Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Profile photo of st81hp79st81hp79
    @st81hp79

Hi to all,
    Firstly I would like to say how informative this forum has been for me. You guys have been GREAT!

Lately, I have been kicking myself for taking my accountant's advice.
    I have gone to him many times about whether i should set up a trust or not. He says that unless I'm concerned about asset protection why would I need to set one up? I discussed with him that my intention is to minimise tax.
     I like the flexibility  in distributing  income, it could work well for me if my hubby still enjoys working – He replied, 'why would you need to worry about that as inflation will change the tax bracket income anyway?' :(

I have just settled in another IP in dec 2010 which sitting on neural, and I now believe that I should have purchased the property under a trust.
    Is there a way to transfer the asset to the trust without triggering GGT.

Also, I am in a postion to purchase again. I have already set up a LOC from IP1 – the loan is in joint names.
    If I were to set up a trust now, and purcahse additional IP's using the deposit from the LOC, how could I claim the interest on the loan under the trust?

I have an appointment with Chan & Naylor tommorrow, hopefully they can discuss and help me with choosing a type of trust that is beneficial for me. Would it be a DT? or PIT?
    I heard that a PIT does not decease after 80 years.
    As Terry was mentioning in one of the threads, he's got a good point about SA being the only state that doesn't have legislation agaisnt perpetuities. So I don't know if a PIT would work for me as I'm  a resident in VIC.

It's something I need to investigate.
    Is there anything else I need to be aware of when setting up a trust?

Any help will be much appreicated.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Transferring your last IP may not trigger cgt but you will be liable for stamp duty. You will need to have your trust set up prior to signing your contract of sale.

Profile photo of st81hp79st81hp79
    @st81hp79
    Scott No Mates wrote:
    Transferring your last IP may not trigger cgt but you will be liable for stamp duty. You will need to have your trust set up prior to signing your contract of sale.

Hi Scott,
    My apologies, sorry I meant stamp duty.
    Let's say if I was to sell my last IP property to the trust can I sell at any price? or does it have to be market value?

Profile photo of ToobToob
    @toob

Hi st81hp79

I am in exactly the same position and have an appointment with C&N in 2 weeks.  Please let us know the outcome of you meeting as too what they suggest is best.  I am nervous about the PIT due to alot of information suggesting how difficult finace can be to obtain.  Also unsure how the ATO views this structure.

Cheers

Toob

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

If you want to set up a "PIT", you need to ask some serious questions, especially about the "never ending" bit.

It is true that SA is the only state with no legislation against the laws of perpetuities, but there are well established common laws against perpetuities – would these apply if there is no legislation?

Are they relying on the "what and see rule" regarding perpetuities. ie wait 80 years and see if the trust offends the laws against perpetuies –  where a trust or a will may/may not offend the rule, then the trust can be valid as the rule may not apply in 80 years (everybody named may be dead before then).

What does it mean to "have" a SA trust? What determines the location or domicile of the trust? Is it:
    – the governing State as noted in the trust deed?, or
    – the location of the Trustee?, or
    – the location of the property of the trust? (what happens if some property is in VIC, and some in SA)?

You are also not restricted in setting up a SA trust with any particular firm.

Also, if you are going to have units issued by the trust – what are the CGT implications on the sale of the property? Does the trust need to redeem the units (and unit holder pay CGT) and then the trust sell the property and it also pay CGT?

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

@st81hp79
    Terryw wrote:
    If you want to set up a "PIT", you need to ask some serious questions, especially about the "never ending" bit.

It is true that SA is the only state with no legislation against the laws of perpetuities, but there are well established common laws against perpetuities – would these apply if there is no legislation?

Are they relying on the "what and see rule" regarding perpetuities. ie wait 80 years and see if the trust offends the laws against perpetuies –  where a trust or a will may/may not offend the rule, then the trust can be valid as the rule may not apply in 80 years (everybody named may be dead before then).

What does it mean to "have" a SA trust? What determines the location or domicile of the trust? Is it:
    – the location of the property of the trust? (what happens if some property is in VIC, and some in SA)?

Also, if you are going to have units issued by the trust – what are the CGT implications on the sale of the property? Does the trust need to redeem the units (and unit holder pay CGT) and then the trust sell the property and it also pay CGT?

Hi Terry w,

I'm glad that you have join in this thread, I have learned a lot by reading your post

I had gone to  the appointment with C&N today, the accountant there explained about the  "PIT"
    –  Takes 3 weeks to set up  the trust, cost approx $3500
    – The trust will be set up in SA, stamp in SA and then VIC so the  "never ending" bit can affect in VIC
    – The trustee /property does not require  to be in SA
    – PIT is like a Hybrid Trust  (Is that something i need to steer clear from?)
    – Preferably 1 to 2 properties per trust ( minimise your risk in being sued and reduces land tax????

The accountant told me  PIT  has been for around 5-6 yrs, has all the ticks from the ATO. He also mention Hybrid trust and DT are favourably looked at by the ATO lately.
    Also, he advise I should not set up a DT. The rule's have change "no cloning" once  the trust has lasped after 80yrs the asset will be sold at market value. Ouch…

He will send me  an email regarding more information about the ruling in the PIT.

In addition to your comment above" What and see rule"
    Maybe it's best for me to use the same "vehicle" buying property in joint names

Or should I see other accountants for second opinions?
    Any experienced property investing accountants out there? (south east Melbourne)

Cheers,
    st81hp79

@st81hp79
    Toob wrote:
    Hi st81hp79

I am in exactly the same position and have an appointment with C&N in 2 weeks.  Please let us know the outcome of you meeting as too what they suggest is best.  I am nervous about the PIT due to alot of information suggesting how difficult finace can be to obtain.  Also unsure how the ATO views this structure.

Cheers

Toob

My Feed back about C&N, I  was disappointed with the outcome. I spent half an hour with them going through my Financial Health Check because they did not receive a faxed copy of my Form in which the Sydney head office should have already faxed to them for  them to review my details before  the appointment.

Also, be prepared to ask questions (and write down notes) as they will only answer to your questions. eg if terryw had not mentioned about the PIT being set up in SA, I doubt C&N would have said anything.

And with 'obtaining finance' I have asked C&N that question as well – they suggested speaking to the C&N Finance team, obtaining finance  wouldn't be an issue but it might be more difficult if you went and got the finance yourself. (so I guess it is difficult to obtain finance)

Let me know about your experience at the appointment

st81hp79

Participant
    @terryw
    st81hp79 wrote:
    Terryw wrote:

Hi Terry w,

I'm glad that you have join in this thread, I have learned a lot by reading your post

I had gone to  the appointment with C&N today, the accountant there explained about the  "PIT"
    –  Takes 3 weeks to set up  the trust, cost approx $3500
    – The trust will be set up in SA, stamp in SA and then VIC so the  "never ending" bit can affect in VIC
    – The trustee /property does not require  to be in SA
    – PIT is like a Hybrid Trust  (Is that something i need to steer clear from?)
    – Preferably 1 to 2 properties per trust ( minimise your risk in being sued and reduces land tax????

The accountant told me  PIT  has been for around 5-6 yrs, has all the ticks from the ATO. He also mention Hybrid trust and DT are favourably looked at by the ATO lately.
    Also, he advise I should not set up a DT. The rule's have change "no cloning" once  the trust has lasped after 80yrs the asset will be sold at market value. Ouch…

He will send me  an email regarding more information about the ruling in the PIT.

In addition to your comment above" What and see rule"
    Maybe it's best for me to use the same "vehicle" buying property in joint names

Or should I see other accountants for second opinions?
    Any experienced property investing accountants out there? (south east Melbourne)

Cheers,
    st81hp79

Hi S

Thanks for the feedback.

There is nothing wrong with hybrid trusts (part discretionary, part fixed) as long as they are used commercially then you won't have any problems wit the ATO. But the problem with this is your trust will be acting like a unit trust initially. this will mean lack of tax flexibility, lack of asset protection etc. It may also mean you will need to pay CGT on the units being bought back by the trust when it converts into a discretionary trust. This could possibly result in double CGT. You should ask about this.

$3500 is very expensive.

True, the cloning rules have been tightened – but not sure how this applies as it wouldn't have been possible for one trust to clone and avoid the vesting rule in 80 years – to clone both trusts had to be identical, which included the vesting date.

It is not just the PIT that has no vesting date, that can continue indefinitely, it is any trust domiciled in SA (assuming the common law rules against perpetuities don't apply).

I would get a second opinion.

Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Participant
    @terryw

Another thing.

Finance could be difficult, depending on how the trust is structured. If you have a company as trustee and then the trust issues units to the individuals then the problem will be finding a lender who will allow the title in the company name, but the loan in the individual name = third party lending. Not many lenders will do it now.

Email Me

@toob

Hi St81hp79

Thanks for the feedback on your experience.  I will post on my experience and will ask alot of questions.

Cheers

Toob

@toob

Hi Terryw

Regarding your comment on there being no issue with Hybrid trsuts with the ATO provided they are used and set up commercially, does the ATO provide any guidance (in plain english) as to there requirements and what they like to see in a trsut deed? 

Is there any way to find out if the ATO is happy with the PIT setup?  As currently my enquiries with the ATO have not resulted in any clear answer.

Regarding getting a second opinion on the best structure do you know any good property Accountants and Solicitor in Brisbane that you could recommend?

Cheers

Toob

Participant
    @terryw

You will have to read the tax rulings and IDs and Private binding rulings issued on hybrids.

In the old days various accountants were marketing hybrid trusts and saying you could get the units in the name of the highest income earner to claim a higher deduction and then when you sell the trustee can distibute the CG to the beneficiary with the lowest income.

The ATO said, why the heck would anyone borrow to buy units in a trust if they did not have the certainty of getting the benefit from any gain. It doesn't make commercial sense. So the be able to claim the interest on money used to buy the units the unit hold must be entitled to a fixed part of the gain.

You will find that there are probably many different versions of the PIT trust deed as it has evolved over the years. Having a ruling which says it is ok would only apply to that exact deed.

Anyway, here are some resources on hybrid trusts:
    National Tax & Accountants’ Association Ltd    2007    Using hybrid trusts – advanced tax planning or tax nightmare?    Practice Hot Spots Seminar 2007    http://www.ntaa.com.au/media/associationatwork/Usinghybridtrusts.html

TD 2009/17    http://law.ato.gov.au/atolaw/view.htm?docid=%22TXD%2FTD200917%2FNAT%2FATO%2F00001%22

Forrest v Commissioner of Taxation [2010] FCAFC 6

http://prc.macquariegs.com.au/documents/precedents/mgs/free/THDTEMA00501.pdf

http://prc.macquariegs.com.au/documents/precedents/mgs/free/THDTEMA00401.pdf

Email Me

@st81hp79

Hi Terry,
    Sorry for my ignorance, with a unit trust do you have to distribute income exactly according to the units you hold in the unit trust?

If so, then I am better off setting up a DT with a corporate trustees because of its flexibility in distributing income.

And if I were to establish a DT with corporate trustees, how difficult is it to obtain finance? would it be the same principle as to financing in your own name?

Oh, that reminds me i have to email C&N last tax return, apprently the accountant at C&N says it's impossible for me to distribute a percentage of the income to my hubby because we are partnership owners to the business, the income would have to be 50/50. He is very curious and would like to have a quick review at tax return.  

Cheers
    st81hp79

Participant
    @terryw
    st81hp79 wrote:
    Hi Terry,
    Sorry for my ignorance, with a unit trust do you have to distribute income exactly according to the units you hold in the unit trust?

If so, then I am better off setting up a DT with a corporate trustees because of its flexibility in distributing income.

And if I were to establish a DT with corporate trustees, how difficult is it to obtain finance? would it be the same principle as to financing in your own name?

Oh, that reminds me i have to email C&N last tax return, apprently the accountant at C&N says it's impossible for me to distribute a percentage of the income to my hubby because we are partnership owners to the business, the income would have to be 50/50. He is very curious and would like to have a quick review at tax return.  

Cheers
    st81hp79

In asnwer to your Q about unit trusts and distribution of income, the trustee will have to distribute in accordance with the trust deed. There are many different types of unit trusts out there so things will vary, but generally unit holders will have fixed percentage ownership and any income from the trust will have to go to the unit holders in these percentages. So there is no flexibility. But you could have your units owned by a DT and then get the flexibility too.

Also the units are property so if the unit holder where to go bankrupt then the units would be available to creditors. This isn't the case with a DT, usually, as no one person has any right to any income of the trust – just a right to be considered by the trustee when they are making a distribution.

Whether a DT is good for you will depend on your situation. there are land tax and tax loss considerations too. eg Any loss in the trust cannot be used to offset your personal income.

Finance for a DT with company should not be hard. only slightly more difficult than loan in personal name.

A partnership is very dangerous. You should seek advice about running the business thru a company and then having hte shares owned by a DT so any profit flows in to the trust and this can help offset any loss from property investing.

Partnership income needs to be split in accordance with the partnership agreement  – I would think.

Email Me

@st81hp79

Hi Terry,

We have had the business for over 8 yrs – the first 5 yrs we did split the income evenly until my hubby went back to work full-time.

My accountant suggests to distribute only a percentage of the business income to my husband to minimise tax. And he mentioned that it's possible only if the partnership is husband and wife – and if either one of us works fulltime outside the business.

Also, I had thought about  transferring the business to trust/ Company "A" and offset trust   "B" which holds negitve IP.
    But if I were to sell the business as a partnership the tax on the 'good will' will be  25%. So is there a tax discount if i were to sell the business via the trust/Company?

Participant
    @terryw

I don't know much about partnerships and tax.

If you sell to a company or trust you will still have the issue of tax as the transfer must be taxed at market value. But there are various concessions for tax on sale of a business.

You may also be able to do it by slowly starting up from strach with the new company and slowly winding down the partnership. It would all depend on your situation.

maybe you need a second opinion.

Email Me

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.