All Topics / Legal & Accounting / corporate Trustee

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of st81hp79st81hp79
    @st81hp79

Hi guys,

I am in the middle of setting up a 2 Discretionary Trust with a corporate trustee.
    I have an accountant who's guiding me through this process, but would appreciate to hear from forum mates opinion as well :)
    My understanding  the director of the company is the risk taker person (hubby)
     1st appointer is myself
     2nd appointer is hubby – or it doesn't make sense, he should not be in this position at all because he's career has more chance of being sued.
    beneficiary- myself and hubby

My question is, can the appointer sign RE contracts? or does it have to be the Directors of the company?

Cheers,

st81hp79

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

The appointor's role is just to appoint the trustee. It is the trustee that is the legal owner of the trust assets and therefore the trustee that must sign legal documents. Since a company can't sign the directors of the company are authorised to sign on its behalf.

There is case law determining that the position of appointor is not 'property' and so cannot be taken by a trustee in bankrupcty (say husband is sued the bankruptcy trustee couldn't step in his shoes and take over the role of appointor and then appoint themselves as trustee and distribute all the trust assets to themselves). But some people recommend having a third party appointor too so as to distance themselves from the argument that they are the trust, ie controller. But this is dangerous as the third party could act in their own interests.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of st81hp79st81hp79
    @st81hp79

Hi Terry,

My accountant has got back to me on the above question and you are spot on!
    The "Appointer" they believe can't be sued by an external party, so the role should be safe.

regarding to the RE contracts, you are right, the directors of the trustee company signs the contracts.
    So if that's the case what's the cons and pros of having 2 directors?
    or should I only have 1 director as myself, cause I am pretty much the one who's closing RE deals.

Oh! I forgot, he did mention that if you have 2 directors (hubby & I) if either directors was sued they can resign and step aside. 

Once again, thanks for answering to my questions. :)

st81hp79

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw
    st81hp79 wrote:
    Hi Terry,

My accountant has got back to me on the above question and you are spot on!
    The "Appointer" they believe can't be sued by an external party, so the role should be safe.

regarding to the RE contracts, you are right, the directors of the trustee company signs the contracts.
    So if that's the case what's the cons and pros of having 2 directors?
    or should I only have 1 director as myself, cause I am pretty much the one who's closing RE deals.

Oh! I forgot, he did mention that if you have 2 directors (hubby & I) if either directors was sued they can resign and step aside. 

Once again, thanks for answering to my questions. :)

st81hp79

Hi S

Your accountant is venturing into legal advice there!

Appointors can certainly be sued. But the position of appointor is not something that can be taken by someone else such as a bankruptcy trustee. So no one else should be able to get their hands on your appointorship. But there are cases, one involving a Corporations Act offences and many Family law matters where they have attacked trusts and looked behind them to the controller, so it is still a remote possibilty that someone can get at trust assets. Also any money you lend the trust or it owes you could be gotten at too.

I personally can only see double the risk in adding a second director. It is not needed, a single director is possible. But it may be recommended where control of the company is important. But it is usually the shareholders who control the appointment of directors and with a trust involved it is the appointor that can remove the trustee. Also with husband and wife there is less chance of disputes arising – such as should 'we' buy a certain property – the director could sign and the contract binding.

But the risk is mainly in the guarantees. Banks will want all directors to guarantee the loan, so if the venture fails it would be better to have one person go down than both.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.