All Topics / Overseas Deals / USA Property Management…The Real Truth Part 6….FINAL!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Profile photo of GreaterKCHomesGreaterKCHomes
    @greaterkchomes

Wow! I appreciate all the feedback and emails, and if I have not said it enough, Thank You!

This will be the final installment to this revelation into Property Management in the US!

This will deal with the #1 most important factor in any income property, anywhere in the USA!  TENANTS!!!!

Without question, the tenants are the most important part of any income property, without them you have a vacant home, that looks pretty from the street! I have never seen an empty house make anyone any money!

Since there is really no way to get an accurate picture on how tenants are being treated by other PM's or the investor's themselves, I used a different approach at gathering the data. Although not apart of my 12 question exit polls, we essentially ask them their overall experience with their previous landlord/PM Company.

What seemed to be the #1 indicator of why these tenants were not happy, they were treated like 2nd class citizens. This is baffling to me, as these are the "customers" you HAVE to have in order to succeed, so the best strategy here is to treat them horribly?

Here are the FACTS: 
    Tenants typically move for a handful of reasons:
    1. Job Relocation (To far to drive in the city at their current residence)
    2. Moving out of the city
    3. Different school districts
    4. House/Apartment not being taken care of
    5. Poor treatment by landlords/PM's

You want to know why tenants don't stay more than 1 year in alot of cases…need to look no further than #4 and #5!  If your PM looks at tenants as a 2nd class citizen, sees them as nothing more than a rent check, guess what, your going to have many problems. Put yourself in their shoes, what happens when you go to a store and you feel like you have been offended? Do you typically walk out, talk to the manager, refuse to visit that store again? Why would the reaction be any different from the tenant? Unfortunately this is a common problem, as I experience this almost daily in talking to new prospective tenants. I want to share with you this story, that has developed over the last 2 weeks.

I received a call from a young lady and mother of a 3 year old who was diagnosed with asthma, she was literally crying to me on the phone. She moved into a small 2 bedroom home (under 600 sq feet), 2 months ago. The home at the time she moved in had "black" stains on the bathtub wall, this young lady was not aware, but it was in fact mold. The LARGE PM company assured her that it was NO BIG DEAL, and that it was probably just dirt! Their suggestion was, if she cleaned it real good it would probably go away. Well as we all know, cleaning it will not make mold go away, it has to be removed from the location.  The sad part of this is she was not aware that this was in fact mold, and that mold is an airborne virus, that attacks the lungs, so if you already have breathing issues, it's not a good sight to see. She had to discover what this "black" stain was, by making an emergency room visit to the hospital for her son, who was struggling to breathe.

I went over to her house to take some pictures and begin the process of getting her out of there. I went down to the city and talked to my source for zoning issues in KC, and asked her to please send out an inspector to look at this house. The city sent an inspector, the same day, and immediately order her to evacuate the property, and placed one of those gorgeous GREEN stickers on the front door, "UNSAFE TO OCCUPY".

I had arranged to have this family move into one of my new properties. I spoke to the owner and explained the situation, he was 100% in agreement with my plan. The tenant literally lives check to check, and had NO money to move on the spot, as the city ordered her to. I paid for a same day report (trust me, this is not cheap) on her background check, verified her employment and struck a deal with the owner of the property. If he would let me move her in with no money down, I would manage that unit, completely free of charge for the entire year. Much to my surprise he rejected that offer, and came up with his own solution. We split the cost 50/50, he will pay 50% of the management fees to me, and I will not charge him for the other half. I paid 3 of my construction guys to move her out of this house and into our apartment, and the owner of the property is willing to reimburse me for half of that cost. These are the types of owners I surround myself with, I never asked him to split anything with me, but because he sees the importance of excellent relations with tenants, he was more than willing to bear that expense with me. 

The LARGE PM, who I will not name, but would love to be able to, is threatening her with an eviction and garnishment of her wages, for vacating a house, that the city ordered her to leave. See their strategy here is to scare her into making a payment arrangement with them in hopes she is not familiar with the law. I mean how are you going to contact the owner and tell them their property has been tagged as unfit? See as my early post mentioned, when the city tags your property, it gets really, really expensive to get that occupancy permit back. I am pretty sure, that the PM is not going any further than a threat, as I called them and asked them if they seriously wanted to go down this road. In not so kind words, I let it be known that if it has to go to court, I'm going after their license.

What this has led to, is 2 referrals from this new tenant, that we have had literally for 2 weeks! She has signed a 3 year lease agreement, her choice, not ours. Because of this act of respect towards this tenant, his 4 plex, which was 100% vacant, will be 100% occupied in 3 weeks, as I have found his 4th tenant.  All of this out of nothing more than treating tenants with respect, and not a 2nd class citizen.

The point here was not to gloat on myself, honestly. It was to prove a point that karma works and when you treat these tenants with respect, they will repay you with referrals, taking care of your property and they will stay in most cases for more than a year.

More issues coming out of exit polls with tenants.

Maintenance calls not being handled in timely manner. Some of the tenants reported as long as 2 weeks for repairs that weren't emergencies, but could cause significant damage to the property, if left alone for this long. In Missouri, there is absolutely no excuse for not being able to get repairs done within 24 hours! Missouri law allows for immediate entry by PM for legitimate emergency situations, and only requires a written 24 hour notice placed on the tenants door, for any other reason. The tenant does not have to acknowledge it was there, all the PM has to do, is tape it to the door and take a picture of it with the date.

My question is this, If PMs get so bent out of shape of late rent, yet they are willing to let repairs go until "they can get to them", what are they thinking?  In Missouri, a tenant can withhold up to 50% of the rent, if a maintenance request goes over 2 weeks and the PM was properly notified. How do you think the PM would act if they actually withheld the rent? The kicker here, there is nothing you, the owner, can do about it, it's the law. Try and evict them, the judge will more than likely rule in favor of the tenant, and you just spent $300 with an attorney for nothing.

Little tip on how to exploit if your PM is doing this very thing. Demand at the very least, a quarterly video of your house/apartment. Do not accept pictures, pictures will only show you what they want you to see, videos can't do that. Oh and by the way, they should not charge for any inspection of your property, this is their job! If you have online management software, see how long it takes for a "open" maintenance ticket to become closed, and more importantly when it's paid. Most software I have ever sampled, requires 3 steps to close a maintenance request, you open it, you close it or complete it then you pay the bill. If there is a huge gap between completed and paid, you can bet the job did not get done as quickly as you would think. Most PM's use small contractor companies to complete their tasks, as they typically don't charge as much as the big outfits. The fact here is that most small contractor's cannot afford to "bill" a PM company for more than 2 weeks, or they face financial difficulty.

The bottom line here, treat tenants with respect, and you will see fewer and fewer problems. Contrary to popular belief, tenants actually do not like to move, nothing in our data suggests otherwise. When they do move, I can assure you it's because of the top 5 listed above.

I want to thank everyone again for your comments and emails! To answer a very popular question, I am considering releasing the data compiled, of over 250 interviews and counting. This is not an easy decision for me, as I have invested thousands of dollars creating the database, and countless man hours in capturing this data. I am not concerned of it getting in to the hands of other PM"s that are not my competitor's, but obviously those that are. They would simply take it, make it their own. What I will probably end up doing is releasing bits and pieces of it, in a spreadsheet type setting.  When I get it all figured out, on how to best release it, I will let all of you know, for those that have asked for it.

Another question I have gotten a lot of, is how do I use this data?
    It is a very complex database, that was programmed over 3 weeks. This database auto updates every 48 hours, based on a series of scores given to each question, as I have ranked them along with their answers. The database compiles all entry's and assigns a "color" value to each cell, there are 5 colors that represent a different stage, and it's priority. As the cell changes color's and essentially moves up that ladder of importance, it is immediately implemented, and changes are made to it's significance.

All the data collected is used in every aspect of my business.

1. Locating Homes
    2. Tenant Relations
    3. 100% instrumental in the development of "The Renovation" The compilation of this data, has resulted in 15 changes to "The Renovation", all the way down to paint colors. 
    4. Renting of Units
    5. Marketing strategies

John

Profile photo of Alex SCAlex SC
    Participant
    @alex-sc

John alot of information ….Which I think is awesome ..Good for you…I  will give  every one my simple version… for tenants…

Treat all  people with dignity and respect…These might not homes we choose to live in, but to a tenant its what they call home. Make the home 100 % the best it can be..If you cant sleep at night there is usually a good reason…If it breaks fix it right away.We would be pissed if some thing in our home did not work…

Again we all put our pants on one leg at time….simple process…so should be simple answers…

Tenant referrals from Family and friends say alot ,and go  along way…in this business… A property management company is and should be a professional full service one stop shop for clients.

John again great post and appreciate the information…

Sincerely
    Alex

Profile photo of GreaterKCHomesGreaterKCHomes
    @greaterkchomes

Alex,

Very well said, and I thank you again for the kind words.

John

Profile photo of jayhinrichsjayhinrichs
    Participant
    @jayhinrichs

Very comprehensive data.

I think the important thing here is that the PM is only as good as the owner  and the owner is only as good as the PM.

You can have the greatest PM in the world but if the owner is not repsonsive whats a PM to do. The PM is not going to personally pay for repairs. If they do they only do it  few times before they get burnt and will not do it again.

This whole dynamic is what led me to create my company where the management decisions are Mine not the investor. the investor just gets their Net yield every month and does not engage in these issues.

Seriously here we have multiple companies posting every detailed descriptions on how to manage properties. Who has the time for all this and the ability to decide what is correct and what is not.

Profile photo of MosquiMosqui
    Participant
    @mosqui

The owner has to trust the PM. otherwise they should not work together. The PM should be able to make some decisions, as sometimes they do not have the time to consult everything with the owner.

Profile photo of Alex SCAlex SC
    Participant
    @alex-sc

Mosqui,

Communication between tenant, and management company is vital for rental properties. Losing touch with our clients
    (tenants) would be harmful to both us, and our investors. Making sure the management company has the employees and a system in place to allow growth is important. So we as a property management company always need to maintain a open line of of communication with the tenants.Which I see as a step that should be considered very import for any property management company. The idea of  constant communication is the very reason why an investor uses a management company. This is so they don't have to.

Sure trust is huge issue, you should not work with any one you can't trust. So is running a professional company, that clients would be happy to have you manage their property or properties.

Alex

[email protected]

Profile photo of lawsjslawsjs
    Participant
    @lawsjs

GKCH,
    See, in Australia we still (mostly) live in a world where people treat people as people.

It just doesn’t happen like that (the US) over here. The biggest single problem with Aus guys doing business in the US is that it is based on a philosophy of ‘if I rip the next guy off I have done well’.

I operate in the US successfully, but for all the reasons you mention, I _really_ don’t like the place that much. In the 80’s it was something special. The early 90’s I remember, and I fell in love with fluorescent g-strings and rollerblades. From where I am standing it went downhill from there – IMHO buried in a morass of super expensive personal rights, healthcare and trust fund babies. I cannot communicate with 90% of the US property people I know. Strangely I can communicate with 90% of the Mexicans I know in US property. I don’t understand a heap of what they are actually saying, but I know what they are talking about. One of the greatest compliments I was paid was when I was helping the guys rip up a disgusting floor and this bloke looked at me and said ‘you are no a lazy gringo – you a proper wetback!’

I have said it many times before and I will say it many times again. An Australian/English attitude to life will get you slaughtered in the US. The US and China are way, way off in boondock swamps paddling their own canoes. Thus far I have been successful enough to make it worth my while me being over there. I may well come crashing down and little things like design, simplicity, ‘real’ online banking and treating others as you would treat yourself – and not that god awful utterly meaningless happy clappy lip service kind, either. Who knows? they may, after all, just be passing fads that get me hammered…. A lunatic, is, after all, nothing but a minority of one:)

Participant
    @jayhinrichs

lawsjs

I grew up in San Francisco Bay area, and there was a very famous columnist for the SF Chronicle named Herb Caen, he wrote an editorial type collum on daily life in SF he called it Bagdad by the Bay before we bombed the crap out of Bagdad… And at the end of his life and collum he would constantly compare SF of the 50 and 60's to the current times pretty much exactly as you have portrayed the US in your post.

You come to Portland Oregon were I live and I think you will see a different US than just about any part of the country and it will probably remind you of AUS like no other place in the states.

Its all about demographics and attitude…. Portland average age is 35, I am on the old side but lots of young kids doing their thing in a time warp of sorts.

JLH

@greaterkchomes
    lawsjs wrote:
    GKCH, See, in Australia we still (mostly) live in a world where people treat people as people. It just doesn't happen like that (the US) over here. The biggest single problem with Aus guys doing business in the US is that it is based on a philosophy of 'if I rip the next guy off I have done well'. I operate in the US successfully, but for all the reasons you mention, I _really_ don't like the place that much. In the 80's it was something special. The early 90's I remember, and I fell in love with fluorescent g-strings and rollerblades. From where I am standing it went downhill from there – IMHO buried in a morass of super expensive personal rights, healthcare and trust fund babies. I cannot communicate with 90% of the US property people I know. Strangely I can communicate with 90% of the Mexicans I know in US property. I don't understand a heap of what they are actually saying, but I know what they are talking about. One of the greatest compliments I was paid was when I was helping the guys rip up a disgusting floor and this bloke looked at me and said 'you are no a lazy gringo – you a proper wetback!' I have said it many times before and I will say it many times again. An Australian/English attitude to life will get you slaughtered in the US. The US and China are way, way off in boondock swamps paddling their own canoes. Thus far I have been successful enough to make it worth my while me being over there. I may well come crashing down and little things like design, simplicity, 'real' online banking and treating others as you would treat yourself – and not that god awful utterly meaningless happy clappy lip service kind, either. Who knows? they may, after all, just be passing fads that get me hammered…. A lunatic, is, after all, nothing but a minority of one:)

lawsjs,

I respect your opinion and your frustrations with the US.

I have to disagree with lumping all americans into the pool of people who don't care about others. The US as a majority, has and always will be very charitable. There are countless moments in the US history, where common americans have gone out of their way to assist others. When a problem strikes a neighboring town, the support rolls in nationwide, not just locally. Back in May, we had a tornado rip thru a small town about 150 miles south of KC. It absolutely demolished this town, as it was rated an F5 twister. Within days, semi trucks full of food, medical supplies, clothes…etc, were pooring into that town. 

The point being, it's not debatable that America has it's crooks, but that problem exists worldwide. There are those that will take advantage of others in the US, but that group of people make up such a small percentage of what America is about. As a whole, the US is very charitable, as we continue to lead the globe in donations to those that need it, even though we really can't afford it as a nation.

I am completely aware that there have been overseas investors taken advantage of in this country, and I really wish those parties that were robbed, would pursue legal action against those people or groups. It doesnt have to be that way, and we have laws that will do something about it, but it has to be pursued. I am happy to assist anyone who has been taken advantage of by a group or an individual. If the fraud was committed in Missouri, I employ one of the best law firms in Missouri, they will take action. 

There will always be those that choose the wrong path to making money, whether in be in the US or anywhere else on earth. The words fraud, extortion and embezzlement show up in the dictionary in every language (or at least in principal), because it exists worldwide. The US has it's share of thieves, but so does everywhere else. I have a saying that I always fall back on when dealing with business "Greed clears the path for poor business decisions". Those that chose illegal means to obtain money, are doing simply out of greed, they want it all NOW, and not have to work for it.

John

What I am trying to get across in my posts, is the fact that there are professionals in every state of the country, that do things the right way and the honest way. These companies are not hard to find, if you ask the right questions of those companies. Don't be lulled into thinking because they are the biggest, that they are better, this may be true, but you need to make sure.

Participant
    @jayhinrichs

There are as many Australian middlemen involved in these trasnactions as there are Americans and everyone is taking a slice of the cake in the transaction.. I have seen many a HUD in my lending days that had 3 to 5 participants in the wholesale to retail flip sale to the end buyer.. I think this is well documented on the sale side.

I think the point Lawsjs was trying to make was a little more pointed at the tenants and how they treat properties here in the US.

And this poor treatment of property that is owned by others is magnified on the lower end rentals, thats just a fact.

However I have had upper end rentals that were thouroghly trashed as well just not as common as with lower end from my experience. With our process's we have in place just like KC we mitigate this. However no one is immune

Profile photo of PortpiratePortpirate
    @portpirate

Just a question to the Americans. In Australia, we have a RTA. Rental tenancies authority. This is a government dept which looks after tenancy matters, disputes, etc and also holds all bonds, usually 1 months rent, until the end of the tenancy. The property manager signs off on a form that the home is undamaged, etc and the tenant applies for their bond back from the RTA. Is there something similar in the U.S.?

Couldnt find anything on google.

@greaterkchomes
    Portpirate wrote:
    Just a question to the Americans. In Australia, we have a RTA. Rental tenancies authority. This is a government dept which looks after tenancy matters, disputes, etc and also holds all bonds, usually 1 months rent, until the end of the tenancy. The property manager signs off on a form that the home is undamaged, etc and the tenant applies for their bond back from the RTA. Is there something similar in the U.S.? Couldnt find anything on google.

Portpirate,

All states in the US have laws regarding landlord/tenant relations, these laws vary from state to state. I can speak for KC in this matter in that, they will send city inspectors for complaints by tenants, if repairs are not being made in a timely manner. I have never heard of an "agency" that does what your describing. I believe there is a rental board in the state of California, but I can't be 100% sure on that. As far as Missouri is concerned, deposits are either held by the PM or the owner, if held by the PM, they must be in an non-interest bearing account, and must not be deposited in the operating account. When I am moving a tenant in to a property, we walk thru the property and fill out a checklist of issues, much like a rental car agency. The tenant will sign the checklist, and this becomes the document by which we do the move out inspection, and deduct any repairs from the deposits.

John

Participant
    @lawsjs

I think the point Lawsjs was trying to make was a little more pointed at the tenants and how they treat properties here in the US.

Jay – Yes. Sorry to waffle.

It is also hard to manage managers though. I have always wanted as high end reno’s as possible to try to get the deadbeats out, but it gets lost in translation. In any case 25 years of tenants in Aus has come up with NOTHING like the trashing properties get monthly in the US. And it usually starts with ‘well you didn’t do this, so I got you back’. Even if I didn’t know what it was I wasn’t meant to have done…

US PM is a VERY tough game, you need a partner to look out for your interests. The whole renting attitude is so vastly different – on the managers AND tenants side.

Participant
    @jayhinrichs

Lawsjs

Your exactly right this is why I created my company the way I did. Our property managers are our partners in every sense, they have ownerhsip interest in each house. You would be amazed at the difference in our portfolio is now compared to 3 years ago when I had to deal with multiple PM's in multiple states.

Instead of dealing with all the day to day issues our partners deal with them and the cost of a bad tenant comes OUT of THEIR Pocket. Same with the folks in charge of rehab. They have an ownership interest and any bad workmenship comes out of THEIR pocket.

Its really gives the investor the best protection one can get if they are looking for turn key rentals. Ours are not only turn Key but TRULY fully managed. Our investors only get one thing from us. And thats a check each and every month,

JLH

Participant
    @jayhinrichs
    Portpirate wrote:
    Just a question to the Americans. In Australia, we have a RTA. Rental tenancies authority. This is a government dept which looks after tenancy matters, disputes, etc and also holds all bonds, usually 1 months rent, until the end of the tenancy. The property manager signs off on a form that the home is undamaged, etc and the tenant applies for their bond back from the RTA. Is there something similar in the U.S.? Couldnt find anything on google.

Landlord Tenant issues are handled in the Municipal courts. There are rules and laws that must be followed and there are free legal aid attornies that will represent tenants, But not much help for landlords in this respect.

Participant
    @lawsjs

Jay – I don’t know what exactly you do, but it sounds interesting and I would suggest any Au person looking at buying in the US have a sticky beak at it. I can promise anyone that without very careful tenant management a dream 15%+ return will end vastly less and negative is easy to imagine. A manager with skin in the game is a very sound solution for a foreign investor. As I said before there are many ways to skin a cat, but the last thing anyone wants (who is 17+ hours away) is to be constantly having to solve silly but very time consuming and potentially expensive problems.

I am not saying you _can’t_ get good US management, but what I have found so far is not what I would have expected from my Aussie experiences where it really is very rare to get a bad manager/bad tenant.

Participant
    @jayhinrichs

lawsjs

Its the same in the US, if you have a property with virtually perfect management and tenants your buying what we call Investment grade real Estate…. In the letting of office's its called an A property as compared to B class and C class then D and lower which is properties in the Hood.

Examples of investment grade properties are, Top flight Mobile Home parks in a major metro area of the west Coast LA SF PDX SEA.  These properties will trade at a 5 to 6 cap…. Same with larger apartment complexe's that cater to the upper end renter. So cash on cash those are lower returns than just leaving your money in the bank at home.  How many Aussies are going to buy US property that return 4 to 7% net or less. I venture not many although these are sold everyday to US REITS and other syndicators.

However these properties are not without isses but are mitigated by Iron fisted corporate management.

The issues we are talking about is Single family which is a very fractionalized rental product that has just come into vogue in the last 20 years. then you take it the next step and invest in lower grade properties that the masses can afford IE 20 to 50k Houses in the mid west and Now you have a whole investment community with little to no experince ( IE buying their first rental) Absentee owners. And a very difficult tenant base as is well documented here on this site.

Our investment program is very successful with US investors simply because they know the risks, virtually all of our investors own rental properties that they manage and are burnt out. They want the leverage of the great buys we bring  to them with the fully managed aspect of our program.

There is no other company in the US that does what we do in the single family space… Each and every turn key company does the exact same thing. They buy wholesale do rehab and sell to investors and either introduce you to a property manager or they have management in House which is a profit center for them ( as it should be no one wants to work for free) And once settlement occurs they have made whatever amount of profit they are going to make they have no other financial involvement its all on the investor. KC talks about suing and fraud and such. But I can tell you thats not reality, unless you bought a house that the seller claimed was rehabbed and turned out it was not and was a vacant shell ( which has happened to many foriegn investors).. If the house is as represented and your returns are not as promised there really is nothing you can do. You can sue but the cost are far to great to litigate over a 50k investment.

And like you state the claims of 15% net yeilds and 25% gross yeilds are just that claims there is no way that absentee owners paying for compitant management and maintaining their properties will make those kind of returns at the price they are paying for the properties. Like I have stated many times these returns can happen for a short while but are not sustainable over the life of the investment. I have 30 years at this I know what things cost and I buy my stock for less money than 90% of the investment public. And unlike virtually every company in the US selling these properteis I own every single one of the properties that my investors invest in. we went back and forth with a turn key guy from Detroit in a nother thread at the end of the day he admitted to owning no one rental in his area.. All I can say is thats a person or company that knows how risky the investment is in his market otherwise  would they not at least own some properties? stands to reason no.

Anyway to answer your question our investments are set up up where our investors are our partners. We stay in the deal manage it with no fee's whatsoever, we handle all maintenance and when we sell we earn some equity in the property.
    Our investors have at least 4 individuals in the transaction with them for the life of the transaction and all in the key areas.
    Myself for overall management and accounting, our partners on the ground that handle the PM and rehab. We are all owners and partners and like you stated in your previous post if your going to ensure yourself of not having a big problem and a lot of sleepless nights its a nice way to invest. especially the first time investor. Of course the Investor gets the lion share of the return. We make our Money with being the part owner of many many homes.

Participant
    @lawsjs

I only have ever played in the 8cap pond – I failed catastrophically when I ventured outside it. To my way of thinking, I can spend $2+m in Aus and get decent commercial returns or 600k and get the same in premium areas of LA. LA has significant upside for me because no one in my market has what I would consider ‘taste’ and that allows me to turn an 8cap into a 13+cap. In Aus I would spend up to $20k presenting a property well and get the comment ‘new paint, new floor, new kitchen, new bath’. Aesthetically in LA I do the same but spend maybe $8k and get ‘wow – this is AMAZING – we have never seen anything like this before’. If I can jack the rents on a 12u from $700 – $1400 after spending 8k a door I figure it is worth fighting every archaic system the US can throw at me to get.. And the AUD will fall – as sure as steve god made Macintosh Apples:)

Its taken me a decade to get people who work for me and do what I want. These US guys (above) do seem to have good points, work WITH someone and you won’t (hopefully) have to fight them. It is very different in the US to Aus, but work the angles and it can work well…

Participant
    @jayhinrichs

lawsjs,

Your in a different league of invetments, There is virtually no talk on this forum of Multi family, or investment grade US real Estate much less west coast. Its all the same mid west south east single families that the first time investor can get into and feels comfortable with.

pretty impressive if you took a building and doubled the rents. I bought a MH park a few years back in Portland that was owned by the same family for 30 years it was 50 spaces so just a little one.. they had kept the rents at 200 and 225 per pad for years and years. within a year of owning and operating it I had the rents to market which was 425 per pad.  then sold it to a large MH portfolio buyer who bought it at a 5 cap.
    This company owns probably 100 million worth of parks all debt free so for a no worry 5% return its a pretty nice business. No where near the management issues.

Now buy a low end MH park in Texas or back east and your nightmare is just beginning, these type of properties are were the real low lifer's go to live. Only way to own and run one of those is to live on site. with your nice tenants

JLH

Participant
    @lawsjs

JLH
    “…I grew up in San Francisco Bay area, and there was a very famous columnist for the SF Chronicle named Herb Caen, he wrote an editorial type collum on daily life in SF he called it Bagdad by the Bay before we bombed the crap out of Bagdad… And at the end of his life and collum he would constantly compare SF of the 50 and 60’s to the current times pretty much exactly as you have portrayed the US in your post.
    You come to Portland Oregon were I live and I think you will see a different US than just about any part of the country and it will probably remind you of AUS like no other place in the states.
    Its all about demographics and attitude…. Portland average age is 35, I am on the old side but lots of young kids doing their thing in a time warp of sorts…”

I missed that response of yours (not a totally avid reader) but you are so right. It started in the UK in the 70’s – they now openly refer to ‘pre immigration England’ and is starting in Australia now. There is slightly more freedom of speech here and in the UK so we can still say such things, but it is a problem that no one seems to refer to in the states anymore…..

JLH again – Just buying my first storage facility now (in aus). I like van parks too, but this seemed simpler to start with – Ive wanted this particular one for years. This one also is letting out space at genuine 1990 prices too, so hopefully I can do in short order what you did to your park. Like your work!!!

“…Only way to own and run one of those is to live on site. with your nice tenants”…. and your gun collection and monthly subscription to ‘Soldier of Fortune’ magazine:):)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.