All Topics / Help Needed! / Negative Gearing vs Paying Off FAST

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of GameTimeGameTime
    @gametime

Hi Guys,
    I’m seriously considering an investment property but I’m a little unsure of a few aspects.
    Primarily I’m unsure of negative gearing and the role it should play in my strategy.
    I often hear a lot of people talking up negative gearing but frankly I don’t understand how it could be of any real benefit to me in regards to a strategy.
    I’m 23 years old and currently earning 50k Gross a year. I’ve managed to save up 60k in 3 years and by mid next year should have 100k in savings, which will act as the deposit. I am looking at a 250k loan.
    From the reading I’ve been doing, it seems more logical in retrospect to my age and income level, to aim to own a positively geared IP, by paying it off as soon as possible and pay far less interest to the bank.
    From what I gather, the tax savings associated with negative gearing are minimal in comparison to the money I would save in Interest by paying off the loan quickly. Which in turn allows me to by a 2nd and 3rd IP much sooner?
    To me it makes more sense to negative gear if you’re a high income earner and or have a smaller deposit. I can see some real benefits there associated with negative gearing, but if I’m able to pay off a 250k loan relatively fast, why not do so and look at buying number 2 and 3?
    If anyone could shed some light on this, I would greatly appreciate it.
    Thanks in advance.

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi Gametime

I would have though the opposite. This forum definitely has a more pro cash flow positive following than negative gearing.

With your income, you’d be best served purchasing something that doesn’t cost you a lot to hold (because it will quickly reduce your ability to borrow more).

Personally, I wouldn’t use a $100k deposit on a $250k purchase. I’d look to borrow more from the bank (and keep your hard earned stored in offset for contingencies and/or future purchases). Besides, you might want to purchase a PPOR at some point – and you wouldn’t want to have dropped all of your savings into an IP.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of GameTimeGameTime
    @gametime

Thanks Jamie, that's a great Idea.

I guess if i do decide to purchase a PPOR later down the track, i can use that offset from the 1st IP and have it negatively geared, which i otherwise wouldnt be able to do if i took out a new loan soley for a PPOR.

Profile photo of angelinsydneyangelinsydney
    Participant
    @angelinsydney

Hi Gametime,

I have learned the way this nugget of truth.  you can't eat negative gearing.  A loss is a loss by any other name.  Negative gearing is the sexy translation for "losses."

There is a reason the colloquial name for money is "bread".  That you can eat.

Take care.

Angel

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Think of the future.

If you are paying down an investment property then you are tying up your cash. What happens when, a few years later, you want to buy a place to live in? You will have to borrow more because your cash is all in the investment property.

This means more non-deductible debt. ie higher interest on your new PPOR loan because you had to borrow more.

At the same time it also means you will be paying tax on your income from the investment property.

This has got to hurt!

The solution is to speak to a broker and use a IO loan with a 100% offset account. You will save interest and have your cash available without tax consequences.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of julieanne_wjulieanne_w
    Participant
    @julieanne_w

Hi everyone,

I'm in a similar position to GameTime except that i already have the house (with mortgage of course) and not really any cash in the bank.

My current intention is to pay down the mortgage as fast as possible so that the house reaches a point where it's positively geared. I want to do this, not so much for positive cashflow but  more for a lack of negative cashflow… ie. I don't want the house draining my cashflow every month.

I was under the impression that this was a good way to go because i'd save heaps in interest and i'd build up equity in the house which i thought i could then use to fund my next purchase…

It seems from the above replies that this isn't a good way to go but i don't really understand why ?

Re the above suggestions of holding onto the money for a future PPOR purchase …could you put the money into the investment property to save on interest for the time being and then draw down on this later to fund the PPOR?

Now that i think about it, i don't really have any idea how it actually works – leveaging off the equity in your current property to buy the next one – but i just had a general concept that this can be done … Is this incorrect?

Thanks,

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw
    julieanne_w wrote:

Re the above suggestions of holding onto the money for a future PPOR purchase …could you put the money into the investment property to save on interest for the time being and then draw down on this later to fund the PPOR?

You could use a redraw. But then you would be losing money by paying extra tax.

once you pay a loan it has to be reborrowed to get they money out again (even using a redraw is new borrowings). This means you will be borrowing to buy a private expense and the interest won't be deductible.

Getting good advice early on can save you tens of thousands of $$$$$$$

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Participant
    @jamie-m
    julieanne_w wrote:

Absolutely. But as advised above, do it with an offset account. Think about it – you have one investment property with a loan of $100k and decided that you were going to purchase a PPOR a year later – also worth $100k.

During this year (before purchasing your PPOR) you’re able to save $1k each week. You could pop this in your offset account and reduce the interest you pay on your IP loan. After a year, you’ve placed $52k in your offset – therefore only paying interest on $48k.

The time’s arrived for you to buy your PPOR. You take out the $52k you’ve saved in your IP offset (which increases your IP loan back up to $100k) and put it in an offset account linked to your PPOR. In this scenario, you’ve maximized your deductible debt (IP is at $100k) and minimized your non-deductible (PPOR loan is now $48k).

Hope that helps

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of scottsscotts
    @scotts

solid info in the thread for newcomers… borrow 80% of the total purchase price, put whatever savings you have into an offset account linked to the loan.

Participant
    @julieanne_w

Hey Guys,

Firstly thanks heaps for the above, i didn't fully understand the concept of the offset account before but now it makes sense. :)

Regarding the above advice though, there's something else i need to throw in that will actually change everything… ( i think..)

My house is not actually an investment property, it's a PPOR…. In my mind it's an investment property…and in fact i'm renting it out to three other people but i too am living there and i claimed the FHOG to do this so for tax purposes it's a PPOR…

In this case then, it's non-deductable debt so it would make sense to pay it down as soon as possible right … ?

Then again …. i only intend to live there for the next 6 -12 months and in a few years time i'm sure i will be wanting to buy my "actual" PPOR and i suppose then the current property would be considered an investment property and could then be converted to deductable debt ???

So perhaps… offset account is still the best way to go because it will save me interest in the mean time but then can be used to offset my next "non- deductable " purchase…

I think i just answered my own question ?? :)

Does anyone see any issues with this? Am i correct in assuming that the current PPOR (Non-deductable) can be converted into Deductable debt once i move out?

Cheers,

Jules

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Wrong.  Put all cash into :

1. The PPOR offset
    2. If the PPOR offset contains a balance equal to your debt, put any surplus cash into the offset of IPs

Reason?  You might want to convert your PPOR to an IP one day.  If it still has a debt on it, you will be able to start claiming interest on its loan on your tax return.  This will not be the case if you pay it off.  And don't think redrawing will help you.  It's a stupid ruling, but that is the way it is.  The moral of the story is, don't bother paying anything off.  Put all spare cash into offsets.  Unless as Terry always cautions people, you are one of those people likely to be tempted to just withdraw cash from your offsets and go on a spending spree with it.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Participant
    @jamie-m
    julieanne_w wrote:
    So perhaps… offset account is still the best way to go because it will save me interest in the mean time but then can be used to offset my next "non- deductable " purchase…

I think i just answered my own question ?? :)

Yep, that’s right. Sometimes it helps just to think out aloud :)

Yes, that loan will become deductible once the property turns into an IP. Therefore, putting your money in the offset now (and withdrawing later) is better than paying down the principle.

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @julieanne_w

Awesome !

Thanks Guys !

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.