All Topics / General Property / Melbourne-Sydney-Brisbane

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • Profile photo of keikokeiko
    Participant
    @keiko

Melbourne-Sydney-Brisbane

I'm curious, what do you live in, A house or an apartment?

What would you prefer to live in, A house or an aprtment?

What is your age?

Profile photo of fWordfWord
    Participant
    @fword

Melbourne.

Live in a detached house with a backyard.

Prefer to live in a detached house with a backyard.

Age 29.

Good question, and if you get a wide enough selection of respondents, it'd be a good reflection of the type of accomodation people might prefer.

Profile photo of keikokeiko
    Participant
    @keiko
    fWord wrote:
    Melbourne.

Live in a detached house with a backyard.

Prefer to live in a detached house with a backyard.

Age 29.

Good question, and if you get a wide enough selection of respondents, it'd be a good reflection of the type of accomodation people might prefer.

Yep deffinatly, it will be interesting if enough people answer.  I keep reading that most people want to live in apartments in the CBD's hence the reason for putting this post up

Participant
    @fword
    keiko wrote:

Yep deffinatly, it will be interesting if enough people answer.  I keep reading that most people want to live in apartments in the CBD's hence the reason for putting this post up

Depends on whose opinion we read, I suppose. For example, if you head over to the API blog, Michael Yardney believes that apartment living and a low-maintenance lifestyle is the way of the future. The RE agents have caught on to this, now advertising houses on subdivided blocks in the suburbs as having a low-maintenance lifestyle on 'compact' blocks. Catherine Cashmore on the same blog however, has written about buying family homes on land instead of apartments.

Ultimately, I'd rather live in a detached house. The increase in maintenance for the house and gardens are a small hassle compared to improved privacy and personal space.

Participant
    @keiko
    fWord wrote:
    keiko wrote:

Depends on whose opinion we read, I suppose. For example, if you head over to the API blog, Michael Yardney believes that apartment living and a low-maintenance lifestyle is the way of the future. The RE agents have caught on to this, now advertising houses on subdivided blocks in the suburbs as having a low-maintenance lifestyle on 'compact' blocks. Catherine Cashmore on the same blog however, has written about buying family homes on land instead of apartments.

Ultimately, I'd rather live in a detached house. The increase in maintenance for the house and gardens are a small hassle compared to improved privacy and personal space.

Hi fword,

Yea I did read Michael's article about apartment living, hence the reason for posting on this forum to see what the people on property investing think, I'm thinking most people would prefer a house over an apartment, hopefully more people put what they live in or would prefer to live in to give us all a better idea

Cheers

Profile photo of Andrew_AAndrew_A
    Participant
    @andrew_a

Brisbane, house. Gen X.

Prefer a house, but with someone taking care of the back yard :) Will be upsizing next move.

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

What about Canberra :(

Detached house with a backyard that is too big. The lawn seems to grow as I watch it.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of Andrew_AAndrew_A
    Participant
    @andrew_a
    Jamie M wrote:
    What about Canberra :(

Detached house with a backyard that is too big. The lawn seems to grow as I watch it.

Cheers

Jamie

Canberra.. The strongest capital city over the last 12 months at -0.68% (Residex index data til end Oct 11) Not many are talking about CBR though !?

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

I live in Sydney (baby boomer) in a big house. Would like to downsize a little but have too much junk.

I wouldn't mind a duplex (owning both and renting half and living in the other half). I'd like a bit of a yard but not the massive one we have now (not that I do lawns- or pools). If I find the right block that's what I'll do.

Strata fees are a deterrent for me for an apartment plus privacy. I doubt I'd ever leave Sydney.  

Profile photo of SharonMSharonM
    @sharonm

Melbourne
    Live in an apartment in Toorak. Great inner city spot and renting as we could not afford to buy where we want to live. Instead we are investing in property and will continue to rent until we semi retire. Love apartment living after downsizing from 5 bedroom two storey home in Brisbane with the usual large mortgage attached.  This is stress free living.

What is your age? We are a couple of empty nesters aged 48.

Profile photo of Gus66Gus66
    Participant
    @gus66

Sydney
    House on 5 acres
    Love it won't for say 10yrs

Profile photo of SquirrelSquirrel
    @squirrel

1/4 acre block in leafy suburb 25k out from city (late baby boomer).

Medium sized (light filled) house with private outdoor garden areas (trees to sit under/lawn to sit on/ flowers, fruit and vege patch) to live and entertain in (and where kids had plenty of room to run around in without having to make a special excursion to the park.)…    

As you can see, fully prefer a house and could not last long without the private land/oasis that goes with it.

Profile photo of Gus66Gus66
    Participant
    @gus66
    Gus66 wrote:
    Sydney
    House on 5 acres
    Love it won't for say 10yrs

mmmm woops should read …. Love it and won't leave for say 10 years

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Fell off the ride on mower at the weekend so will answer as follows:

Live in large detached house 8 kms from the CBD on a big block and personally wouldnt swop it.
    Dont think i could squeeze 5 of us and a dog into a 2 bedroom CBD apartment.

Keep those for my tenants as they rent darn well.

Age oh Yes 47.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Participant
    @fword

Detached houses win so far…

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m
    fWord wrote:

I don't think I could live in anything else. I love having a backyard and a bit of space between the neighbors. We've lived in apartments and townhouses but I'd take a detached home over them any day.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Participant
    @fword
    Jamie M wrote:
    fWord wrote:

I don't think I could live in anything else. I love having a backyard and a bit of space between the neighbors. We've lived in apartments and townhouses but I'd take a detached home over them any day.

Cheers

Jamie

Having lived in both a studio apartment (as a student) and in a detached house (currently), I cans see the advantages in each and could live quite happily in either, but got to agree with you that a house with all it’s space is still the way I’d go, given the choice.

Participant
    @keiko

Well good to see the responses, Detached houses is obviously the winner, So what we read about with regards to people leaving there houses to move into apartments is just developers and the media talking it up 

Profile photo of sharve01sharve01
    @sharve01

I’m not so sure. Potentially the people who answered this question are above average wealth and are likely owners not renters. If there is a continued “bar-belling” of the population where the fewer rich get richer and more and more people rent then developers/media might have a point.
    Another thing to consider is what people want v what they can afford.
    I’m not claiming to be an expert and I live in a detached house myself but I can see merit in a future of more townhouses, etc.
    Cheers.

Profile photo of Jins13Jins13
    Participant
    @jins13

Sydney 27 Unit- almost like a Villa

I prefer to live in a house as that way no strata fee and worry about special levy increases to fix anything. I remember couple of units who have the technoloy advanced car parking system which always breaks down and per quarter it is $1500 for the owners.

Avoid Merition units at all costs

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.