All Topics / Finance / Interest Only and Loan Structures

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of lalor1854lalor1854
    @lalor1854

Hello,

I currently have an investment property that is P&I with offset (was PPOR) and I am looking at building on two blocks of land which are IO int he next few months.

My question is if I convert my current investment property to IO and hence slightly reduce my cash outflow, should I continue to place any excess cash into my offset account (and reduce my interest, hence almost reaching positvely geared) or should I place the money into an internet savings account.

I am well into the second highest tax bracket for tax purposes.

My dilemma is should I reduce my tax deductible interest or should I generate interest that I have to pay tax on?

any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Do you have a spouse on a low income? maybe a savings account in their name would mean no tax is payable.

I suggest you just work it out – the different scenarios. eg $1000 off the loan means xx less interest = YY more tax. Is this great than the amount you would receive if you used the savings account?

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of lalor1854lalor1854
    @lalor1854

My spouse is not on a low income. but thanks anyway

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

As Terry mentioned merely work out the marginal Tax rate on both scenarios and see which one stacks up better.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.