All Topics / General Property / Can you still buy cheap properties which are positive cashflow or cheap in todays market??

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Profile photo of Nathan BirchNathan Birch
    Participant
    @nathan-birch

Answer is yes, just need to understand the markets and what is out there in them.

I thought I would show a few of my own personal buy and hold additions over the last 6 months.

1) House in Western Sydney
    Purchase price $205,000
    Comparable sales $260,000
    Rent $320
    No renovation

2) House in Orange NSW 
    Purchase price $135,000
    Comparable sales $N/A as house is inhabitable
    Rent $N/A
    Property could do with $50k reno and rent for $650pw+ and be worth $250k+ however am knocking the house over and building 3 x villas for $530,000 with a final value of $310 + $280 + $280 ($870k) with rent of $2000pw

3) Land in Western Sydney
    Purchase price $11,000
    Resold  for $30,000 in 1 day on market after settlement

4) House in Muswellbrook  
    Purchase price $105,000
    Comparable sales $260,000 (after reno)
    Rent $380
    Did a $30,000 renovation and have potential to add a second dwelling to the front of the yard.

5) Unit in Cairns 
    Purchase price $90,500
    Comparable sales $130,000
    Rent $190
    $2000 of repairs to leaky taps new blinds etc…

6) House in Regional town of 10,000+ (NSW) 
    Purchase price $50,000
    Comparable sales $80,000
    Rent $140
    No renovation

7) House in Regional town of 10,000+ (NSW) 
    Purchase price $60,000
    Comparable sales $80,000
    Rent $130
    No renovation (rent should be $150 – $160 with no work)

8) House in Western Sydney
    Purchase price $180,000
    Comparable sales $240,000
    Rent $320
    Needs $7000 paint, carpet, fence, and tidy up.

9) Unit in Cairns 
    Purchase price $112,000
    Comparable sales $140,000
    Rent $200
    No renovation

10) House (undisclosed at this point)
    Purchase price $58,000
    Comparable sales $Hard to compare
    Rent $230pw
    $20,000 renovation

11) Villa in satellite city of Sydney  
    Purchase price $97,000
    Comparable sales $160,000
    Rent $190
    No renovation

12) House in Regional NSW
    Purchase price $8,000
    Comparable sales $140,000
    Rent $230
    Needs $30,000 renovation

So there’s a dozen properties at an average of 2 x properties per month.

Can it be done in today’s market? Yes. Can anyone do it? Yes.  

How? You need to be proactive, need to know your numbers, and need to buy well.

All these properties are bought with upside, are low capital, with strong cash flow and equity built instantly.

I will be driving to inspect a few of these this week and will post some videos of my journeys.

Profile photo of Nathan BirchNathan Birch
    Participant
    @nathan-birch

Forgot;

13) Development site in Sydney 1/3 acre with ability for 3 storey walk up units.
    Purchase price $410,000
    Comparable sales $450,000
    Rent $800

Forgot to mention this as it is my first JV deal.

Profile photo of SmartGenYSmartGenY
    @smartgeny

Inspiring Post

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

my mate just purchased a positve geared property in inner city last week. about a 11 or 12% yield. positive on borrowing 105% with huge potential for capital growth + reno possible to add on.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of xdrewxdrew
    Participant
    @xdrew

I'm still purchasing the good ones in Albury, the good ones in Bathurst and the good ones in Orange. I'm getting good tenants in, having fantastic returns. And on avg with my 20% factored in .. i'm getting about 9.3% to 9.7% gross on my borrowed money. And yes that means for most of my deals, its near neutral or cash positive.

I have two small developments on the go in South East Melbourne bought on cheap land. I also have been doing enquiries on a couple of boarding houses that need a bit of a refresher but are solid, and still licensed (there is a current squeeze on licenses for boarding houses due to issues with effecting arrangements to the surrounding atmosphere. People still NEED this service !)

There is no such thing as a dead market unless everyone leaves it totally. As long as there are people still trading on the market and there are opportunities to be had, there will be people smart enough to take advantage of them.

Just take a look thru Steve's books. The people pluck out properties often which other people would have not seen, have not realised were good deals, or did not realise the potential. THIS is what makes you a good property investor. Recognising what you can do and what can be done with what you have got.

By the way, to anyone who is going to explain to me that Albury, Bathurt, Orange are more risky than usual, I have them only as a small part of my whole portfolio. So for me the risk is ameliorated by the sheer fact they are only a portion of a larger set of properties. They are being balanced off against quality properties and are being paid off with the profit from the cash positive outcomes. I expect most of them to be fully owned by me within 6 years.

Profile photo of Whaleman7Whaleman7
    Participant
    @whaleman7

Well done Nathan, good onya!

I've just purchased a 2 x 2 BR duplex in Townsville.
    Renting for $1000 per week short term, Fully furnished – Average 90% occupancy over the year – $46K return.

Paid $540K
    And the cream is that it has another 500sqm of land on the back that i'm going to build two townhouses on!

Just gotta think outside the box : )

Profile photo of Ch4rlieCh4rlie
    Participant
    @ch4rlie

Very motivating guys, and Nathan great work mate! Orange seems great to find positive geared property, might try and get into that once i refinance.

Profile photo of Don NicolussiDon Nicolussi
    Participant
    @don

Just saw something on my desk today 12% yield.

Don Nicolussi | Mortgage Broker - Home Loan Warehouse
    http://homeloanwarehouse.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

"I think of finance as a technology, a way of getting things done." Robert Shiller

Participant
    @nathan-birch
    Profile photo of emptyvesselemptyvessel
    @emptyvessel

Nathan, you are a champion. Go son!

Profile photo of bjsaustbjsaust
    Participant
    @bjsaust

Nice vids, very encouraging.

I was reading through a back-issue API that featured you, and it had a quote along the lines of: "you won't find these deals on the internet or an agents window, you need to do the legwork.". I'm wondering if you can expand a bit on that, what kind of legwork? Is it just visiting as many properties as you can? Talking to as many agents? For someone starting out, how do you recommend they go about finding deals like these?

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Building rapport with local agents works.

When they know that you’re the real deal, chances are you’ll get the odd call from them with deals that haven’t hit the market.

How’s that 370z treating you Nathan? :)

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Participant
    @nathan-birch

Hi bjsaust,

Jamie is right, I have built rapport with agents all around NSW and Australia over the lat 8 – 10 years and its a matter of building rapport and completing deals to get first bite of the cherry when stuff comes on the market.

I actually launched a product to help people find deals easier called Deal Finder to tap into my resources.

Other than this, I would suggest poundng the pavement talking with real estate agents and buy when the numbers stack up by being both below market value and with strong cashflow. If one is missing, then you must question whether the deal is right for your goals and understand how you are to benifit from acquiring it.

Participant
    @nathan-birch

Thanks EV,

Jamie the 370z is going good! Got my CSHFLO plates on it now so even better :)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.