All Topics / Help Needed! / $100k in passive income

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Profile photo of EngeloRumoraEngeloRumora
    Participant
    @engelorumora

Hi guys,

No controversial headlines this time as a few of you weren't happy with my previous post haha.

Could any investor out there who has or is wanting to achieve a passive income of $100k reply with what strategy you have implemented (or are implementing) to achieve this.

I would like to get an idea from other investors as to what strategies they've used to achieve a passive income of a minimum $100k p.a. So far, my strategy has been purchasing below market value, renovating, refinancing, pulling out equity and repeating the same process. Similar to what Nathan Birch has done. I appreciate any positive or negative response, just don't be provocative hahaha

Thanks for your time.

Regards,
    Engelo

EngeloRumora | Ohio Cashflow
    http://ohiocashflow.com/
    Email Me | Phone Me

F@#$ THE REST WORK WITH OHIO CASHFLOW TO INVEST

Profile photo of PaulliePaullie
    @paullie

I invested in lotto for many years. I won 3 million and now enjoy over 100k per year in bank interest.

Profile photo of wisepearlwisepearl
    @wisepearl

I am aiming to do turnover deals through value-add to build up a capital base, then invest in commercial real estate to provide passive income.

For an income of $100k p.a., and using average commercial yield around 8%, you’d need to have min $1.25mil cash to purchase commercial property.

that’s my strategy for now…

Profile photo of EngeloRumoraEngeloRumora
    Participant
    @engelorumora

@ Paullie thats awesome mate, im buying $1 scratchies and trying to win big so far no success.

@wisepearl sounds good, if not a secret how much do you spend per property and how much profit do you expect to get from every deal? Also, do you sell the property after the reno or hold and rent?

Thanks

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of bumskinsbumskins
    Participant
    @bumskins
    engelo10 wrote:

Hi guys,

I would like to get an idea from other investors as to what strategies they've used to achieve a passive income of a minimum $100k p.a. So far, my strategy has been purchasing below market value, renovating, refinancing, pulling out equity and repeating the same process. Similar to what Nathan Birch has done. I appreciate any positive or negative response, just don't be provocative hahaha

Thanks for your time.

Regards,
    Engelo

Thats not really “Passive” income.

Definition: Passive income is an income received on a regular basis, with little effort required to maintain it.

Examples of Pasive Income are:
    * Bank interest.
    * Rent.
    * Dividends.

There must be little to no involvement by you to earn the income.

In your case there is work invovled with acquiring, renovating and refinancing the properties (Active). The only passive income in this circumstance is the rent.

Profile photo of xdrewxdrew
    Participant
    @xdrew

Timing is everything.

Anything i'm purchasing at the moment involves improvement and re-evaluation.

I've got a substantial portfolio … returning after expenses and debt repayments over several properties .. in several states …

…. around the 530k mark. Thats a good amount .. but as you might guess .. to avoid a hefty tax burden that gets reinvested every six or seven months into new projects which chew up my income into new investment targets.

My goal was always to buy a shopping centre (or more) within 10 years of structured investing. I'm about 3 years short of that target .. and the propositions on the market look good.

Having watched Nathan Birch .. he's doing what i would have done if I'd been 10 years younger and knew what to do at the time. The only thing that I would have to change from that for a 30+ investor is that you buy smarter .. buy with an intended 1yr turnover (tax reasons). You've got less time to work with the property and you need to build your bank. Do it smart and you cant go wrong.

People are saying hold back on proposed targets now .. I'm again in the same position I was in March 2009 .. sitting there saying there has NEVER BEEN A BETTER TIME TO BUY. Why? Because the whole sideshow going on overseas WILL affect local markets .. but in inflationary pressures. They are already visible and are already being felt. Inflationary pressures push up ALL pricings and markets. And make any loans you did get look pitiful .. quickly.

Buy good property at under market (tick for that engelo10). Buy neglected .. buy poorly presented .. buy debtor sales .. buy bank sales or fire sales. There is no point in buying a pretty property that has both NO upside .. and no potential for extension or improvement. Think of that next time someone offers you an 'off the plan' proposition.

Buy with the prospect of understanding where your tenancies will most likely be coming from and where the risk components lie with your purchase. Keep an update on your suburb either with online local papers .. or by getting your agent to deliver you a copy of the local paper. I do both.

Just from word of mouth and travelling around the banks in recent days … banks are being VERY competitive with trying to get loans through now .. and are being a little more flexible on how they get their deals through. Thats a great step for you and me .. the property investors. They are there for your deals. Present them properly and make money.

Thats how you do it.

By the way Paulie .. if you are earning 100k net on 3 million .. thats a return on your investment of a little over 3% for spending. And if you are using it to spend on yourself … your portfolio is dipping in value yearly and losing against inflation barring capital gains. Even if you buy in a winning area .. thats not a safe or constructive long term strategy. Thats how to turn 3 million back into pennies. On any portfolio you should be looking at a minimum of 5% NET to produce enough return to fund your projects .. pay your expenses and pocket some change. Not getting that? Then your money is working against you and not for you.

And for bumkins .. unless you are 50+ .. you shouldnt be looking for passivity in your investment strategy. You should be keeping your money active .. your asset portfolio active .. you should be hiring GOOD property managers to do the <moderator: delete language> work for you and you should be moving your money at a regular and steady pace. Anyone who at 30 seeks a passive portfolio .. no matter how big it remains is asking for time to slow his money down. Thats why you need to keep your money active.

Mouthful to read.

I'll leave it at that.

Participant
    @engelorumora

Thanks Xdrew for ur comment, so you have 530k pooring in? <moderator: delete language> man those are some sexy figures hahaha. Does there come a time when you will say this is enough money? I kind of think when I reach a certain '' active income'' haha I will stop and enjoy from then on. Other more experienced investor friends of mine say I probably wont cause I will then set new milestones haha

Buy good property at under market (tick for that engelo10). Buy neglected .. buy poorly presented .. buy debtor sales .. buy bank sales or fire sales. There is no point in buying a pretty property that has both NO upside .. and no potential for extension or improvement. Think of that next time someone offers you an 'off the plan' proposition.

Thats it mate, im trying to find the biggest ruins out there, no one wants them and you can always snagg a bargain. Due to poor marketing and tenant having boxes stacked up to the ceiling I managed to pick one up 30k below comparables in the block. I dont believe the saying '' its only worth what you payed as thats the markets current appraisal of the property''. I believe there are many price indescrepencies everywere they just have to be found.

Engelo

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of PaulliePaullie
    @paullie

haha. I wish engelo.

Participant
    @xdrew

You moderate your goals .. you attain your goals.

Then you reset your goals and aim for the next attainable level.

Then you reach that .. and try again.

How you reach your goals is the creative part. And at each level it becomes just a little easier.

Profile photo of rusty05rusty05
    @rusty05

Hi guys,
    Xdrew can I ask how you structure a portfolio of that size?  Apologies if it's a no-go zone. I understand that there's no one size fits all regarding trusts, company, individual names etc but i'm interested in how larger portfolios are achieved.

Regards,
    Rusty 

Profile photo of kong71286kong71286
    Participant
    @kong71286
    xdrew wrote:

Having watched Nathan Birch .. he's doing what i would have done if I'd been 10 years younger and knew what to do at the time. The only thing that I would have to change from that for a 30+ investor is that you buy smarter .. buy with an intended 1yr turnover (tax reasons). You've got less time to work with the property and you need to build your bank. Do it smart and you cant go wrong.

Thanks for your post Xdrew

If you don't mind me asking, could you elaborate on the part about buying with an intended 1 year turnover?

I was thinking about using the Renovation strategy to build up my piggy bank, and some of the questions that came to mind were:

• Does the costs (50% CGT) saved from holding a renovated property for +1 year, outweigh the holding (interest) costs?
    • Is it feasible to get early access to a property, renovate it, and then sell it to another person (via 'And/or nominee' clause), so that you can save costs associated to stamp duty and maybe split this saving 50/50? Alternatively, could you use an 'options' contract, and would the cost associated with having the option written up by a lawyer, outweigh the costs saved from stamp duty?
    • Since I am just beginning should I buy the properties I intend to renovate and resell in my own individual name, or would it be best to setup the right structure in the first place E.g. maybe a company that is held in a discretionary trust with corporate trustee?
    Participant
    @xdrew
    rusty05 wrote:

Hi guys,
    Xdrew can I ask how you structure a portfolio of that size?  Apologies if it's a no-go zone. I understand that there's no one size fits all regarding trusts, company, individual names etc but i'm interested in how larger portfolios are achieved.

Regards,
    Rusty 

As you might understand I would prefer not to discuss company structures and methods in an open forum. I might be good friends with the ATO today .. but with an open forum i wont take any chances either.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Admitedly it is not easy but i was lucky enough to buy at the right time in the right place and the right price.

When i first purchased an Australian IP in 1994 in Albany Creek, Brisbane i paid $61,000 for the land and $121,000 to build it.Property is now worth around $520,000 and rents for $420 / week some 17 years later.

Then went on to buy a further 39 properties which we stilll hold with a healthy passive income.

Times change and you need to adapt as you will not find a block of 24 units in-line for sale for $80,000 each 4 Km's out of Brisbane CBD but in 2001 you could do so and I did.

Buying under value properties is key now as much as it was when i started back in the mid 90's the only difference being is the initial entry price.Make sure the maintenance is kept upto date and you comminicate in a hard but fair manner with the tenant to ensure they make regular rental payment and longevity of tenure. I have many a Tenant that has been in the property for 5 years + and each time the rent has increased we are at pains to explain to them the reasons why.

Set your structure up correctly from day 1 and it will happen.

Good luck and keep us all posted.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

@rusty05

Totally understand xdrew :-)

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm
    Qlds007 wrote:
    Make sure the maintenance is kept upto date and you comminicate in a hard but fair manner with the tenant to ensure they make regular rental payment and longevity of tenure. I have many a Tenant that has been in the property for 5 years + and each time the rent has increased we are at pains to explain to them the reasons why.

As Richard implies, putting the rent up is essential.  If you don't, you will never pay the property off.  Ultimately the tenant will find that there is no point trying to move since there is nothing cheaper available in the town anyway, and there is hassle and cost associated with moving.  There is nothing wrong with putting the rent up such that it matches what similar properties in the area are renting for.

Each year your bills go up in price (insurance, council rates, water rates, tradespeople fees and in some cases, mortgage interest…) so that cost needs to be passed onto the tenant.  If a tenant complains that the rent doesn't go down if mortgage interest goes down, a tidy way of explaining why is to point out that you cannot put the rent up mid-lease, and yet the mortgage interest rate can indeed go up mid lease, and you have to wait till the end of the lease year before you can do anything about it.  So to balance out the rocky ride, things are handled simply by putting the rent up by a small increment each year.

I've got a block of units mostly tenanted by lower-income single guys, and they have been very clear in communicating that they are perfectly happy with their brown 70s kitchens.  To them a sparkling new kitchen is not priority.  The most important things to them are peace and quiet, relatively-affordable rent, and most importantly, feeling secure in the knowledge that the landlord is taking care of them and won't kick them out in the cold with 2 seconds notice.  It is very easy to build that trust.  My mum bakes cupcakes which I take along any time I have to go over there to attend to anything.  Their units are always referred to as their homes, and they are always greeted with a smile and a handshake.  These guys pay on time everytime, and give me absolutely no trouble whatsoever.  Quite the opposite – they help out with gardening on the grounds and so forth.  Understand who your tenants are and what their needs are and it is easy to have long-term tenants.  And to find out what their needs are, just ask!  I'll keep these boys as tenants for ages, and slowly renovate the units one by one as they leave later on due to changes in life circumstance.  This works for me as I am a stress-head.  I would absolutely hate having a high turnover.  I would lose too much sleep.  I need boring stability.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Participant
    @engelorumora

Well Qlds007 and JacM it seems like you guys have done very well for yourselfs with property investing. Thanks for your comments and I definetly see things the same way you guys do so hopefully I can follow in your footsteps :). Im just settling on my 5th property and all purchased within the last 6 months. Bought all below market value and refinanced the first 2 to pull out some equity. If i need more cash for other purchases ill just refinance the latter properties and keep pumping. Im currently looking for something really sexy so that after I reno and refinance its at minimum neutral. Not too many of them around haha

Engelo

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @jacm

As an alternative to refinancing, you could instead simply take out a second mortgage against one of the existing properties when you go to buy your next property.  Richard can explain in more detail if you're not across this method.

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Engelo

The refinance barrier can be a problem in the current climate especially at the higher lvr's.

Unlike JacM we refurbish all of our older properties and over half of my properties are multi unit blocks where we have purchased the entiire block inline from the original or current owner and then refurbished each unit to not only increase the rent but create equiity.

Nowadays thankfully my lvr is around 13% so creating equity is not a issue or concern.

In fact i wouldnt worry if the properties didnt even increase by the cost of inflation over the next 10 years.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

@rusty05

Hi Engelo,
    Geez mate, you've had a busy few months – well done!

Participant
    @jacm
    Qlds007 wrote:
    Unlike JacM we refurbish all of our older properties and over half of my properties are multi unit blocks where we have purchased the entiire block inline from the original or current owner and then refurbished each unit to not only increase the rent but create equiity.

Already renovated one of them.  Will renovate the other 3 in due course

Email Me | Phone Me

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.