All Topics / Help Needed! / need a few opinion from you guys and gals

Viewing 7 posts - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

There are more factors at play than simply "oh should I buy a property or not". 

The UK's economy for instance.  Opens its doors to every nation that joins the EU, and provides unemployment benefits from day 1, and eontinues ven after a person leaves the country (seriously).  Banks offering loans at over 100% lvr so the new home owner can buy the house and some new furniture too with no money down at all.  Hmm.

Aussie mortgage holders going under.  Why.  Greed perhaps.  High LVRs perhaps.  Or perhaps the silly notion that you must only buy inner city property that provides you with a massive mortgage and small rental return.  When you sit own and think sensibly and look for property that goes up steadily in value and provides a half decent rental return, and get over the fact it is not in the "critical 5km radius of the capity city", then you start to open your mind to more possibilities <<wink>>

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of GetRichOrDieTryingGetRichOrDieTrying
    @getrichordietrying

You have to give me a bigger wink Jack.

Maybe a pointing finger and GPS location lol

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Seeing as you're in Melbourne, I'll point you to two options within driving distance of where you reside.  Look at properties in Ballarat and Geelong.  Even better if they are within a 2 min drive of the hospital.  Acquire something sturdy that just looks a little bit ugly, pretty it up a bit with some paint, changing cupboard doorhandles or whatever the case may be, and hike the rent up.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of JackFlashJackFlash
    @jackflash
    GetRichOrDieTrying wrote:
    You have to give me a bigger wink Jack.

Maybe a pointing finger and GPS location lol

I’ll save the wink and point the finger for you. No GPS required.

So what would my advice be to a young fella with a young family who’s reasonably comfortable at the mo. There was an old american guy, 90’s I think who recently died. He was something of an investor legend over there. Prior to dropping off the perch, his last interview I think, he was asked what his secrete to success was and the most valuable thing he’d learnt over the years.

Simple he said, “patience”

Given the way the global economy is heading and the fact I think the lunatics may well be running the asylum, crunch time may well be just around the corner. Jez I’m not even confident we can make it to Xmas without a meltdown. We’ll know more after this month if Italy refinances successfully or not.

I’m a “plan for worst hope for the best” kinda guy so I would go defensive. Maybe get rid of the com prop and down size the mortgage a little and poke some into precious metal (buy physical) and keep a little cash on hand then wait.

If you look around these forums you’ll find the more astute investors have been doing this for more than a year now. They’ve rebalanced their portfolios and deleveraged down to more sustainable levels. They’ve kept the best performing and best positioned properties. A lot of the downside in the current market is attributed to investors getting out or rejigging.

My gut feeling is that residential won’t be a flyer once the dust settles. It’s going to take a while (possible decades) for markets to recover but that’s not to say there won’t be some very good buying opportunities. I think in the coming years you’re going to see longer investment timelines than are currently the norm. In fact we may revert to a more traditional conservative investment philosophy similar to that which existed prior to the boom years.

I consider understanding global macro, and to a lesser extent, micro trends essential to your toolkit to prevent being blindsided by national or even state economic/financial interference. A lot of the more aggressive investors here will get nailed quite badly in the coming correction because the either don’t understand or worse simply don’t care about external factors than can affect them. Many right these off as simply negatives that must be ignored in able to stick to the “stay positive” mantra of hard core property investing.

But if you still have a masochistic PI urge then I would probably look to go commercial. I definitely wouldn’t look at industrial or retail. If I was buying commercial I would want something with an existing long term tenant. For example in my area a large ind block sold with Coates Hire as the tenant. They had a long term lease of 10yrs with right of renewal for another 10.

Anyway you get the picture.

Patience!!!

Cheers Jack
    PS: I like your front page. Up there with the best I’ve seen

Profile photo of Mick CMick C
    Participant
    @shape

wow this tread sure took off!!!

Not sure why your accountant gave you this advice– doesnt sound right, but he/she must have a reason behind it? ( i hope lol)

Regards
    Michael

Mick C | Shape Home Loans
    http://www.shapehomeloans.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Same Banks. Better Rates. Served With a Passion.

Profile photo of crustycrusty
    Participant
    @crusty
    JacM wrote:

Agreed.  New accountant required.  Your accountant clearly doesn't get it.

Also agreed get another accountant,     effectively you will need to to earn about  30% more to have the same amount of money left in your pocket to pay the  for the IP,     than  you will if you pay off the PPOR.

Profile photo of GetRichOrDieTryingGetRichOrDieTrying
    @getrichordietrying

Oh it’s my fault for not paying attention when she was explaining things.
    I called her to double check on things and basically she’s saying what you guys are saying.
    To pay the ppor 1st then just pay interest only for ip.

Viewing 7 posts - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.