All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Your accountant

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Profile photo of Kohlhagen GroupKohlhagen Group
    @kohlhagen-group

Hi Everybody, 

I was posed a question recently. I felt I couldn’t answer the question properly as it was too broad. Property investors come in all shapes and sizes from mum & dad retirees to building magnates. 

In trying to answer the question I thought I would go to the source. 

Q: As a property investor, what do you want out of your accountant?

The ideas that where bandied around created quite a list, but what matters to you personally?

1. I just want my income tax return completed
    2. I just want my Business Activity Statements (BAS) completed and my income tax return completed
    3. I just want general tax advice
    4. I want specific deal by deal tax advice
    5. I want regular quarterly financial statements
    6. I want regular monthly financial statements
    7. I want ad hoc financial statements for the bank
    8. I want to ask my accountant questions over the phone
    9. I want to ask my accountant questions by email
    10. I want my accountant to explain my taxes to me
    11. I just want my accountant to make it all go away with minimal fuss
    12. I want my accountant to help me develop ideas to improve returns and or cut costs
    13. I want my accountant to review deals and help me manage risks
    14. I want my accountant to help me protect my assets and setup new entities such as companies and trusts
    15. I want my accountant to understand my money problems and help me find solutions
    16. I want my accountant to help me determine how much cash I need for a deal
    17. I want my accountant to work with my bank/mortgage broker
    18. I want my accountant to help me work out negative gearing tax benefits
    19. I want regular meetings to discuss progress and issue with my accountant
    20. I just want my accountant to get me the biggest tax refund
    21. I just want my accountant to keep my tax bill as low as possible
    22. I want my accountant to help me tell if a deal is good or bad
    23. I want my accountant to help me determine how much a project will cost
    24. I want my accountant to help me determine how much profit a project will make
    25. I just want my accountants fees to be as low as possible
    26. I want my accountant’s fees to be fixed upfront
    27. I want my accountant to charge by the hour
    28. Other ???

I really appreciate your feedback, and I look forward to participating in these forums in future.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

21 – minimise tax is number 1 for me.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

20). I always get a refund ATM. Just depends on how big ATM.

My accountant needs to be property savvy. He/she needs to own property (a LOT) and know all the deductions I'm entitled to and how to get them.

11) of course,
    12)yes
    13) yes

+ info on structuring (trusts etc).

Profile photo of mattstamattsta
    Participant
    @mattsta

Early this year I set out to get my own accountant for my businesses and portfolio. For me, number 1 and number 21 were major factors for me. I didn't want the hassle of dealing with the accounting (which bored me and I was not good at), and I wanted to minimise tax as much as possible

Profile photo of Dan42Dan42
    @dan42
    Catalyst wrote:
    20).
    My accountant needs to be property savvy. He/she needs to own property (a LOT) and know all the deductions I'm entitled to and how to get them.

It's interesting, I've been seeing a bit of this lately. I'd argue a good accountant should know the deductions available whether they own property or not.

Neil Armstrong didn't demand that the engineers who built Apollo 11 had all been to the moon.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Dan i agree to a certain extent but then would you want to be taught to fly by a pilot who had only read the manual.

I get so many clients say a Broker sat down with them told them how they could pay their home loan off in 6 years with a super duper wealth reduction plan for only $3500 fee and buy 4 over priced investment properties through their marketing dept at the same time.

When they ask the Broker how many properties he owns he answers ' Well i am still saving up for my deposit on my PPOR because i need to pay off my credit card and car loan first' it hardly fills you with inspiration that he lives by his / her own advice.

Cheers

Yours in Finance  

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

@dan42

Hi Richard,

Agree with what you're saying, and the client in your example is entitled to ask, "If the strategy is so good, why aren't you doing it'.

With tax advice, I think a good accountant should know the possible deductions regardless of whether they are in investor or not.

However with other advice that an accountant may be asked, it does help to have some practical experience. Just thinking about it now, I have been asked about PM fees, areas to invest / avoid, buy in what name, etc.

I guess it gets back to the question of what the client wants from their accountant. .

Profile photo of eliseyelisey
    Participant
    @elisey

I agree the above, but it is very hard to find a great accountant in property field !

I changed my tax accountant 3 times already !

either they don't know what they are doing ! ( be warned many qualified accountant out there has no idea what they are doing except charging excessive fee) or they just don't have expertise in property field.

any recommendation for a great accountant really understand property and geuniely wants assist investors profolio and money position.

Taylor

@dan42
    elisey wrote:

any recommendation for a great accountant really understand property and geuniely wants assist investors profolio and money position.

Taylor

Where are you located Taylor?

Participant
    @elisey

hi Catalyst,

I totally agreed that the accountant should also own the property and being a property investor themselves ( he/she must own a lot of property ) this is the only want to demostrate his/her ability to assist their clients and justifiable to their fee charge !

CPA or CA or any sort of qaulification is secondly than being a property investor with muliple investment property.

Personally, i don't think seating in the exam and pass the exams, doing qualification is the way to demostrate the ability to assist clients in the property investment journey.

Taylor

Participant
    @elisey

hi Dan42, I am based in  Sydney

be honest with you, I am a porfolio accountant, I see so many so called qaulified tax accountant with no idea what they are doing !! and they holding CPA or CA qualifcation !!

I didn't further my study to become CPA or CA after study accounting degree in university; however, I can tell straight away what my tax accountants did for me. Many times I spotted error in the tax return they've done for me.  Hence, i changed tax accountant for 3 times already.

from my personally property investing journey, I think i've learnt so many things which many of the CPA/CA qualified don't know !!

I am not the expert in property tax field. However, I am a property investor.

I think a savvy propert investor, should prepare to face up the challenage to employe the "right" type of expert in their team. ( no just the qualification which just do the time and pass the exams)

Profile photo of dansu_20004371dansu_20004371
    Participant
    @dansu_20004371

Hi folks,

This is my first time using this website. I want to make friends with you guys who's got same mindset. I mean property investment and development. I'm holding four properties and developed a dual occupancy. Now I feel it's too much. I need off load one property.

Participant
    @elisey

Hi dansu_20004371

Welcome to the forum,

sometimes slow down is a way to movement forward safely

Taylor

Profile photo of Kohlhagen GroupKohlhagen Group
    @kohlhagen-group

Thanks to all for your comments, much appreciated.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.