All Topics / Overseas Deals / A Property Manager’s Guide To Buying the Right Property!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of GreaterKCHomesGreaterKCHomes
    @greaterkchomes

As a turn key provider, I am always looking for the next great property to run thru our program. I have 5 rules that every property must meet to even be considered. I will list these in order of importance, as I see it. I will then explain why I say Yes or No to anyone property.

I view properties based on 1 factor, and that is it's ability to rent. Most of my clients are interested in buying and holding, therefore these properties must be able to rent quickly and maintain occupancy for a number of years.

For my clients that have answered in the interview process that they are looking to sell this property at some point down the road, I will look for a property in an area that will appreciate, when the market returns.

For the very fact that not all investors have the same exit strategy, I DO NOT have an inventory of homes, to sell. My properties are done on a per order basis, so I am not selling a property to someone that DOES NOT truly meet their strategy, and they have a bad experience.

These are very important factors to know, before anyone buys a property.

1. Location – I will not ever buy a property in the "war zone", they simply are not worth the effort. To many break ins, and very hard to maintain occupancy with any decent tenants. They must be on a street with less than 20% vacancy on the same block. This simply means, if there are 15 houses on the street, there cannot be more than 3 empty or abandoned properties. The reason behind this, it is very difficult to rent a house on a street that has board up after board up. The tenants are really nervous about these streets, as these abandoned homes, typically invite trouble. The tenants do not feel secure in these locations. The property must have active bus line within 1 mile of it's location, again my exit polling has shown that nearly 30% of tenants do not have reliable transportation. The first rule of marketing is and always will be, appeal to the masses, and you will do fine.

2. Size – Tenants in KC are obsessed with square footage, even though they dont necessairy need it. I am constantly being told that they are moving, because it's to small. They are fully aware of the extra costs involved in heating and cooling larger homes, but they are just not concerned with that aspect of it.
    For this reason alone, I will not purchase any 3 bedroom home that is smaller than 1200 square feet. I do purchase homes that are mixed in their build design, ranch to split level, as some tenants do not like stairs. I do not ever purchase homes without basements, there are a small percentage of tenants that do not care whether or not it has a basement, but my data shows an overwhelming number of them want a basement. Again appeal to the masses. This is the midwest, we do get tornadoes, it's a built in safety device for them, and it acts as additional storage. Bottom line for me, if they want it, they will get it. Not to mention, it's considerably cheaper to make repairs to plumbing when there is a basement versus a crawl space or slab.

When looking at the bedrooms, they must be at least 9×10 or I do not buy. This one is huge, Section 8 says a bedroom is a bedroom if it is a minimum of 7x7x7, has an operating window and a heat and light source. That's it! Notice I did not say anything about a closet or even a bedroom door, yes, Section 8 will count a room if it meets the size requirments and does not have a door. Now needless to say, we don't leave bedroom doors off. But what Section 8 says, and what tenant will rent, is night and day apart. Tenants do NOT appreciate small bedrooms, and if they have the time, will look for a home with larger bedrooms. Most tenants will either rent or purchase large bedroom furniture, so a 7×7 bedroom just won't cut it.  I know there are homes rented with small bedrooms, but I would venture a bet, that it took some time to get them rented.

3. Renovation – Can I renovate this home with "The Renovation", and make it appear to be modern. The Renovation is performed on each and every property, and was created by exit polling of tenants. The bottom line here, I cannot keep my renovated properties on the market, great problem to have.

For this reason, I do not consider any of the following properties:
      a. Homes that have had additions and give you the appearance of being chopped up. If the home does not flow well, I am just not interested.
      b. Homes that don't fit with the rest of the neighborhood, I don't want the sore thumb of the block. The fact is most tenants are not unique in what they want or desire, they tend to go with the masses, so I will appeal to that.
      c. Any home at any price with any sign of foundation issues, this is a guaranteed LOSS! The cost to properly repair a foundation can easily reach into 5 figures, depending on how bad it is. Just because it's a crack now, should tell you that it's NOT always going to be a crack, there is a reason it cracked in the first place, the foundation is shifting. Now I know, there are "experts" (used very loosely), that can fix anything for a fraction of what it would take to do it correctly, but good luck finding those people, when it's time for a warranty call, because it's leaking again. It makes more sense to go look for another house, it's not like there is not enough of them out there.

4. Neighborhood – As mentioned before, I do not buy in "war zones", but there are other factors to consider. Do I have a registered sex offender living within 2 miles of this home? Can I drive a 4 block radius and see drug activity in plain sight, this just doesnt happen in the bad areas. What do the houses look like in that 4 block radius, are they mostly owner occupied or rentals, if they are rentals, are they being kept up? This is important to give you the sense of what the neighborhood will look like in 2 years or more, again, doing what's best for my client. If it's a rental house, what types of cars are out front, if they are renting a house for $700 a month, and they are driving a $60,000 escalade, does that not make you wonder where they are getting their money from? I check owner records on every house I see that has a really expensive vehicle out in front, real fast and easy way to see if it's a rental or not.

I know there is no 100% way to completely avoid drug activity, it's just a fact of life. But if you take basic steps that will not cost you more than about 10 minutes of your time, you can avoid the very obvious trouble areas, that by the address give you the sense they are in good locations. The address means absolutely nothing to me, I never assume it's fine based on that alone.

5. Price – Yes this is my least important factor. I am not looking for the best price out there on every deal, the fact is there is more than enough product to choose from. My most important factors are above. Yes I need to be able to renovate these homes and still make a profit, but I would rather pass on the lower priced ones that will generate a larger profit to me, in exchange for misleading my clients.

I hope you can use this information in the best way you see fit, I am not proclaiming it to be the full proof way of doing house searching, its just the method I use and have had good success with.

John

Profile photo of jayhinrichsjayhinrichs
    Participant
    @jayhinrichs

John,

You have no doubt scarred the  the heck out the the AU investor who has bought in KC or other upper mid west homes., I would venture to guess not many of them would contimplate half of the maladies that are common to your market, much less know how to indentify them and deal with them.

I would think the chance of finding streets with only 20% rentals on them in the price points your working in to acheive the net returns IE 50 to 70k per property 15% returns which is bandied about on this site, is rare if not impossible.

The fact is these neighborhoods over the last 20 years have turned from owner occ to majority rentals.

The mid west towns all have about 40 to 60% of the existing homes as rentals, its a fact. Compare that to Oregon were I live and our rentals in the single family realm is about 10% maybe a little higher with the economic collapes.

so how would one find a house and a street  with only 20% rental houses in your market at your price points,  Now if you were talking 200k and above KC thats another matter.

However I for one totally agree with what your saying, At the end of the day its the investors cash, and your doing the best you can to help them, but if the house gets hit it gets hit and you have to deliver the bad news.

Profile photo of GreaterKCHomesGreaterKCHomes
    @greaterkchomes

Jay,

I might of mistyped that information, I am not looking for only 20% rentals, I don't want to be on a street with more than 20% boardups or just simply abandoned properties that are not be taken care of.

You are correct KC has over 40% rental base, but it's not hard to find quality properties in quality areas. I look at approx. 30 houses a week, and I can easily qualify half of those to buy. This city is so stretched out, that are streets literally change block to block, in fact one of our most troubled zip codes in terms of major crime, is also home to high 6 figure homes..To do proper due dilligence in KC, you have to almost ignore the zip codes, and literally look at the street and a 4 block radius, this will tell you so much more than a zip code could ever tell you.

John

Participant
    @jayhinrichs
    GreaterKCHomes wrote:

Jay,

I might of mistyped that information, I am not looking for only 20% rentals, I don't want to be on a street with more than 20% boardups or just simply abandoned properties that are not be taken care of.

You are correct KC has over 40% rental base, but it's not hard to find quality properties in quality areas. I look at approx. 30 houses a week, and I can easily qualify half of those to buy. This city is so stretched out, that are streets literally change block to block, in fact one of our most troubled zip codes in terms of major crime, is also home to high 6 figure homes..To do proper due dilligence in KC, you have to almost ignore the zip codes, and literally look at the street and a 4 block radius, this will tell you so much more than a zip code could ever tell you.

John

John,

Good points, still staggering to think of 20% board ups on a street or abandoned homes.

Our market here in PDX is very much like, as in block to block. But our houses pretty much start at 150k and up for anything decent and rent for 800 to 1200 depending.

for cash flow West coast is tough. And we run into the same problems with tenants. Although I just had my first condenser unit stolen, last month. First time anyone in my area has even heard of it. You will not find one condenser unit caged in PDX a town of 2 million in the metro plex.

Profile photo of GreaterKCHomesGreaterKCHomes
    @greaterkchomes
    jayhinrichs wrote:
    GreaterKCHomes wrote:

Jay,

John

John,

Good points, still staggering to think of 20% board ups on a street or abandoned homes.

Our market here in PDX is very much like, as in block to block. But our houses pretty much start at 150k and up for anything decent and rent for 800 to 1200 depending.

for cash flow West coast is tough. And we run into the same problems with tenants. Although I just had my first condenser unit stolen, last month. First time anyone in my area has even heard of it. You will not find one condenser unit caged in PDX a town of 2 million in the metro plex.

Believe me, I get excited when I only see 20% boardups. There are many streets in KC that nearly 80-90% of homes are boarded up, or simply being ignored. An absolute nightmare for any property manager, you can't give the houses away like that.

The stolen condensers are a major issue here, I have tried every trick in the book. I have put them in cages, poured a 6" concrete base and drove anchors in, elevated them 8' off of the ground, and they still were taken. I actually called the fire department and asked them if I could put the emergency disconnect in the basement, I knew they would say no, but I had to ask.

I have come up with a solution so far that is working quite well, to this point anyway. I never have them installed until the tenant is moving in, then I install dummy video cameras on the house looking down at the condenser. These cameras actually have a blinking LED light, and actually will imitate a motion detector and move when you move. So far so good! The down side, they run on batteries,and I have to send my maintenance man out there monthly to change the batteries.

John

Profile photo of Alex SCAlex SC
    Participant
    @alex-sc

Those sound like great options for security. For me I worked in lower income areas.I just see them better for local hands on guys. The out of state investor ,buying a nicer home in a better neighborhood lowers the risk factors.  I call them the what If"s factors.Now don't get me wrong. I still buy and sell homes in those areas. Only to investors who understand exactly what they are buying and the risk associated with those. I think when I need to set up camera's, not finish the properties until some one moves in. Already has me wondering why I would buy in a areas regardless of price.

Again every one has a different investing strategy.. I just choose to work with nicer homes in nicer areas. This is a new model for us.We did the lower income homes and still do.I just think buyers  should be very aware when buying in these types of areas.

I was just told I can pick up blocks of homes in Buffalo NY. I already know that means buying and cleaning up a large area.Some times for investors the risk out weighs the reward. I will pass.

again just my two cents

Alex 

Participant
    @jayhinrichs
    ALExSC wrote:
    Those sound like great options for security. For me I worked in lower income areas.I just see them better for local hands on guys. The out of state investor ,buying a nicer home in a better neighborhood lowers the risk factors.  I call them the what If"s factors.Now don't get me wrong. I still buy and sell homes in those areas. Only to investors who understand exactly what they are buying and the risk associated with those. I think when I need to set up camera's, not finish the properties until some one moves in. Already has me wondering why I would buy in a areas regardless of price.

Again every one has a different investing strategy.. I just choose to work with nicer homes in nicer areas. This is a new model for us.We did the lower income homes and still do.I just think buyers  should be very aware when buying in these types of areas.

I was just told I can pick up blocks of homes in Buffalo NY. I already know that means buying and cleaning up a large area.Some times for investors the risk out weighs the reward. I will pass.

again just my two cents

Alex 

Alex,

Buffallo and a few other NY towns are poster child cities in the US for foriegners getting totally ripped off. they even passed laws that preclude out of area investors from buying the properties and or MANDATORY disclosures that they do at their own risk, Much like the war zones of Detroit, Philly, Cleveland , KC, and virtually any rust belt city,

Yet people advertise 20k homes that rent for 800 and some sucker buys them just no knowing what they are getting into.

Give me a call in the next day or 2 we can compare notes nice meeting you in LA last weekend, I had a meeting with D Scott yesterday he said you look at houses with bare feet, he was impressed.

Participant
    @jayhinrichs
    GreaterKCHomes wrote:
    jayhinrichs wrote:
    GreaterKCHomes wrote:

Jay,

John

John,

Believe me, I get excited when I only see 20% boardups. There are many streets in KC that nearly 80-90% of homes are boarded up, or simply being ignored. An absolute nightmare for any property manager, you can't give the houses away like that.

The stolen condensers are a major issue here, I have tried every trick in the book. I have put them in cages, poured a 6" concrete base and drove anchors in, elevated them 8' off of the ground, and they still were taken. I actually called the fire department and asked them if I could put the emergency disconnect in the basement, I knew they would say no, but I had to ask.

I have come up with a solution so far that is working quite well, to this point anyway. I never have them installed until the tenant is moving in, then I install dummy video cameras on the house looking down at the condenser. These cameras actually have a blinking LED light, and actually will imitate a motion detector and move when you move. So far so good! The down side, they run on batteries,and I have to send my maintenance man out there monthly to change the batteries.

John

John,

We need to come up with a lojac system and then the cops have to have the balls to actually track them down and arrest the vilians. Or we need Dog the Bounty hunter on the case:)

In all seriousness, the unsuspecting public just does not realize the amount of condenser theft. Its literally 100,000's of unit s are stolen in the US annually, and if you have an older unit and it does not have the up to date freon system you then need to not only replace your condenser but the whole system to the tune of 3 to 4k.

I was at a closing in a very nice suberb of Atlanta 4 weeks ago, and I asked the closing attorney why it was so hot in his office, Low and behold all 3 of their commerical units were stolen the night before.

Need to put the units on the roof is my opinon and or buy the  interal ductless units that do not use condenser units. We use those here in Oregon in New construction and they work pretty good, of course not as stifling hot here were we live.

The reality is in the pond we are all fishing in, your going to have stuff stolen period. I do invest in some of the smaller mid west towns these are cash flow plays only really no capital growth but the crime is non existant, most forigen investor would probably not invest in these areas as they are communities that are just not well known as the major cities in the US.

All in all these are much better realistic conversations we are having than what I have seen with the US providers who are just blue sky and will not divulge the realities.  It does not one any good to have an investor have a poor experince. We have already been there done that with the US investors that tried and failed at these rental properties over the last 5 to 7 years.

Think of were all these foreclosures come from they come from LANDLORDS letting them go back to the bank because they are tired of feeding them.

Again nice frank discussions.

Profile photo of Alex SCAlex SC
    Participant
    @alex-sc

Jay LOL yes I  AM A VERY SIMPLE SOUTHERN BOY. ..one it was good meeting up with you but was better listening to you.Caught a few minutes of your seminar. Please send me your contact number .Email it to me if you can…

Alex

[email protected]

And yes most of these low income rentals  in rough areas are back on the market  because the first round of investors found out it did not work….

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.