All Topics / Help Needed! / Negative gearing and Interest only loans questions???

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 36 total)
  • Profile photo of gammonbrusgammonbrus
    @gammonbrus

Hi fellow investors.

If I buy a property and the mortgage repayments are $430 per week (30 year loan term), and rent is also $430 a week it is neutral no tax loss here. However, if I talked to the bank and said instead of a 30 year loan lets make it a 10 year term (is this even an option first of all?) the repayments would jump to $732 per week. Would I be eligible to use the loss of $302 (732-430) as a tax loss, i.e if I artificially increased the repayment amount, is it still ok to claim as a loss? The way I see it is that the benefit is that I own the place in 10 years not 30, and the $302 “tax loss” goes directly into the mortgage as extra repayments, therefore it appears to be more beneficial then someone paying off a larger home loan with the same loss- but only managing to pay regular installments. This situation would probably only work with small scale like $200k apartments and not $400k houses, as to pay the extra $302 per week isnt that hard to manage for ten years, may as well more than double it if it were a house which I cant see being sustainable.

Secondly. Talked to the bank today about getting finance on a place. She mentioned it would be best for me to pay interest only if it were to be a rental property (it would). I cant get my head around why you would want to be paying interest only? I know it means the repayments are smaller, but what are you supposed to do with the “extra” cash? Wouldnt you rather use it to at least take a stab at paying off some of the principle?

Sorry if these are investing 101 questions, but couldnt find the answers for them anywhere.

Thanks guys

Joe

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Hi Joe

Here is how it works:

You can claim, as a deduction, costs of holding the property such as insurance, property management, gardening, etc etc.  You can also claim the INTEREST the bank charged you on your loan. 

So.  If you take out a loan for say, $400k, the bank will require about $554 per week in interest from you.  Now.  Let's say your property earns $300 per week in rent.  So over a year, that is $300 x 52 = $15,600.  But sadly some of that income gets eroded in costs such as insurance, paying the property manager, the gardener, the council rates, the water and sewer service charges from the local water company, bla bla bla.  So let's say that after that, your $15,600 is eroded down to $11,000.  Where does that leave you?

Income less costs: $11,000
    Bank interest: $554 x 52 = $28,808

Loss = $11,000 – $28,808 = LOSS of $17,808

This does not mean that you get a tax refund of $17,808.  It simply means that your taxable income is reduced by $17,808.  So let's say from your day job you earn $60k a year.  Normally, the tax department would calculate tax owing on $60k.  But in this case they would calculate tax owing on $60,000 – $17,808 = $42,192.

So this will result in some kind of tax refund. 

You must remember that it is only the INTEREST PORTION of the loan that is deductible, not the portion that is chipping away at the principal amount owing.

Now.  coming back to the business of you wanting to speed up paying off this house.  Why bother? 

Having a "Principal and Interest" loan (which appears to be what you are looking at doing) is essentially the same as having an "Interest Only loan with an offset account".  In both cases you are charged, and will have to pay, interest.  With the interest only loan, you can churn all your surplus money into the offset account (instead of onto the principal).  This will reduce the amount of money you are charged interest on.  Eventually, you will have $400k in the offset account, which is the same amount as the loan you took out, and thus the bank would no longer charge you any interest at all.  And if you're that way inclined, you could then give your $400k to the bank to pay out the principal, say "yay me, I own one house" and that'd be the end of that.

What's the difference you ask.  Well.  You can withdraw money from an offset account whenever you want.  For instance, when there is a big wad of cash in there, you could just withdraw it and use it as a deposit on a second property.  Conversely, if you had handed the cash over to the bank in a regular principal and interest loan, you'd have to ASK for it back, and pay FEES.  Now why would you want to do that.

Aside from that, interest only loans are better for investors as they help with cashflow.  The bank requires you to stump up less cash every month.  And if you hold onto the property for ages you enjoy the growth in value of the property, without having bothered to pay it off.  Nice.

So.  Get an interest only loan with offset.  Pay the interest portion only.  All extra cash into the offset.  And when that offset account is looking super healthy, pull that money out and buy another property!!  Remember, property goes up in value each year – faster than you can save money.  So the more properties you acquire, the more wealth you will create for yourself.  Then one day when you are older and have a whole bunch of houses all with debt on them, perhaps you'd opt to sell a couple of them to completely pay out the debt on the others, and live off the rents for the rest of your life.

Does this help you?

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of gammonbrusgammonbrus
    @gammonbrus

Hi Jac,

Wow thanks heaps for your detailed explanation. It certainly did help and now I understand why some people prefer to do interest only loans. For me it seems like to risky a move so I’ll stick to interest and principle I think for my next property.

Also very helpful about the negative gearing info. It’s such a pity its for the interest portion only, it therefore becomes less of an advantage if you pay your place off quicker.

Thanks for the help once more

Joe

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

If you get an offset account instead of paying it off it's the same thing (in terms of risk) except you have access to the money when you want.

You may want to access this money for a deposit on a new IP (or something else). By paying off the mortgage the money now belongs to the bank.

Participant
    @jacm

Think of it like this.  Let's say the loan is for $400k.  If you were on an interest only, you'd have to pay say, $554.61 in interest for week 1 (I've based it on an interest rate of approx 7.21% per annum (my rough calc is $400,000*0.0721/52 = $554.61).  Conversely, if you were on principal and interest, you would have to pay the interest plus extra.  Let's pretend you were asked to pay $700 in the first week if you were on a principal and interest loan.

So you could do this;

PRINCIPAL AND INTEREST = you must pay $700 in the first week.

or

INTEREST ONLY = $554.61 and OFFSET ACCOUNT = $700 – $554.61 = $145.39.

So with $1465.39 in the offset account, next week, interest will be calculated not on $400k, but on $400k – $145.39 = $399,854.61.  Thus the interest payable in week 2 would be $554.41 (instead of what it was last week which was $554.61).  So the interest payable reduces each week if you continue to add money into the offset. 

What we are trying to explain is that having a principal and interest loan will "pay your property off" at exactly the same rate as an interest only loan with offset, provided that you part with the same amount of cash each week that you would have if you were on a principal and interest.  So pay the interest you are asked, and put the rest in the offset.  etc.

The difference is, you can get the money out of the offset in the blink of an eye if you want to.  The same cannot be said for the principal and interest loan.  Sooner or later you are going to notice you've paid a bunch of money off the property, AND it's gone up in value, and you will want to leverage your position to acquire another property.  It will be easiest to do so if you have gone the interest only with offset account route.

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @jacm

And another thing to remember about negative gearing.  If you are negative gearing, it means you are making a LOSS.  A loss is a loss, doesn't matter which way you look at it.  It'd be much nicer to have a neutrally geared property, or positively if at all possible.  Loss – yuk. 

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of harryandlloydharryandlloyd
    @harryandlloyd

Now I GET IT!! Thanks JacM for explaining this in laymans terms with examples – I'm seeing the investment light!

May I ask another naive question?

If one were to have a negatively geared IP, can one apply for the 221D tax variation form and place that extra weekly income in the offset account? If so, are there any implications from a  tax perspective?

Am looking at purchasing my first IP soon which will be negatively geared for initial years – even less if I can make it possible! My wage will be able to cover the approximate $100 shortfall (IO loan repayment $400 – weekly rent $300). After paying PPOR mortgage + personal loan + $100 for Interest Only IP loan I will be left with approx $320 to cover utlities, groceries,  etc. Would a 221D application be prudent or is it horses for courses (ie. extra income weekly as opposed to tax refund at end of year?).
    Your thoughts (and examples!) would be most helpful!

Kind Regards
    Kate

Profile photo of N@thanN@than
    Participant
    @n-than
    harryandlloyd wrote:

After paying PPOR mortgage + personal loan

Hi Kate,

If you have a PPOR mortgage and a personal loan I would be putting any extra money that you have (assuming you go IO on your IP) and paying down that debt first as these are not tax deductible unlike your IP.
    I could be wrong but I dont see the point in reducing debt that is tax deductible via an offset account if you still have non tax deductible debt.
    Thats my opinion anyway.
    Good luck with it all,

Nathan

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Nathans right – pay down the non deductible debt first.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Participant
    @jacm

As the others are saying, if you have a PPOR and also an IP, always put all spare money into the PPOR first and get that paid off, because its debt is non-deductible.

Back to the question about the 221D.  I haven't used a 221D yet but will no doubt have reason to in the future.  Think of it like this:

If you know with absolute certainty that your IP will leave you out of pocket AT LEAST $100 for each and every week for the entire year, I would definitely do the 221D.  Here is why:

Pretend the interest rate is 7.21% and that you are in the 37% tax bracket for income tax purposes.

The first week of the financial year, you "loose" $100.  At the end of the financial year, you would get some of this loss back.  Not all of it – some of it.  Your refund on this $100 would be, roughly, $100 * 0.37 = $37.00.  It doesn't sound like a lot, but when  you multiply that out by 52 weeks a year, that gives you a rough anticipated refund of $37 x 52 = $1924.  It'd actually work out a bit more because if you had those refunds in your pocket earlier, you would be able to whack that money straight into the offset account (or on your PPOR mortgage) and thus save some more interest, instead of waiting till the end of the financial year to get your tax refund.  Compounding interest is evil, and it is surprising how quickly small amounts grow to big amounts.

If you know with certainty you will make a loss, why wait till the end of the year to get your refund? 

Remember if you overestimate your loss, when it gets to the end of the financial year, you might owe the tax department some interest, so be slightly conservative in your estimates.

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Just remember this:
    – pay off non deductible debt first.
    – interest is calculated daily, so reducing the interest payable on day 1 will have a compounding effect as you will be saving interest on interest from day 2 onwards and this saving will be exponential.

so,
    – pay minimum on your investments because these loans are deductible.
    – Obtain the income tax variation as this will get you the tax savings every week
    – the tax savings means more money in your offset (against your nondeductible debt) or loan which means great and quicker savings.
    – make sure you are claiming everything possible, depreciation, trips to the accountant etc

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of KimberlyKimberly
    @kimberly

WOW JacM, you have an amazing way of explaining things.
    Really appreciate the way you have communicated. It really helps.

Participant
    @jacm

Glad the forums are helping you – we've all fumbled about on forums, reading magazines and loads of books to assemble some sort of knowledge, and yet there is still soooo much more to know!!

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of harryandlloydharryandlloyd
    @harryandlloyd

My only regret is that I didn't find this website aaaaaaaaaages ago!
    It is such a relief to find an environment in which all oddball questions are answered with integrity and shared knowledge – regardless of  how many times those 'same old questions' have been asked!!

Profile photo of angelinsydneyangelinsydney
    Participant
    @angelinsydney

Hi Harry and Lloyd,

No such thing as oddball question.

One of my homespun philosophy is:  "Better to ask dumb questions than be damned." 

Take care.

Angel

Profile photo of amyhunzamyhunz
    Participant
    @amyhunz

Still working through the issue of IO vs P&I.

I understand the logic of paying off the principle for the purposes of a PPOR. However what if you don't have a PPOR, only investments? Wouldn't paying off the principle place you in an equally advantageous position in terms of future borrowings because you've reduced your debt? I don't see how reducing debt, thus improving LVR doesn't assist in expanding one's portfolio?

I would have thought the benefit obtained through keeping the interest payments at their highest (through IO loan) isn't as favourable in the long-term as paying off principle and putting yourself in the best position to expand.

Then again, having a healthy amount in your off-set will fund a significant contribution to future properties, thus reducing borrowings…provided you don't spend your off-set balance!

Sorry, I just don't see why paying IO on all investment loans is dramatically better than chipping away at debt…it seems in the long run, they work out the same…? IO loans only seem to provide short-term CF benefits and wouldn't having a healthy sum in an off-set reduce your interest payments there-by not maximising the interest deductible?

Now I'm really confused, I'm no accountant so please correct me!

Participant
    @amyhunz

I just don't see how paying off the principle and shaving years off the mortgage is bad? Regardless if a property is an investment or PPOR eventually the debt needs to be paid off and if the balance is significantly less because the principle has been paid off, then I would have thought this would out-weigh the short-term benefit of CF through IO loans? The tax benefit (deduction) from IO loans, I would have thought when you crunch the numbers, would be negligible when compared to years off a mortgage/ reduced debt when it comes time to pay it out…?

Again happy to be corrected…

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

It is not a bad thing to pay down the principal on an IP as long as you dont have any non deductible debt (Trust me i paid off
    $9.6M in nearly 10 years on our portfolio) but it is the opportunityof cost that is the issue.

It is what you can do with the extra monthly amount that makes you different.

Sitting in a IP loan going nowhere or using it to fund deposits on the next half a dozen properties which over the next 10 years is potential going to make you a decent return is the difference.

Have said all that if you are comfotable and nicely living off the rental income of your portfolio why wouldnt you pay down the principal debt.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Participant
    @amyhunz

Thanks Richard…that makes sense. I just don't see how the benefit of maximising interest deductions is better than paying off debt and potentially saving thousands in the long run…

I do see how in the short-term how it provides a great spring-board for contributing to more property. I guess that's what most people on here are looking to do!

Cheers

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Even if you don't have any private debt, there are at least two reasons why paying interest only on an investment loan is beneficial.

1. Your money is locked away and cannot be taken back without tax consequences, and
    2. You end up paying more money per month so that means you cannot afford to invest this money elsewhere – the opportunity cost.

Imagine if you had 5 properties and were paying $1000 per month extra on each. that is about $60,000 pa. In 10 years this would amount to $600,000.

Now imagine that you had no spare cash and hadn't saved any extra, but you had $600,000 available in redraw. You want to upgrade your main residence. You would need to reborrow this $600,000 to purchase your new property. The trouble is that you would have to pay interest on this money and the interest would not be deductible as it has been borrowed for private purposes.

However, if you had used a IO loan with a 100% offset account and then saved the $600,000 in the offset you would have saved exactly the same amount of interest on your loans as if you had paid into the loan as an extra payment. But when you need your money for further private expenses you just take the money from the offset account rather than reborrowing it. This will result in the interest on your investment properties increasing again (because the balance on the offset account goes down), AND the extra interest on the investments will be deductible.

At an interest rate of 7% interest on $600,000 would equal $42,000 pa. Tax on this could be around $20,000. So that means you could have been around $20,000 pa better off by using an interest only loan in this example. Then add in the cumulative effects and the amounts are even larger.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.