All Topics / Help Needed! / Sacking a Property Manager

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of SHalesSHales
    @shales

Hello people, I haven't been around here in a while.  We want to sack our current property manager and hire another.  We've chosen a new one.  Is there a specfic legal process I need to go through?  Is there a PAMD form for this ( I couldn't find on on the fair trading site).
    Cheers
    SH

Profile photo of Dan42Dan42
    @dan42

You might need to check the document you have signed with the current property manager as a first step, to see if there is a notice period, or whether you have signed up with the current PM for a specific length of time.

Profile photo of SHalesSHales
    @shales

Jeez….  That was a while ago.  I wonder where that document would be now.  Brings to mind actually, the different time lines we need to file documents for….  Sometimes you need to find it 10 years later…
    Thanks.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

depending upon what you have agreed with the current agent, notice must be in writing, faxed oe mailed to the company giving the appropriate notice period, may be 30, 60 or 90 days. Some will let you out earlier.

Profile photo of geeaitchgeeaitch
    @geeaitch

I was in the same boat earlier this year and wrote a long letter to the managing director of the property management company. I listed out my concerns in a nice way, including all the reasons that led me to this decision. I offered to pay the 90 day break fee to be released immediately. I now manage the property myself and still haven’t received an invoice from the old property management team (or property mis-management team as the case may be) ;-)

Profile photo of SimkySimky
    @simky

I sacked mine recently and it was as simple as telling my new Agent to arrange it , and she did

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m
    SHales wrote:
    Hello people, I haven't been around here in a while.  We want to sack our current property manager and hire another.  We've chosen a new one.  Is there a specfic legal process I need to go through?  Is there a PAMD form for this ( I couldn't find on on the fair trading site).
    Cheers
    SH

Hi SH

If you already have tenants in place, request that your new PM doesn't charge you the standard one week tenant finding fee.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of SHalesSHales
    @shales

Thanks fo the suggestions.  Great stuff.  I've drafted a letter and sent it to the new pm to look over.  It is tricky as we are in the middle of lease renewal with a long term tenant, too.  Won't manage myself as it is about 1500km from where I live.  Cheers.

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m
    SHales wrote:
    Thanks fo the suggestions.  Great stuff.  I've drafted a letter and sent it to the new pm to look over.  It is tricky as we are in the middle of lease renewal with a long term tenant, too.  Won't manage myself as it is about 1500km from where I live.  Cheers.

Can you wait until the new lease is signed? Might make things a little easier.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of mattstamattsta
    Participant
    @mattsta

Yeah it’s important to have good property managers, and to let go of them fast if they’re not performing!

Recheck the terms of your contract – make sure you you check the clauses regarding “termination.”

Here’s some more info to help you out: http://yourokcpropertymanager.com/how-to-fire-your-property-manager

Profile photo of TayloredPropertyTayloredProperty
    @tayloredproperty

If you make it clear how powerful word of mouth can be, I am sure they can be persuaded to let you out earlier, if you speak with the principal of the agency, not the property manager.
    I know that I don't care if my clients have a 2 year agreement with me, first of all I want to know if I can fix the problem, if not, I would much rather let them walk yesterday, than have them locked and signed up with me, telling their friends and family, and damaging my brand.
    Good for you in deciding to select a new manager though, the right one can make you forget you even own an investment property!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.