All Topics / Finance / maximum gearing and ‘moving’ equity

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of mjjgmjjg
    @mjjg

Hi,
    We’ve just bought a second house. We wil be moving out of our current house, which we own – with a mortgage. We intend to refinance. We will definitely go to interest only on the invetment property (our current house).

I have always believed that banks would lend up to 95% on an investment property and that it was possible to ‘move’ equity to the new property. The bank’s (Westpac) lending officer has told us that they would only go to 80% and the tax deductability of interest payments would only be allowed on the extra borrowing (ie; basically we would convert the mortgage on the investment property from about 200K to about 400K). He reckons the tax departnment only allows tax deductions on the interest paid on the extra 200K.

This doesn’t seem right to me.

Questions are:

(i) is it possible to borrow more than 80% on an invetsment property? and

(ii) is tax deducution allowed only on interest on ‘new’ borrowings when ‘converting’ one’s current ‘principle place of residence’ into an invetsment property?

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m
    mjjg wrote:
    (i) is it possible to borrow more than 80% on an invetsment property?

Yep, up to 95% is possible at present. Not easy – but certainly possible.

mjjg wrote:
    (ii) is tax deducution allowed only on interest on ‘new’ borrowings when ‘converting’ one’s current ‘principle place of residence’ into an invetsment property?

Tax deductibility is determined by “purpose” – what is the “purpose” for borrowing the funds. If you’re borrowing to purchase a new “primary residence” then these funds will not be deductible (because it’s not an investment). However, the loan on your current primary residence will become tax deductible once it converts into an investment property.

FYI – your Westpac banker is crossing your loans and restricting your borrowing to 80% LVR (this is giving them total control of your assets whilst minimising their risk). This is not in your best interest. I know this is going to sound incredibly biased – but this is a perfect example as to why using a broker who understands investments can be of a huge advantage.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek
    mjjg wrote:
    The bank's (Westpac) lending officer has told us that they would only go to 80%

I am not a broker but if you are self-employed this may be a reason for the LVR limit stated.

It may also be a postcode (greater risk for bank) issue for one or both of the properties. 

Profile photo of TC62TC62
    @tc62

I don't understand alot of the lay public who don't understand the enormous benefits of utilising the advice and help of professionals – particularly when they're free of cost and obligation. Look at Mortgage Brokers for instance: must be licensed, have the required educational qualification and stick to strict codes of conduct. They're FREE people – use their experience, knowledge and advice and then decide whether you can do better yourself! What does Robert Kiyosaki say in 'Rich Dad, Poor Dad': POOR DAD listens to friends and relatives RICH DAD listens to experts and follows their advice.
    There! I've had my 'vent' for the week folks!

CHEERS!
    TC

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m
    Derek wrote:
    mjjg wrote:
    The bank's (Westpac) lending officer has told us that they would only go to 80%

I am not a broker but if you are self-employed this may be a reason for the LVR limit stated.

It may also be a postcode (greater risk for bank) issue for one or both of the properties. 

Good point Derek. I was assuming a full-doc loan.

In any case, you don’t need to cross your securities to achieve the same outcome.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw
    mjjg wrote:
    Hi, We've just bought a second house. We wil be moving out of our current house, which we own – with a mortgage. We intend to refinance. We will definitely go to interest only on the invetment property (our current house). I have always believed that banks would lend up to 95% on an investment property and that it was possible to 'move' equity to the new property. The bank's (Westpac) lending officer has told us that they would only go to 80% and the tax deductability of interest payments would only be allowed on the extra borrowing (ie; basically we would convert the mortgage on the investment property from about 200K to about 400K). He reckons the tax departnment only allows tax deductions on the interest paid on the extra 200K. This doesn't seem right to me. Questions are: (i) is it possible to borrow more than 80% on an invetsment property? and (ii) is tax deducution allowed only on interest on 'new' borrowings when 'converting' one's current 'principle place of residence' into an invetsment property?

Don't take tax advice from a bank employee. The bank is not licensed to provide this advice and it is incorrect anyway.

The extra $200,000 will be borrowed to buy a property which you will live in, therefore it is unlikely to be investment/business debt and therefore the interest on this portion won't be deductible. If you increase the investment loan to $400k without splitting it then you will be throwing money away as it will be difficult to apportion the interest and any deposits into this loan will be coming off your investment portion as well as your private portion 50/50.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of ksherwellksherwell
    @ksherwell

Hi Mjjg,

I agree with Terryw, in regards to 80% lend, CBA have just upped their LVR to 95% and for a low rate look at St George who are offering 1% off.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Incredible isnt it a Banker giving Tax advice wants next the girl at the local will do in branch your'e conveyancing.

Simple answer is approach someone who knows what they are talking about.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.