All Topics / General Property / Help… Bad tennants and damage

Viewing 12 posts - 21 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Raise the issue with the licensee of the agency. If you have no joy, take the agent to the Vcat/Fair trading.

Profile photo of RachelMRachelM
    @rachelm

I did.. I raised the whole disclosure of information with the Licensee.

He did not read my complaint properly, said the issue was rectified and that the girl in charge does a fantastic job and he has full faith.

I wrote back saying read the email properly and he never responded. The tenants were due to move out in a few days so I thought hold on till then, less messy that way.

But then I found out they were in arrears, I just said end it now.

It's funny they guarantee "their service" – I am very tempted to ask for a refund

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Wow Rachel, what a waste of time and money.

Good learning experience tho. There is a thread on bad PM's if you look for it (property managers too busy, I think it is), feel free to add yours to the ever growing list.

It's good that you have put everything in writing. Talk to your solicitor to see if there is anything else you can do. Good luck with this issue and get a resolution.

I'd probably ask for a refund, just for fun.

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

@rachelm

I think I will..

Profile photo of cuteyoungchiccuteyoungchic
    Participant
    @cuteyoungchic

No sure what Vcat is, but your local Real Estate Institute will also be very interested.
    How much notice did you give the Property Manager Rachel?
    The bond is likely to be equal to the rent, so what of the damage bill?
    And yes, as Scott No Mates has suggested, raise the issue with the licensee of the agency – in writing is usually beneficial..
    It's common for Property Managers to "feel sorry for tenants."   :(
    Fingers crossed for you Rachel.
    Cheers, 

@rachelm

Thanks cuteyoungchic…the contract states 14 days but I spoke with the real estate board and they said if the property is vacant I don't have to give them any notice. I stated on the day the tenants move out that I don't want them to continue so officially I didn't give them any notice.

I phoned the real estate board when they wouldn't answer my emails about rent, the real estate board said they normally have a good track record and to keep on trying.

The PM is under the impression that the tenants will try to pay the rent and damages to avoid being blacklisted.. and realistically,  I am prepared to accept a payout figure now rather than go through the courts, however, I highly doubt this will happen.

The PM is now disputing the damage, and I have said to them if by their actions I incur a loss then I will be forced to pursue them. Today is d-day for the tenants paying the money… and also what I do with the real estate.

I have already contracted a different PM for the ongoing management so it is all under wraps but I am debating what to do so the clown PM's don't cost me more money.

@rachelm

The saga continues… the tenants have not accepted the payout figure and this means they officially have not moved out of the property… and I now have to evict them..

WHYYYYY didn't the PMs advise me that they had fallen behind on rent and this process could have been started originally..

Participant
    @cuteyoungchic

You've still got some of the balance left of the 14 days notice you gave the Property Manager Rachel?
    If so, then can you get her/her boss, to move her butt as fast as possible towards taking the tenants to court?  Usually tenants don't turn up to court, but instead do a midnight flit the night before.

@rachelm

Yep, already on to it..   it is a 14 day notice to vacate.. in which she says that the tenant will repair the damage and pay the rent and get the bond back…this is the 2nd time she has said this…  is she in la la land???

Participant
    @cuteyoungchic

I was wondering about the 14 days notice you gave to the Property Manager when you sacked her?
    How many of those days are left?
    If they're not out by then, what will you do?

@rachelm

I phoned up the consumer affairs then they transferred me through to the real estate complaint board – (this was before the latest turn of events)

For the PM not telling me about the damage and then about the arrears in rent (which began after they gave notice) equated to bad customer service, not negligence!!!

The complaint board suggested that I use them to get the property repaired, and to get it back to a rental standard, and if need be, to go to court.

I explained that I was worried about them acting in my best interests at court and I would prefer to do it alone, and they said it's daunting to go by yourself and that I should use them as that is what they are there for, but to accompany them.

With this advice in hand I see I only have these options:

1. Retain the service of the bad PM for the remainder of this tenancy, and to go to court if necessary, buy micro-manage every step.
    2. Transfer the entire PM to the new PM (which means the bond documentation, lease details, repair quotes, history, contact details) to the new PM and allow them to act on my behalf and go to court on behalf of this.
    3. Stop using their service and do it myself.

I highly doubt that they will pay so it's more than likely going to go to court.. and I think it will be a detriment for the new PM to take over, as they won't be across all of the details.

So I guess it either 1 or 3!!! 

As the bad PM appears happy enough to manage this tenancy through the end and the new tenancy to the new PM, I guess I am l leaving myself open for the bad PM to just dump me when the 14 days (there are 5 days remaining) comes to fruition or do a bad job in court!

What would you do in this situation?

Participant
    @cuteyoungchic

Hi Rachel,
    I didn't see your March 31st letter arrive???
    I would've chosen step 1, then held my breath!
    Which did you choose?

Viewing 12 posts - 21 through 32 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.