All Topics / Finance / guarantors and selling

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of vucko84vucko84
    @vucko84

my parents guarantored 20% of my unit with their property when it was purchased a few years back.

If they want to sell their property now that holds the guarantee – what are the implications for them and for me if I still own my unit?

Profile photo of MarJacMarJac
    @marjac

Your unit may have increased in value sufficiently that the Guarantee is now not required and therefore your parents can sell the property without any problems

Best to call and speak to your lender/bank and ask what their requirements are, they will probably wish to undertake another valuation to establish if you now have enough equity/security in your unit alone.
    I would also guess that the principal amount of your loan would've reduced as well

Make sure your parents obtain a formal release of Guarantee from your lender

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

did they go guarantors or take out a mortgage to help you? If there is only a guarantor relationship, then the bank has no recourse over their assets but a liability should you default.

Profile photo of Mick CMick C
    Participant
    @shape

MarJac and Scott is right- get the place revalued and you may find the LVR is fine for you to service on your own. But even if they do sell, your parents are still liable if you default even without their home.

Regards
    Michael

Mick C | Shape Home Loans
    http://www.shapehomeloans.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Same Banks. Better Rates. Served With a Passion.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.