All Topics / Help Needed! / negotiating this price

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Profile photo of mikeunwiredmikeunwired
    @mikeunwired

Hi everyone, thanks for taking the time to read my question

today i inspected 10 potential investment properties in south brisbane suburbs and there was one standout that ticked all the right box's, problem is, is that its 30k above what i want to pay (im sure you have all heard this before !)

This is the second time this property has been advertised with a different agency down from 369 to 330 and i only have 300.

the agent is adement that the owners wont take a cent less than 330 ( it says offers above 330 on the advert), but she says she will put foward my offer off 300 if i want,

The advert says they want quick sale , but the agent says they dont want it that quick for 300

any suggestions, this property would be a beauty if i could get it for 300, and sadly enough for me it would still be a bargain at 330 lol

i have heard people entice sellers with different contract clauses so the price appeals more?

this is my first ip

thanks in advance

Profile photo of Mick CMick C
    Participant
    @shape

Well since we dont know how about where, what the property is, how mnay views, how long ad etc- as each of these factors can play in how you negotiate ( ie different location have different tricks).

But a few clauses which may get you over the line is:
    1. No cooling period
    2. <6 weeks settlement
    3. Once 10% given no conditions ( simliar to number 1)

Normally you may need a combination of diff tactics + one of the clauses to get you over…as clauses only may not be enough.

Regards
    Michael

Mick C | Shape Home Loans
    http://www.shapehomeloans.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Same Banks. Better Rates. Served With a Passion.

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

How long would it take you to save the extra $30k plus the extra tiny bit of stamp duty?  Would a longer settlement give you time to come up with that extra cash?  If so, try offering them two offers at once.

Offer 1:  $300k, 6 week settlement
    Offer 2:  $330k, 180 day settlement (don't say 6 months, it makes it sound like a long time.  say 180 days)

Hopefully they will be distracted by the two offers and forget that they can reject them both.  Hopefully they'll be so busy figuring out which offer is better for them that they will indeed accept one of the offers.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Participant
    @jacm

ps you won't have to come up with the whole $30k… just 20% of it (or whatever your required deposit percentage is that the bank is demanding)

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of Mick CMick C
    Participant
    @shape
    JacM wrote:
    Hopefully they will be distracted by the two offers and forget that they can reject them both.  Hopefully they'll be so busy figuring out which offer is better for them that they will indeed accept one of the offers.

Hahah Jack, i doubt they would accept any of the above offer- especially if they have another offer on board..and 180 days is 0.o bloody long time – but i like your thinking LOL ” forget that they can reject them both…..which offer is better for them that they will indeed accept one ” LOL!!!

Might use that trick :)

Regards
    Michael

Mick C | Shape Home Loans
    http://www.shapehomeloans.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Same Banks. Better Rates. Served With a Passion.

Participant
    @jacm

I've implemented this strategy.  The vendor was so blinded by an obsession with wanting a particular price, the offer was immediately accepted with little attention paid to the fact there was a 6mth settlement attached

I said I'll give you $x in 90 days or $z in 180 days,….. in both cases "subject to finance, building and pest and all the rest of it".  I didn't even bother to clarify what I meant by "and all the rest of it".  It was a verbal offer and was accepted verbally, and my solicitor and I then rammed a heap of clauses into the written contract.  The vendor signed it.  Done.

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m
    JacM wrote:
    I've implemented this strategy.  The vendor was so blinded by an obsession with wanting a particular price, the offer was immediately accepted with little attention paid to the fact there was a 6mth settlement attached

I said I'll give you $x in 90 days or $z in 180 days,….. in both cases "subject to finance, building and pest and all the rest of it".  I didn't even bother to clarify what I meant by "and all the rest of it".  It was a verbal offer and was accepted verbally, and my solicitor and I then rammed a heap of clauses into the written contract.  The vendor signed it.  Done.

Gold. Perfect example of how it's not always about price when negotiating:)

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of EPI_DenEPI_Den
    @epi_den

Good stuff JacM, that’s exactly how to do it!

Get chatting with the real estate agent and find out what the vendor wants. I recently bought a place for $270k after being assured the vendor wouldn’t take less than $300k. Sometimes the last person to blink wins.

It’s also worth noting that any written offer must be passed on to the vendor, so if you start at, say, $290k and go to the trouble of writing it, you might condition the vendor to receiving considerably less than the $330k they say they want.

By the way, I’ve got a offer template which might help you when it comes to making an offer. Simply get in touch via the website and I’ll email it to you.

Cheers, and good luck!
    Den

Participant
    @jacm
    EPI_Den wrote:
    if you start at, say, $290k and go to the trouble of writing it, you might condition the vendor to receiving considerably less than the $330k they say they want.

Very interesting.  Very valid point.

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of mikeunwiredmikeunwired
    @mikeunwired

thanks to everyone for their input, i think i wil just send in a offer of 300 and see what comes back, its always hard to guage what to do as you never know if the agent is lying to you or not

Profile photo of bjsaustbjsaust
    Participant
    @bjsaust

Some good thoughts in here. I'm no expert, but here's what I would do.

Written offer.
    $300k
    A minimum settlement period but beyond that vendor to choose settlement date (i.e., you probably don't want less than 30 days but up to them if they want later than that)
    Bare minimum of conditions
    Final offer
    Deadline of 24hrs to accept.

A bit of give and take, with some urgency to push them along.

Profile photo of crustycrusty
    Participant
    @crusty

If the vendor rejects that,  you could ask if they would finance you for 20 or 30 k , or even more , even interest free, with payments in insallments or however it suits you.  It could be in exchange for quick settlement.  They would just need to  take a 2nd mortage on the property, which can be discharged when you repay the money.     It sounds like you are in a strong posisition to negotiate.  YOU HAVE TO FIND OUT WHAT THEY WANT and why  they are selling.    You may be able to offer them more than they want in return for an interest free loan.   They may not even want the interest as it may affect their pension,  or may increase their tax rate and the amount of capital gains tax  they pay, or just because it affects their ability to get a health care card.  They may want interest paid but not until a different tax year, or at the end of  the loan.    Good luck.

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m
    crusty wrote:
    YOU HAVE TO FIND OUT WHAT THEY WANT and why  they are selling.   

Totally agree and it's a really good point.

It's not always about the price. The first thing to do is find out what their motivation is for selling and base your negotiations around that.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

@mikeunwired
    crusty wrote:
    .  YOU HAVE TO FIND OUT WHAT THEY WANT and why  they are selling.    .

i believe they are selling to liquidate their assets, they r retired investors. I emailed the agent 2 days ago enquiring wether i could forward a offer of 300, but she hasnt replied.she told me that other parties are interested and that they were about to submit offers.To be honest, this is a good deal and i cant see me getting this for 300, in fact i think that this property would go for more than 330 it has so much potential..poor old me …ha ha

Profile photo of Lucky I GuessLucky I Guess
    @lucky-i-guess

Let me get this straight.  You believe it to be worth $330k, you are even happy to pay $330k, you think it could easily fetch more than $330k, yet you want to play games in the hope of obtaining a 10% discount on the price when it says offers above $330k considered.

Sounds to me like you have no idea whatsoever and think you are entering the world of investing with poorly thought out tactics.  They never accept the first offer anyway when you low ball them so much.

If you think its a bargain at $330k, buy the bloody thing.  Stop the games and grow up a little.  If you dont know how to negoiate a price, pay someone who knows how to otherwise when talking with the agent they will have sussed you out in 10 seconds flat and you have lost your position.

Profile photo of bjsaustbjsaust
    Participant
    @bjsaust

He clearly said he only had 300k to spend. Its not a matter of what he thinks its worth, its what he can afford to offer.

@mikeunwired
    Lucky I Guess wrote:
    Let me get this straight.  You believe it to be worth $330k, you are even happy to pay $330k, you think it could easily fetch more than $330k, yet you want to play games in the hope of obtaining a 10% discount on the price when it says offers above $330k considered.

Sounds to me like you have no idea whatsoever and think you are entering the world of investing with poorly thought out tactics.  They never accept the first offer anyway when you low ball them so much.

If you think its a bargain at $330k, buy the bloody thing.  Stop the games and grow up a little.  If you dont know how to negoiate a price, pay someone who knows how to otherwise when talking with the agent they will have sussed you out in 10 seconds flat and you have lost your position.

sorry but you have completley misunderstood the whole point of my post, i dont have 330, 300 is my limit and i cant stretch myself anymore to borrow more….hence the request for advice in negotiating…thanks for your contribution

Profile photo of Ultra PropertyUltra Property
    @ultra-property

Try to offer $300k, you never know since its a flat market and a good time to buy. Find out why are they selling and create a win/win situation for both.

Profile photo of kong71286kong71286
    Participant
    @kong71286

As JacM mentioned, you could offer the retired couple the price they want, and negotiate terms that would allow the deal to go through i.e. asking them to leave some money in the deal (30-40k), and offering 10% interest on that money with the balance paid out in 5 years time.

Profile photo of Andrew_AAndrew_A
    Participant
    @andrew_a

The selling agent doesn’t always know the sellers motivation either. A smart vendor who really has a minimum of 330k and due to change in circumstances would actually accept 300k is likely to not tell the agent this!

So.. if that’s your property and that’s your maximum, then one idea would be to present a written offer in a polite way and explain your situation as best you can (people don’t usually believe that’s your maximum the first three times you tell them), also since you are taking on price it would be one idea to give on clauses, ie: try and make the conditions stronger for the seller as compensation for the lower price.

Just general ideas and each deal is very individual! Good luck :)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.