All Topics / Creative Investing / How Will Carbon Tax Will Affect Development Costs?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of AlbroAlbro
    Participant
    @albro

Hey all,
    I went to see Steve at his latest rounds of market updates and he brought my attention to the Carbon Tax and how it may affect development costs,  of which he could offer little insight into how costs may be affected- other then up.
    At the moment all i can find are a few vague news articles about the cost of bricks going up by 6-10% and how it may not/didnt really affect steel prices in Germany.
    Im yet to directly contact my accountant, building societies and the commission for further info.
    Does anyone know where to find more (speculative) information about this? Or have any opionions?
    It would be good to understand this and plan either continuing with low cost housing or go into the more premium style developments.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

if it comes out of the ground, it”ll be taxed. If it is processed in oz, it will be hit by carbon taxed. Simply put, import whatever you can because the tax won’t be levied on exports or on imported finished products.

Gotta love Jools & the tax we don’t have.

Profile photo of beediebeedie
    Participant
    @beedie

Im all for a cleaner world and concerned about it as the next person but I dont get it…. is the below correct………….. surely not????

A Pissant’s View

In Carbon Tax on June 3, 2011 at 8:15 am

It is World Environment Day this Sunday.  I cannot wait.  Nor could the PCA, as they hosted a Carbon Tax debate this morning in Brisbane.  I was asked to captain the negative side.  My two fellow supporters were Professor Bob Carter and John Humphreys.  We were debating against Matthew Bell, Kellie Caught and Kirby Anderson.  Google them to find out more.

We were all asked to present for 5 minutes, then Mark Ludlow, from the AFR would adjudicate proceedings.  I took some old boxing gloves just in case things got out of hand.  In fact, as you are reading his, I might be well punching myself in the face in order to cool down.

Find below my short spiel.   Some might recall parts of it from earlier this year.  Curiously that missive remains the most blogged entry we have done, both publicly and privately, and gets new hits almost every day.

Here is what I said:

I used to like Cate Blanchett – she played a great Bob Dylan in “I’m Not Here” – which is somewhat ironic as one of my favourite Dylan song lyrics goes something like this “what looks large from a distance, close up is never that big”.

Which sums up perfectly carbon dioxide and its role in global warming, oops I meant climate change.

Note how it was once called global warming, but given the evidence against a warmer world, it is now spun into climate change.  Hmmm.  And as for Cate, well she better play a bloody great role in the Hobbit or she is off my must see list.

And you can tell Michael Clayton that “he is dreaming!”

The Carbon Tax aims to reduce the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.  Not pollution – not that black stuff that covers you when you go to Honkers or mainland China, or if you live in the centre of a modern city.  But CO2 in the air.

CO2 is a greenhouse gas.

More CO2 in the air equals a warmer planet.  The issue is not whether carbon dioxide warms the planet, it is by how much.

So what do we really know about carbon dioxide?

Here are 4 questions for you.

1. What % of the atmosphere do you think is CO2?  Most say 20% to 40%.  The correct answer is four 100ths of 1%.  As a decimal it is 0.038% of air.

2. What % of CO2 do humans produce?  Most say between 25% and 75%, with some saying 100%!  The correct answer is 3%.  As a decimal, it is a minuscule 0.001% of air.

3. What share does Australia produce?  Answers range from 5% to 20%.  The right answer is 1%, or in total 0.00001% of air.

Let me put this another way – 0.00001% is the equivalent of 10 people out of the whole population of Brisbane or the people sitting at just one table in this room.

4. Is CO2 a pollutant?  Everyone says yes, but it is a harmless trace gas.  Do you like to drink soft drink, beer, champagne?  Well they all have CO2 in them, so do eskies.  If Australia wants to tax carbon dioxide, get ready for some real pain.   There goes the weekend BBQ, Friday piss-up and midweek soak(s).

Plants, by the way, create 33 times more carbon dioxide than humans do, and most of it is harmlessly dissolved in the ocean.  Yes, plants emit CO2, but their net effect is to absorb more CO2 than they emit…and even then they emit 33 times more CO2 than man does.

But don’t take my word for it, let’s look at the official government climate models, which recently stated that if Australia stopped emitting all CO2 tomorrow – in other words if we went back to the Stone Age – the earth’s temperature could be 0.015 degrees cooler by 2050.

Wow.  All our sacrifices for two 100ths of 1% of a degree.

In a perfect world it might be worth it – it might give a bored race something to achieve – but when millions still starve each year; children are still being used as slave labour or worse; people continue to die from malaria, small pox and dysentery and the simple fact that we will just fritter away whatever money is made out of this new tax ….then I am a very firm NO.

Ross Garnaut might refer to my final statement as being “pissant” but the Carbon Tax is really just another way in which Labor can redistribute wealth to the lowest common dominator – nothing more, nothing less.

At least have the guts to call it what it is.

It will do nothing for the planet.  Nor will any other nation be stupid enough to follow suit.

If you want to keep your comments private and confidential contact me directly on [email protected]

"This report is republished with permission of Matusik Property Insights."

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

If the logic behind the carbon tax is to change our behaviour when it comes to consumption, it fails on 2 counts: it provides compensation to industries & consumers, it does not provide incentives to move toward low emission technology or alternative power. Manufacturing can still use oodles of power & pass on the cost to consumers eg aluminum products use heaps of power but will still be widely used.

Will green power cost less if traditionally produced power is affected by the carbon tax?

Profile photo of sFinanceculturesFinanceculture
    @sfinanceculture

Hey i would share that  Carbon Tax will not solve anything. It is inadvertent smoke and mirrors. However the impact of the Carbon Tax, whether at $15 a ton or $50 a ton, demonstrates that the current economic management systems are cracking at the seams. These systems cannot ensure affordable living for the poorest among the working classes, our pensioners and the majority of our retirees, and well our economic management systems have already failed the poorest among us. The Carbon Tax will increase the cost of utilities making life more stressful for those already struggling to cope with the cost of living while for others it will dispossess them further of basic rights and disenfranchise them from many of society's objectives..
    hope u get the point to it..
    thanks…

Financial Advisor
    free grocery coupons

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Insight had a great episode lately that had a professor from Stanford Uni against a room full of climate change skeptics.

The skeptics shot him down in flames. There is so much wrong with where the data comes from, how it is collected, the groups (IPCC) who collate the information and data into reports….. it's a long list.

Then you get the conspiracy theorists who claim that man made climate change is yet another guise for a new world order or a a one world govt. Population control through fear.

I smell a rat J-Lard. This will be the death knell for many industries not in the least housing. Scott summed it up the best. Time for another election, lets get on with it.

If the tax comes in, I doubt I will be developing for much longer.

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.