All Topics / Help Needed! / Are we kidding ourselves?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Profile photo of DragonflyzDragonflyz
    @dragonflyz

Hi…

I have been watching, reading and learning from the forums for several weeks now. What a great community, I can’t get enough of the shared knowledge and experience I have tapped into here… thanks everyone for sharing.

My husband and I are new to IP purchasing and we are very excited.
    We would like some advice from those who have travelled and survived the journey so far.

We are in the process of buying our first IP (bank as conditionally approved) with a 95% loan + LMI = $287k purchase price of $297k, less $16k being 5% deposit), now just waiting for the bank to value the property, should know within 2 or 3 business days apparently. Settlement is set for 1 July. We have a tenant in place already paying $295 pw.

We have no PPOR. We have a very affordable ongoing rental situation whereby we pay only $215 pw.
    We have savings of approx $35k and have the ability/income to continue saving approx $2k per week (or to help support IPs).
    We have asked our broker to get the bank to agree to pre-approval of approx $780k. She is only concerned about IP1 for now… she said one step at a time, lets process IP1 first before we ask about further pre-approval… because we found IP1 before the pre-approval was given… ??
    We have asked for an offset account to be aligned with LP1. We are considering asking for LOC for LP1.

This week we found IP2 house and land/off-the-plan priced at $500k with an expected rental of at least $600 pw. We have provided a holding deposit of $1000 while we get our finance ‘approved’.

So although I have a 100 questions I would love to ask, I will simply ask this… what do you think?
    Any advice?
    Are we in a decent situation that will allow the LOC with IP1 to help kick off LP2 if needed?
    Or are we kidding ourselves because we are only injecting 5% of the purchase price and have very little equity? Is this going to hold us back with the banks?

Additionally, we want to get LP3 ASAP… is our bank likely to approve another loan for 95% purchase price for a property of approx $500k with expected rental income of $650 pw?

Ultimate plan is to step away from the work force and consider another lifestyle within 5 years… we are now thinking building a decent IP portfolio is the way help make this dream a reality.

Thank you in advance for sharing your insights and knowledge… much appreciated.

Dragonflyz

Profile photo of DragonflyzDragonflyz
    @dragonflyz

Oh additionally… we are expecting a bonus through my husbands salary to be made available to us come 7 July, of approx $50k or a little more. So although we don’t have this money right now we are hoping the bank might acknowledge this (for example if we can present them with something in writing from his employer as proof of the agreed bonus payment due).

How can we make this ‘bonus’ start working for us now to help ensure we can buy IPs now rather than waiting until mid July to do anything?
    Or do we just have to wait and be patient?

We are trying to look outside the box and tap into possibilities rather than sit back and wait and wish we had planned better.

Any advice/insight?

Thanks heaps!

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m
    Dragonflyz wrote:
    Hi…

I have been watching, reading and learning from the forums for several weeks now. What a great community, I can’t get enough of the shared knowledge and experience I have tapped into here… thanks everyone for sharing.

Yep, it’s an awesome place :)

Dragonflyz wrote:
    My husband and I are new to IP purchasing and we are very excited.
    We would like some advice from those who have travelled and survived the journey so far.

We are in the process of buying our first IP (bank as conditionally approved) with a 95% loan + LMI = $287k purchase price of $297k, less $16k being 5% deposit), now just waiting for the bank to value the property, should know within 2 or 3 business days apparently. Settlement is set for 1 July. We have a tenant in place already paying $295 pw.

We have no PPOR. We have a very affordable ongoing rental situation whereby we pay only $215 pw.
    We have savings of approx $35k and have the ability/income to continue saving approx $2k per week (or to help support IPs).
    We have asked our broker to get the bank to agree to pre-approval of approx $780k. She is only concerned about IP1 for now… she said one step at a time, lets process IP1 first before we ask about further pre-approval… because we found IP1 before the pre-approval was given… ??
    We have asked for an offset account to be aligned with LP1. We are considering asking for LOC for LP1.

OK – your broker should have a good understanding of your current financial situation and therefore know how much you could potentially borrow in the future. You mentioned that this loan is only conditional at present – for that reason, I would probably steer clear of getting a pre-approval right now (and wait until the loan settles). Remember – each pre-approval is another hit to the credit file. You don’t want to make any lenders nervous right now when there’s a 95% deal on the table (which are heavily scrutinized). My advice would be to settle IP 1 first.

Dragonflyz wrote:
    This week we found IP2 house and land/off-the-plan priced at $500k with an expected rental of at least $600 pw. We have provided a holding deposit of $1000 while we get our finance ‘approved’.

When is settlement expected for this property? Since it’s a house/land package it might be a while – therefore, you won’t receive “formal” approval from a bank until closer to the date (around 3 months before settlement).

Dragonflyz wrote:
    So although I have a 100 questions I would love to ask, I will simply ask this… what do you think?
    Any advice?
    Are we in a decent situation that will allow the LOC with IP1 to help kick off LP2 if needed?
    Or are we kidding ourselves because we are only injecting 5% of the purchase price and have very little equity? Is this going to hold us back with the banks?

It doesn’t sound like you have any equity you can tap into. If you’re taking out a 95% lend now – you have no equity to access. Unless you’ve purchased significantly under market value or you add a fair bit of value. You’ll only be able refinance at 90% LVR as well.

Dragonflyz wrote:
    Additionally, we want to get LP3 ASAP… is our bank likely to approve another loan for 95% purchase price for a property of approx $500k with expected rental income of $650 pw?

No one can answer that question without analysing your situation more closely. Even then – the decision comes down to the lovely credit assessors and mortgage insurers. If you’re thinking about taking out another high LVR loan soon, it might be an idea to avoid pre-approvals as you really want to keep your credit file tidy (too much activity on a 95% lend could have the deal knocked out when it’s submitted via credit scoring).

Dragonflyz wrote:
    Ultimate plan is to step away from the work force and consider another lifestyle within 5 years… we are now thinking building a decent IP portfolio is the way help make this dream a reality.

It’s certainly achievable – 5 years won’t be easy, but there are people who make it happen.

Dragonflyz wrote:
    Thank you in advance for sharing your insights and knowledge… much appreciated.

No worries – and I don’t mean to sound negative, just giving my honest insight.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

@dragonflyz

Thanks Jamie.

So are you saying we should avoid pre-approval and just straight up submit a loan application for each property?

(Apologies for the lack of knowledge in this area… still learning)

I gather borrowing 95% is not looked upon in a positive light by banks… when asking to borrow so much (eg 95% for each of 3 IPs)?
    (Even though on top of our combined income of $190k pa, able to save approx $2k + per wk, we will add potentially rental income of approx $1500 pw for 3 properties in total)

So even if the bank has said we have capacity to borrow up to $1.3M before they even considered any rental income from any properties… we are not necessarily in a good position to get approval?

Seems as though we have to consider putting in more than 5% for each property… no?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Dragonflyz

Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi again

There’s nothing wrong with getting a pre-approval and I generally endorse the idea.

However, in your situation, with a 95% loan currently being assessed, I wouldn’t rush out right now to grab a pre-approval.

In general, a pre approval tell us that a) your credit history is ok and b) you can service the debt. However, the big thing that a pre-approval doesn’t tell us is whether the “mortgage insurer” is going to approve the loan.

Seeings your current loan has progressed to “conditional” approval likely indicates that they’ve already carried out a check on your credit file and are happy with it.

For that reason, I don’t think a pre-approval is going to tell you (or your broker) what you don’t already know – ie. your credit file is ok and you can service the debt. However, at the end of the day – a 95% lend on an IP is going to come down to the mortgage insurer.

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

@dragonflyz

Thanks Jamie.

I should have been clearer and offered a bit more background… when we met our broker for the first time )a Thursday evening) we were applying for pre-approval of $780k. Our broker said everything looked great, start looking for a property or 2 or 3 if you wish.

My husband and I got excited that night and that weekend and we found IP1 and didn’t want to lose it ( we had been researching and looking for several weeks but now felt we could choose). So on the Sunday we put in an initial offer expecting it to be knocked back but it was (listed as $285k ~ $309k) accepted at $297 straight up. Based on the fact that we told them we had spoken with our broker and we had been told ‘verbally’ that we had pre-approval, could settle in 30~45 days and not depending on another property to sell, to allow us to make this purchase (the vendor had another offer of $298k but that party was depending on another property selling to fund the purchase so they liked our offer better).

Before our broker had a chance to submit the ‘pre-approval paperwork’ … we asked husband’s brother if he wanted to get in to the market as well and join us on this one (just to give him a chance) but he couldn’t decide, probably a blessing in disguise (not getting family involved) cooling off period was ending, we had to get back to the broker and the REA, so we went back to the broker and she said … ok lets not go for the pre-approval right now lets just submit the application for IP1.

So in summary:
    1. We have found IP1 and have conditional approval from the bank, waiting for the property to be assessed and approved by mortgage insurer (fingers crossed)
    2. We have found IP2 and have placed a holding deposit, but think we need to wait for IP1 to be ‘a done deal’ before we submit application for IP2. This might be pushing it but we want to try…
    3. We are thinking if IP1 and IP2 are accepted, we will look ASAP for IP3… but nothing as yet, just thinking…

Should we consider putting in more than 5% towards each IP?
    But from what I have been reading, the less we can put in the better to help diversify our portfolio.

But Jamie, as you say it all comes down to what the mortgage insurer says… I really hate this waiting.
    Maybe we are trying to do too much too fast…

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions anyone?

Thanks heaps.

Dragonflyz

Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi again dragaonflyz

I don’t see a problem with 95% lends. Some people aren’t comfortable with them but they don’t personally bother me – I like to use as much of the banks money rather than my own. However, as mentioned above – they are scrutinized a lot more heavier.

From your first couple of posts I read that you only had limited savings ($35k) so where are you getting the deposit for IP 2? Even on a 95% lend, IP 1 will swallow up a fair bit of your savings. Not leaving you with enough to cover the deposit/purchasing costs on IP 2.

Actually, it makes me wonder how your broker was going to organise a preapproval for $780k when you only have $35k in the bank.

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

@dragonflyz

Hi Jamie

When we started the process for IP1 we had $35k in the bank (2 weeks ago) we have since saved another $5k.
    We have a savings history that proves we will continue to save at a rate of the same until settlement… to cover the $16k needed for deposit of 5% and more than enough to cover the stamp duty and all associated costs.

Our broker said, you can borrow this amount but you have to fins the funds to support the up front costs for each property… obviously.

In my second post (above), immediately after my initial post… I added the following comment… our broker was made aware of this at our initial meeting/discussion.

Oh additionally… we are expecting a bonus through my husbands salary to be made available to us come 7 July, of approx $50k or a little more. So although we don't have this money right now we are hoping the bank might acknowledge this (for example if we can present them with something in writing from his employer as proof of the agreed bonus payment due).

How can we make this 'bonus' start working for us now to help ensure we can buy IPs now rather than waiting until mid July to do anything?
    Or do we just have to wait and be patient?

So after we pay the $16k deposit and associated costs (buidling & pest inspection and conveyancing = $1.5k) by 1 July, we will have saved more and be 1 week away from receiving my husbands $50k + bonus. The way I see it, we can cover at least 2 IPs with this money, as well as have the stamp duty for IP 1… BUT as you say, it is all a matter of what the bank/mortgage broker says. 

Thoughts… opinions?

Thanks again.  

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hate to say Dragonfly Jamie has correctly pointed out (as always) that anything that requires LMI these days is always up in the air until formal approval has been given.

Lenders or indeed mortgage insurance will not accept the fact that the balance of settlement proceeds will come from a future even such as bonus, sale of an asset etc and always ask for evidence that the funds are in the account.

A lump sum may also not be acceptable to the mortgage insurer irrespective of what your broker tells you.

Of course i am also assuming your Broker has told you that you would never use the $50K bonus as a deposit especially if you still have non deductible debt by way of a home loan on your PPOR.

This course of action is simply ridiculous and certainly not Tax savy.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

@dragonflyz

Richard

Thanks for your input… but if you read the entire thread and what i have siad, I have already answered what you are asking.
    There is no PPOR.
    We are not putting the $50k (after tax) into 1 property.
    We have a letter as proof from employer (employment retention benefit bonus) to say this is guaranteed.

Thanks for suggestion this course of action is ridiculous (even though not entirely an accurate observation of facts)… not so sure how this is at all constructive feedback!

Just looking for some hints and tips and insight from people in here that can shed some light on our first step in to setting up an IP portfolio… not necessarily tell me I am ridiculous.

Thanks.

@dragonflyz

To summarise:
    1. We have found IP1 and have conditional approval from the bank, waiting for the property to be assessed and approved by mortgage insurer (fingers crossed)
    2. We have found IP2 and have placed a holding deposit, but think we need to wait for IP1 to be 'a done deal' before we submit application for IP2. This might be pushing it but we want to try…
    3. We are thinking if IP1 and IP2 are accepted, we will look ASAP for IP3… but nothing as yet, just thinking…
    4. We have current savings of $35k. Plus we have already paid a $5k deposit for IP1 (and $100 for the cost of building/pset inspections and conveyancing) and the remaining $11k for the 5% deposit. We will still have a balance of $26k in the bank come 1 July, as we are continue to save $2k+ pw. We will have 60 days from settlement to pay the stamp duty of approx $13k.  Still leaving savings of $15k.
    5. In July (and after settlement date of 1 July of IP1) we will receive $50k (bank has  been shown proof of bonus payment due and guaranteed ongoing employment for the next 5 yrs), this is the after tax amount.
    6. This means we will have approx $$65k to use for an IP2 and possibly then IP3 as we continue to save at the same rate) AFTER IP1 has been approved and has 'settled'. ?? 

However, I appreciate what has been said here, that our fate is currently in the hands of the mortgage insurer for IP1…

I was just hoping for some insight regarding the timing and possibility of banks approving our purchasing of IP2 as explained above (after IP1 of course).

Maybe we have to let IP2 go (a refundable $1k holding deposit made) because our timing is all wrong.  ??

Thanks again for reading/replying to my post.

Profile photo of quickchickquickchick
    @quickchick

Hi Dragonflyz,

From our experience in investing, banks are very conservative about lending especially on a promised bonus.
    From their worst case scenario, what if hubby loses his job etc.

It depends what you're investing strategy is.
    From a rough estimate, I think your IP1 may cost you about $8,600pa out of your pocket, to cover your expenses.
    As far as negative gearing goes, not too bad.
    Problem with negative gearing is, the more properties you buy, the worse off you are every week. 

Positive gearing is worth a look at… see posts on this forum.

quickchick

@dragonflyz

Thanks quickchick… I think I must have just posted my lost comment as you were writing yours…

I appreciate that we have to prove up front our funds immediately available for IP1, for the bank to be happy we can cover the costs and not be seen as a risk and allow all boxes to bew ticked to ensure we get formal approval. And we certainly have done this.

Our purchase is not based on the promise of a bonus… the bonus will arrive in time for us to fund IP2.
    The bonus has a 2 fold effect of proving to the bank that employment is retained for my husband guaranteed/agreed for a minimum of 5 yrs. Maybe this means nothing to the bank but we can put it forward.

For IP1 we are relying on our savings, which more than covers all assocaited costs, as explained above.

But then maybe we are kidding ourselves… about IP2 and a possible IP3 withing the next 2 – 3 months.

Thoughts???

Thanks again

@quickchick

I wasn't referring just to the first IP re you financing, just trying to demonstrate that negaitve gearing eventually will be self-limiting.
    Maybe you can reach IP3 within the next few months.
    But then your costs will start to add up.
    eg if all your properties cost you $8,600 pa out of your own pockets, that is after the rent. ie they make a loss every year (until they have enough capital gain, or the rents go up). It means that you will both have to keep working for a long time to support your IP's. 
    If you have positive cashflow properties, the more you have, the more your tax return goes up, and if you want you can eventually give up work and live from the positive cashflow.

Good to spend some time deciding your strategy early, and make progress faster. (Have you read Steve McKnight's books?)    

@dragonflyz

I appreciate the replies… I have not read Steve McKnights books, but I have read a lot of his material available on the web in various forms (websites, extracts, forums). Maybe I/we should read one of his books though…

We are hoping, and our understanding, as it looks so far…
    IP1 – already rented at $295 pw, repayments $422 pw – we have to contribute $127 pw. property is 3 yo and our depreciation schedule indicates we will be able to depreciate approx $9k, good for our tax return, on top of the negative gearing. 

Please don't shoot me if I am not right in any way with my understanding… I am still learning! : ) 

IP2 – hope to be able to lock in the IP2 mentioned here AFTER IP1… BUT realise our timing might be all wrong, financially, just for a very short time. This property is off the plan in Gladstone/Boyne island… estimated rent is $650 pw, but probably more once completed and ready for tenants. This would all but cover the mortgage payment of approx $700 pw and continue to rise (from what we have researched/read/ been told). This will be a positive cash flow in no time.

IP3 – Look for a similar set up as IP2, if not a better one.

Beyond this… well we will have to wait and see.

@dragonflyz

Correction – my post @ 1.37 today.

Point 5 – We have paid a total of $1500 for building/pest and conveyancing (not $100… typo with the 5 missing) 

@quickchick

Hi Dragonflyz,

I can see that you are trying to prepare yourselves for a good financial future.
    Good on you!

There is so much to learn, and a "small" hiccup can be quite costly  eg if your property doesn't have any capital gain for a few years, why bother?
    From my understanding, I think that depreciation claimed may have to be repaid if when sold, there is a capital gain?? A question for an accountant.

I strongly recommend reading Steve's revised edition, and try "The Real Deal" by Brendan Kelly and Simon Buckingham, which is examples of recent property deals done in Australia. Leverage off others people's mistakes/successes, cheaper than finding out yourself by accident!  

@dragonflyz

Thanks quickchick… we will certainly be discussing depreciation v captial gains with our accountant (have an appointment with him in a few weeks). Thanks for the tip.

Aso, I have seen 'The real Deal' mentioned in our research so I think I will definitely get a copy and read.

Thanks again.

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

Hi, sounds like you are VERY eager to start. Good on you. Wish I wasn't a procrastinator. Took me many years before I bought.

I'm not a fan of LMI but then I've never had an equity problem so maybe things would be different if I was in your position.

But with 95% lends you need to be mindful of property price changes over time. If your LVR is low you can ride out any dips in the market. With a 95% lend banks may want to recall loans if the property drops in price.

Also with buying off the plan be aware that "projected" values and rents are just that. Look at values of similar properties that are a few years old in the area. What are they worth? What do they rent for? Remember if you need a 95% lend and the value is 5% under the estimate your up the creek without a paddle unless you have the extra 5% cash. 

Personally seeing as you have the capacity to save quickly. I'd be saving a bit then buying at a lower LVR. Or buying properties that you can value add so bring the LVR down.

Food for thought.

How well do you know the areas where you are buying? Do you know what a good deal looks like? I was surprised at you high first offer for IP1. That would have been exactly what they wanted (middle of the given ranges) so no bargain there. May be better to take your time and buy something that is good value.
    I believe in making your money on the way in. Not buying negatively geared properties and "hoping" they go up.

Good luck with it. Keep reading and looking.

@dragonflyz

Thanks Catalyst

From all the reading and researching and talking with people in the IP market with investments in the areas we are looking at, and with discussions with wealth advisers, and with discussions with buyers agents… we have a good understanding of the areas we venturing into. We are very aware of rentals and projected CG in the areas in and around our IP1. We are also aware of what buying off the plan can mean for our IP2, and yes we have researched similar properties in the same areas and what they are renting for and we have looked at projected rent yields and CG for the Gladstone/Boyne Island area.

As for us offering a price in the mid range for IP1, yes we realise what we were doing and we hoped this was the exact price the vendor was looking for, they wanted/needed a sale. There were other offers on the day. We were their best option even though we offered less than the other 2 offers (each were relying on the sale of other properties yet to be put on the market) so they accepted our offer, it was on the money, clean, easy and could be complete in their preferred timeframe. So no not a bargain but we believe a great property, and for us a good one to go to the bank with to get our portfolio started.

We had thought about injecting more than 5% BUT we read and are told so many times that the less of our own funds that we inject into an IP the better. So go figure!

Anyway, we just have to wait and see what comes back from the MI, hopefully tomorrow.

I have to say… I really wish the whole IP process was straight forward but when I read all the differing opinions in these forums, it is anything but… no wonder so many people don’t even bother!

Thanks again.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.