All Topics / Help Needed! / Australian FHBs go on strike!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of TKlineTKline
    @tkline

This week we have some very big news in Australia that I thought you all might be interested in discussing.

More and more Australians are giving up on overpriced housing in their home country and buying overseas. It's no surprise Aussies are buying real estate overseas. In America, UK, Ireland, and Spain – house prices have fallen back to more sensible levels.

The level of public dissatisfaction with Australia's housing market became abundantly clear today, to myself and thousands of other Australians.

Recent campaigns by renowned advocate group "Get Up!" are championing a First Home Buyer's Strike and also calling for an end to the negative gearing tax break used by many property investors. The campaigns are gaining a huge amount of publicity in the media:

Online campaign targets high cost of housing

Real estate in Australia has exceeded all sensible valuation criteria and we now have some of the most unaffordable homes on the planet according to Demographia, The Economist, and many other respected organisations.

Also gaining much public attention recently is the Get Up campaign support thread and discussion on the Australian Property Forum with literally thousands of hits in a few days:

Get Up! Campaign Thread on AustralianPropertyForum.com

If these campaigns works as the organisers plan, property values may reduce to more sensible levels whereby decent hardworking Australian families can once again afford a reasonable home.

Here are the links to the original campaigns where thousands of people are casting their votes at an ever accelerating pace:

Get Up! Campaign to End Negative Gearing

Get Up! Campaign calling for First Home Buyer strike

If the bottom rung (FHBs) are taken out then the whole property ladder pyramid scheme may collapse. However, the GetUp Administrator has unfortunately suggested that it is very unlikely they will even accept these campaigns, as explained here:

Get Up Administrator suggests campaign may be shelved

Now, whether or not the public believe these campaigns are a good idea or a bad idea, there is no denying the huge level of public interest. The discussion has gone viral across the country on Twitter and other social media sites.

It is important that all property investors and owners consider the impact such a campaign could have on Australian property values.

The public have spoken, and if nothing else, these campaigns will surely be influencing future political decisions about the housing market in Australia.

This has been an important event in the history of the Australian housing bubble.

Thanks,

Profile photo of fWordfWord
    Participant
    @fword
    TKline wrote:
    If these campaigns works as the organisers plan, property values may reduce to more sensible levels whereby decent hardworking Australian families can once again afford a reasonable home.

So? Are families that are living in a 'reasonable' home and paying off a mortgage considered not 'decent' and not 'hardworking'?

What a crock.

The 'Get Up' campaign should imply just that: Get up, get off your butts and earn what you desire in life.

Instead it is breeding contempt amongst a group of people who would rather blame everyone else in the world for their own mediocrity than to look into more productive self-improvement. Campaigns like this generate huge interest because it allows people to vent their frustrations for NOT being able to succeed, to give excuses, wasting precious time in the process, when they could be considering how they can work to improve their current state.

Why should we allow mediocrity to proliferate? On the contrary, we should be applauding those who are willing to 'Get Up', work hard, get some substantial income, incorporate basic saving habits and financial discipline, make sacrifices in the name of delayed gratification, in order to buy themselves a home.

But no, we have a group of people who EXPECT prices NEED to come down so that they can buy a lovely mansion that is minutes to trendy cafes, the beach, the CBD and their workplace for like $50,000. Get real folks. There is a law of supply and demand.

Consider this for a moment. Let's say some catastrophic force resets the prices of ALL properties in Australia (regardless of location or size or finesse) to say, $50,000, without actually reducing livability or population. In the end you still have a huge number of people wanting to live in a small number of desirable locations. Huge demand, short supply.

And the way decent people sort out who buys and who walks away is not by having fist fights. It's by waving their chequebooks. That's how prices of housing in desirable locations skyrockets and is eventually branded as being unaffordable.

In short, prices of houses in some areas doesn't go up just because it does so for fun. It does so because demand is greater than supply. Even in the world of collectibles this principle is very clear. A painting, coin, stamp or any other collectible that is particularly rare will likely sell for increasing prices everytime it goes for sale. Whether the new buyer makes the purchase out of greed, for bragging rights or prestige or just for happiness is debatable. But it's an important concept to understand.

Money talks in this world, folks. And money doesn't grow on trees. I don't like it either and I wish somebody would sell me a beachfront mansion that is walking distance to a capital city for $50,000. But while we're still alive and on this Earth, we better get used to the reality of things.

Geez. What a waste of time.

Profile photo of xdrewxdrew
    Participant
    @xdrew

TKline posted under at least two other names .. on separate threads. It only takes a glance at his current posts to see he's doing almost exactly the same thing on this account.

Talking about housing busts … how the ratio of australian house prices mean that our properties are the most expensive in the world … and extra doom and gloom.

He's pretended to be different ages .. and be different people .. but his story is very much the same .. and he represents the same stuff. Last time he was actively countered .. he went back .. and deleted all his posts.

Its not going to help responding to him. Ignore him and he'll just go away.

Profile photo of RenoTeamRenoTeam
    @renoteam

Thanks for the heads up xdrew, wont waste my time responding to TKL’s dribble :)

Profile photo of crustycrusty
    Participant
    @crusty

T Kline  Yes it is a load of crock You can buy houses in australia for under  i50k even under 50k, they are cheaper and better buying than some df the houses  people are buying overseas in the places you mention   and with trhe FHB you can buy houses cheaper than you can oversereas   Yes you can buy houses for less than one years average wage    Even in places that have  all services and facilities you can get anywhere,  for 2or 3 times the averge wage.      It is like  saying  you cant afford a car  becausethe mercedes benz  you want  is  too dear.

Profile photo of angelinsydneyangelinsydney
    Participant
    @angelinsydney

To the Get Up advocates (if any of them actually reads this),

Let’s assume for a minute property prices will drop – say to 1992 level – I’d simply HOLD on to them. I’m not selling EVER. With exception of a few retirees who want to go bush, hardly anyone would be selling either. You know what will happen to rent????

If not, I will tell you. A studio in Cammeray, 12 sqm, you’re not reading wrong… not a mistake… 12 sqm, it is. Rental at the moment is $290pw. Yes, indeed. If investors pull out of the market altogether and people aren’t selling their houses for peanuts, this rent will go up to $350pw, easy.

What would tempt me, as a home-owner, to sell? If I sell my house at a loss, what would be the point for me?! Go back to renting?! For the same amount as the mortgage payment?!

This campaign doesn’t make sense at all. Doesn’t make economic sense.

Young people need to get real. When I was in lending, young people would come to ask, “How much can we borrow?” And then go, ” but that doesn’t buy a house in Chatswood.” I explain that Chatswood is NOT a first home buyer’s suburb. You have to start at the outer rim, and move in. Upsize. Upgrade….whatever you call it.

My first home was in Richmond, at the end of the train line. You couldn’t go any further by train if you tried. This was back in 1994. Back then it was unaffordable to start at Chatswood!!! And will be in the future, barring any acts of God, as in a tsunami.

I agree with crusty 100%. If you really want a house, you can find one in Australia. IF, this is the big IF, you are willing to start realistically cheap and then move up.

I doubt any of the investors here ever started with a mansion for their first. I bet if we ask for a show of hands everyone started with something small.

Newbies, if you are reading this, don’t take any notice of “Get Up FHB” instead you “Get Up and start buying” before they wake up to themselves.

Get Up, FHB advocates, you really DON’T want to experience an investor strike. Trust me, you don’t. Life will become hell for all. So please perish the thought.

This is my rant for the day. :)

Angelina

Profile photo of aussieguy2000aussieguy2000
    Participant
    @aussieguy2000

I have to say it sounds like a smart and sneaky investor ploy to push some out so that they can move in and reap the benefits… before too long prices go up again and people realise that it was wrong. I for one hope this stagnates prices for the next 3-6months as I am on the verge of buying another property and would hate to see prices jump just before I buy!! :p

Anything that hold prices back for the short term will only cause a mini boom/sudden spike in prices once a correction catches up in time anyway,..

Profile photo of SmartGenYSmartGenY
    @smartgeny

As a young GenY professional that thinks the Get Up campaign is great. Let me put forth a few provocative responses. I am not in the property industry so please critique my logic below as I wouldn't be surprised if it is not entirely accurate or representative.

@fword – There is more to buying houses than just supply and demand, there is also opportunity cost. (Not to mention that demand is dictated by credit).

Let's say a 500K house rents for 20k pa.
    -If this 500k house is a home i.e. owner occupied the owner will need to pay about 40k per year for 25 years to own the house.
    -If this house was rented and the renter invested 20K pa at a rate of return at just 5% in 15 years the renter would have enough invested to live financially free from rent. Obviously this doesn't include tax or inflation but a ROI of 5% is conservative enough IMO to account for this.
    -Alternatively if this is a IP and negatively geared it therefore only cost 10k pa to service the loan(please correct me if I'm wrong here, I understood roughly 50% tax claimed back on amount paid to service the loan) then the ROI will be around about 5% (Not taking into account the increase in house value).

I think it would be a fair assumption that shares would go up reasonably in sync. with houses over the long term therefore making the two investments fairly comparable but a mortgage is a large commitment in comparison to shares/savings/bonds and could be argued with the current debatable housing bubble and rising utilities/rates a more riskier investment in light of the recent pop of the share market bubble.

@angelinsydney – In the coming years there will be a record numbers of retirees. I am willing to bet my future that there will be enough of them with negatively geared IP who wont have the option of holding and will "realize" their gains, resulting in an over supply of property on the market. Are you willing to bet there wont be? Alternatively if I'm wrong my "opportunity cost", I'm sure will be minimal, will yours if your wrong?

Participant
    @fword
    SmartGenY wrote:
    @fword – There is more to buying houses than just supply and demand, there is also opportunity cost. (Not to mention that demand is dictated by credit).

Good point. Availability of credit is very important. I'm no economist, but basic knowledge tells me that a tightening of credit would cause house prices to take a fall. However at the same time it reduces the amount anybody can borrow to buy a house. Tightening credit would not help a FHB as such.

Opportunity cost: it's great, no doubt…to be putting money into a mortgage. However as we have seen, being able to own our own home is an important issue for many. What exactly is the price we put on owning our own home? A book I read made an interesting point: humans are by nature, a territorial creature. We'd rather take an empty double seat on the bus than share with another. We also have our own private space which when invaded, makes us uncomfortable. This happens whether we're walking on the street or driving on the road.

It is this territorial nature that in part explains the reason why people need their own home, and preferably with a good sized backyard, because everyone wants their own personal space which they may even choose to personalise and decorate based on their own tastes.

As such, without adding more complexity to an already complex issue, home ownership is an interesting thing to consider, with many variables in the picture, tangible or otherwise. As such, whether the opportunity cost is really too hard to bear depends on other factors, including emotional factors, which as we know are sometimes responsible for people's actions.

SmartGenY wrote:
    Let's say a 500K house rents for 20k pa.
    -If this 500k house is a home i.e. owner occupied the owner will need to pay about 40k per year for 25 years to own the house.

Most banks will give a choice of a loan term of up to 30 years, and this is what more cash-strapped buyers should be looking at. It would be better to have a 30 year loan term and an associated 100% offset account. This way, if things get tight, it's easier to manage the repayments, but when times are good, more money goes into the offset account, which reduces interest on the balance of the loan and effectively reduces the loan term.

On that note, repayments of $40K per annum on a $500K house on a 30-year loan term equates to an 8% interest rate on a loan of $450K, which is 90% of the value of the home (ie. 90% LVR), or a 7% interest rate (closer to the rate today) on a loan of $500K, which is 100% LVR. Alternatively, most buyers are recommended to have a 20% deposit and borrow 80% (80% LVR) of the value of the home, hence avoiding mortgage insurance.

So even at an interest rate of 8% (currently you can get less than 7% variable interest rates and 5-year fixed rates are still less than 8%) on a loan of $400K, we're looking at less than $36K pa, not the $40K pa we were originally considering, but certainly close enough. Just doing some figures for the benefit of those who might be reading/ looking to learn a little more.

Consider also that if you choose to pay weekly rather than monthly, you will save even more on interest and shave more time off the loan.

SmartGenY wrote:
    -If this house was rented and the renter invested 20K pa at a rate of return at just 5% in 15 years the renter would have enough invested to live financially free from rent. Obviously this doesn't include tax or inflation but a ROI of 5% is conservative enough IMO to account for this.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding your statement. But let's also consider that the said renter has to put this $20K pa into renting a house. That means the $20K is not available for investing. So in tying in with the above statement, the choice is between renting and having $16K pa left over to invest or otherwise paying $36K pa over 30 years to own the house (at 8% IR on a $400K loan), assuming rents and interest rates don't change, but rents generally do increase in line with inflation, if not more.

Of course this doesn't take into consideration other things such as costs to maintain the house (which an owner or landlord has to foot), and the fact that, if a renter decided to rent rather than put down the 20% deposit to buy his/ her own home at $500K, then he/ she has $100K in the bank from the get-go.

However if the 'owner' of the house is really a landlord, then he/ she in reality is out of pocket for a much smaller amount each year in order to control the property. Assume for this example an interest-only loan on $400K for this house, which works out to $32K interest per year (for simplicity's sake, excluding cost of repairs, maintenance, rates, insurance). Rent is $20K. Landlord is $12K out of pocket. Now, just getting out of my depth for a moment (as I'm not an accountant), a landlord on a marginal tax rate of 30% will hence be able to claim back 31.5% (30% tax plus 1.5% medicare levy) of this $12K in the form of a tax deduction, which is $3,780.

In reality, this landlord is out of pocket $8,220 pa to control this property. Naturally we have neglected to consider capital gains. Assuming he/ she has bought well, there is substantial money to be made (ignoring inflation again for a minute, which affects the returns of any investment regardless) which would subsidise his annual out of pocket costs, and more. And the landlord can choose to sell the property nearing the end of the 30 year loan term to pay out the loan and take profit. Or if he/ she is lucky enough to have two investment properties, to sell one, pay out the loan of the other.

Notice we're talking about negatively geared property here. Some folk buy into positively geared property and it makes money for them from day 1. For the landlord, this can become a substantial form of passive income.

SmartGenY wrote:
    -Alternatively if this is a IP and negatively geared it therefore only cost 10k pa to service the loan(please correct me if I'm wrong here, I understood roughly 50% tax claimed back on amount paid to service the loan) then the ROI will be around about 5% (Not taking into account the increase in house value).

The size of the tax deduction is dependent on the marginal tax rate of the landlord, hence it is NOT a 50% tax deduction across the board, and you can only claim a deduction on the interest portion of your repayments, not the principle portion.

There is an equation that I remember reading in Steve's book, which seems to more accurately quantify the values you'd be dealing with when working with an investment property. I would try to quote here (with some changes to the terminology) and digest, if I may (cash down meaning the deposit plus closing costs):

Net profit percentage = [(cash back + expected annual capital growth) / cash down] * 100

Let's assume again these figures:

House purchase price: $500K
    Loan: $400K
    Deposit: $100K
    Closing costs (allow 6% of purchase price): $30K
    Rent: $20K pa
    Costs to control property (loan repayments on 8% IR on interest-only loan): $32K (assuming no benefit from tax deduction, or if negative gearing were 'abolished')
    Expected annual capital growth (assume conservatively 6%): $30K

Therefore,

Net profit percentage = [($20,000 – $32,000 + $30,000) / ($100,000 + $30,000)] * 100 = 13.84%

That is, every $1 invested in this property yields $1.1384. The figures above are rather conservative however, but it is just an example to show that your returns are closer to 14% pa on this property, assuming rents and interest rates don't change. And higher interest rates usually bring higher rent.

Let's do another example, this time with figures I know we can achieve (because I've seen it done on average property):

House purchase price: $449,000
    Loan: $359,200
    Deposit: $89,800
    Closing costs (allow 6% of purchase price): $26,940
    Rent: $18,720 pa
    Costs to control property (loan repayments on 7% IR on interest-only loan): $25,143.96
    Out of pocket costs (after tax deduction): ($25,143.96 – $18,720) * 0.685 = $4,400
    Capital growth this past year (using bank valuation): $51,000

Net profit percentage = [(-$4,400 + $51,000) / ($89,800 + $26,940)] * 100 = 39.92%

Of course we cannot assume this level of capital growth each year (which is only 11%, BTW, not the 20% that some suburbs have achieved in the past year), but just a real life example showing the numbers.

Feel free to correct me on any of the above figures if there's been a mistake.

SmartGenY wrote:
    I think it would be a fair assumption that shares would go up reasonably in sync. with houses over the long term therefore making the two investments fairly comparable but a mortgage is a large commitment in comparison to shares/savings/bonds and could be argued with the current debatable housing bubble and rising utilities/rates a more riskier investment in light of the recent pop of the share market bubble.

I do not disagree that house prices are high, and neither do I disagree with the possibility of a correction. However some people are of the simple belief that the prices have to come down simply because they are high. They may be right, but I believe that unless it becomes very uncool to own your own home, or Australia becomes very unlivable (whether through war, natural disaster or economic chaos), or economic chaos elsewhere, house prices in Australia are not simply going to crash to the tune of 40-50%.

House prices in Singapore are stratospheric, and there have been 20+% falls in prices, particularly during the GFC just past, but it is another case in point: prices don't just drop by massive amounts because they are high. Big drops are caused by events that occur at an international level, and even so, not by 40-50%.

SmartGenY wrote:
    In the coming years there will be a record numbers of retirees. I am willing to bet my future that there will be enough of them with negatively geared IP who wont have the option of holding and will "realize" their gains, resulting in an over supply of property on the market. Are you willing to bet there wont be?

This is a good point, and the movement of the baby boomers will causes changes to the property market. However it begs the following question:

How many of these retirees actually have negatively-geared property? This is a figure that is not easy to work out, unless there is a census somewhere that gives us the figure. Bear in mind also that these baby boomers may have bought their investment properties many years ago, and they are now already positively geared. If the income is substantial, they have little reason to sell. IMO, even a retiree needs a good amount of passive income to support their lifestyle. Relying on savings alone, unless you have huge amounts, is risky.

When the baby boomers move, there is a potential for a reduction in prices in some of the inner and middle suburbs, as John Lindeman alluded to in his book. But we also need to consider the underlying demand from people who are waiting to buy into these desirable suburbs. Is it then possible that the demand for such properties will continue to hold prices up?

Also, if the baby boomers move out of their inner and middle-ring suburb homes, they WILL have to move somewhere else. And where would they move? John Lindeman suggests some locations in his book, for example, the Mornington and Bellarine Peninsulas in Victoria.

Essentially, the change of lifestyle for these baby boomers will have an effect on property prices for sure. But in essence, the early signs are already telling us where to buy.

SmartGenY wrote:
    Alternatively if I'm wrong my "opportunity cost", I'm sure will be minimal, will yours if your wrong?

Ultimately, in this world, it's 'Yer pays yer money, and yer takes yer chances.'

Each should do what they think is right. But ultimately, in instances of polarized opinions, someone will be wrong, and the losses will be great, actual or opportunity cost otherwise.

This is why I think the doom and gloomers have it easy: no investment of time or money, yet the chance of a spiteful gain if they are right in their predictions. While people who work to earn their right to their own home unfortunately have a lot to lose if this is the case. Of course things could very well go the other way, and homeowners will be well-rewarded for their efforts, and justly so, and the naysayers will be left with nothing but hindsight for their children and grandchildren. Such is just the reality of things.

Profile photo of SmartGenYSmartGenY
    @smartgeny

A lot of depth in your response fWord thank you.

At the end of the day the reason why I joined this forum is not to say Property Investing is wrong or doomed, as I have been perusing it for a few years. It was to give a genY perspective rather than let the belief flourish that we are all lazy whiners looking for spiteful lazy gains.

At the end of the day if you are investing responsibly, you are on the right track and will make money over the long run. The quickest or best way is really just a matter of individual preference, its my view that the real estate gravy train is definitely going to slow down at the least. But if that was my background I would probably still stick to it as that is where I would have a relative advantage over another not so astute investor. As apposed to gaining a new skill set in another sector.

Also it's interesting to note that instead of 25yr a 30yr loan is a better option. I would be willing to bet that if new/extended growth does come from the real estate sector it will be from an increase in the duration of the loans now that the reduced leveraging option has generally been eliminated.

Lastly IMO buying a house on an interest only loan is done on the same investment principle as investing in gold and therefore one maybe subject to be being called a "Jerk" from Charlie Munger. Maybe that is why there is such an Us vs Them mentality on this forum :p.

But my endgame is purely to show a GenY mind set, not ridicule and whine.

SmartGenY

Participant
    @fword
    SmartGenY wrote:

At the end of the day the reason why I joined this forum is not to say Property Investing is wrong or doomed, as I have been perusing it for a few years. It was to give a genY perspective rather than let the belief flourish that we are all lazy whiners looking for spiteful lazy gains.

Then it would seem that you are a minority. The vocal amongst the Gen Y sometimes paint a completely different picture. Anyway, I'm a Gen Y also.

SmartGenY wrote:
    Also it's interesting to note that instead of 25yr a 30yr loan is a better option. I would be willing to bet that if new/extended growth does come from the real estate sector it will be from an increase in the duration of the loans now that the reduced leveraging option has generally been eliminated.

Perhaps I should clarify. A 30 yr loan is not a better option than a 25 yr loan per se. Of course, a dedicated home owner who can pay off their loan sooner will save more interest. Therefore someone paying off their loan in 25 years makes greater repayments but overall pays less interest than someone paying it off over 30 years.

SmartGenY wrote:
    Lastly IMO buying a house on an interest only loan is done on the same investment principle as investing in gold and therefore one maybe subject to be being called a "Jerk" from Charlie Munger. Maybe that is why there is such an Us vs Them mentality on this forum :p.

Again, another thing I should clarify. Some people advocate buying a house on an interest only loan, but having an attached 100% offset account. By having your paychecks deposited into this account, and using this account to hold all your savings, you can effectively make 'principle and interest' payments even though your loan is interest-only.

The difference is that the money in your offset account can be accessed as you would from a normal savings account. This is very important of course, because in an emergency, you could access all the savings in your offset account at a moment's notice. However, if you were paying a principle and interest loan, you cannot easily draw out the 'principle' you have paid in the last few months or years.

Consider this example:

If you have a loan of $450K with an attached 100% offset account with $50K of savings brings your effective loan down to $400K. You are paying interest only on that $400K.

If you then get lucky and get an inheritance, you can put a full $450K into your offset account, which reduces your effective loan to $0, and you pay no interest whatsoever.

In essence then, money in your offset account (if it's 100% offset) earns interest at the same rate as your mortgage rate, and tax free. This money is always accessible like it were cash in a savings account. This is an excellent thing to take advantage of.

Hence, someone could choose to have a 30 yr loan, interest-only but with a 100% offset account attached. The more money they save in that offset account, the less interest they have to pay on their loan. This is an important motivator, because the home owner can then see the true effect of them saving even a few dollars each week.

Not sure if I stated this clearly enough. As you can tell, I'm not a mortgage broker, but I sorta get the gist of it.

Profile photo of angelinsydneyangelinsydney
    Participant
    @angelinsydney

Hi smart GenY,

You have provoked some good discussion… that’s is good in itself.

In answer to you question (prediction): @angelinsydney – In the coming years there will be a record numbers of retirees. I am willing to bet my future that there will be enough of them with negatively geared IP who wont have the option of holding and will “realize” their gains, resulting in an over supply of property on the market. Are you willing to bet there wont be? Alternatively if I’m wrong my “opportunity cost”, I’m sure will be minimal, will yours if your wrong?

Firstly, I don’t hold solid statistics but my gut feel tells me there aren’t a lot of boomers, soon to be retirees, who have or hold negatively geared properties. There is not enough of them to make a dent on the marketplace.

There are more of them who will be down-sizing from their own residences. But my gut feeling also tells me that their children will prevent them from selling the house if it means diluting their inheritance. Their children, at least one of them, will have an interest on the house. Why sell a good asset and then buy someone else’s crap?

Sorry to disappoint you Smart GenY, the prediction is not going to happen.

Take care.

angel

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.