All Topics / Help Needed! / 250k CASH !!!! WHAT TO DO WITH IT ?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • Profile photo of Ash88Ash88
    Participant
    @ash88

Hi Guys… I am in a real situation at the moment , the thing is  my Mom has just given me 250K to buy my frist home . She doesnt want me to take a Loan out cause she says banks are bad. My mum says that I should buy a 3 bdr house with LAND like a backyard , not far from Melbourne CBD close to all amenities for myself then later on after 12 months rent i2 rooms out , or subdivide the property …
    What Im confused is if I go with what my mum says  then, the  3 bdr house with big backyard In St Albans is costing around 400k, for that ill have to take a loan out for 150k which will take me around atleast 5 years to pay off with my mums help of course .
    Instead If I  buy a 2 bdr apartment close to the city costs me 270k, and take loan out for 150k to buy a IP
    Or, should I buy the 3bdr with 100-150 k deposit  to buy the 3 bdr house and use the remaining 100k to buy 2 IP by depositing  50 k each
     Im very confused as to what to choose and what not….. Please if anyone had this sort of sitution can you please tell me what did you do or could someone  with experience and knowledge help me . Please…

Kind regards

Ash

Ps: my long term goal is to own as many properties as possible and rent em out

Profile photo of Josh AthertonJosh Atherton
    @josh-atherton

Hi Ash,

also something to consider is any tax that you have to reduce. Its not why you buy property but it helps you understand what might be right for you. Your wage/salary will also determine what you can do in regards to lending.

The banks arent bad, its important to distinguish between good debt and bad debt. Without banks you most likely wont get to your goal of owning as many properties as you possibly can.

remember to diversify your portfolio also.

Make sure that the cash is in your PPR and then leverage against that, making as much interest as possible a tax deduction when used for investment purposes.

Profile photo of Ryan McLeanRyan McLean
    Participant
    @ryan-mclean

The biggest thing you have to think about is NOT the banks or the lenders…it’s your MUM.

People always give gifts (especially big gifts) with invisible strings attached. It seems your mum isn’t giving you money to do what you want with it. She is giving you money to do what SHE wants with it. So your easiest option is to just buy a 2-3 bedroom house for as close to the $250k as possible. Live in it or rent it out.

As time passes and the property goes up in value you could then borrow against the equity to re invest. That way you aren’t touching any of your mums money (cos in her mind it is still her money) you are only borrowing against the added value on top of your mums money.

Money always gets funny when you mix it with family. Keep it simple and avoid being too greedy. You don’t need to “get rich quick”. You can use your mums money to get into the market and then use the growth/rental income you get to grow your portfolio over time.

Ryan McLean
    Check out my list of Top Ten Property Investing Books Reviewed

Ryan McLean | On Property
    http://onproperty.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m
    Ash88 wrote:

Ps: my long term goal is to own as many properties as possible and rent em out

Hi Ash

If that's the long term goal then you will have to borrow money at some point. Banks can be a pain – no doubt about it. But at the end of the day, if they weren't lending us money, we wouldn't be able to purchase properties.

You need to map out a plan – $250k is a lot of money, you really need to ensure that you spend it properly.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of Ryan McLeanRyan McLean
    Participant
    @ryan-mclean

Let us know what you decide

Ryan McLean | On Property
    http://onproperty.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of xdrewxdrew
    Participant
    @xdrew

Ash88,

If you arent prepped yet for dealing with bank loans.. go the other way.

Build yourself an asset and income base. So regardless of your job situation .. you can approach them with your rental income and debt free assets.

If your goal is to be a long term property investor owning lots of property .. you are going to need to be able to borrow money.

Dont be scared of borrowing. If you are going to deal with sharks .. learn what to wear in the water.
    Get the experience and the education you need now. So you can work out how to make the best decisions.

Read Steve's books on property. Read other books on property. Get the ideas .. get the advice. So you can make your own best decisions.

From other people's mistakes and correct decisions taken.

Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest

Helluva Mum, helluva head start.
    Nice problem to have.
    Ryan’s on the money – Get full details on your Mum’s plan n work with her and learn fast as Xdrew suggests..
    This forum’s a good start.
    You’re pulling the real monopoly board outa the box now. Exciting times have started.
    BTW – how old are you and what’s your income ? (so ppl here can assist you further.)

Cheers
    thecrest

thecrest | Tony Neale - Statewide Motel Brokers
    http://www.statewidemotelbrokers.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of Ash88Ash88
    Participant
    @ash88

HI guys thank you so much for replying back … I really appreciate your help and guidance… I spoke to my Mum , and she still wants me to borrow  as less i can for my first house or just buy it outright so that we are not paying a lot of interest  to the bank ..
    But what I want to do is buy a small unit  a 2bdr around 250k, with 100k deposit  and take 30 year loan , and leave the remaining in a offset account and use it later as I want to buy land in the new estate that will be released in 2014 in Maribyrnong and build my PPOR there and put the first property on rent .  DO you guys think what im trying to do is Sensible and a good strategy .. ? this is where me and my mum have an argument at …. 
     Im 25 single .. got a permanent job for 48k, can borrow upto 250k , no Debt at all .. except for a 5000k credit card .

thanks heaps guys .. appreciate you sharing your knowledge and experience

Participant
    @thecrest

Everything is in your favour, time, income, attitude, family support, family $ support, willingness to learn.
    And thanks for the larger type font, shows great compassion and consideration for us older people, but you might like to scale it down a bit for the majority.

Our oldest citizens type generation didn’t used to make their money work hard, because financial education was not as widespread as it is today. Then the attitude was just keep paying off the home loan over 25 years and try to save as well, heaven knows how they did that.
    But it meant they had lazy equity, as they paid off their home, which was doing nothing. You can see the comparison.

There are safe limits to how much debt you take on, and you need expert help to formulate financial plans to find out where that limit is for your own unique circumstances.
    Prudent Planning – That’s what the difference is between punters and investors.

Good luck, exciting times ahead for you, surround yourself with a strong team like family, accountant, financial planner, finance broker, solicitor, learn like mad, plan carefully and only trust those in your inner circle.

Cheers
    thecrest

Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of mcgrandlesmcgrandles
    @mcgrandles

hi I'm a mum and we don't know everything but we will always give advice (that's what mums do ) if your just looking for an investment then look in sa goolwa middleton and surrounds you will get value for your money in these areas

Profile photo of N@thanN@than
    Participant
    @n-than
    Ash88 wrote:
    But what I want to do is buy a small unit a 2bdr around 250k, with 100k deposit and take 30 year loan , and leave the remaining in a offset account and use it later as I want to buy land in the new estate that will be released in 2014 in Maribyrnong and build my PPOR there and put the first property on rent .

Hi Ash88,

In regards to the above, if that is what you are set on doing you are better off only using the least amount possible as a deposit instead of 100K. Approx 50K if you want to avoid LMI. Have an IO loan and have the rest of your money in the offset account. This way when you go to buy your PPOR you can move all your money out of the offset account and into the new loan as this wouldn't be tax deductible. When you rent out your first house the interest you will be charged on this will now be deductible. (200K loan assuming the 50K or less deposit)

Good luck with it all.

Cheers,
    Nathan

Profile photo of shoooshooshoooshoo
    @shoooshoo

many what kind of mum is that? :)

Participant
    @jamie-m
    nguli wrote:
    Ash88 wrote:
    But what I want to do is buy a small unit a 2bdr around 250k, with 100k deposit and take 30 year loan , and leave the remaining in a offset account and use it later as I want to buy land in the new estate that will be released in 2014 in Maribyrnong and build my PPOR there and put the first property on rent .

Hi Ash88,

In regards to the above, if that is what you are set on doing you are better off only using the least amount possible as a deposit instead of 100K. Approx 50K if you want to avoid LMI. Have an IO loan and have the rest of your money in the offset account. This way when you go to buy your PPOR you can move all your money out of the offset account and into the new loan as this wouldn't be tax deductible. When you rent out your first house the interest you will be charged on this will now be deductible. (200K loan assuming the 50K or less deposit)

Good luck with it all.

Cheers,
    Nathan

Good advice from Nathan in my opinion.

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @ash88

HI people… thanks for all your replies… you all have been awesome…  Could someone please let me know why woud a IO loan be better than P+I as I woudl ike to hold the property for as long as possible..
    @terry , I really want to do what you say in relation to free up as much cash I can for my PPOR.. However My Mum is Adamant on getting a house  with a bit on land at the back , anyways …

Do you guys think what Im doing is right like getting a unit f  as my First Home around 200k, taking about 100-120 k loan P + I, then putting The remaining money in an offset account for about an year and then get a second unit with around with around 70k deposit which will be my new PPOR for some time, Put my first Unit on rent , then build my PPOR  with a deposit of $ 100k… and put the second unit on rent as well…

Is all that Im thinking possible and am I choosing the right path or am I just dreaming that things are just gonna fall in place…

@ terry what do you mean by properly documenting my loan so that my partner doesnt get a peice of my cake if things turn ugly ?

Thanks people… Youve all  been very kind…

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

With a P&I loan you are required to pay interest and a portion of the principal every month whether you want to or not.  Alternatively you could pay interest only and put the extra that you otherwise would have forked out per month on a P&I into an offset account against your P&I loan.  The end result is THE SAME.  In other words if you part with the same amount of money each month then neither option will see you paying more interest over the years than the other.  Here is where the difference comes in:

If you put your "extra cash" into an offset acount, you can withdraw it in large volumes at a moment's notice without permission.  This is good if you wish to use the money as a deposit for the purchase of another property.  Or indeed if your intention for the property changes (eg if it started out as a PPOR and you want to convert it to an IP later it is a very bad idea to pay off the loan or the bank interest will never be deductible on your tax return).  Remember also that once you hand money over to pay off the principal, if you wih to redraw on it or take a loan out against it, there will be fees involved.  In other words you are throwing money away.

As Terry always advocates, always go with IO with offset account…. UNLESS you are a person that cannot control your spending and don't trust yourself not to dip into the offset account for silly purchases.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

I think there must be 2 threads on this exact same topic – or deja vu??

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Participant
    @jamie-m
    Terryw wrote:
    I think there must be 2 threads on this exact same topic – or deja vu??

That's what 11,000 posts will do to you….you've probably answered the same question 68 times over the last 10 years :)

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @thecrest

That’s probably a good description of deja vu – 2 threads on the same topic – except it’s in your head.
    cheers
    thecrest

Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Here it is
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com/forums/property-investing/general-property/4337829

I replied on that thread and he copied and pasted an answer from that to this.

I am not so mad after all.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Participant
    @ash88

lol… terry youre right , Youre right here as well.. I started two posts cause I dint know where exactly my situation fits…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.