant
    @fword

Matthew…once your thesis is complete, and you have a PDF copy, I'd be very interested to see it.

Profile photo of Matthew_WMatthew_W
    @matthew_w
    fWord wrote:
    Matthew…once your thesis is complete, and you have a PDF copy, I'd be very interested to see it.

Consider it done ;)

I plan to do it part time over two years; a lot obviously can change in that time, but will keep it in mind mate :)

Profile photo of christianbchristianb
    Participant
    @christianb

How about "property development for investors"? I come across a lot of investors who want to get involved a property development but know little about it. With land scarcity issues infill development, in my opinion, will become ever more common and investors will drive the industry.

Profile photo of mattstamattsta
    Participant
    @mattsta

I think a thesis on the affordability of housing for young people would be a very interesting topic. Many first home buyers are concerned about buying a home nowadays and its getting harder and harder. This would be of interest to you as a young person too.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.