All Topics / Overseas Deals / USA Property Management…The Real Truth Part 6….FINAL!

Viewing 21 post (of 21 total)
  • Profile photo of jayhinrichsjayhinrichs
    Participant
    @jayhinrichs
    lawsjs wrote:
    JLH "…I grew up in San Francisco Bay area, and there was a very famous columnist for the SF Chronicle named Herb Caen, he wrote an editorial type collum on daily life in SF he called it Bagdad by the Bay before we bombed the crap out of Bagdad… And at the end of his life and collum he would constantly compare SF of the 50 and 60's to the current times pretty much exactly as you have portrayed the US in your post. You come to Portland Oregon were I live and I think you will see a different US than just about any part of the country and it will probably remind you of AUS like no other place in the states. Its all about demographics and attitude…. Portland average age is 35, I am on the old side but lots of young kids doing their thing in a time warp of sorts…" I missed that response of yours (not a totally avid reader) but you are so right. It started in the UK in the 70's – they now openly refer to 'pre immigration England' and is starting in Australia now. There is slightly more freedom of speech here and in the UK so we can still say such things, but it is a problem that no one seems to refer to in the states anymore….. JLH again – Just buying my first storage facility now (in aus). I like van parks too, but this seemed simpler to start with – Ive wanted this particular one for years. This one also is letting out space at genuine 1990 prices too, so hopefully I can do in short order what you did to your park. Like your work!!! "…Only way to own and run one of those is to live on site. with your nice tenants"…. and your gun collection and monthly subscription to 'Soldier of Fortune' magazine:):)

Good luck with your storage facility I own one in Portland that is 44 units under 7k sq feet of office. they are 10 X 20's and fully finished inside meaning drywall and lights with automatic garage door openers. We get 150 to 200 a month for these. Last year I did a Strata on them. And my goal is to sell each unit individually as market conditions get better. Our site is right down by the Columiba river and there are about 500 plus floating homes within 1 mile of me, most of my tenants own floating homes. So good captive client base. The thought is they can purchase their unit then tie that unit to the deed of their floating home. Will make their floating home that much more valualble because storage is always an issue.

Storage's need to be run like a business you do get high turn over but when they get full with a waiting list like mine is now its a beautiful investment. I would not buy one as an absentee owner though unless I had an equity partner on the ground managing it.

JLH

Viewing 21 post (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.